On Friday, Fox News commentator Bill O’Reilly interviewed Mark Potok. The founder of the Oath Keepers defended his organization’s declaration that its members would not surrender their weapons under martial law. O’Reilly seemed genuinely incredulous that American citizens would resist efforts by their own government to disarm them. In the clip above, O’Reilly clearly believes that the breakdown of law—exploited by looters—justifies restricting citizens’ otherwise lawful right to defend themselves with firearms. At the end of the clip, he label Potok’s views “a pretty extreme position.” You can read the full Oath Keepers’ declaration here, or make the jump for the bullet point version. So to speak.
1. We will NOT obey orders to disarm the American people.
2. We will NOT obey orders to conduct warrantless searches of the American people
3. We will NOT obey orders to detain American citizens as “unlawful enemy combatants” or to subject them to military tribunal.
4. We will NOT obey orders to impose martial law or a “state of emergency” on a state.
5. We will NOT obey orders to invade and subjugate any state that asserts its sovereignty.
6. We will NOT obey any order to blockade American cities, thus turning them into giant concentration camps.
7. We will NOT obey any order to force American citizens into any form of detention camps under any pretext.
8. We will NOT obey orders to assist or support the use of any foreign troops on U.S. soil against the American people to “keep the peace” or to “maintain control.”
9. We will NOT obey any orders to confiscate the property of the American people, including food and other essential supplies.
10.We will NOT obey any orders which infringe on the right of the people to free speech, to peaceably assemble, and to petition their government for a redress of grievances.