Browning’s teasing shotgunners everywhere with the news of the (sort of) imminent return of John Moses Browning’s venerable A5 design. The newly refreshed scattergun in the video appears to have magical duck-maming properties as it rises, Excalibur-like, in the hand of a mythic hunter from the depths of the lake into which it’s been flung. Or maybe some dude just dropped it in the drink from his jon boat. Anyway, the JMB design that’s been around since the beginning of the last century and was carried into war by US fighting men (as the Remington Model 11), will make a triumphant return to Browning’s lineup – after a 13-year hiatus – with a few strategic improvements under that famous humpbacked hood…
You may notice a family resemblance, but let’s get one thing straight, this ain’t your Grandpa’s Auto-5. In fact, the iconic humpback-shaped receiver is the only thing this new Browning autoloader shares with its legendary namesake. The all new Browning A5 is built to be the most reliable, fastest cycling, best performing and softest shooting recoil-operated (yes, recoil-operated) autoloader on the planet. And we are so confident in the A5, we are standing behind it with a 100,000 round or five year guarantee that this shotgun will work, come hell or high water. Standing firmly behind this claim is the ultra-reliable, honed to perfection Kinematic Drive System.
Other innovations, like the new Invector-DS choke tube system and Inflex II recoil pad are sure to place the A5 right at the top of the industry. With the recoil-operated A5 and our gas-operated Maxus autoloaders, we are poised to dominate every aspect of the autoloading shotgun market. These two guns compliment one another in the same way lightning goes with thunder, and the way Browning goes with number one.
- GAUGE : 1 2 — 2 3/4″ to 3″ chamber
- RECEIVER Strong, lightweight aluminum alloy
- BARREL Lightweight profile • Flat, ventilated rib
- ACTION 3″ chamber • Recoil operated Kinematic Drive is ultra-reliable and cycles a wide range of loads
- STOCK Shim adjustable for length of pull, cast and drop
- FEATURES Vector Pro™ lengthened forcing cone • Three Invector-DS™ choke tubes • Inflex II Technology recoil pad • Brass front bead sight • Ivory mid-bead sight • One ¼” stock spacer and one 1⁄2″ stock spacer, plus lengthened screws for total adjustment of 3⁄4″ • Included ABS case (not shown)
Browning sez they’ll be shipping the new smoothbore in the spring. Labrador not included. Watch this space for a full review.