“A 36-year-old man was shot and killed Tuesday night while he was attempting to rob an elderly couple outside a Northwest Dallas grocery store, police say.” I’m sorry, what was that? Two people who had just finished their grocery shopping were victimized by an armed attacker? But we thought people doing their marketing only want #GroceriesNotGuns. It’s a good thing 71-year-old Ronnie Lummus doesn’t pay attention to hoplophobic harpies and was toting a shootin’ iron. “The man knocked the woman to the ground and tried to rob her. The woman’s husband, 71-year-old Ronnie Lummus, pulled out a handgun and fired several shots at the man as he was attempting to flee in his car. The man got in his car but died before fleeing, police said.” . . .
“A picture posted to Facebook is stirring up controversy at a Massachusetts high school after two high school sweethearts posed with large airsoft guns before their homecoming dance last week,” necn.com reports. “‘We took them with the airsoft guns because it’s our hobby, and we wanted to include them,'” now-suspended Bristol-Plymouth Regional Technical School student Jamie Pereira said.” Wait. What? There were no threats in the photo or caption and besides, what jurisdiction does a public school have regarding students’ non-school-related Facebook posts? What possibly justification for the suspension? Glad you asked . . .
Dimitrios Karras [above] isn’t shy about coming forward, as the Brits are wont to say. The Ares Armor CEO has been fighting the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (and Really Big Fires) ever since the agency SWATted his digs re: Ares’ 80 percent AR lowers. Karras has now expanded his fight to defend his/our Constitutional rights and, lets face it, generate publicity/sales, to a new front: the San Diego Sheriff’s Department. Karras is pissed that the SDSD has deleted his posts on their Facebook page because the comments . . .
One of the most infuriating aspects of the Sand Hook Elementary School massacre: the information blackout in its immediate aftermath. The cynical amongst you might say that the results of the investigation into the tragedy were delayed long enough for Governor Malloy and his boyz to ram through gun control laws – despite the fact that none of the new laws – not one of them – would have prevented Adam Lanza’s heinous crime. Key details of the police response (e.g. their delayed entry into the school) were withheld from the public. The crime scene was literally bulldozed before experts could use it to learn lessons for future attacks. And now, almost two years later, we note that the school’s active shooter plan was fatally flawed. Literally . . .
As we all know, only a tiny fraction of firearm owners actually carry their guns on a regular basis. That’s a sad state of affairs because as many respected analysts have pointed out, more guns means less crime. On the whole. Still, it’s easy for many to rationalize leaving their heater at home, particularly women who tend toward clingier clothing that makes effective concealment a challenge. So mad props are in order for Tiffanie Lizette Bass of Raleigh, North Carolina for conspicuous ingenuity in the art of concealed carry. Ms. Bass was swept up last week in a dragnet conducted by the RPD and state alcohol revenuers at a gin joint called Club Rumors . . .
After Islamic terrorist Michael Zehaf-Bibeau gunned down Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, a reservist with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders standing guard at Ottawa’s Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the Canadian government removed the honor guard from the National War Memorial. In an official ceremony, the Guard was restored on Friday. “Officials said sentries will not be issued live weapons despite Wednesday’s attack,” ottawacitizen.com reports, “as the position is ceremonial. Instead, National Defence spokesman Daniel Le Bouthillier said the sentries will be under ‘constant police surveillance.'” A decision supported by many Canadian pols, including a former astronaut (yes another one) who understands the wider implications of arming soldiers to defend themselves against lethal threats – but recoils in horror at the thought . . .
According to kirotv.com, Washingtonian Hans Hansen’s “cabinet business had failed and he’d been evicted from a Granite Falls industrial park. He has a vascular disease and one of his legs must be amputated soon. He expects to lose his house in January because he hasn’t been able to pay the mortgage. His wife sent him an upsetting text message. He started drinking. Hansen decided to gather several guns that he owned and go to several locations where police might be ‘so he could fire at cars and buildings and engage the police in a gunfight and be killed.'” Nope. Not happening . . .
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Press Release [via ammoland.com]:
The owners of Out of Africa Adventurous Safaris [above] were charged with conspiracy to sell illegal rhinoceros hunts in South Africa in order to defraud American hunters, money laundering and secretly trafficking in rhino horns, announced Sam Hirsch Acting Assistant Attorney General for the Justice Department’s Environment and Natural Resources Division; George L. Beck, Jr., U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Alabama; and Dan Ashe, Director of the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. The indictment was unsealed Saturday in Montgomery, Alabama following the federal indictment. The indictment charges . . .
“Sons of Guns stars Stephanie Hayden and Kris Ford were arrested Friday in Louisiana,” tmz.com reports, “for allegedly hitting a 9-year-old boy with a belt so hard he bruised. Parish of Livingston officials tell us Kris abused Stephanie’s son from another relationship last month by striking the kid on his lower buttocks area. Stephanie was also taken into custody because her son told cops she was present in the room. She’s not being accused of hitting her kid.” Another Adrian Peterson-style case of down home corporal punishment taken too far? Time will tell. But if the case(s) of Will Hayden, Stephanie’s father, is any indication, this isn’t the end of this story.
“A man armed with an assault rifle shot three sheriff’s deputies and a civilian, killing two of the deputies and leading dozens of police officers on a wild six-hour chase and manhunt Friday that spanned two Northern California counties before the 34-year-old suspect was taken into custody,” sfgate.com reports. “Marcelo Marquez, of Salt Lake City, was taken alive Friday afternoon from a home in Auburn in Placer County after the shooting hours earlier in a strip mall in a commercial area of Sacramento, said Placer County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Dena Erwin. ‘This guy was on a one-man crime spree today. He has no idea of the damage he did,’ she said.” I find that hard to believe. But the cops also want credit for what didn’t happen . . .
This twitter post showed Zehaf-Bibeau with what appears to be a Winchester lever action rifle. At first, it was unclear if this was the same firearm that he used to murder Cpl. Nathan Cirillo before entering Canada’s Parliament building and continue his shooting spree. But the BBC quickly came up with an identification of the firearm used – a Winchester lever action shotgun . . .
Reports from the scene indicate that the shooter in today’s shooting near Seattle — high school freshman Jaylen Fryberg — walked up to his friends during lunch and began shooting them in the back using a “small handgun.” Describing the incident, the witness stated that “it wasn’t just random” — the shooter knew his victims. Contrary to the typical narrative, Jaylen had been crowned freshman homecoming king on the 17th and was a popular student. In the aftermath . . .