Windy City hoplophobes aren’t happy with us . . . Right-wingers exploiting Chicago violence to score cheap political points should be ashamed
Why oh why do they hate Chicago so? Saint Louis and Baltimore had the highest murder rates in the nation last year, but conservatives don’t talk such smack about them. A few theories:
• Chicago has been run by Democrats since 1931, longer than any other major city.
• Chicago produced Barack Obama, and attacking the city’s dysfunction is a way of discrediting his legacy.
• Chicago sent Trump into retreat. In March 2016, the city’s well-developed protest culture, which dates back to Saul Alinsky, mobilized against Trump, forcing him to cancel a rally at UIC Pavilion.
• Chicago hates Trump. He got just 12 percent of the vote here, his worst showing in any of the nation’s 15 largest cities.
• Chicago is a blue island. We’re urban, multicultural, progressive, and immigrant friendly—everything conservatives fear and loathe gathered into a mass 2.5-million strong in the midst of America’s otherwise Trump-voting heartland. Chicago’s murders prove that LIBERALISM = DEATH.
Hey, they said it. We didn’t.