Florida Carry Members Go Fishing in Tallahassee

Luis Valdes for TTAG

The open carry of firearms in Florida is only legal if you’re hunting, fishing, camping or on your way to engaging in one of those activities. Given those restrictions, a group of Florida Carry members decided to go fishing (rods in hand, with valid fishing permits) this morning in downtown Tallahassee.

Florida Open Carry fishing trip in Tallahassee

Luis Valdes for TTAG

They started out at city hall…

Florida Open Carry fishing trip in Tallahassee

Luis Valdes for TTAG

Then they made their way toward the Capitol building. They had called the Capitol police yesterday to let them know they planned to be there.

Florida Open Carry fishing trip in Tallahassee

Luis Valdes for TTAG

Though they were told that they couldn’t be armed on Capitol grounds, they told the police department they’d be there anyway.

Florida Open Carry fishing trip in Tallahassee

Luis Valdes for TTAG

After a few minutes on the Capitol lawn (observed by Capitol police officers), the six fishermen headed toward the state Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

Florida Open Carry fishing trip in Tallahassee

Luis Valdes for TTAG

After a few minutes there to pay their respects, they continued their journey to Cascades Park for a little fishing.

Florida Open Carry fishing trip in Tallahassee

courtesy Google Maps

All in all, it was a successful fishing trip.

Florida Open Carry fishing trip in Tallahassee

Luis Valdes for TTAG

We hear they have another fishing trip scheduled for Ocala on April 6, where they’re expecting about 300 fishermen.

comments

1. Love those fishermen !!!

1. avatar Forward Assist says:

I’m shocked, shocked I tell you, that none of those OFWGs had a heart attack during their silly march. Looks like they walked darn close to half a mile. And carrying a gun and rod no less. Keep it up and you just might not be such a comical stereotype of an American gun lover.

1. avatar Jonathan-Houston says:

You’re a real joy.

2. avatar GluteusMaximus says:

Take a deep breath. You will be ok

3. avatar T.H.E. Bear says:

Darn Ole Rearward Ass ist you’re certainly full of yourself or something else perhaps from the north end of a southbound bull. Unwind your Depends from around your head and go suck ice cubes in a corner.

1. avatar B says:

Forward Assist obviously got his name from a team of OFWGs that helped him cram his head into his posterior, so he doesn’t really have a choice but to talk out of his ass. Now he needs a rearward assist to uncork his head from his asshat.

4. avatar SwampDaddy says:

OFWG RULE !
        Attitude, low stress and a tight family is the key!

5. In fact, it is you who are the stereotypical gun owner – apathetic and opinionated, won’t get off his posterior to defend his rights, but can always muster enough energy to criticize those who do.

Richard Nascak
        Executive Director
        Florida Carry

1. avatar Timberwolf says:

Since you were there, I want to know where tubby in the white shirt found a GoPro chest strap long enough to fit around his man boobs.

2. avatar AzzKikR says:

Timberwolf is a troll, likley a fat one. People who dish out personal insults usually start off with the ones which effect them the most.

6. avatar epbean3 says:

Personal attacks: the go-to strategy of the non-thinker who has nothing else of value to offer. Nice job adding a dash of racism to your idiotic comment as well. How lucky you must be to only have only perfect physical specimens amongst your family and friends. You don’t know any of these people or the strength of their character or their love for their communities and this country. Shame on you. Your perfectly proportioned mother must have failed to teach you not judge others based on your perception of their appearance. Guess that explains the racist slant in your comment. Hope you somehow manage to become a decent human some day, but at this point it seems unlikely. Why are you even here?

7. avatar Truckman says:

you must be anti gun I think open carry should be legal in all states

1. avatar Bill Kaser says:

You think? I’d say the Constitution requires it.

8. avatar OBOB says:

what are you about 4yo???

you sound like a kinderKare kid????

when you can’t use a logical argument or replies to debate…fall back on grade school insults…the ‘safe place’ for most snowflakes

2. avatar John Archibald says:

While I understand (and agree) with what they are doing, is this REALLY doing us (the People of the Gun) any good or just perpetuating the stereotype that many of us don’t like?

