We hear the same thing every four years. This is the most important election of our lifetime. The call to action is usually accompanied by a recounting of the dire consequences of the vote going the wrong way.
We’re not sure if this is the most important election of this or any other lifetime, but in terms of your gun rights, the choice couldn’t be any more clear. While the current occupant of the oval office hasn’t been everything gun owners had wanted or hoped for, his opponent says that if he’s elected, he will . . .
- Ban the manufacture of “assault weapons” and “high capacity” magazines
- Mandate NFA registration of all currently owned “assault weapons”
- Hold a national “buyback” of “assault weapons” for those who don’t want to register their ARs and AKs
- A national one gun a month purchase limit
- National universal background checks
- Reinstate the Obama gun ban for Social Security recipients who seek mental health treatment
- Ban gun sales to anyone convicted of a “hate crime”
- Increase the time period the FBI has to make a determination on a NICS check from 3 to 10 days
- End all online sales of firearms, ammunition, kits, and gun parts
- A national confiscation program for those who become prohibited persons
- Incentivize all states to enact “red flag” laws by doling out federal funds
- Incentivize all states to require that individuals obtain a permit to own firearms before being able to purchase one
- Prohibit anyone under a temporary restraining order or convicted of assault, battery, or stalking from purchasing or possessing firearms, misdemeanor or felon
- “Put America on the path to ensuring that 100% of firearms sold in America are smart guns”
- Enact a national safe storage law
- Enact a national stolen gun reporting requirement law
- Ban “ghost guns” by requiring that “purchasers of gun kits or 3D printing code pass a federal background check”
- Ban the use of federal dollars used to train teachers to carry in the classroom
Again, in terms of Second Amendment freedoms, the choice couldn’t be clearer. Which is why the National Shooting Sports Foundation runs their #GUNVOTE campaign to educate and register pro-gun rights voters. And Smith & Wesson has just kicked in half a million dollars for the election stretch run.
Here’s the NSSF’s press release announcing the contribution:
NSSF, the trade association for the firearm industry, is pleased to announce that firearm manufacturer Smith & Wesson contributed $500,000 to NSSF’s #GUNVOTE voter registration and education campaign. This is the largest donation the #GUNVOTE campaign has received to date.
“This election cycle marks a crossroads in the future of the firearms industry and of our very freedom to bear arms,” said Mark Smith, President and CEO of Smith & Wesson. “We must ensure the Second Amendment is protected at every level. It is critical that hunters, recreational target shooters, and all those seeking to exercise their constitutional right to protect themselves and their families be educated and vote in November. We’re extremely proud to make this contribution to NSSF’s #GUNVOTE campaign and for what it represents in educating voters how their choices at the polls will impact the future of all Americans’ free exercise of their constitutional rights.”
“The firearm industry is fortunate to have numerous partners who are dedicated to the growth and success of the whole and Smith & Wesson is right at the top,” stated Lawrence G. Keane, NSSF Senior Vice President and General Counsel. “With this generous contribution to NSSF’s #GUNVOTE campaign, Smith & Wesson is going above and beyond to assist NSSF in educating and activating voters ahead of November’s election. Smith & Wesson’s substantial contribution is vital now more than ever and is to be commended.”
Election Day is less than 70 days away and millions of voters will head to the polls on November 3rd. Nearly 5 million of those are first-time gun buyers. Current events across the United States demonstrate why the Founding Fathers 230 years ago had the foresight to recognize why the right to keep and bear arms would still be vital today.
#GUNVOTE is a campaign by the NSSF to encourage America’s gun owners to register to vote, to become educated on where the candidates stand on the Second Amendment and, on election day not to risk their rights and #GUNVOTE. The campaign’s website provides links to help voters register and find their polling place. NSSF strongly encourages all industry members to download the #GUNVOTE button to use on their websites and social media platforms and order #GUNVOTE decals for distribution to family, friends and customers.
NSSF is the trade association for the firearm industry. Its mission is to promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports. Formed in 1961, NSSF has a membership of thousands of manufacturers, distributors, firearms retailers, shooting ranges, sportsmen’s organizations and publishers nationwide. For more information, log on to www.nssf.org.