Kel-Tec has made some pretty significant changes to its folding 9mm pistol caliber carbine, the SUB-2000, now releasing a Gen 2 version. Despite the additional features and upgrades, it’s apparently easier to manufacture and production is doubling, so this truck gun favorite seems to be improving.
Also new and already beginning to ship out is the Kel-Tec CMR-30, the matching carbine to the PMR-30 pistol in 22WMR. I’m excited to get my hands on one of those as soon as possible, as I own a PMR-30 (review here) and six mags, an AAC Element 2 suppressor, and almost 1,000 rounds of .22 WMR so I’m ready to put it to the test! Gen2 SUB-2000 and CMR-30 video tours with Kris from Kel-Tec, plus some photos and highlights follow. . .
Kel-Tec SUB-2000 Gen2 Semi-Automatic Changes:
- Front sight accepts AR-15 front sight posts, is adjustable for windage and elevation, and removes to expose 1/2×28 barrel threads on 9mm versions and 9/16×24 on .40 S&W.
- New handguard with top and bottom rails plus Magpul M-LOK slots on the sides
- 40% larger ejection port
- The Gen2 Sub2k has a more ergonomic grip
- 3-position adjustable buttstock
- More sling attachment options
- When folded, it’s locked on the Picatinny rail rather than the front sight post
- Addition of version for M&P magazines
- Better safety detent
- Production volume up from 200-300 per week to 500-700 units
- Short top Picatinny rail for red dots; fiber optic sights available
- MSRP $450-$500
Kel-Tec SUB-2000 Gen2 Specs
Caliber: 9x19mm or .40 S&W, blowback operation
Weight Unloaded: 4.25 lbs.
Magazine Capacity: Varies by magazine; accepts extended versions of Glock mags
Overall Length: 30.5 inches
Length Collapsed: 29.25 inches
Length Folded: 16.25 inches
Barrel Length: 16.25 inches
Twist Rate: 1:10 or 1:16
Trigger Pull: 9.5 lbs.
Kel-Tec CMR-30 Notable Features:
- It weighs just 3.8 lbs. Felt incredibly light and maneuverable
- Same 30rd 22 Magnum polymer ammo mags as the Kel-Tec PMR-30, which employ a pretty novel design.
- Ambi, non-reciprocating charging handles.
- 1/2×28 threaded barrel, barrel length of 16 inches
- Comes with Magpul MBUS
- 4-position collapsible stock
- “Ever so fantastic”
I asked Kris if it was accurate enough to justify me slapping on that new 6-24×50 LUCID scope that I picked up and shooting it from a rest for groups at 50 or 100 yards. An enthusiastic “oh absolutely!” was the response, so I’ll definitely be doing that for the review with 3 or 4 brands of .22 WMR from Remington, Winchester, and others on the wishlist.
Kel-Tec CMR-30 Specs
Weight Unloaded: 3.8 lbs.
Magazine Capacity: 30
Overall Length: 29.9 inches
Length Collapsed: 22.5 inches
Length Folded: 16.25 inches
Barrel Length: 16 inches
Twist Rate: 1:14
Trigger Pull: 5 lbs.
More from The Truth About Guns