1. avatar SKP5885 says:

It’s doing good.

2. avatar Kyle says:

wow, thats a hell of monster he caught there. can’t tell of the oal is 2.25″ or 2.75″ on that modern sporting fish.

3. avatar Realist says:

Hey, antigunners, once yet again law-abiding gun owners excerised their constitutional right to keep and bear arms and guess what? No one got shot! That’s because they’re “law abiding”, not criminals. Your so-called common sense proposals do nothing to stop criminals because they don’t obey the law. Deal with them and not the law abiding.

4. avatar Swarf says:

Yes, belligerent crowing is definitely the best way to change hearts and minds.

For a bunch of shooters, some of us sure a bad at optics.

I know, I know, I must hate the Second Amendment, Molon Labe, no step on shall not be infringed blah blah blah. You say that every time I point out how dumb you look walking around with an AR plopping around on your gut.

1. avatar Baldwin says:

The gut is courtesy of those that made and kept us free (and fed). Same goes for the AR. Same goes for the ability to walk around, proudly displaying both. So, what’s your problem?

2. avatar John in Ohio says:

Only belligerents “have rights.”

United States v. Johnson

“The privilege against self-incrimination is neither accorded to the passive resistant, nor to the person who is ignorant of his rights, nor to one indifferent thereto. It is a fighting clause. It’s benefits can be retained only by sustained combat. It cannot be claimed by attorney or solicitor. It is valid only when insisted upon by a belligerent claimant in person.” McAlister vs. Henkel, 201 U.S. 90, 26 S.Ct. 385, 50 L.Ed. 671; Commonwealth vs. Shaw, 4 Cush. 594, 50 Am.Dec. 813; Orum vs. State, 38 Ohio App. 171, 175 N.E. 876. The one who is persuaded by honeyed words or moral suasion to testify or produce documents rather than make a last ditch stand, simply loses the protection. . . . He must refuse to answer or produce, and test the matter in contempt proceedings, or by habeas corpus.”

3. avatar AzzKikR says:

Worked in Texas, did it not?

4. avatar Grant. says:

Oh hey, it’s Swarf, the most liberal guy on TFB has graced us with his presence.

They did SOMETHING, Mr. Couch Commando. Something is better than nothing. Even followed flag code.

5. avatar Marcia Mason says:

Wish I was there. I would have been proud to walk with them.

6. avatar Truckman says:

I would be glad to be with them for a little while because leg and back problems will not allow me to walk that far

7. avatar enuf says:

Seriously it’s a straightforward propaganda and advertising reality. The more attractive the people the more accepted they are, the better their message carries. Fat people don’t come across anywhere near as well as fit people, in advertising or politicking.

But hey, getting out walking is good for you. Exercise in the fresh air, so long as they were upwind of the politicians back in the Capitol I mean.

So there’s hope right there that health and image both will improve on their future fishing trips.

1. avatar Forward Assist says:

Exactly ENUF. The optics of the “march” overshadowed any positive points. Those obese bearded white men are the saggy pants shirtless black kids in Black Lives Matter, or the screeching pink-haired occupy protester. It furthers the divisions by solidifying the stereotypes.

And will someone please help that flag bearer. Gawd he looks like a psycho

2. avatar AzzKikR says:

Yeah I’m sure the both of you winners are just in absolute tip top shape and at the forefront of the fight for firearms freedom.

1. avatar enuf says:

Nope, not me. I’m a old guy. Not sure how it happened, just worked out that way.

And I am definitely not one of these guys and if I was I’d leave my gun home and spend time in the gym instead:

8. avatar Aaron Walker says:

I’m surprised everyone wasn’t “RED FLAG” under Florida’s new Anti-Bill of Rights Law…

9. avatar Tom T says:

It is sad (and a bit frightening) to see my state moving so quickly in recent years against the 2nd. Florida has always been known for its support of this precious civil right, but that is rapidly changing.

