When You Come to Regret Selling Off That Special Gun…Post Your Story Here

When Your Come to Regret Selling Off That Special Gun...Post Your Story Here

We’ve all been there. Something’s taking up space in the back of the safe that hasn’t been fired in a long time. It’s just collecting dust and could be used as trade fodder or liquidated for something better. Or you need the cash to fix the car or pay the kid’s tuition bill.

But in the end, no matter how little use it got, long after we’ve sold it or traded it…it’s inevitable always regret selling that gun. I’ve gone through this angst a number of times and I know you, dear reader probably have, too. So today, let’s look at what I’ve stupidly let go.

When Your Come to Regret Selling Off That Special Gun...Post Your Story Here

The first two items are a Norinco SKS carbine and an Egyptian Rasheed carbine, both in 7.62x39mm. The Norinco is your typical garden variety Chinese production SKS. Made at the Number /26\ Arsenal factory in 1968, it was one of the rarer Navy Arms imported guns.

The gun was marketed as a “Cowboy Companion” and I actually had the correct scope for it. I sold mine off along with a batch of Mosin-Nagants to a local Miami shop for cash. I was downsizing at the time and didn’t think much about SKS carbines as actually gaining value at some point. Boy was I wrong.

When Your Come to Regret Selling Off That Special Gun...Post Your Story Here

Finding the original scopes and mounts for these rifles is nearly impossible now due to the fact that they haven’t been imported into the US since the mid 1990s and that they were factory modifications in China for Navy Arms’ specific contract. But like an idiot…poof it disappeared from my collection.

When Your Come to Regret Selling Off That Special Gun...Post Your Story Here

The Egyptian Rasheed is another rare gun that I stupidly let go. The Rasheed was designed by the Swedish engineer Erik Eklund, who based it on his previous Hakim Rifle (8×57mm Mauser cartridge), which was itself a slightly modified version of the Swedish Ag m/42 rifle (6.5×55mm Swedish cartridge).

Only about 8,000 were made and most were destroyed as a result of the Six Day War with Israel in 1967. About 1,500 of them were imported into the US by Century Arms. Mine had a broken trigger connector that I had fixed by having a new one made. This was a common issue that plagued the Rasheeds, but I got mine to run like a top. I sold it due to an acute case of stupidity because I hadn’t shot it for a while.

Sadly, handguns aren’t immune to bouts of idiocy either. Over the years I’ve let some nicer guns go for reasons I now look at as clear cases of daftness.

When Your Come to Regret Selling Off That Special Gun...Post Your Story Here

This one was my Smith & Wesson Model 5926. A rare third generation production gun that only was made for a two-year period. All stainless like its cousins, the 5926 was different because it had a SIG-style de-cocker instead of the slide-mounted safety.

Very few were made and one of the largest buyers of them was actually Israel. The bottom gun is a mint condition Smith & Wesson Model 59. The first of America’s wonder nines, this one was made in 1971 and was a jewel of a pistol. I had the original box, grips, accessories…all of it.

When Your Come to Regret Selling Off That Special Gun...Post Your Story Here

Both were sold because at the time, I felt like I was done collecting S&W autos and wanted to get more into black powder shooting. Oh, how that proved to be fruitless )for the most part). My black powder guns sit forever in the back of my safe since I hate cleaning them. And oh, what I’d do to get those two back.

I’m not the type of person who believes in never selling any gun. But I do believe that sometimes we have a lack of foresight and/or common sense and sell off the ones we really shouldn’t.

Some guns are good barter bait like a run-of-the-mill Gen 4 GLOCK or a modern lawyer locked S&W 642 J-Frame. But sometimes we get brain-addled and do stupid things we later come to regret.

