[VIDEO] Maintain Your Firing Range or Burn, Baby, Burn

Shooting Range Flash Fire

Bigstock

This is why good gun range management and maintenance is so important, boys and girls. Unless you enjoy flash fires, of course. Based on the officers’ uniforms, it appears this took place in the city of Aracaju in Brazil.

Take a look (the action starts at about 1:10):

It’s hard to tell what that mat in front of the shooting positions is for…maybe someone’s bright idea for making it easier to pick up brass.

Now ask yourself this question: how well run is my favorite range?

H/T Ed Head

comments

1. avatar strych9 says:

I don’t think that’s a mat. If you watch carefully the fire starts below the floor and quickly moves up through what appears to be a poorly made wooden floor.

Seems like there’s a “catch” below the shooting positions that has a wooden cover. Said cover allows access downrange without people having to jump over whatever opening is below the cover. Something flammable built up in the catch and is ignited by the guy shooting closest to the camera.

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the bull, get the horns" PR says:

It looked to me like unburnt powder build up on that mat that started it.

Did you see how *fast* that far wall caught fire? It looked like they were using pieces of ‘egg crate’ packing foam (Kinda like what are in ‘Pelican’ cases) as sound absorbent, and it burned like the velcro in the Apollo 1 capsule fire. That’s what was on the walls of that nightclub that burned – ‘The Station’ nightclub fire about 20 years back that killed about 100 people, with the speed of the fire propagation…

1. avatar strych9 says:

I agree that it’s unburnt powder because I can’t imagine what else it might be.

Because of the way the light from the fire looks at 1:27-28 it still looks to me like the fire starts below some sort of wooden flooring type thing rather than a mat.

Regardless, this is a really stupid way to have this kind of problem.

1. avatar anonymous says:

That’s where they kept their powder stores. LOL

And maybe a little TNT too. And gas cans. Lots of gas cans.

2. avatar Hippi says:

Wtf are they shooting dragons breath?

1. avatar Jeremy D. says:

There’s definitely a distinct lack of recoil for a 12 gauge…

1. avatar Anymouse says:

Might be less lethal rounds, like bean bags or batons.

2. avatar Geoff "Mess with the bull, get the horns" PR says:

The ‘Dragon’s Breath’ has slivers of magnesium in it that burn with a *brilliant* white flame. I agree with the ‘bean-bag’ round theory…

3. avatar Jeremy D. says:

The air in there…is there no ventilation? It looks like they should be wearing respirators

4. avatar Gilbert says:

Non-recoiling shotguns ?
    Seriously, that is scary.
    Not many people realize how much non-burned powder hits the floor.
    And on a heavily used range it can add up.

5. avatar neiowa says:

One more reason to force broads to stop wearing moronic flipflops

1. avatar ron says:

“BROADS”? WTF, who are you, a neanderthal? what have flip flops got to do with anything? “BROADS”? FOOL,

6. avatar Nanashi says:

The scariest thing is the cops are still alive till the camera cuts out entirely.

7. Will TTAG post an update on the aftermath? Did everyone survive? What was the cause? This is truly a learning experience. Thanks

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the bull, get the horns" PR says:

Towards the end of the video, you can see no one is still in there…

1. avatar Pete says:

After the initial flash you can see them, but after the second flash the area appears to be clear, hopefully just the lingering smell of burnt hair.

8. avatar Lance says:

Hm. Times like this I’m glad modern gunpowder burns slow in the open. It gave those folks a few precious seconds to step away from their lanes. Also, whats up with the ventilation? Looks smoky af.

I’m sure if I worked at a range, I would have no problem working over to sweep the floor after seeing this.

9. avatar Red in CO says:

This video (among a ton of other factors) makes me SO GLAD I live in a rural area and have an excellent outdoor range I can go to

Not everybody has eyes on.
    ???

11. avatar daveinwyo says:

Agree with Red. 1000s of acers of open “range”. We do have a very nice out door county range free to seniors and vets, open 24/7. (18 below zero now) When I lived in Or. the county range had berms on the sides made of dumped sawdust from the local mills. One summer my NG unit was qual. firing. We noticed the west side berm was smoking, about 20 mins. latter it burst into flame. Local FD determined spontaneous combustion.

12. avatar TX223 says:

The Tulsa OK shooting range burnt down decades ago. This is why ranges have hard floors and drains. The proper maintenance is to wash down every night after use.

1. avatar Badger9773 says:

WRONG. You do not wash a range down. You vacuum and dispose of the lead dust properly. Water + lead dust = bad.

13. avatar Anonymous says:

The walls are lined with “ready to burst into flames” plastic foam. Never seen anything like it. What was under that rubber mat? Wet flammable rubber cement that never cured out? Sticky petroleum byproducts? Crazy.

1. avatar anonymous says:

They must have had 4 for 5 gas cans out on there on the lane too!

LOL. I busted out laughing at 1:55 into the video when the camera burst into flames as well. It’s just so ridiculous, it’s comical.

14. avatar anonymous says:

Maybe they used gun powder as a absorbent for oil spills on the floor? LOL

Then threw a flammable rubber mat on top of oily gun powder? LOL Maybe… before they lined the walls with flammable foam? Maybe they sprayed the camera with a spray on wax/polish compound so it would better burst into flames when the room did indeed explode. LOL

15. avatar bontai Joe says:

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!! I was getting a little aggravated at the guy with the baseball cap on having to constantly touch, prod, grab at all the guys on the firing line, when suddenly holy hell broke loose. I’m thinking of an indoor private club range I used to shoot at in the 1980’s that had so much powder on the floor, you could smell it when you walked in. I have never seen that much flame and sparks come out of a gun except in a Hollywood movie