The Flashlight Conundrum: Everyday Carry Pocket Dump of the Day

This pocket dump includes a GLOCK 43, a folding blade, and an Olight. The Olight is a 1000-lumen flashlight, but it’s a small one. Being smaller does make it easier to conceal, but does it also make it more difficult to use? What do you guys think? Should you – do  you – carry a larger flashlight so it’s easier to manipulate should the situation arise where you need to utilize it or is a smaller one just fine?

And here’s a bonus question: how many lumens do you believe are enough?

comments

1. avatar Old Guy in Montana says:

Same equipment three days in a row…!?!?!?

Fenix PD-35 Tactical for my EDC flashlight…outside corner, left rear pocket. Great balance between physical size and output power…and, it can be used as a kubaton.

Bonus answer…depends on the beam color, pattern and dispersion…300+ lumens is a good starting point.

2. avatar Rick the Bear says:

I carry a 1 cell CR123 Fenix everyday everywhere. If I go away where I’m “required” to be gun-free, I go 2 cell. I also carry a Brite Strike penlight as an extra. I goes very nicely in my pocket when I need to fly.

More is better for defensive use. I like that the Fenix and Brite Strike have a low setting as needed.

Oh, I also have one of those tiny button cell lights (I can’t remember the brand) with a red LED on my carry on if I have to fly at night. (I don’t want to blind myself.)

3. avatar SoCalJack says:

I never understood why thoses small olight s1 baton flashlights (switch near the bezel) as a primary or secondary to a concealed carrier are so popular. Not knocking olight, I have 3. I carry a streamlight protac 1L-1AA (olight RCR123A battery) that I can wrap all my fingers and quickly find the thumb switch. From experience, under stress, my fine motor skills go out the window. So I need tools to go with my gross motor skills and sweaty hands.

4. avatar Geoff "Just what you see, pal." PR says:

Tonight’s nano-sized ‘Digest’ :

Dick Miller, the actor who played the pawnshop owner (“Phased plasma rifle in the 40 Watt range? Hey, just what you see, pal”.) in James Cameron’s 1984 hit ‘The Terminator’ has died at age 90.

RIP, Mr. Miller.

That was one of the most iconic Hollywood movie gun quotes of all time…

1. avatar possum says:

Ithaca SBR for the win, lol

5. avatar The Realist says:

Website should be called “The Truth About Glocks” or “Kat’s Glock Everyday Pocket Carry Dump Of The Day”.

1. avatar L says:

LOL ain’t that the truth.

6. avatar Frank in VA says:

TTAG, are you messing with us?

Or is someone not paying attention?

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

Yes….and yes..

2. avatar Frank in VA says:

Just in case it’s the latter, let me just point out the obvious:

The last three pocket dumps of the day (Jan 28, 29, 30) have all been from the same person, with the username ‘Nwprepped’ on Everyday Carry. This is the same actual Glock, holster, knife, and flashlight arranged in different photos and submitted multiple times.

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

Maybe they are into feng shui.

Different layout of gear to channel energy based on their goals.

2. avatar possum says:

Well they do switch from hollow points to fmj and change the battery brands. So it’s the same but different.

3. avatar CarlosT says:

Well, we’re still wondering what was up with the SUV.

1. avatar Kenneth says:

And the edit button. And the notify function. And on and on. One wonders just how long it might take to fix something that worked before for years and years. I happen to think that 3 years ought to be plenty.

1. avatar Gadsden says:

Now that you explain it like that, it might confirm our worst fears. TTAG is run by the government.

7. avatar Yarbles says:

Carry my G43 in my ScotteVest lower right pocket. Has a wide elastic band designed to hold a small water bottle that fits it perfectly. Covers the trigger and trigger guard and stabilizes the weapon so that I do not have to use my Remora soft holster. The upper left pocket has a slip-pouch inside just the right for my SureFire E2D Ultra at 600 Lumens. The light has a large enough reflector that the light output is very useful from 10 to 100 feet.

Small high-output flashlights with small reflector assemblies get very hot very quickly and burn batteries quickly too as well as no being ergonomic or offering as useful a beam as larger reflector models.

The O-lights I have seen and used are somewhat less than durable. I’ll stick to Surefire and Streamlight.

8. avatar Centralva says:

I prefer a flashlight at least the length of the palm of my hand. The lack of a tail cap switch would be the issue with the pictured light along with length. For the last 5 years I’ve carried a malkoff devices mdc tac 1cr123 which has worked flawlessly, it’s high mode is 250 lumens, and the shrouded tailcap is great for pocket carry. A high mode of more than 100 lumens is adequate on most lights. I am not a fan of turbo mode lights that auto step down soon after turn on.

1. avatar Kman says:

This ∆ exactly. I’ve got a few and I think the one I throw in my pocket most often is just a Coast.

9. avatar Daniel says:

I prefer the streamlight microstream.

