Walther Announces the New Q5 Match Steel Frame 9mm Pistol

Walther Q5 Match Steel Frame

courtesy mfr

Walther’s Q5 Match optics-ready competition gun is a polymer PPQ platform pistol upgraded for competition shooters. Now Walther’s taken everything that’s in the Q5 Match and put it into a steel frame that adds weight and should make it easier to keep the pistol on target.

Here’s their press release:

(Fort Smith, Ark.) – Walther Arms, Inc. is proud to offer the highest level of Quality and Precision on the market with the Q5 Match Steel frame.

Combining the industry leading PPQ Quick-Defense Trigger, superior accuracy, and unmatched ergonomics found in the popular Q5 Match model, while adding in a high-quality precision-machined frame, the Q5 Match Steel Frame has raised the bar in pistol performance. The pistol comes standard with LPA Fiber Optic front sight, LPA Adjustable rear sight, and optic mounting plates to accommodate most micro red-dot optics available. The Q5 Match Steel frame will initially be available in two models: the standard model with three fifteen-round magazines, and the PRO model with new Walther Performance accessories including a low-profile magwell and aluminum magazine extensions that increase the capacity to 17 rounds.

Walther Q5 Match Steel Frame

courtes mfr

“Walther’s goal was to take our existing high-performance PPQ, the Q5 Match, and push the boundaries of performance further than anything offered on the market,” said Bret Vorhees, Director of Product Development for Walther Arms. “The Q5 Match Steel Frame exceeds all expectations in terms of performance, quality, and attention to detail. This new product line shows what Walther is really capable of, and it’s just the beginning.”

MSRP for the Q5 Match Steel Frame starts at $1,499.00 and are available for purchase immediately.

For more information on the Walther Q5 Match Steel Frame product line, visit https://www.waltherarms.com/handguns/

Specifications:

Caliber: 9mm
Barrel Length: 5 inches
Pull Weight: 5.6 lbs
Capacity: 15 rds, 17 rds
Height: 5.4 inches
Width: 1.3 inches
MSRP: $1499

comments

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

Ok….I’m surprised. Didn’t see a steel frame coming.

Looks cool…..maybe it will be the next striker-fired trend.

I’d really be surprised to see a steel-framed Glock

1. avatar TheUnspoken says:

I saw a picture first and saw the grips and screw and thought wait, how or why would you attach grips to your ppq… Oh wait!

I guess first you do what everyone else is doing (poly striker pistols), then you go back and do what they aren’t. Kinda like Springfield and that hammer fired model.

This looks cool but then it has me wanting them to do a PPQ executive in blued steel or stainless with figured wood grips, drop the cut outs and such, maybe even lose the rail… Stainless trigger instead of blue… a retro pistol!

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

Now stainless frame and barrel with blued furniture…..that’s the ticket.

Getting into Beretta 92 custom territory. Go Walther.

Mayne they will do a steel frame with all their strikers…..maybe.

2. avatar Dave in PTC Georgia says:

Will John Wick buy it?

2. avatar orange pear says:

Actually very interested. Something along the lines of this or a CZ Shadow of some flavor is on my list for 2019.

Does anyone know about aftermarket non-serrated trigger blades for this series? Not a big fan of the slide cuts, but could learn to live with them.

3. avatar The Rookie says:

Dammit, looks like I’m gonna have an expensive 2019…

4. avatar Kman says:

That’s sexy.
    Gave me an inappropriate fizzy feeling.

5. avatar Bandit1 says:

This has been out in the wild for a week or so, I’m sure you can find one online if you want to buy. Really glad to see Walther making some steel frames again. Have a 5” PPQ and was thinking about getting a Q4 TAC, but now I’ll be holding off and crossing my fingers for a Q4 TAC SF. I think there’s a good chance because Walther has hinted at more variarions of the steel frame coming.

6. avatar Clay-in-UT says:

This looks like a CZ 75 and a PPQ Q5 had a love child. Wonder if the 75 grips would work on this

7. avatar VerendusAudeo says:

Now that is interesting. It’s good to see something other than a polymer frame striker fired wonder 9. Well…one out of three ain’t bad…

8. avatar Michael in AK says:

41.6 ounces….empty…

9. avatar Michael Schader says:

They said there was no market for it, but they built it anyway. If these start eating up competitive shooting events like all the reviews seem to believe, Glock and others won’t really have a choice but to climb on-board. Boom. Where once you had a marketless product, you now have choice and competition.