1. avatar John in Ohio says:

“KGB defector Yuri Bezmenov’s warning to America”

2. avatar strych9 says:

Changing demographics suck.

Colorado has the same problem. Every time we get to a new “level” of imports from Cali there are more proposed gun restrictions and, more and more, they seem to get through.

10. avatar Mike Hawkizard says:

A half dozen people? Successful fishing trip? Ok.

FYI, the Melon labia/ no step on snek crap works against the progun movement. It’s literally the stereotype the anti’s hold marching around in real life there: a group of fat middle aged white men with ARs and Gadson flags is the propaganda gift for the Moms who demand disarmament down there. All that was missing was someone wearing a plate carrier.

No wonder Florida is losing ground. This image is just like the one of those two idiots from Texas who walked into the chipotle with an ak and sks a few years ago and will forever define the Floridian progun movement.

1. avatar Dennis Fields says:

Listen everyone. I’m the fattest guy in the photos. I don’t give one rip about your optics opinions. For gun rights, I have driven to Tallahassee 5 times now. I drove to Tampa. I drove to Miami Beach. I’ve been to Dunnellon twice now. I’ll be attending Ocala for the 2nd time this year. I’ve been open carrying in Florida any way I can in Jacksonville, Orange Park, Amelia Island, Velano Beach, Palatka, Green Cove Springs, and Fleming Island since my friend CJ Grisham was arrested during his 10 mile hike in Temple TX. So for you to tell me I’m hurting the cause? I DON’T GIVE A FLIP WHAT YOUR IMBECILIC BRAINS THINK, PERIOD ! You’ve got fat jokes? Who cares????? I eat 1 meal a day on average. I’m just genetically gifted with obesity and a sedentary job. I write my representatives. I call my representatives. I show up in my representatives’ offices. I call them out when they vote away your rights. I have two young kids. I had to miss one child’s 1st soccer game of the season. I missed my wife’s birthday party with her family. I drove 6 hours today. A big thank you to those who expressed support. To the rest of you, you need Jesus Christ. Something I’m also willing to spend time giving you: the love of God, respect for others, and salvation from Hell.

1. avatar strych9 says:

As I said below, I think you guys actually did this one nicely.

Really, this is about as good as it gets without staging shit with an advertising firm unless someone has a camera at the perfect time. Half a dozen people, people I highly doubt you “selected”, and you did quite well IMHO.

I like the “outdoorsy” take on it with fishing too. It not only puts a “healthy” spin on things with the walking but normalizes the guns with the “we go fishing too” aspect.

My previous comments on another page were not meant to be an attack on people who are overweight. I have no problem with overweight people owning guns or being in gun images. However, we’re trying to sell a product here and at a certain point things get counter productive. The flip side is when you try to hard it’s also obvious. Too many Budweiser chicks and it just gets to be something everyone thinks is over the top.

What you guys did here, it’s something the 2A community can sell and it’s believable. It’s not open to credible mockery of any serious amount specifically because it’s real and believable. That means if the anti’s try the OFWG approach on this they’ll come off looking like assholes when you rejoin with “At least we’re doing something outdoors, not banging away at the MDA website or spending all day under fluorescent lights complaining about other people”.

1. avatar Forward Assist says:

Dennis, don’t you ever sacrifice your family again. Cheating on time with your kids. Skipping out on your wife to play with the boys and guns. Total American loser.

And then bring God into it? You are one sad piece of work. Get your head on straight and put down your AK and pick up your children. Now!

2. avatar Specialist says:

You’re probably not long for this world Dennis given your morbid obesity. Therefore all time you can share with your children is precious. Do not be an absent father and place the open carry cause above your own kids. There are enough bad dads to go around and it sounds like that’s the road you are on righ now.

2. avatar AzzKikR says:

Dennis, don’t let these fools bother you. They’re all morbidly obese and probably don’t do a damn thing for gun rights. Truthfully, internet trolls are some of the fattest people on the *planet*, with most weighing in excess of 500 lbs. Thank you for what you continue to do, and may more of us find the courage to do the same.

