I don’t know how much The Freedom Group is planning on paying its next PR Manager, but I hope it’s a LOT. Not only will he or she have to deal with the aftermath of Triggergate, they’ll also have to work within the consortium’s byzantine bureaucratic structure. (In case you forgot, The Freedom Group is a farrago of firearms companies thrown together to amuse a gun-crazed exec at Cerberus, currently run by the same suit who sank Chrysler and hurt Home Depot.) Mac addicts need not apply (that’s me out), as “Knowledge of Microsoft Office Word Processing software” is a prerequisite. Make the jump for the rest of the requirements and the job description. Or . . . not.
The Press Relations Manager is responsible for leading the short and long term strategic direction and managing the day-to-day Press Relations responsibilities for the Freedom Group Family of Companies.
• Must have a working knowledge of shooting and hunting sports and an extensive knowledge of product lines.
• Build and maintain relationships with key editors and writers as well as key industry personnel.
• Manage press release development process (product and corporate).
• Participate in major trade and consumer shows.
• Recommend and develop story lines for editors and writers.
• Manage the development of Events calendar (Hunts/Corporate) with writers and producers that showcase our products.
• Represent the company in several writers’ organizations and various shows.
• Represent Remington products on TV and Radio shows and video appearances.
• Responsible for managing and directing PR Consultant/Agency.
• Manage product requests from writers and producers.
• Manage test and evaluation of company products by the media.
• Track Remington and competitive product coverage in the media.
• Forecast, track, and manage PR budget.
• Responsible for recruiting, managing and developing direct reports
Skills and Education
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from a four-year college or university
• Minimum of five years related PR experience
• Journalist and Writing Skills required.
• Knowledge of hunting and shooting required.
• Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
• Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
• Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
• Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
• Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Word Processing software.