10. avatar Kendahl says:

Interesting. All the virtues of a ported, full size, steel 1911 with a larger magazine capacity. I notice the front strap is straight instead having finger grooves like the PPQ. They were one of the reasons I bought the M&P equivalent instead of a Q5.

11. avatar GS650G says:

Now that’s a high tech gun that delivers. Easily worth the money for that race fun.

12. avatar Scott C says:

NOOOOO!!!!! My walther collection WAS complete lol. This thing looks good, gonna have to rearrange my safe.

13. avatar Sdr says:

Looks heavy as lead

1. avatar GS650G says:

Yup and that’s a feature

14. avatar Ronald Hunter says:

Heavy pistols imho shoot better and have less felt recoil. I was at the range today shooting my 2 RIA 1911s in 45acp and 10mm. I also shot my s&w 1006 in 10mm. I finished the day with my s&w 28 and 17. All steel. I have 2 CZ75 also steel frames. I do have others that I carry in the summer. I often pocket carry a Kimber micro 9. If I can conceal with a shirt or coat I wear my grown up pistols with a belt and sometimes suspenders. As an example my 10mm S&W has less felt recoil than my Kimber micro 9.

15. avatar Brandon says:

My PPQ m4 with RMR is my favorite gun I own… i’m sure this one will just be incredible.

16. avatar TruthTellers says:

Since it’s built and advertised for matches, I’ll let the steel frame pistol craze slide here.

17. avatar B.D. says:

Ok, that is awesome. Does it come in .40? 😉

But seriously, You provided a link to get more info, but there is nothing about the Q5 at all in their line-up.

When is it supposed to come out, and when can I buy one? I was going to contact customer service but they require WAAAAAAY too much info. They want my phone number, address, etc etc… So how about a follow up article with some better info ASAP.

Never owned a Walther or a steel frame, but I am in the market and was really hoping to avoid a couple g’s towards an STI 2011 for OWB actual EDC. If the price is right for the Walther, I’ll pull that trigger in a heart beat. Not a fan of the 9mm tho…. not even a little. Same with the STI. I want more rounds than a traditional 1911 (without needing an extended base plate) and a steel frame in .40. Any suggestions would be great.

1. avatar Kahlil says:

Sounds like the Beretta 96, CZ-75, or a Jericho might fit your needs with metal framed double stack capacity. Jericho might have stopped importing/making the .40 models though, its been a few years since I owned one. The CZs fit like a glove and the open slide of the Beretta add to the reliability.

2. avatar mdbostnmt says:

You don’t have to fill out the demographic info. Just leave it blank.

1. avatar mdbostnmt says:

And it’s available now.

18. avatar pwrserge says:

I still want a revamped extended slide P99 in 9mm and .45 ACP. Sticker fired DA/SA pistols are difficult to find.

1. avatar Bcb says:

A steel long slide p99 would be the sweet business!

19. avatar kahlil says:

Like the move away from plastic, but it isn’t the first steel striker fired.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

I think that distinction belongs to the Borschardt C-93 pistol, which was re-spun into the Luger.

20. avatar Joemoma says:

Considering my LGD can sell CZ shadow 2s as fast as he gets them in this is a really good idea

What’s old is new again

21. avatar Anonymous says:

Needs LED light strips

22. avatar Ginder12 says:

Alabama Arsenal did an excellent review of the polymer Q5. Great gun.

23. avatar Jay says:

If I can get a threaded barrel for it I’ll buy it without a doubt. The first gun I ever bought was a PPQ M2 Navy and I love it, the best polymer 9mm host I’ve ever tried. I bet the steel frame version would be even better if I can get it threaded.

1. avatar mdbostnmt says:

Parts are interchangeable between the polymer and steel. So, yes, if a threaded barrel is available for the 5″ gun, it will work in this.

24. avatar Anon in Ct says:

Wow. I don’t compete, but I still want one.

The poly Q5 is already insanely accurate with a fantastic stock trigger.

25. avatar mdbostnmt says:

$500,000 of prize money to win competitions this year. Will you guys let go of those Glocks now? LOL.

1. avatar Guest says:

Our guns don’t have enough to entice you away, so here’s some money.

26. avatar little horn says:

hmm pretty cool

27. avatar Anon in Ct says:

My usual online place is selling it at almost MSRP. Ouch.

28. avatar Kahlil says: