Grizzly Custom Guns is a one-man operation: Lew Bonitz. Mr. Bonitz has made me two lever guns and they’re prize possessions, worth every penny. And they were a LOT of pennies. Now that he’s raised his prices on custom work and cleared his backlog, GCG’s offering an “affordable” lever gun: the Outback Guide Stainless Scout.
Mr. B tells TTAG that the Scout doesn’t require the same level of modifications as his entirely breathed-upon Marlin variants. Hence the lower price and quicker turnaround. So quick in fact that he’s sending one to TTAG for review.
If the price scares you, check out the work performed (below). To paraphrase Patek Phillipe’s advice, you don’t own this gun. You merely look after it for the next generation. But please God shoot it! Here’s the inside dope for those who share my incurable lever fever:
The Grizzly Custom Outback Guide Stainless Scout rifle is a full-power, stainless steel .45-70 Government rifle featuring a full-length 6-round magazine tube. The rifle is capable of firing all .45-70 loads, up to and including the devastating Garrett 540 grain Hog Stompers.
The rifle features laminated grey/black stocks with a basket weave Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad to lessen felt recoil, which is recontoured to facilitate easier mounting & dismounting. A set of rugged XS ghost ring sights are included for fast target acquisition, in addition to a Scout rail for optics.
The action has been completely massaged to eliminate any and all feeding or ejection issues, and to provide the smoothest operation possible. The trigger is reworked to give a clean break at approximately 3 pounds.
The sharp edges on the factory big loop lever have been dehorned for blood-free operation. The same applies to any sharp areas on the outside of the receiver as well, all dehorned and blended.
One of the weakest points of the Marlin lever action rifles is the receiver to butt stock connection, one pinch bolt at the rear of the tangs squeezing the stock. This weakness has been overcome by the installation of Grizzly’s through-bolt stock retention system, similar to that used in a Remington 870. The stock and forend are bedded to the rifle as well.
The final product is sighted-in at 50 yards prior to delivery. If optional optics are ordered, they are sighted-in as well. The completed rifle weighs in at 7 pounds 4 ounces, has a length-of-pull of 13½”, and is 36½” long.
The Outback Guide Stainless Scout includes the following:
– Marlin 1895 Chambered in .45-70 Government
– Barrel length 18.5 inches
– Barrel recrowned w/11° target crown
– 6-round, full-length magazine tube
– Laminated stock, grey & black
– Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad, contoured for easier mounting & dismounting
– Extensive action tuning to feed everything up to & including Garrett 540 grain Super – Hard Cast loads
– Trigger job on factory components
– Dehorned factory large lever loop
– Complete action dehorning
– XS Sights ghost-ring rear sight
– XS Sights ramped front sight with high visibility insert
– XS Sights Scout scope rail
– Stainless steel, finished in matte or factory style
– Modified loading gate for easier loading
– Extensive action smoothing
– Bed stocks
– Through-bolt stock retention system
– Test fired & sighted-in
The introductory price of $1,995 includes the rifle, and requires delivery to your FFL for transfer to you.
Add $400 for the optional Leupold 2.5x FX-II Scout scope & 1″ QRW rings, mounted & sighted-in. Add $700 for the optional Leupold 1.5-5x VX-R Scout scope & 30mm QRW rings, mounted & sighted-in. Shipping, handling, hard case and insurance will be $125.