KY Journalist: Don’t Come Crying to Me if You Shoot Yourself in the Junk

ky constitutional carry joe gerth

courtesy twitter.com

You remember Joe Gerth. He’s the journalismist who was actually smart enough to pass the Kentucky concealed carry test. He really isn’t a fan of his state joining the constitutional carry club.

Somewhere along the way, the National Rifle Association somehow convinced our legislators that we’re safer with more guns — not fewer — and, most recently, that no one really needs to be trained to carry one.

But there is a difference.

If your gun is in public view under the current law, I know one of two things: 1) You’re some sort of a hotshot cowboy who measures his manhood by the piece on his hip, or, 2) You don’t care enough about your own safety and mine to spend a Saturday afternoon in a class to learn about gun safety.

Either way, I know to avoid you.

– Joseph Gerth in With concealed carry law, don’t whine if you shoot yourself in the crotch

comments

1. avatar GlockMeAmadeus says:

Opinions are like journocommies. Everybody has one.

1. avatar SAFEupstateFML says:

Would be ecstatic if it was only one. Love the allusion by the way.

2. avatar Diksum says:

Opinions are like assholes – everybody has one. In this case this guy is one.

1. avatar VicRattlehead says:

Seems to me that journalists share the most in common with that particular anatomical feature. After all, the only thing that comes from either is hot air and excrement.

2. avatar Kenneth says:

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one, and most of them stink. And this idiot’s opinions reek like he hasn’t wiped in years.
        I’ve learned this much in life, whenever someone’s makes out like there are only TWO options(in anything at all), s/he’s either a liar or a thief. I wonder which one this stinker is.
        OFC there are many options more. Perhaps he just really likes Bloomberg’s money. Or perhaps he has brain damage. It’s probably really easy to damage a brain that gets squashed every time he sits down.

3. avatar Reason says:

I think journalists may have 2. They spew it from both ends.

3. avatar MMurcek says:

No, I don’t have a carbuncle like that on my a$$…

2. avatar DaveL says:

If you’re an anti-gun leftist writing for a Kentucky newspaper, I know two things:

1) You don’t have the intellect to handle a real job; and

2) You don’t have the connections to get a journo position where you actually *want* to live.

1. avatar Jonathan-Houston says:

Well played.

2. avatar John Boch says:

He should learn to code. He’s gonna need that skill later in life.

1. avatar WesleysHuman says:

NEGATIVE!!!!!!! I’ve had too many coworkers that had the title “software engineer” and couldn’t get water out of a boot with the instructions printed on the heel! We don’t need any more of these knuckle draggers writing more bad/insecure software!

Teach them to do something useful like clean garbage out of garbage trucks!

3. avatar Kap says:

Gee how far we have progressed in Destroying the Constitution, Boss Tweed loved Gun Control, {politician} these holier than thou’s absolutely love to tell you all about how wrong you are and how right they are! Gun control is a political invention to obstruct, play smoke and mirrors when the Idiots {Commie Pinko Democrats} cant do anything positive. More Guns are for the population increase of 100 million in 50 years,

4. avatar M1Lou says:

Guess this guy doesn’t understand the difference between a right and a privelege? Americans carried arms for centuries before gun control Nazis came about and did just fine. They can do just fine without kneeling before the state and paying their bribe money to exercise a right.

5. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Why would anyone call a journalist if they shot themselves in any part of their anatomy? I’m thinking 911 would be the first call I’d make.

1. avatar No one of consequence says:

Well, if a journalist shot himself in the junk, I’d call irony. Or perhaps poetic justice.

1. avatar Old Guy in Montana says:

Best Laugh of the Day!

Thank you for the chortle.

2. avatar pwrserge says:

I’d call it natural selection at work.

3. avatar DaveL says:

If a journalist shot himself in the junk, I’d call it marksmanship.

1. avatar That Jason says:

Aim small, miss small

4. avatar roger says:

Irony is the opposite of wrinkly.

1. avatar LazrBeam says:

It was a pressing issue.

6. avatar bryan1980 says:

Wow, this guy does more projecting than a Bell & Howell in a science class back in the 60’s! Like someone else said, he’s just waiting for that phone call from Portland, Seattle, or any one of those soy-boy cities so he can flee KY and it’s unsafe liberty and be with those of his own ilk.

7. avatar ColoradoKid says:

“…Either way, I know to avoid you.”

And I will honor your wish by avoiding you when/if you are being mugged or beaten. Someone so stupid and ignorant doesn’t deserve my help.

1. avatar AD says:

He won’t know who to avoid. He’ll be just as clueless tomorrow as he was yesterday. Then when someone armed unloads a grocery cart in line behind him, this guy will still be unaware that nothing happened.

8. avatar former water walker says:

It’s kinda’ funny but occasionally when I’m in nearby Indiana I encounter an open carrier. And I know it AIN’T a gangbangers gat. Kain-tucky boy is a weenie…

9. avatar Timothy says:

The shame about the world is that 5 or 10 years from now when injuries through accidental discharge don’t change…. no one will challenge this retard’s previous statements.