3. avatar red_dirt says:

Rock On! And thank you. I live in California, don’t let what happened here happen there.

4. avatar David P Hope says:

Keep up the good work.

5. avatar Docduracoat says:

Dennis,
        I am a member of Florida carry and I did not get any notification of this event.
        I agree that people seeing us ofwg walking around with open carry of guns is good for the cause.
        Ordinary people that look like your neighbors and coworkers, walking with guns and nothing happened.
        It should be the most normal thing, to see law abiding citizens open carrying guns, and there is no “ blood in the streets”
        So send me a message or e mail and keep me in the loop so I can help the open carry cause..

11. avatar borg says:

Target shooting is another activity that allows open carry

1. avatar kahlil says:

try to explain that you’re walking across town, open carry, with the intention of target practice. I don’t think that would go over too well the closer you got to government buildings as the label you’re now stuck with is terrorist or making threats. Sticking to the fishing pole was a good choice.

12. avatar strych9 says:

Seems like the kid with the flags got a bum deal. No gun and he has to carry all the tackle.

Which reminds me, at this point I need a sherpa for my fly gear bag. It’s only like 55lbs and I’ll give the kid free meals.

13. avatar Manse Jolly says:

Ok, Lets hear the ideas from all about 2A optics! Throw your ideas out here!!

Some have said that OFWG is bad, how is it made better?

How does the 2A supporters win the PR battles in media, TV, social, whatever form?

1. avatar strych9 says:

The fact that just six people here display significantly more diversity of body type and age says all you need to know about the previous set of images.

2. avatar SwampDaddy says:

We will never win the PR battle, the deck is stacked against us and the 2A. The inevitable battle will be bloody resistance if we are to remain free and necessarily armed.

1. avatar strych9 says:

I don’t see how you can say that.

We’ve never even entered the PR battle. How can you say we won’t win if we’ve never tried? Arguing facts and logic isn’t PR.

Further, losing the PR battle also happens because of a lack of discipline on our side. Suggesting that open bloodletting is the only option and, subtly suggesting that it’s a preferable option, makes you sound like exactly what they anti’s say you are: an extremist. Same thing with that guy screaming “IT’S MY GOD GIVEN RIGHT!”. Both are not just playing into a caricature but also open to mockery and numerous other forms of attack.

Please, for the love of Christ, try to remember that the people we need to win with are fence sitters who are made nervous by what they see as novelty. Playing into caricatures, stereotypes or doing and saying things that will obviously “spook the cattle” we’re trying to calm are counter productive.

Spin this into a civil rights issue (which it is) with some subtle trickery that reminds people of this and they’ll see Shannon Watts as someone trying to make us all second class citizens that need to sit at the back of the bus. They’ll vote against that just because of the negative emotional connection they have with racism. Scare the fuck out of them with talk of civil war and they will agree we’re extremists and ensure the war you worry about becomes reality.

Don’t be Alex Jones. Regardless of what you might think of the guy and regardless of how many issues he might be right about most people think he’s a lunatic because of his presentation style. Well, that and the shape shifting lizard people in the HRC campaign thing…

1. avatar SwampDaddy says:

I may be an extremist to you. In my world, I’m just a realist. When it comes to the 2A, the overwhelming majority of people opposed to my right are ignorant and a special kind of stupid, they pose a threat to my freedom and yours. You cannot and will not change their damaged minds, they will not hesitate to cheer on and support the force of government against us. “Que Sera, Sera”; when the dust settles, I won’t be surprised but I suspect you might be.

2. avatar John in Ohio says:

Spot on, SwampDaddy.

3. avatar strych9 says:

“I may be an extremist to you.”

I never said you appeared that way to me nor did I suggest in any way that you are. Don’t take this kind of shit personally.

How you appear to suburban soccer mom who’s on the fence is what matters. How you appear to her. One of the problems we have is the number of new shooters who say “I can’t believe how nice every one was!”.

Why can’t they believe everyone was so nice? Why did they assume everyone at the range was going to be an asshole? What is it about the 2A community that makes people nervous? Answer those questions and you’re on the road to winning people over in numbers so great Shannon Watts’ head will explode (hopefully on video).

People mistake some of what I say for some sort of weakness. It’s not. I’m an absolutely cold-blooded and ruthless person with questionable morals and the ability to turn off my feelings of empathy at will. I’m also lazy. As such I don’t want to fight these antigunners for decades. I want to win and win as permanently as possible. To crush these motherfuckers so badly they don’t come back for two generations.

I see no reason to cross a minefield to attack the enemy when I can make them cross their own minefield to attack my position.

4. avatar SwampDaddy says:

“makes you sound like exactly what they anti’s say you are: an extremist.”

“I never said you appeared that way to me nor did I suggest in any way that you are. “

Say what? Do my eyes deceive me?

5. avatar strych9 says:

“Say what? Do my eyes deceive me?”

Some might question your reading comprehension but based on the triviality of your argument I suspect you know damn right well what that sentence meant. Clearly you understand the concept of explicit explanation and simply choose when and where to apply that understanding.

“…makes you sound, to the target audience, like exactly what they anti’s say you are: an extremist.”

There. Better?

6. avatar SwampDaddy says:

“There. Better?”

Yes, better. Diction should alway be explicit, we are not mind readers! How’s that for a direct explanation and explicit diction? I suspect you know damn right well what you wanted that sentence to mean, clearly your diction failed on that segment of your screed. I’m not mad bro, and this is not an argument. Your correction is accepted.

2. avatar John in Ohio says:

PR battles don’t, IMHO, matter that much anymore in the long term. The anti-gunners, including some POTG will continue to repeat lies until they are accepted as truth. For just one example, Chipotle OC. How about “assault rufles”? We’ve passed a tipping point where exercise of the unalienable individual right to keep and bear arms, along with liberty in a broader sense, is in mortal danger.

What some POTG actually seem to want is, indeed, infringement of some sort. Apparently not enough understand or have the courage to support “shall not be infringed”.

I firmly believe that the only semi-peaceful solution is for POTG to openly, and in very large numbers, refuse all gun control laws. Short of that, all PR and “optics” are just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

1. avatar strych9 says:

“PR battles don’t, IMHO, matter that much anymore in the long term.”

Sure they do. Gay marriage, trans rights, the ACA, “free speech zones”. The list is almost too long to think about.

The Civil Rights movement in the 1960’s was almost all PR. So was Prohibition in the ’20’s and it’s repeal in the ’30’s.

Obama’s two terms and Trump’s first. Nearly all PR in one way or another. Go back and dig into the polling. A shockingly large number of people thought Obama wasn’t very competent at being POTUS, but they liked him. The 2018 election was the same thing too.

How people view things is critically important. That’s why “Who would you rather have a beer with?” is a question pollsters love. It cuts through a lot of shit and gets at the heart of a very important thing: how that person is perceived.

2. avatar John in Ohio says:

I’ll quote you so that you can understand…
          “Perhaps I shouldn’t assume that you can pick up from context the obvious meaning of a statement without having it clarified for you by direct explanation and explicit diction.”

The context of SwampDaddy’s post, to which I was replying BTW, was…
          “the deck is stacked against us and the 2A”

In other words the RKBA. Not any of the leftist oranges you are comparing to our apple. We have gone too far for PR to save us. My comment stands.

3. avatar Jean-Luc says:

Resistance is NOT futile!

14. avatar JD says:

Open carry in the woods or on your property is one thing. Open carry in public in cities is about making a statement. Open carry of rifles in cities is moronic.

1. avatar strych9 says:

“Open carry in public in cities is about making a statement.”

People making a political statement by… making a political statement.

Color me shocked.

2. avatar AzzKikR says:

Worked in Texas.

