At huffingtonpost.com, self-proclaimed School Safety Advocate, Educator and Writer Jonathan J. Doll, PhD offers readers A Framework for Understanding Lethal School Violence: Part 1. “It is critical to bear in mind that lethal school violence seldom occurs completely unannounced in a perpetrator’s life,” the good Doctor reminds us, “but rather often has a lengthy runway leading up to them — of weeks or even more than a year.” I’ve posted a list of his questions for schools looking to institute “behavioral intervention” after the jump. My question to you: what would be your list of questions for educational institutions who want to defend themselves against a school shooter? . . .
(1) For all schools — Does your school/district have in place a systematic program to make sure each student is connected to positive mentoring relationships with at least one adult?
(2) For larger schools, districts — Does your school/district have referral, bullying and other disengagement data disaggregated by date/time to allow analysis of trends and targeted prevention/training?
(3) For smaller schools, districts — Does your school/district have deeper knowledge of every student’s family/guardian situation and/or peer relationships as these relate to each student’s emotional state and the school’s awareness/sensitivity?
(4) For all schools — With students who engage in more serious offenses (larger than a single days’ referral/punishment), does your school utilize a strengths-based approach with students, or a similar program like restorative justice, to help correct deeper life issues in positive ways?
(5) For larger schools, districts — Have you mapped out what would happen from start to finish if a student exhibited moderately large, destructive behaviors and how you would help get them back on track? Is there a potential pathway back through reconciliation?
(6) For smaller schools, districts — With each student, are staff members routinely applying a strength-based approach to tap on gifts and creativity and potentially avert future problems?