Small enough with no bulge in my pants pocket with one of the finest clips in the industry. I like how it’s very simple, very durable, sufficient runtime and plenty bright enough for my purposes. Coupled with a 4pack of lithium ion Energizer batteries I mb the glove box…I’m good to go.

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

Agreed on the micro stream clip. I put ome on my Stylus Pro.

The micro stream kept getting bumped up in my pocket and falling out due to its shortness. The Style Pro may get bumped up but fall back down in my pocket.

I carry it at the back edge of my left front pocket. Streamlight makes some thoughtful stuff.

2. avatar joel says:

I carry the microstream as well. very useful edc item.

10. avatar Specialist38 says:

I can’t use a shorty light with arthritic thumbs.

I settled on a Streamlight Stylus Pro. Longer than my palm, but thin. Easy to use. Switch let’s you push and release. Have to push hard to snap it on so it doesn’t turn on in my pocket.

90 lumens or so with good throw. Add in a viridian reactor light on my LCP and I’m good to go.

1. avatar Frank in VA says:

Thats my EDC light too. Nice little light at a good price. Got my girlfriend one as a stocking stuffer.

11. avatar possum says:

A lot of people hold the kerosene laterns in front of them, I’ve found that holding it behind you illuminates the path better as your not blinded by the light.

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

Doesn’t it burn your tail?

1. avatar possum says:

Low drag, high speed tail,,,that and the possum peter fire extinguisher

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

LMAO

2. avatar Geoff "Bring the EDIT button back, will ya, TTAG?" PR says:

“…and the possum peter fire extinguisher”

Consume plenty of liquids (like beer) regularly to keep that extinguisher fully ‘charged’… 🙂

3. avatar Old Guy in Montana says:

LOL…made me think of the old movie “Strange Brew” and how Bob put out the fire at the brewery…

2. avatar Manse Jolly says:

…another runner in the night possum?

sorry..it’s early and now that song will be in my head all day.

12. avatar Ray Cowburn says:

I only joined this website for some tech articles (hmmm…remember buying Playboy for the articles?) but am finding repetitive posts of what I’d consider just spam advertising…

Thankfully I live in a country where the “everyday pocket dump” might consist of some loose change and a cigarette lighter; despite having owned various concealable and long arms I’ve never felt the need to carry them or (worse) compromise quality / accuracy to shave off some weight.
    If I needed to carry a gun, a knife and flashlight “everyday” I’d be considering a change of lifestyle… a bit like Evil Roy Slade.

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

Live like you wanna live – Chuck Berry

1. avatar Ray Cowburn says:

Good ole philosophy from Chuck… quite a hero and even has a song on the gold record on Voyager in space, “Johhny B Goode”.
        He also asked Maybelline “why can’t you be true?” and criticized her for “…started back doin’ the things you used to do”, so the largess implied by “live like you wanna live” might be misinterpreted. 😉

cheers…

13. avatar George says:

Given that Olight doesn’t have a step down feature, and a 16340 only has about 550 mAh capacity…It can suddenly leave you in the dark.
    Totally unacceptable!
    I carry a ZebraLight SC64, arguably the best overall edc on the market.
    300 lumens provides more than enough for 95% of my needs for illlumination.

14. avatar That guy says:

I carry a flare gun…. weapon and lights up my surroundings

15. avatar NM says:

I carry a Surefire Stiletto as a task light and part-time headlamp – LOVE that light! I use it all the time.

I also carry a P2X Fury with a Raven clip for tactical use – I am on the company Security team – and I have an X300U on my carry gun.

Until I can push a button and turn on the sun there is no such a thing as having too much light… and for any who may disagree? You’re using it wrong.

16. avatar Jack says:

How many times are you going to post the same pocket dump?

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

Hush!

Don’t encourage them.

17. avatar Jordan Burks says:

Sorry guys! this is my photo. i post on everday carry a lot. I didnt know TTAG would use my photo 3 days in a row! be advised, i did post more photos on Everydaycarry.com so there might be more coming here on TTAG. I’M SORRY!

18. avatar raptor jesus says:

My phone has a flashlight.

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

Does it also have a gun.?

19. avatar Joe says:

Yeah I had one of those mini olights. Difficult to put in /take out of my pocket. Awkward to hold in hand while trying to press the buttons. Upgraded to an m2r warrior – much easier to work with.

Same argument for glock 19 vs 43.

1. avatar Jordan Burks says:

I have a M2T warrior, actually 2 of them. They’re a little big for EDC. i prefer my Olight I3T when i’m not carrying the baton. I also own a Glock19. A little to big for me to EDC, but i do on occasion.

20. avatar Steve says:

On most days I carry a small 125 lumens aaa flashlight. I carry it just so in case. On days i know I will be going some where that will be dark with limited windows (i.e. movie theater) I carry a larger 500 lumens flashlight. It is larger in size but I think its worth it should the need arise.