I know I’m not the only one. Post your tales of woe in the comment section below.

comments

1. avatar cg123m says:

No Sh*t there I was. 5 years ago my good friend was getting out of the Army. He had a wife and 3 kids and was moving home to the expensive DC Suburbs. He had an FN FNS9 and a Kimber Crimson Carry 2 . Initially he was only selling the FNS9, which picked up at a decent deal, but as he got closer to getting out of the Army, he was getting more desperate to sell the Kimber. Out of frustration, he resorted to pawning it off, and got a quote for 400$. He shared this with me and I made him a deal. I promised to buy it for 450, and if/when he got the money to buy it back, I would give it back to him. I love him to death, but never thought he’d actually come up with the cash. I loved that gun. It shot like a laser, worked smooth and efficient every time I shot it. It looks phenomenal on anyone’s hip and I carried it constantly. It was a perfect 1911. One day, years later, I told him I would be passing through his area and he shared that he could buy the gun back. My word is my bond, and against the insistence of literally every human being I knew, I sold it back to him for 450$.

3 years later, another friend offered to sell me the same model Kimber for 800$. The nostalgia I had for that gun made it impossible to say no, and once again I got a stellar deal on a 1200$ hand gun.

There was no deal this time. I am keeping it forever

1. avatar Michael Buley says:

Good for you for of course honoring your word. It was never a choice. The years didn’t matter.

You make me think about getting a Kimber Crimson Carry 2 after reading your note!

2. avatar Eirik says:

I did something similar for a friend, she was needing money for a divorce attorney, I “bought” her dads gun collection for $10000.00 ….turned out well for me as I got my $10 grand back and her and I have now been together for 5 years now.

Never knew her dad as he died 10 or so years ago, but I’m sure him and I would have been good friends, just by what was in his collection

2. avatar CZ Rider says:

Not too long ago, I decided to replace a Glock 30 that I had traded away a few years ago when I loved on the other side of the state. I came across someone selling one used, picked it up, and I’ll be damned if it wasn’t the very same one. If ever there was a sign that something is just meant to be in your safe, I figure that was it.

3. avatar MLee says:

Colt Python .357 Nickle. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu–! Galil ARM .308 Double Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu–

1. avatar Bearpaw says:

My pre 64 Winchester 94 30-30. My first hunting rifle.

Who needs an old lever action anyway. Not with all the cool new guns. Plus I couldn’t easily mount a scope on it.

Dopeslap.

1. avatar MLee says:

My long time friend from high school, who also is my age, 61 isn’t healthy and has idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. It”s a terminal 100% of the time. He has a pre-64 Winchester 30/30 It’s pretty nice also. Me being the gun nut..compared to someone who isn’t, cleaned it all up and lubed it for him. He got it from his dad who bought it after Nam. I think when I looked it was a 61. He has no children or anyone to pass it on to, so I’m pretty sure when the time comes…it’s mine.

2. avatar Todd says:

A few years ago, just before Marlin crashed and burned, I was in a LGS holding a beautiful 1894CSS. Had the $ in my pocket but I decided to sleep on it. Went back the next day and it was gone.

4. avatar N says:

So you regret selling them because they went up in value after you sold them? Not because you actually cared about the guns and missed them?

I am kinda disappointed in this article, I was hoping it was about how someone had to sell a family heirloom because they needed the money but now wishes they could pass it on to their kid.

The only guns I have sold was a ar-15 pistol that I got in a trade and had little intention of keeping, and a remington 870 6 shot that I didn’t want anymore once I realized that I couldn’t buy any bird or clay shooting barrels for it.

5. avatar GS650G says:

Benelli nova. Sold for half what I paid to buy a trap gun. Then I got a 870 which was a piece of shit compared to the benelli.

6. avatar DrewN says:

I inherited and then sold a first year Python that my grandfather’s safari partner had gifted to him. He wasn’t a handgunner at all, and never fired it. “Too nice for me” he always said. Well, it certainly was too nice for a broke 20-something (plus this was the 80’s,shooter Pythons were everywhere for $350). I did end up parlaying that gun into more guns + a bike, but now that I’m older and more secure I wish I still had it. I’ll bet it’s still never been fired or turned though and just sits in the box.

1. avatar DrewN says:

Oh, my wife says I left out the best part: At the same time I also inherited a Babe Ruth signed ball which I still have. But as she says”You can’t play with that either, genius.”

