As an EMT, there are a couple things that I always carry on shift. One is a Benchmade Triage knife, another is a Littman stethoscope (because using the same one that’s been in everyone else’s ears is just disgusting), and the last item is a Surefire E2D LED Defender flashlight. Sure there’s a flashlight sitting in a charger behind the front right (AKA my) seat anyway, but it’s massive and weighs a ton. My Defender, with its variable output, allows me to either light up the scene of a car accident or check a patient’s pupils with a single flashlight. That versatility has also earned it a spot as an every day carry item, giving me a non-lethal option when dealing with bad guys (i.e., blinding them). Now Surefire has come out with a new version, the Ultra, that’s twice as powerful as the old one for the same price. Make the jump for the presser . . .
The E2D LED Defender Ultra is a compact, dual-output self-defense flashlight that boasts an impressive 500 lumens of white light on its high setting–enough to temporarily overwhelm the dark-adapted vision of an aggressor. This blinding, tactical-level light, shaped by a TIR lens that creates a beam with plenty of reach and enough surround light for peripheral vision, is always just a click away in high-stress situations, thanks to ergonomic tactical tailcap switching. The E2D LED Defender Ultra’s virtually indestructible LED also produces five useful lumens of light output for general use and tasks where 500 lumens of light may be overkill. To enhance its self-defense capabilities, the flashlight features SureFire’s crenellated Strike Bezel® and a scalloped tailcap, both of which pack a wallop should 500 lumens of blinding light not be enough to convince an attacker to walk away. You get all this self-defense capability in a lightweight but strong Mil-Spec-anodized aluminum body just over 5 1/2 inches long.
Features and Benefits:
• Virtually indestructible dual-output LED produces two useful outputs: 500 & 5 lumens
• Total Internal Reflection (TIR) lens produces tightly focused beam with reach and enough surround light to accommodate peripheral vision
• Crenellated Strike Bezel® and scalloped tailcap provide enhanced self defense Capabilities
• High-strength aerospace aluminum body, Mil-Spec hard-anodized for extreme durability
• Ergonomic tactical tailcap switching for instant access to max output in high-stress situations
• Includes high-energy 123A lithium batteries with 10-year shelf life