1. avatar TorroViejo says:

Look to Arizona where open carry has existed for decades. Our streets do not run red with blood and shoot outs are found in the movies

1. avatar Chris Mallory says:

Kentucky has had legal non permit open carry for centuries. The state constitution only gives the state legislature authority to regulate concealed carry.

1. avatar LazrBeam says:

Alabama is open carry and if someone chooses to that’s their business. I choose concealed. My thinking is open carry is a billboard to the bad guys announcing, “Hey, shoot me first”. Now out in the woods or on the river/lake open carry is definitely my mode.

10. avatar Old Guy in Montana says:

I have hopes, after we are finally rid of of our DNC shill of a Governor* – Steve Bullock (D)**, that Montana can finally join the ranks of Constitutional Carry. The bastich has an almost 100% record of vetoing all firearm legislation brought to his desk for signing. Our Attorney General – Tim Fox (R) – looks like he will run for Governor in 2020..this is a good thing. Tim is a staunch supporter of law enforcement and the 2A.

*Montana is one of 15 States with legislative term limits.

**Bullock and Inslee (Washington) are two Governors with delusions of grandeur coupled with an overwhelming desire to impose their political views on the rest of us as POTUS (obviously they do not believe in their respective Oaths to “Protect and Defend the Constitution of the United States…”)

1. avatar Carl B. says:

Don’t hold your breath. Montana just re-elected one of the biggest pieces of lying s*** in American politics to the Senate, Democrat Jon Tester.

The people get the government they deserve.

1. avatar Old Guy in Montana says:

Agree!

Tester is the #1 whore in Congress two election cycles in a row…he is the #1 recipient of lobbyist money in all of Congress (535 Members)…that’s some serious prostitution going down.*

*https://americarisingpac.org/fact-check-tester-is-top-recipient-of-lobbyist-money/

11. avatar MyName says:

Another one of these idiots that think that a 6 hour CC class somehow radically changes every person’s understanding of firearms safety. Dude, the fact that you knew so little before you took your class does not justify the assumption that everyone else spends the first 40 odd years of their life with their head up their ass. I’d wager that I knew more about guns and gun safety when I was 15 than you do now.

12. avatar GeorgiaBob says:

I actually remember when it was illegal to hide the fact you were carrying a firearm. Only peace officers and specially licensed officials or investigators could carry concealed weapons. In the 50s and 60s (in Texas where I grew up) ordinary folk just strapped on or slung it over a shoulder.

A short while after I got my driver’s license (at 16), I was sitting in a country diner eating breakfast after an unsuccessful dear hunt. A cop walked up, looked over the Spngfld ’03 (with the bolt open) in the corner of the booth, the knife and the .44 mag revolver holstered on my hip. He asked if I had just walked over from “Hoop’s” place. When I acknowledged I had, the officer told me that I left too soon cause he heard on the radio someone just harvested a 14 pointer by the creek.

Not a word about my age. No comment on the actual “military assault rifle” next to me. Nothing was said about the powerful sidearm, or the very long (Buck General, I still have it) knife next to it. The officer went to the counter for his breakfast, and I muttered about my own impatience.

I still think that rule against carrying concealed was stupid and unconstitutional, the same as I argued in civics class back then. I also believe that most people had more sense, were more polite, and better informed then.

1. avatar Chris Mallory says:

There was a Kentucky court case from the early 1800’s that stated “honest men carry their arms openly. Only an outlaw or highwayman has reason to conceal his weapons.” Or words to that effect.

13. avatar Timothy Toroian says:

No Oe Of Consequence and Old Man in Montana, if a journalist had a gun go off in his pants it would a natural miss unless he shot himself in the leg.

14. avatar Jr says:

I’m pretty solidly in the “concealed is better than open carry” camp, but everyone still has the right to do it however they want.

1. avatar SoCalJack says:

Same here. I believe the same for knives, depending on where you are (I.e. at the mall vs out hiking) but then knife laws, open/concealed, are a little different than gun rights.

1. avatar Chris Mallory says:

“but then knife laws, open/concealed, are a little different than gun rights.”

No they aren’t. Knives are arms protected by the 2nd. My CDWL covers knives and impact weapons as well as firearms.

1. avatar Old Guy in Montana says:

Same in Montana. Our CWP covers more than mere firearms….and, we are a “shall issue” State.

2. avatar SoCalJack says:

My apologies for not being specific. In CA, gun and knife laws differ. We cannot open carry a firearm, but we can open carry (but not conceal) a large fixed blade knife (e.g. Bowie, machete) just not in schools and most state and county buildings. I live in a slave state, 2A is heavily infringed, but our knife laws aren’t too bad compared to our gun laws.

3. avatar Aaron Walker says:

[email protected] An infringement is an INFRINGEMENT !!! Whether it’s a gun, or a knife! “SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED !” (There is NO such thing as PRE-CRIME ! And Murder is a Capital Crime….It is already against the Law ! )

2. avatar rt66paul says:

Gravity knives, switchblades, butterfly knives, daggers, tactical knives and locking knives are all illegal or have some provision against their use, here in Ca. Not to mention, tools of the trade for goon LEOS, like saps, slap gloves, billy clubs, batons, brass knuckles, etc.
        Ca, as well as some cities have many laws on the books, so many that most LEOs would have a hard time even finding them.

