Ruger has a winner on its hands with their American Rifle series. The guns are priced for value conscious shooters but punch above their weight with some fantastic features and good enough accuracy. I reviewed the original Ruger American Rifle back in 2012 and Tyler tested the original Ruger American Rimfire in 2014. Now they’re extending their rimfire line with the Ruger American Rimfire Target model.
The rifle comes from the factory equipped with a Picatinny rail, a slick looking laminate stock, and a threaded barrel for attaching the suppressor of your choice. Ruger started producing silencers within the last year so offering silencer-capable versions of their rimfire rifles only makes sense. The Target model’s $499 MSRP puts it in direct competition with CZ’s respected line of rimfire rifles.
Here’s the full list of features from their press release:
- Models chambered in .22 LR feature the patented, detachable, flush-mounted 10/22® BX-1 10-round rotary magazine and accept all 10/22® magazines, including the BX-25®, BX-25®x2 and BX-15®.
- Models chambered in .22 Magnum and .17 HMR use the detachable, flush-mounted JMX-1 9-round rotary magazine.
- Easy-to-use 10/22®-style extended magazine release provides smooth, no-fuss removal of flush-mounted magazine.
- Patent-pending Power Bedding® integral bedding block system positively locates the receiver and free-floats the barrel for outstanding accuracy.
- Ruger Marksman Adjustable™ trigger offers a crisp release with a pull weight that is user adjustable between 3 and 5 pounds, allowing shooters to make that perfect shot.
- Features a visible, accessible and easy-to-actuate tang safety that provides instant security.
- Cold hammer-forged 0.860″ target barrel for exceptional accuracy, longevity and easy cleaning. Factory-installed knurled thread protector protects the crown.
- A 60° bolt provides ample scope clearance and the easy-to-use, receiver-mounted bolt release allows the bolt to be readily removed without requiring a pull of the trigger, a unique safety feature among rimfire, bolt-action rifles.
- Factory-installed one-piece Picatinny aluminum scope rail.
- Black laminate stock features an Alexander Henry forend in addition to sling swivels front and rear, to help you steady your aim whether shooting off of sticks, a bipod, or sling. Rubber buttpad anchors the rifle at the rear.