3. avatar John in Ohio says:

Horseshit. I carry openly every day going about my business IN THE CITY. Your comment isn’t much different than the left saying that someone carrying is out to shoot someone else.

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

Besides, what is the root purpose of the Second Amendment? If people are only carrying firearms, including long guns, when they intend on defending against enemies foreign or domestic then they would be telegraphing their immediate intent, wouldn’t they? That would be very foolish! POTG ought to be carrying long guns everyday and everywhere. Then, those enemies wouldn’t be able to tell intentions. Keep all enemies, foreign and domestic, guessing. That’s a deterrent value in the Second Amendment that has been lost on you mush brains of today.

Here, let me help you finish your transition into a complete anti-gun douche bag…
      ‘Carrying in the woods or on your property is one thing. Carrying in public in cities is about making a statement. Carrying of rifles is moronic.’
      You’re welcome.

1. avatar JD says:

Well Cunthead, let me tell you something, if I am in a restaurant and you walk in with a rifle, you might just get shot in the face by someone like me. I don’t know you or your intentions. But because you are most likely a fat useless sweaty fuck, I’ll keep it holstered figuring you are one of these retards that wants everyone to look at him because muh open carry! Just keep your hands off the grip because I’ll have 5 in your face before you can even snap off the safety. And I’ll be able to articulate it to the cops as well so I’ll be sleeping in my bed that night while you and your bullshit statement can sleep on a stainless steel table.

1. avatar Docduracoat says:

JD,
          I suggest you go to Andrew Branca’s web site “lawofselfdefense.com”
          He describes the 5 elements of lawful use of deadly force in self defense.
          You cannot shoot someone just because he touched his gun in your presence.
          Especially if he is legally open carrying.
          So get some education before spouting off like that.

2. avatar JD says:

Bullshit. In this day and age, if someone walks into a restaurant with a slung rifle and gets shot, if the shooter has any iota of intelligence, and can articulate to law enforcement why they shot, even if the shooting wasn’t a legit self defense shooting, the shooter will walk. There are many cases where this is what happened. Do some research before you swallow one guys opinion on the subject. It is not black and white. There are always grey areas.

3. avatar arc says:

This comment can and will be used against you in court if that ever happened.

4. avatar JD says:

Lmao, no, it won’t. Too many nervous nellies and safety sallies out there. Get skilled get educated and you won’t live life being so apprehensive.

15. avatar Warlocc says:

There’s a time and place for open carry. This wasn’t it.

1. avatar John in Ohio says:

Please, enlighten us as to when is acceptable. I must have missed that part of the Second Amendment.

16. avatar arc says:

I hate being a party pooper but 6-7 people? Thats it? IN FLORDIA!?!

1. avatar John in Ohio says:

Look at some of the comments here. It shouldn’t be a surprise.

17. avatar HEGEMON says:

Good job to all. I was surprised that the communist mayor of Tallahassee wasn’t out there goading the police to to do “something”. He must have been on another Kapo Soros funded trip or getting indicted for corruption.

18. avatar Docduracoat says:

While open carry is a poor choice for everyday carry, it has its place when making a political statement.
    The more that people see guns in public and nothing happens, the more it normalizes gun culture.
    We are fighting a public relations war here.
    Old white guys are the most non threatening demographic.
    If it was a group of angry young black men screaming obscenities while armed ( like the left likes to do), people would be frightened and would want guns outlawed.
    We need to add some pretty young women and some minority grandmothers to that open carry march.
    That way gun rights also becomes women’s and minority self defense rights.

19. avatar Gadsden Flag says:

Sorry, I was off shore fishing yesterday. Otherwise, may have attended. That said, I could heve sported my pisola for everyone around the marina to see? Why? Those old salty guys had seen a handgun, or two. Probably carrying one themselves. Kept it concealed. Should open carry be legal? Sure. Is it a good idea? Not always.

20. avatar raptor jesus says:

NO STEP ON SNEK

1. avatar Dixie Co says:

I cherish my Second Amendment Rights so I will be nowhere near this stupid event.