15. avatar Manse Jolly says:

Watched the short video from the source link.

Anybody that uses the phrase “Packing Heat” I automatically avoid. Like this guy.

16. avatar Jim Bullock says:

So journo-guy dorsn’t want to judge, but shooting’s fine so long as you keep it in the closet?

Not that he wants to judge. He just doesn’t want any of that shooting stuff around him, because it’s icky.

Have I got this right?

17. avatar Bierce Ambrose says:

Wow. Those are the only reasons for a gun in public view?

How about “Rifles are hard to pocket carry?”

18. avatar Jim Bullock says:

I think everyone going to or from a hunt, range day, or LGS, should open carry … and stop at Starbucks on the way.

The other thing journo-guy can know is true is that somebody wanted a cup of coffee…

1. avatar LazrBeam says:

I beg to differ. I don’t stop at Starbucks for anything. It might not make any difference to their bottom line but I feel better choosing not to spend my $ with them. They can kiss my big ol’ rusty ass.

1. avatar Kenneth says:

I think he meant stop at starbucks to use their free bathroom policy and make a big mess, not buy anything. Piss all over the wall and on the floor and whatnot, the same as all the perverts they welcome with open arms do.

19. avatar Jim Bullock says:

So, journo-guy thinks guns are weird and abnormal, and wants everyone else to think that too.

Much diversity. And inclusion, even.

20. avatar strych9 says:

The maturity level is off the charts with this guy.

“If you OC my dad can beat up your dad and you have a small wee wee.” is basically what he’s saying.

Some serious #fatcrayonsandsweatbands shit right there.

21. avatar Bohucka says:

“If your gun is in public view under the current law, I know one of two things: 1) You’re some sort of a hotshot cowboy who measures his manhood by the piece on his hip, or, 2) You don’t care enough about your own safety and mine to spend a Saturday afternoon in a class to learn about gun safety.”

3) I’m skeered!

22. avatar Don from CT says:

I agree with him in one way. Don’t whie if you shoot yourself in the crotch.

Own the mistake and move on.

23. avatar DrDKW says:

So, basically, he’s saying “You need the state’s permission to not look like a jerk or idiot!”

24. avatar possum says:

“I know to avoid you.” Good one down 699 billion to go. Fck humans!!

25. avatar Hannibal says:

oh no, what will gun owners do? The very important journalist knows to avoid them! I guess they’ll have to go home and cry.

1. avatar strych9 says:

I’m just ticked he won’t let me into his sweet-ass tree fort.

26. avatar Phil Wilson says:

“Either way, I know to avoid you.”

Help normalize responsible carry, and repel douche bags. Win-win.

1. avatar CarlosT says:

I know, right? He’s saying it like it’s a bad thing.

27. avatar Wiregrass says:

Can hardly wait for this guy to get together with Kuntzman to shoot AR-15’s at a range and write a story about it. Oh the Horror!

28. avatar Geoff "I'm getting too old for this shit" PR says:

I have a dream :

My dream is, one day in the next year or so the SCOTUS rules carry outside the home is expressly constitutional, but allows the states can chose the mode of carry, open or concealed.

Then the states have a referendum : ‘Out of sight, out of mind’ (so the pearl-clutchers wont be ‘triggered’ by seeing evil guns), or openly, so the citizens can flee in terror when they see a gun.

Oh, the debates they will have, being forced to accept one or the other… 😉

29. avatar Paul Hurst says:

“Either way, I know to avoid you.”

Another benefit of Open Carry!

30. avatar RMS1911 says:

“They’ve convinced us that the Kentucky Constitution already allows people to carry guns in public as long as they’re strapped to one’s hips and in clear public view, and that there is no difference if the gun is hidden.”
    What chest rigs and shoulder holsters are illegal there?/sarc off
    The US Constitution overrides state Constitutions in matters contained within the US Constitution such as rtkba.
    There is only one Constitutional gun law and it ends with shall not be infringed.
    As you were
    Carry on
    Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty~ Thomas Jefferson
    But sometimes you have to put your foot in their ass and wear them like a fuzzy house slipper.~ me

31. Well there goes the 1st Amendment ! Especially, if “Fake News” Journalist’s keep stabbing themselves in the DICK#¤LE with their pens! Maybe they should take should take some ethics class on “reporting” the news and NOT directing it….

32. avatar Ed Schrade says:

Who gives a s#@t about your opinion. Anyone see’s this guy getting mugged, call 911 and film it for the rest of us. If he asks why you didn’t help him tell him you were scared you would shoot yourself in the leg.

33. avatar Kyle says:

Ah Journalists.

Devolving the average intelligence of a nation since William Randolph Hurst.

34. avatar BlakeW5 says:

So I can be a “hot-shot cowboy” just by open-carrying? Didn’t know it was that easy. Bonus points since it’ll keep effeminate males like this journalist away from me. I’d argue that actually makes my “junk” safer

35. avatar luigi says:

he looks like big al from toy story 2 only with slightly more hair.

i know everyone gets a little angry when talking about their political boogeyman but he seems extra pissy