Dick’s CEO Ed Stack: 62 Employees Quit Over Our Gun Control Policies

dick's gun control employees quit

Dick’s Sporting Goods CEO Ed Stack courtesy bizjournals.com

This from bizjournals.com:

According to CEO Ed Stack, 62 employees quit working for Dick’s Sporting Goods over the retailer’s decision to stop selling assault-style weapons, announced in February.

No biggie, as far as Stack is concerned. You have to break a few eggs if you want to make an anti-gun rights omelet.

We anticipated that there would be some people that would leave. We’ve got 40,0000 employees, and 2,500, or 2,6000 (sic) people working at our corporate headquarters,” said Stack, of the Findlay-based company. “We’re a cross-section of the country. We knew people would be upset.”

Of course, employees quitting wasn’t the only reaction to the anti-gun policies Dick’s Sporting Goods put in place (dropping scary black rifles, raising the long gun sales age to 21 and actively lobbying for more gun control laws) at their stores after Parkland. As we mentioned last month, the company’s same store sales took a hit, too. And, given the backlash by gun owners, the company is experimenting with dropping all of their gun, ammo and hunting gear.

While the move hadn’t affected the company’s stock price in the intervening months, the recent admission that the anti-gun policies had, in fact, hurt same store sales was finally reflected in the markets.

The company’s stock fell more than four percent due to J.P. Morgan’s projections for the sporting goods store.

“Looking forward, gross margin-driven upside appears less probable given 3Q’s performance, changing comparisons, and rising inventory levels,” said analyst Christopher Horvers. “The latter appears to be a theme across retail (which can be risky in the seasonal apparel world).”

Although the company had reported better-than-expected sales for the third quarter, top executives still admitted that their growth was impacted by the decision during a call with investors.

Jim Oleske, a professor at Lewis and Clark Law School specializing in anti-discrimination law, said people settle for a variety of reasons, but he thinks Watson had a good case against Dick’s.

“From the text of the statute, it looked like a very strong case,” said Oleske.

Oleske said it’s unusual that Dick’s hasn’t changed its policy as a result of the settlement.

“Any other individual could go into any one of their stores, attempt to make a purchase and if they’re turned away bring a lawsuit,” he said. “The question is, why is Dick’s settling?”

Hmm. It’s a mystery

When your primary goals are corporate virtue signaling and currying favor with politically like-minded activists and the media rather than serving your customers and maximizing return, this is the result. You might think the company’s shareholders would have something to say about that.

Know any 18-20-year-olds who want to try to buy a gun?

comments

1. avatar Gasmd says:

Might want to review the place of the commas in the employee numbers.

1. That’s as it appears in the original article. (sic) added.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

BWAHAhaha.

2. avatar NYC redneck says:

You could put a subject in your sentence.

2. avatar L says:

I hope I read an article two years from now of Dick’s going out of business.

1. I agree 100%. The time of this odious damnable “LBJ/KGB” style age discrimination where firearms are
      concerned needs to stop, period! Unfortunately the anti-gun socialist Bolshevik legislators in Salem, Oregon need to get this message too! Fortunately Klamath, Douglas, and Lake County, Oregon voters united in
      solidarity during the recent Tuesday, November 8th, 2018 General Election by sending (hopefully)
      a powerful message to these socialist elitists of high treason. This is the local Second Amendment Protection ballot measure levy. The message being this: we the voters of Southern Oregon find your deceitful damnable odious anti-gun legislation reprehensible! Thus we collectively “choose to resist” and rightly resent your oppressive discriminatory anti-gun nanny state policies! Too, Dicks Sporting Goods
      and their rotten upper corporate management are rightly getting what they deserve. Need I say more?

James A. Farmer
      Merrill, Oregon (Klamath County)
      Staunch supporter of the State of Jefferson

1. Your comment is spot on. If Dick’s does not sell guns of all persuasions they are nothing more than a bait and tackle store. Thank you for speaking out. We need more people spreading our message. Not intimidated by the far left millionaires.

Larry J. Gauthier

1. avatar James A. Farmer says:

Thanks Larry for your support and understanding. The saying “silence is consent”
          speaks volumes. Some may consider my online comments harsh. So be it. It
          seems nobody gives a damn or cares until it bites them on their ass! Perhaps this
          is just one of many reasons I tend to embrace the .38 caliber revolver. A .38 historically
          defines equality between the sexes, is affordable for many, is cheap life insurance,
          protection, and security, and for the lone woman (single or married) can be her best
          friend. And this is equally true whether living alone by herself, stranded and broken
          down alone and isolated in some remote region (a dead cell phone zone comes to
          mind), or whether she is traveling alone on the road. My point is this: many uppity
          wealthy anti-gun elitists have armed guards protecting their asses 24/7, and often
          at tax payer’s expense. Yet these same elitists promote, if not finance, an anti-gun
          civilian disarmament agenda: “don’t do as I do, do as I Say!” If this isn’t class warfare,
          then what is it?