1. avatar VicRattlehead says:

Probably for the best, you’d just knock it over a fence where a dog named Hercules would chew/slobber it to worthlessness.

7. avatar Marty says:

I can’t tell you how many guns I traded off over the years, and I miss every one of them My nickel plated Model 39 which shot like a dream, A model 59, a couple of 2 1/2 ” Round Butt Model 19’s, a Model 700 BDL in 300 mag……..The list can go on for quite some time. There was a time in my younger years I wasn’t satisfied with my weapons and always traded them off for what I thought was better. Thinking of what I had, makes me sick and what I’d give to get most of them back today.

1. avatar DrewN says:

Yeah, modern revolvers just don’t have the cool factor, and I have a hard time getting excited over duty guns since I don’t carry for work anymore. Although I probably would have ripped your arm off for a G19 when I did. I carried some really,really crappy guns in my time.

8. avatar DrDKW says:

I have more regrets about not buying a bunch of $60 Swedish Mausers and $80 SKSs years ago.
    As for selling, about 20 years ago, friend wanted an inexpensive pistol for his wife, so I sold him a non-beautiful S&W model 10 for $110 – about what I had in it.
    Had I kept it, it could’ve made a good trunk/glove-box gun, but now they’re typically over 3 times as much.
    Still, it wasn’t a family heirloom and I wasn’t emotionally attached to it.
    Not selling any of my ‘good stuff’!

9. avatar jwm says:

Colt Detective special. Colt 1903. Walther pp. Colt Trooper .357. Ruger Service Six .357. Colt Woodsman .22. Hi Standard .380. Webley Mark 4. Russian SKS. Every Lee Enfield I’ve ever owned except the India made 7.62’s. 94 Winchester. 94-22 Winchester.

Crap, the list is endless.

10. avatar Spectre_USAF says:

I got orders to return to RAF Bentwaters, UK, so I had to sell the only long-rifles I had at the time, an actual Colt AR-15, and my beloved M1 Garand. I needed cash for the move, and did not want to store them for the requisite 3 year tour, so I trundled them a couple blocks up to good ol’ G&M Sportsman’s Den in Citrus Heights, CA.

Sold `em both for a song, and ended up getting the orders cancelled within 2 weeks of leaving, due to the base appearing on the BRAC list, as every base I was stationed at for my 14 fun-filled year ended up doing.

I still miss `em…

11. avatar AlanInFL says:

I shouldn’t had sold my preban Benelli M1 super 90 ghost ring setup that has HK USA import markings.

1. avatar GS650G says:

I still have my benelli M1 90…….

12. avatar dragos111 says:

My brother sold a gun, and regretted it, but for a totally different reason. He had a Rossi Coach gun, 12 ga. side by side with external hammers. It was just like what you typically see a bartender in an old Western movie pull out. Anyway, it was terrible to shoot. Pull the trigger and it would tear up your hands.

So, he sold it.

Six months later some gentlemen from the ATF were knocking on his door asking to see the gun. Of course, he could not produce it. Apparently the gun had been used in a Mexican jail break. On the way back into the USA, it was tossed off the bridge over the Rio Grande and landed barrel down in the mud, where it was found by the Federales. Hence the visit from the good folks at the ATF.

Lucky for him, he was able to produce the sales receipt he got when he sold it to a gun dealer! Guess the moral of the story is, Hang On To Your Receipts!

13. avatar Mark N. says:

Having never sold a gun, I cannot regret having sold one off that I wished I hadn’t. But I can say that I regret NOT selling my pseudo-SIG Mosquito. Not that I didn’t try, mind you, just that no one wants to buy it. Can’t say that I blame them.

14. avatar Geoff "Mess with the bull, get the horns" PR says:

Only one, but not really.

A stainless Mini-14 ranch with the Ruger stainless ‘sterile’ folder, for one reason only –

The last 3 digits of the serial number were 223…

15. avatar TommyJay says:

Not me, but my father sold a Colt Woodsman to a grade school pal of mine. I sure wish I had inherited that.

