When I moved to Montana, a woman named Tasha Johnson was the first person to befriend me. When I moved away we stayed in touch. On Thursday, May 14, Tasha called me from Kalispell. She’d just had a terrifying experience. “While my son napped in his room, [my daughter] and I are playing outside. We heard a very loud snapping sound,” Tasha told me. “I couldn’t find where it came from. I shrugged it off. Then I went to get my son from his nap . . .
“I first noticed the dry wall dust on the changing table,” Tasha said. “Then I saw the large hole in my son’s bedroom wall.” She looked closer. She was shocked to see a “very large bullet” poking through the light blue paint in her one year-old’s room.
Judging from the size of the hole Tasha concluded a rifle round had caused the damage. She called the police. The police determined that the bullet came from a “high-powered rifle” such as a 7mm or .308. The bullet was tumbling when it hit the house, suggesting a ricochet. That made it difficult to pinpoint its exact origin.
Tasha blamed no one for the stray round but the person who pulled the trigger. “What happened had nothing to do with laws or lack of laws,” she insisted. “It was some moron that didn’t understand gun safety.”
Four rules people. Four rules.