2. avatar F says:

Typical anti America, anti business, fascist.

1. avatar L says:

I hate businesses that are anti-freedom. That is the opposite of anti-America.

2. avatar Shallnot BeInfringed says:

F: U wouldn’t even know a fascist if one bit you in the ass…

So let me get this straight – wishing for an anti-American corporation to go out of business is somehow anti-American? Is that what passes for logic in your little leftist corner of the world?

1. avatar James A. "Jim" Farmer says:

Lets set the record straight about Communism, Nazism, and Fascism. All three are
          versions of totalitarian National Socialism. Learn more by accessing online the 30
          minute JBS video: “Overview of America” courtesy of The John Birch Society in
          Appleton, Wisconsin at http://www.jbs.org and wwwthenewamerican.com, respectively.

3. avatar LarryinTX says:

He even looks like a dicks.

4. avatar don says:

First time I have seen his photo. He looks like a dick.

5. avatar ColoradoKid says:

But..but…his decision to stop selling ar-style rifles has saved countless lives! COUNTLESS!!

1. avatar Ronald Hunter says:

How many countless lives has he saved? You can’t answer that because long guns which include all rifles commit 3% of ALL gun crimes which include suicides. Dicks haven’t saved anyone they have just let money spent by law abidding citizens go to the competition. I never shopped there much and now shop there never. If I do again it will be when they are clearing out their gun and ammo inventory or their going out of business sell.

1. avatar Funny guy with a bunch of spare time says:

I tip a hobo with the filthiest feet in the county and tell him/her to go try a bunch of tennis shoes at Dicks

2. avatar Mike B in WI says:

RH, I think you should re-read your comment. It is factually inaccurate in that ZERO long guns have committed any crimes. I would admit (without verification on my part) that perhaps 3% of “gun crimes” are committed by PEOPLE USING LONG GUNS, but not by the guns themselves.

Please don’t be offended as this is offered as a gentile reminder that language matters, and anti-gun folks love to blame the inanimate object rather than the person.

2. avatar J Gibbons says:

Countless as in zero. You can’t count it.

1. avatar ColoradoKid says:

Bingo!

3. avatar EnDangerEd says:

Because ZERO isn’t really a “counting number”, they usually start at ONE.

6. avatar Dave says:

“Know any 18-20-year-olds who want to try to buy a gun?”

There would be nothing to buy if the store (I won’t mention their name) does not have any for sale. Therefore, no basis for a suit.

1. avatar Anymouse says:

“Know any 18-20-year-olds who want to try to buy a gun?”
      The real question is, “Know any 18-20-year-old Oregonians who wants some money?” If they settled one suit and don’t change their policy, they either will settle the rest or the could face the expense of hundreds of trials they will lose. The same goes for Wal-Mart.

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

If you aren’t going to name the store, can you at least give us a hint? Like, do they employ a bunch of dicks?

7. avatar former water walker says:

Dick’s stop selling AR’S in NW Indiana in 2013-right after Newtown. Screwed at least one employee who already ordered one…Dicks sux.

1. avatar Vicrattlehead says:

The up side is that AR’s practically pop out of vending machines everywhere else in Indiana so Dicks is definitely not the only option.

2. avatar Sian says:

They also screwed several manufacturers with that move, refusing to take thousands of rifles that they had ordered for the big sale.

8. avatar Long thin D says:

If you intended to buy any firearm at Dicks, you deserve to get the D in your bottom

9. avatar foo bar says:

Let’s stop calling it “gun rights” and start calling it what it really is…. CIVIL rights.

1. avatar I love dicks says:

Negative. Gun privilege. It shouldn’t even be in the Bill of Rights to begin with.

1. avatar Defens says:

Correction. It shouldn’t NEED to be in the BOR, as the right to defend oneself or one’s clan/tribe/country is a natural right. But the writers included it just so there would be no mistake that RKBA is a specific, enumerated right.

2. avatar tdiinva says:

I bet you do.

3. avatar Leighton Cavendish says:

I think your screen name says it all… LOL

4. avatar EnDangerEd says:

Neither should free speech so SHUT UP…. Might as well toss the rest and go back to being a Colony. IDIOT.

5. avatar Scoutino says:

Who the fuck are you to decide what should or shouldn’t be in Bill of Rights?

10. avatar Eustach says:

I like to hang around the yoga pants and sports bra section

11. avatar Ian in Transit says:

Proof that Dicks can suck themselves! Does this mean I have been lying to my wife all these years?

1. avatar Mark N. says:

I guess that depends on whether or not you are a dick….If you are, well then you have been lying. Just sayin.’

12. avatar Jeff says:

NO ONE CARES! Don’t SHOP at ANY DICK’s Stores. Everything they sell is WAY overpriced and can be had a whole lot cheaper on AMAZON!

People stop buying the overpriced Junk and they will be gone, just like Sears!

1. avatar QA says:

Amazon is not really pro 2A either

1. avatar EnDangerEd says:

That’s why I really enjoy using my Amazon card to buy guns and ammo and claim the “cash-back” rebate every time. I know they don’t check (yet) but ya gotta take your fun where ya find it! Makes me happy just to know they are subsidizing my 2A Rights…

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

I don’t need a business to be pro- or anti- anything. I need them to do their damn job and otherwise leave me alone. If they decided to cease carrying firearms because it was not a profitable use of their retail space, I would not care a whit. But when they announce to the world that their very deliberate intention is to violate the Constitution and individuals’ rights, then their shareholders should realize some pain for employing such dicks.

2. avatar IowaMarine68 says:

I agree, I have been in their store 2 times and never again. I will boycott Dick’s Sporting Goods.

1. avatar Sian says:

If you were paying attention you would have been boycotting them since at least 2013.

3. avatar PS says:

If you want to avoid Dick’s, you should also avoid Field and Stream stores (not associated with the magazine). It is just another incarnation which is owned and controlled by Dick’s.

Amazon is not an alternative to anything. Jeff Bezos is one of the biggest gun control freaks in the country. And he is much more scary than most. He is buying up media companies (Washington Post for example) and using them as propaganda machines for his views.

13. avatar Richard C. Giddings says:

I sold firearms and paraphernalia to Dick Stack on Court St. in Binghamton, NY, back in the late 60s, and early 70s. He was a class act, and an astute “merchandiser”. A pleasure to do business with. The children who inherit a successful business do not necessarily have the same talents.

1. avatar Geoff "Kill a Commie for Mommy" PR says:

” The children who inherit a successful business do not necessarily have the same talents.”

That’s a common problem, the world over.

It gutted one of the very finest audio companies in Japan, Nakamichi…

Ed Stack didn’t actually “inherit” the business. Instead, he bought his father out. I get the impression that there was a lot of, uh, tension between the Stacks.

1. avatar Richard C. Giddings says:

I was not aware of the “buy out”. I have not been in a Dick’s Sporting Goods Store since about the mid 80s. I am old, and like to buy cheap, I learned not to go through the doors! Still, I can’t fathom how they believe they will survive without selling “sporting goods”????

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

What are you telling me? Did it turn out that Dick’s son, Ed, was also a Dick?

14. avatar Pete says:

I suspect that they have lost quit a bit more than 63 CUSTOMERS, and that is what counts.

15. avatar JS says:

So a sporting goods company that doesnt sell hunting, fishing or camping equipment. Hmm, I believe there have been several national chains that tried that model and closed their doors. I feel for the employees this will disrupt but could nto care one bit for Dicks leaving this planet.

16. avatar james says:

Why is Mr. Stack pictured with his Cheshire Cat Grin, because he has private armed security teams protecting him and his family.

1. avatar Old Fart says:

Looks like a shit eating grin to me. Thats what he would have to eat to get me BACK in his store. Yes, I use to shop there, but only for sales. No more. I would walk back in, go to gun counter, and ask about an AR. Then me, myself, and my money would walk.

17. avatar james says:

DIck’s is down sizing their stores, click on my name to see a photo of the new concept.
    You will not be disappointed.

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the bull, get the horns" PR says:

“…click on my name to see a photo of the new concept.
      You will not be disappointed.”

I was disappointed.

“You must be logged in to do that.”

No, I am *not* creating an account just to see that…

2. avatar Sian says:

My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined.

3. avatar LarryinTX says:

You guys are no fun. Really, you didn’t get a kick out of “Carolina Smoke and Guns”?

1. avatar Scoutino says:

Didn’t see any. I’ve got “You must be logged in to do that.” Disappointed doesn’t even start to describe what I am right now.

18. avatar Danny Mann says:

Moral of the story: Dont buy DICK from Dick’s!!!

19. avatar Jimmy says:

Stupid is as Stupid does.

20. avatar Wally1 says:

I watched an interview with Ed Stack on this issue, it was broadcasted on C-Span this morning. This guy is a progressive communist. I doubt he ever read the constitution. I would call him a total douch bag, but that would be an insult to douch bags, as they actually have a function.

