Weapon-Mounted Light: Everyday Carry Pocket Dump of the Day

Today’s pocket dump comes from Florida and features a Wilson Combat Protector Professional with a Surefire X300. WMLs – weapon mounted lights – are good idea on your carry gun if you know how to use them. Simply turning them on and shining the light all over the place is not a good way to use a WML.

So, with that in mind, before you get a WML consider training of some sort. It might sound silly but even lights require experience. Make sure you know how to use yours.

How about it. What’s the proper use of a WML?

comments

1. avatar smitty says:

Man, this site has really gone to hell since Rober F. left.

2. avatar Yarbles says:

And so have you…

3. avatar pwrserge says:

The X300 is a great light, but not on a compact pistol. I have to clean stippling off of the bezel every time I go shoot, and that’s on a full length Glock 34.

1. avatar NM says:

Two things: wrap a bit of electrical tape around the top of the bezel and use the Thyrm CLENS protectors.

I have an X300U on all of my G19s and shoot a lot – this approach has made cleaning a non-issue for me.

4. avatar AZgunner says:

I have a streamlight tlr-1 on my duty pistol, a Glock 22. It was issued with the weapon and I’ve had no issues with it. No light on my off duty carry, a Glock 26.

5. avatar Specialist38 says:

Cmon! This is just bullshit.

The proper use of a weapon light is illuminating what’s in front of you so you hit perp and not a friendly.

You don’t use it to direct traffic and I don’t think most people would use it for that.

If the damned pistol comes out, it is serious. Do you think most readers would be waving their pistol all around or focusing on a potential threat?

Maybe most readers could decide on a light and then spend a little time to see its effect downrange. It ain’t rocket science.

Jeez!

1. avatar Gadsden says:

When clearing my house at night with a strobe WML, I like to wildly twirl my arm around my head in a rapid continuous circular motion to amplify the strobe effect.

1. avatar possum says:

That made me laugh, good one

2. avatar Specialist38 says:

Well yeah….who doesn’t ? Your point?

3. avatar -Peter says:

The strobe technique is correct, especially if you’re also blasting really loud dance music from a home speaker system. An effective home defense strategy is to make the perpetrators think they accidentally stumbled into a popular night club.

1. avatar Gadsden says:

These days with the proper wireless set up, you could probably rig a pretty insane system in your house connected to an alarm system, that would make all the lights and electronics in the house flash on and off rapidly while blasting death metal. Send the intruder into a seizure.

4. avatar NM says:

I picture you are humming disco music too 🙂

2. avatar pwrserge says:

There’s a technique for that indoors. You use backscatter to navigate. Basically, point the light (and the pistol) at the floor and use it like a portable lightbulb. Indoors, it works fine.

1. avatar Geoff "Bring the EDIT button back, will ya, TTAG?" PR says:

“Basically, point the light (and the pistol) at the floor and use it like a portable lightbulb.”

Why would that be preferable to pointing it up at the white ceiling?

At least in my home, room lights (excepting lamps) shine down from above…

1. avatar CarlosT says:

Two things I can think of. First, you might go outside, or somewhere with high ceilings, but pretty much anywhere you’re walking, there’s going to be a floor. Second is more individual, but low ready is halfway through the draw. If you encounter a threat, just finish the pushout. It seems to me like that would be easier and more consistent than coming down and trying to acquire the sights that way.

2. avatar Geoff "Bring the EDIT button back, will ya, TTAG?" PR says:

That makes sense, Carlos, thanks…

3. avatar JD says:

You think it’s as simple as just turning on the light to see any perps? Lmao, you would be the first one shot..

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

As opposed to NOT turning on a light and seeing the perps…….right.

Whether you bounce the light or direct the light to sweep…..at some point you will pointing a weapon light directly at your target.

Unless you have some Willy Winka Fluegal light that shines out your ass.

1. avatar JD says:

Lmao, I’ve never heard of a Willy winka flugal ass mounted light. How many lumens is it?😂

2. avatar B says:

That’s right. It’s called the 3rd brown eye principle.😉

6. avatar joel says:

What happened to the Glock 43?

1. avatar Frank in VA says:

Clearly, that Glock 43 is a a trans-modeled firearm that self-identifies as three different kinds of guns depending on what day it is. Each identity was covered once in a pocket dump, in keeping with the ideals of inclusiveness and diversity.

But what would you know about it? You are probably have cis-modeled guns which are the same model every day. That is so 2018 of you.

7. avatar Jedi Wombat says:

This also looks strangely familiar….

8. avatar strych9 says:

“What’s the proper use of a WML?”

I use mine as a reading lamp and for reading the addresses on houses as I cruise around at night.

1. avatar Grant. says:

I prefer to use them as reading lights when I go out. Like when it’s too dark inside the bank, and you need to read something. Just pull out my Weapon Mounted Light out and point it at whatever you need to read.
      Careful, for some reason they don’t like when you do it at schools..

2. avatar possum says:

You guys are on a roll lol

3. avatar Geoff "Bring the EDIT button back, will ya, TTAG?" PR says:

“…and for reading the addresses on houses as I cruise around at night.”

I’m surprised you’ve never had a beam of coherent shined back on *you* from one of those homes…

4. avatar just sayin says:

…menu reading at your favorite restaurant…

9. avatar Enuf says:

Well, it does cure darkness, so far as I have heard.

10. avatar The Dude Abides says:

Nice Seiko.

11. avatar possum says:

.i duct taped a flashlight on my 1911 and now the slide won’t go back ,WTF

1. avatar MT says:

You’re supposed to attach it to the trigger. The trigger becomes multi-function. Duh

12. avatar GunnyGene says:

Don’t need a light. That’s what full auto is for.

1. avatar Gadsden says:

Light the way with muzzle flashes!

2. avatar Geoff "Bring the EDIT button back, will ya, TTAG?" PR says:

Flashlight batteries can last an hour.

Can you hump an hour’s worth of full-auto ammo?

1. avatar jwm says:

Parachute flares. Light everything up.

13. avatar Trampled Under Foot says:

I was at the High Liability Training Conference a few years ago and took a class on combat light techniques. Specialist38 is right. It ain’t rocket science, but there’s more to it than you might think. Light on. Shoot. Light off. Move.

1. avatar NM says:

Wait, you mean you need training to properly employ a WML?? 😉

My first low light class was eye-opening… and it affected my carry gear choices significantly. People would do well to get in a class before deciding what they need, what is enough and how it should be used…

14. avatar Grumpy Old Guy says:

When I review my needs, a WML makes sense for nightstand duty only. The odds of needing a handheld light are much higher than a WML. Night sights will suffice for many low light situations without adding bulk or increasing the draw speed or giving the perp something to aim at. KISS trumps extra gear in most situations.

1. avatar NM says:

One point that gets missed by some in these discussions is that a WML is not meant to replace a handheld under normal use. It is so, when it is time to shoot, you can put both hands on the gun and still see what you are shooting at.

It should be handheld or handheld and WML.

Of course, it doesn’t help that most have had zero training in low light techniques and how to properly use a WML. It isn’t a flashlight yet many think that is how it is used.

15. avatar raptor jesus says:

my phone has a flashlight.

16. avatar L says:

Reading some of these hilarious comments has restored some of my faith in humanity. There really are some thinkin’ humans out there among the mass of robots.