1. avatar ChanceMcCall says:

At my age it made sense to consider that so I talked to my son who lives in California. He doesn’t want the guns. Other than my carry guns and my wife’s carry gun, and our trap shotguns they are all going very soon to strangers. This makes me sad. A lifetime of guns going back to the 1950s.

16. avatar Sgt of Marines says:

The firearms I mostly regret selling are the war trophy Chinese SKS that I brought home in 1969, and the Colt custom shop USMC 1911 with the original USMC rollmark and EGA serial #

17. avatar daveinwyo says:

1973 Ruger Super Black Hawk in .44mag. Stupid..

18. avatar Sheer Hawai'i says:

An pre-ban HK91 with sliding stock.

Still hurts.

19. avatar Wilko says:

Ruger Redhawk 5 1/2″ .44 mag pre-frame extension in the mid 80’s…

20. avatar Terminator retired first class says:

40 watt plasma rifle. Had to sell it cause wife upset. Our son used it to vaporize the neighbors cat.

1. avatar bontai joe says:

You made me laugh out loud and now I have to explain to MY wife what is so funny. Two thumbs up to you!

21. avatar Vic Nighthorse says:

Bowen 6.5″ blued .475 Nimrod conversion of a Blackhawk. Fishpaw snakewood grips. No ports just a barrel band. Was a terrific hand warmer;-)

22. avatar Scooter says:

I miss my Bulgarian Makarov. Side note, I have a 5926. 🙂

23. avatar Gaffer57 says:

During my young and foolish days, back in the late ’70s, I bought a beautiful Argentine Model 1909 cavalry carbine from a Sears Surplus store. I believe I paid $69.95 for it. A year or so later I decided that 7.65×53 ammo was too hard to find and thought what I really wanted was an auto pistol. I therefore traded the Mauser for a rather ratty Savage .32 ACP. A relatively short time thereafter I traded the Savage for a Bauer Rabbit survival gun (.22 over 410). I kept that as my “72 hour kit” gun for several years but finally sold it as well. Now that I have a modest collection of classic military rifles I occasionally kick myself for letting that little 1909 get away.

By the way, the last time I saw a Bauer Rabbit the price on it was about five times what I sold mine for:(

24. avatar RussInSpokane says:

A Browning A-Bolt. .22 Mag with better looking furniture than my dining room table. That wood stock was amazing. Although I got what I had paid for it I still consider it on of my more dumbass moves. Sold it only because I was not shooting it at the time. I would be rocking the snot out of that thing today 8 years later…

25. avatar Widdler says:

My model 70…..and you just had to bring it up again didn’t you.

26. avatar possum says:

Universal Arms M1 carbine. The real bite in the ass wasa Colt Trooper MK3. I was getting into autos and needed some trade money, damn she was purse compared to what coming out now I’ve had a bunch of ,”what was I thinking ” but the Colt stands out.

27. avatar arc says:

I don’t sell off my guns… they are like gold and silver.

I do regret family selling off some of their stuff… with the invasion on the southern border and all.

28. avatar bontai joe says:

I haven’t sold much, but the Colt Single action Army in .45 stands out as one I really wish I had kept. It was a fun gun to shoot, but I desperately needed the money for a down payment on a house. Also sold a FN FAL in .308 for the same reason, and I miss that one too, but I miss the Colt more. I’ve sold a few others, but they weren’t anything I loved, a plastic stocked turkey special Remington 870, a Marlin 35 Rem lever action, both of which were won from different raffles. I had one unusual set of firearms I sold to a co-worker because I was desperate for cash. Years later he was moving halfway across the country and showed up at my house with all 3 guns and gave them to me. In wide eyed wonderment, I tried to explain that I didn’t have the cash to buy them back, and he said, “Hey, I was just holding them for you and now it’s time to for you to take them back.” So I got my unfired Winchester .22Mag lever gun, my Marlin .44mag lever gun, and my Winchester 12 ga. pump back. I might have cried a little that day.