His concern for youth safety is overshadowed only by his attempt to appeal to under educated inter city millennial social justice warriors to shop at his stores. You reap what you sow…

21. avatar Alan says:

I was never a significant customer of Dick’s. Given their antics, there is likely nothing they have to offer that I would consider purchasing. That said, I wonder as to the following. While I have long made my preferences or lack thereof known, I wonder as to how many potential customers of Dick’s have simply, and without public notice, crossed them off their lists of places to possibly shop.

22. avatar FedUp says:

“Oh, and yesterday the company settled an age discrimination suit brought against them by a 20-year-old Oregon man to whom Dick’s refused to sell a gun after the new policy was put in place. Terms weren’t disclosed.”

And why do plaintiffs agree to Non Disclosure Agreements in the first place?
    They abuse your rights, you sue them, and then you agree to drop the suit AND give up your rights to free speech?

Why, yes, I’ll settle my suit for $50k plus attorney fees.
    Oh, you want a NDA?
    That’ll cost you another $50k, or I’ll see you in court.

23. avatar Joe says:

FIRST OFF, Mr. Farmer needs to stay in Oregon, and he better not come to TEXAS!!!! Also I will never set foot in any dicks sporting goods store, as far as I’m concern, dicks has no sporting goods!!!

1. avatar James A. "Jim" Farmer says:

Better not come to Texas, why? As long as we remain a free constitutional republic,
      though certainly not as free vs generations ago, I have the right to travel to any
      state in the Union. However I do agree with you in boycotting Dicks Sporting Goods.

24. avatar Neil says:

Dicks opened a store here in our North Florida town with great fanfare just a few months before the gun changes Announcement. It has not done well at any time but now that all the local gun guys have quit this overpriced want a be Sports store it has done ever worse. At no tie now do you see more than a hand full of cars out front. Bye bye Dickie

25. avatar Jay says:

Dick’s seem to be doing well In Ohio despite their politically motivated anti gun stance. They have nice merchandise. Perhaps their data shows that they don’t need hunters, shooting sports aficionados (that’s me), or the 2A Americans business. Maybe they believe that runners, non-gun sports, kids sports, apparel, camping equipment, fishing stuff, etc will support their business model. Good luck with that! I’m into all that stuff and as a gun supporter I’ll take my business elsewhere in the future. I did recently purchase an entry level 12 ga o/u at their Fairlawn, OH store. Maybe I shouldn’t have but the price was very right versus all other retail options. Henceforth I’ll shop with my convictions!

26. avatar possum says:

Our President Trump has/had 15℅ shares in Dicks. I’m sure he still does, it just got shuffled around…
    . Nah, I just made that up, lol, he might tho if it’s a fortune 500 company.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

I think he mostly invests in his own company and real estate. I doubt “fortune 500” means squat to him.

27. avatar Snake Plisskin says:

The current DICKs in our town here in the Deep South looks like a ghost town in the parking lot; even on weekends. I hope it shutters itself soon. ‘Stupid is as Stupid does.”

28. avatar Felixd says:

Boycott Dick’s! Both the store and the one’s who support the store.

29. avatar Geoff says:

Besides Oregon, 10 other States have a similar age discrimination Law.
    Can’t name them offhand. Internet search should tell you.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

State or federal law is a completely different thing than a company just making up its own laws.

30. avatar PosseMan says:

“The question is, why is Dick’s settling?”

No, the question is, if Watson had a such good case against Dick’s, why did Watson accept the settlement offer?

31. avatar Marty says:

This discussion can go on and on but there’s a whole lot of people, me included, that wouldn’t set foot in a Dick’s Sporting Goods store for any reason. When a Dick’s opened up in my hometown I went to check them out, specifically their gun/ammo/accessories section. They must think we’re stupid with the prices they charge. Example: a Ruger 1022 Carbine (just a standard model) had a price of $249.99. 2 LGSs had them for $189.95 and $195.99. I just laughed and walked over to look at Federal 124 grain 9MM ammo and they wanted $14.95 for 50 rounds. .223/5.56 forget it! I headed for the door and didn’t let it hit me in the a$$ on the way out. My 2 LGSs sell that same ammo every day for $3 less per 50 rounds. Besides, I’ve done business with both these guys for years and count them as friends. Why would I want to turn my back on my friends and do business with dicks like Dicks? Why would any of you want to?

32. avatar sound awake says:

they quit before they got laid off probably
    dicks is going down

33. avatar Jon David says:

Dick’s
    Walmart
    And
    Meijer
    Can suck a dick. Most folks don’t even know. Walmart an Meijer are doing the same thing that Dick’s is doing.