I used the headline from Pittsburgh’s post-gazette.com because it’s an excellent example of the mainstream media’s inability to understand that guns do not go off by themselves. Perpetuating the idea that guns “accidentally discharge” sows fear amongst gun muggles, degrading our gun rights at the voting booth. It also removes responsibility from irresponsible gun owners, and misses an opportunity to emphasize the importance of firearms safety training. Anyway, you know all that. Here’s the beef: “A 20-year-old man was accidentally shot in the leg Thursday night following a competition shoot at Pine Creek Gun Club [a.k.a., the Pine Creek Sportsmen’s Club] in Armstrong County . . .
State police said Tyler Glenn Peters, of Kittanning, was wounded in the left upper thigh when another shooter’s rifle accidentally discharged while the shooters were putting away their rifles after the competition. The incident occurred around 9 p.m. at the gun club in Boggs, Armstrong County.
Police said Mr. Peters was treated at Armstrong County Memorial Hospital and then transferred to Allegheny General Hospital. They said he is expected to survive.
As are American gun rights. But it would be SO much better if someone would take these reporters out and teach them gun safety basics. Assuming that they’re not passively constructing these stories passively, to avoid embarrassing community members. [h/t JP]