Water Buffalo Carry: Everyday Carry Pocket Dump of the Day

The VersaCarry Commander is the first thing I see looking at this pocket dump; this is definitely a case of the holster being the featured item.

The VersaCarry 2018 Commander is made from premium water buffalo and has features such as a raised protective backing and spare mag pouch. It’s an OWB holster and, yes, it’s available for both right and left-handed shooters.

If you carry a spare mag do you prefer to have it in a separate holster/pouch or are you a fan of combo carry such as this?

comments

1. avatar Grumpy says:

Mag in weak side back pocket, always turned with rounds up and butt plate out so it comes out of pocket facing the right way for quick insert.
    For reference, Ruger LC9s pro in front strong side pocket.

2. avatar Pmac says:

Only an idiot carries a reload on the same side as the weapon. Unless, it’s a revolver. I’m right hand. Ejecting magazine while reaching for spare magazine with left. Know a better way please enlighten me. Of course, it’s better than reload.

1. avatar Andy says:

No, only an idiot carries on one reload. Doesn’t matter what side it’s on.

1. avatar Hannibal says:

lol

how many gunfights have you been in, Wyatt?

1. avatar Andy says:

Does the sand box count? Smart ass!

2. avatar B.D. says:

Clearly enough to want to carry more than a single mag on the homefront.

2. avatar slasher667 says:

I’ve never had a problem reloading my glock 42 from the spare magazine I keep in my jeans coin pocket, floor plate up with the rounds facing out, grab it with my left hand, drop the mag and slap the spare in is much easier than reaching towards my weak side and fishing it off a belt, my weak hand is already going to be closer to my spare magazine carried in the coin pocket.

3. avatar Bill in OR says:

I would rather have a separate mag pouch on my left side (I’m RH). I’ve seen this complaint many times and don’t know why they haven’t resolved this issue. I’d pay a bit more if they did. The only retention in the holster is the compression of the holster sides, but I still like the holster.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

So, is there an advantage to water buffalo?

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

you just had to ask…

baby kangaroo skin is excellent too.

4. avatar Enuf says:

No, a spare magazine does not belong on the holster.

1. avatar B.D. says:

*Googles “T. Rex Arms Sidecar”

…hmm… interesting. Looks like it DOES belong on an AIWB rig and functions like it too.

1. avatar Enuf says:

No, a spare magazine does not belong on the holster.

2. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

did tommy bolin die in a machine gun hack?

5. avatar strych9 says:

The only reason I see to carry the spare mag on the holster is if it’s a second spare.

If you already went through two mags you’re probably in a situation where you’ve either found cover and can afford the extra time to pull the spare from the “wrong” side, have gotten away and can afford the time, are in a lull where you can afford the time or you’re totally fucked and which side the third mag comes from doesn’t matter anyway.

1. avatar B.D. says:

Even then, they should both be weak hand side. Too easy to get a kydex double mag pouch.

6. avatar Ronald Hunter says:

I like the basic design of the holster mag combo. I think a cross draw design with the mag section behind the holster would work well.

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

see, yeah. then strong and weak side are happening.

7. avatar JD says:

People who buy holsters that have mag pouches are amateurs. The only exception are some of the appendix rigs. I’m still not a fan and I carry appendix.

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

Unless you get paid to tote a gun….you’re an amateur.

1. avatar B.D. says:

Wut? Wrong.

Unless you get paid to type scenarios and judgments, you are a keyboard warrior.

2. avatar JD says:

And you would be wrong. As I know plenty of cops and soldiers that couldn’t shoot their way out of a wet paper bag.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Words have meanings. If they are paid for their incompetence, they are professionals.

2. avatar B.D. says:

Plenty of AIWB kydex rigs that put the mag in the right spot. Tons of kydex holsters offer the mag to the weak hand side. So where do you carry yours? Have you heard of T. Rex Arms? Because I can assure you they are far from amatuer and their best selling rig is a Sidecar. Your post kind of makes no sense.

1. avatar JD says:

Obviously you didn’t read my entire post. I said the only exception are some appendix rigs. I carry appendix, and those rigs suck. I’ll wear my mags on my left side at 8 o’clock thank you very much.

1. avatar B.D. says:

No, I did… but just to be clear… you draw from the front of an AIWB then draw a mag from the back side?

why? Not only does that not seem comfortable, but far from practical. If it works for you then, whatever… but you might just be the only one to carry AIWB then carry your mag on your belt behind you. A pocket mag, maybe… but your setup is just odd.

8. avatar Cloudbuster says:

Another VersaCarry fail. Waste of a good water buffalo.

9. avatar B.D. says:

Second VeraCarry post in a week… and it sucks worse than the last one.

10. avatar Southerner says:

Perjoratives, profanity and ad hominem attacks have no place in product discussions.

1. avatar Enuf says:

True but then neither do holsters with the spare magazine integrated onto the wrong side of the body.

11. avatar possum says:

an Asian water buffalo, not an Afican water buffalo, so its probably full of leaches and died dragging a stick through a mud hole., … I kinda like it, the leather looks nice, , and a person could always substitute a knife for the magazine. At least it’s leather,

1. avatar Johnny says:

Which has a faster airspeed, an Asian or African water buffalo?

1. avatar Cloudbuster says:

What? I don’t know that! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

2. avatar Enuf says:

Studies have shown no measurable difference. Both can move at about 30mph in air, which has been found to be inadequate to achieve liftoff even when running into a headwind.

1. avatar Tim, the Enchanter says:

But what if two buffalos worked together, say pulling the stick with a piece of string….

2. avatar Enuf says:

I know it has been experimented with. The problem is water buffaloes are very partisan creatures, they never agree on anything. So, when asked to run together they get ornery and run in opposite directions. Or worse, they get really mad and just run at each other.

The dream of flight becomes lost in all the water buffalo party politics.

3. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

just wait until they’ve had a chat with ‘arold. bovine aviation won’t be far behind.
          once they start perchin’ it’s just a matter of time.

3. avatar Kevin says:

I didn’t realize they were migratory.

12. avatar Craig in IA says:

Shoot- I thought the “water buffalo” thing was in reference to the dude carrying the piece. About half the guys waddling through the gun shows I work fit the water buff description- size and smell.

13. avatar Jay in Florida says:

SHTF or Black Arch horizontal belt carrier. Weak side. Best way to carry a spare mag for me. In 35+ years of EDC. Never leave home without one or 2.

1. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

same from strych9.1
      on sale now for 23.95.

14. avatar daveinwyo says:

Nice to see leather. Imagine a slide holster with contour cut thumb break for right side carry. Now try a double carry mag pouch to match for left carry. Pistol is your choice but I use an LCP. I would imagine that leather will last a long time and age well, but might be a mite heavy.

15. avatar Ing says:

I carry a gun because a water buffalo is too heavy.

1. avatar B.D. says: