If you’re a fan of modern lever guns you’re going to love the latest iteration of the Dark Series from Marlin Firearms. (See our review of the previous take on this gun here.) Since Ruger took over the Marlin brand they aren’t just churning out the same old Marlins that our dads and grandads had (although they are still doing the classics as well) but they’re continuing to evolve the line. The new Dark Series is launching with the big daddy of lever guns, the Model 1895 in .45-70.
The Dark Series 1895 has a 16 inch threaded barrel with a radial muzzle break, a ghost ring rear and fiber optic front sight, as well as a Picatinny rail for mounting optics. There’s also an MLOK forend for attaching lights lasers, chainsaws or whatever else you see fit. It’s equipped with QD sling swivel mounts and has a sleek nylon reinforced polymer stock. the This 1895 has a Graphite Black Cerakote finish because, well, it’s Dark.
While the .45-70 is launching the line, look for rifles chambered in .30-30 and .44 magnum in 2024. I suspect there’s going to be a big crowd around the Marlin booth at SHOT in January waiting to get a firsthand look modernized 19th Century tactical rifles.
- Receiver, lever and trigger guard plate are CNC machined from alloy steel.
- Barrel is cold hammer-forged which results in ultra-precise rifling that provides exceptional accuracy and longevity.
- Threaded barrel, with factory-installed match polished radial muzzle break has a 11/16″-24 pattern to accommodate other barrel accessories. Thread protector also included.
- Major components feature enhanced durability due to the Graphite Black Cerakote® finish.
- The bolt and lever feature a nitride finish for superior wear protection.
- Five-round, tubular magazine with a loading gate located on the receiver.
- Nylon-reinforced polymer stock with M-LOK® attachment slots for mounting of accessories.
- Cheek riser included for an optimum sight picture when using an optic.
- Generous recoil pad that effectively absorbs recoil.
- Picatinny rail provides a stable mounting surface for scope rings and a variety of optics.
- Fiber optic front sight with a tritium ring for improved visibility in low light conditions.
- Anodized aluminum handguard features M-LOK® attachment slots for mounting of accessories.
- Flush cup sockets for Quick Detach (QD) sling swivels located on the buttstock and the muzzle end of the handguard allows for comfortable carry with a two-point sling.
- Mid-sized finger lever has a unique flare on the bottom for more comfortable cycling.
- Reliably feeds a wide range of .45-70 Govt factory ammunition and bullet types.
- Positive, push-button, cross-bolt manual safety and traditional half-cock hammer.
Caliber: .45-70 Govt
Stock: Nylon Reinforced Polymer
Material: Alloy Steel
Finish: Satin Black
Front Sight: Fiber Optic with Tritium Ring
Rear Sight: Adjustable Ghost Ring
Weight: 7 lb.
Overall Length: 35.50″
Length of Pull: 13.50″
Barrel Length: 16.17″
Barrel: Cold Hammer-Forged Alloy Steel
Thread Pattern: 11/16″-24
Twist: 1:20″ RH