To the original poster, I just recently got a stainless 5906 that I really, REALLY wanted back-in-the-day. Came in the original box wrapped in the brown waxy paper with the manual, extra mag and owner’s card. I might have cried a little that day too.

29. avatar Southern Cross says:

I’ve only sold 4 guns, and two were to the government in a buy-back.

The first was a Sharp-Innova air-rifle. Sold because I was no longer using the gun. It was replaced by a Feinwerkbau 300S match air rifle.

The second was a SKS factory modified to take 30-round AK magazines and in a aftermarket thumbhole stock. Sold privately a few months before Port Arthur happened.

The third and fourth were a Ruger 10/22 and an AR-15. Handed in in a buyback with spare parts and magazines.

After that I was buying but not selling.

30. avatar Tile Floor says:

Not me, but my grandfather sold a Luger in the 70s he had “acquired” from a German fella in WW2 for 100 bucks when he was short on cash : (

31. avatar burley says:

Bulgarian Makarov: bought in ’93 for $69. Sold in ’96 for $70. DUH! Great shooter, reliable, affordable to fire. Still miss it.
    Norinco SKS: bought around the same time as the Mak for $75 WITH a full spam can.
    Sold for $75 after shooting about 1/2 the spam can. Still miss it.
    Tried to save my marriage to my now ex-wife who’s pacifist family was pressuring her to leave “such a violent person”. Told my current wife that I will never sell another gun. She said, “Better get a safe, then”. I do love that woman!
    Finally replaced the SKS, found a Yugo for $350 about a year ago. Still Haven’t replace my Mak.

32. avatar ChipinNWFL says:

I rarely sell….HOWEVER, If the question was “what do you regret NOT buying”? Now that is a long list! JSB inspected 1911A1 $400, 1941 Johnson Rifle $900, H&K 41 $700, and the list goes on. Thank God 99.9% of the time I can’t say no to gun I think I “need”…LOL

1. avatar bontai joe says:

regret not buying? Yeah, that is a long list for me too. A Colt Woodsman Match Target pistol would be #1 on my list. A Remington XP-100, a Thompson Center Contender with about 6 barrels, a Ruger Red Label O/U in 12 ga., and a Smith & Wesson K-22 Masterpiece with an 8 3/8″ barrel would round out the top 5.

33. avatar Nate says:

This wasnt me but my grandmother.
    My grandfather was in the Korean War and he came back with his rifle. Now my grandparents lived in New York state and my grandmother is very much so a city person, where guns are bad. She understood why my grandfather kept his rifle, sentimental reasons and such. But fast forward to 1988, my grandfather died very suddenly and my grandmother was devastated. So she went through all his stuff and she hated that rifle. So she took a saw to it and threw it out. She never knew what type of rifle it was etc.
    In 2010, I took my grandmother to a world war II museum and I was looking at the rifle section when she mentioned that the m1 garand looked exactly like my grandfathers rifle.
    She look my grandfathers m1 garand, cut it up and threw it out. That is painful

34. avatar Glenn says:

Being in California things are not looking good. We now have a socialist gov., rapid anti gun and 2nd. Amend. hater in Gavin Newsome. Prop. 63 (his brainchild) totally screwed up ammo sales. Background check everytime you buy a box of twenty. Keeping my guns for now and waiting to see how bad it really gets. May have to take up model railroading. Not !

1. avatar Marty says:

There’s a solution to the Commirfornia problem, move the Hell out to a decent state. I don’t have a lot of guns but what I do have are not for sale at any price. When I no longer have use for them they’ll be passed on to son/grandson. Once I get my hands on one it’s mine forever.

35. avatar YepIdid says:

Sold the best gun in my collection 23 years ago! Got paid 150 bucks and put the D to work. Does that make me a whore if it was just one time? It really is true what they say, even the worst piece isn’t all that bad.

36. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

sold the zinc p380 to a kid we called pailhead. for some unknown reason he had changed the domicile address on his dl to that of a grow house operation of which he was taking part in the cultivating. caught in posession while driving, they went straight to the rental house and brought a bunch of knuckleheads down. incomprehensibly idiotic, but even that’s not as stupid as giving me fifty for that davis. but no regret.
    the regret would be the security six loan to one of my korean war vet pals. he is now detained at a convalescent home, and made sure to have the item confiscated due to “arnery brandishin’.” it cost me naught and i had never fired it, but i got it from a friend who passed (“the operation went great, and he can still drink with the pig valve.” “what the heck is acinetobacter?”) and so.

37. avatar G Smithy says:

I traded a kahr cw9 for a 98 4×4 blazer as I needed transportation ASAP gun ran flawlessly as does the truck .That being said every time I get in that truck or even look at it I shake my head

38. avatar Billy Hill says:

I posted on FB a bit ago about some work I was doing to a winchester Model 06. A newly made friend asked if I had any interest in selling it. I told him the same thing I tell everyone, I don’t sell guns, I buy guns….

39. avatar RyanWest says:

I bought a MkIII Hunter after graduating college in 2012. It was my first firearm purchase and I drove out if the way with my grandpa to find one. I ended up selling it in 2016 to help pay for an engagement ring. Totally worth it but that gun had more sentimental value than I thought. I found and bought a shorter Talo edition mkiii on armslist for a great price to make up for it, and its a great gun, just not quite the same as my first one.

40. avatar Rudolf says:

My MG42/59 Transferable. It was setup as an MG1 MG3 clone and I got it based on that it was gonna need work as it was a one cut 80’s project for a gunsmith and he registered it. It ran fine in 762 Nato but not on 8mm or any other 308 barrel than the one that came with it.
    But I got it working with a new trunion and other stuff for it.
    Met my wife….thought it was the love of my life. Sold it to help pay for her schooling. She finished schooling and fell in love with her Dr.
    Out of all of the guns… I miss that the most. I can actually live fine with just my dog, my 4runner, and guns. Some deep meditation and crossfit and enjoying life as a retired but disabled veteran. Not bitter, just a learning experience. I wish her luck and all of the best.

41. avatar Phil LA says:

Any gun thats clean and unscratched isnt worth keeping.

Ammo ammo ammo!

42. avatar KEVIN CROWTHER says:

OH HELL YEAH,DO TO AN INJURY THAT HAS LEFT ME BED BOUND,I HAVE SOLD,MY PYTHON,COLT GOVERNMENT,SIG P220,BROWNING 9MM,2 BIRDS HEAD VAQUEROS,CIMMARON 73 24 INCH BARREL GEN 3 SLICKED UP !!!!!!!!!!

43. avatar RA-15 says:

In 1990 I bought 5 of the same SKS the author pictured above , my local Woolworth was selling them nib w bayonet. Cosmoline & all. $59 each out the door. I ended up selling every one. Saw one in so,so condition at my gunsmith’s shop a couple weeks ago $ 500. 🙂 and my ruger Blackhawk all stainless. & there were others Allong the way. If I had all the guns I’ve sold over the years , I would have an Arsenal.

44. avatar Texas Twostep says:

Well, my father sold his Winchester Model 70 .243 in… drum roll…. 1963.

I traded a Satin chrome finish Sig P226 that was marked Lysons Corner on the slide for a Glock 22. There were only a few mismarked P226s that left the factory like that (they were actually in Tysons Corner).

45. avatar Marty says:

Saw the movie “Dirty Harry” when it first came out. Fell head over heels in love with that S&W Model 29 and had to have one. A few days later I found one for the exorbitant price of $199.95 at F.W. Woolworth Co., in Warwick, R.I. and paid the money. That was a lot of money but the time to buy is when you see it. Many times I was tempted to sell it when money got real tight but always found another way. Now 47 years later she ain’t for sale at any price! She’s a safe queen now. “Ah Ah, I know what you’re thinking….Did he fire 6 or only 5? …………….

46. avatar PeterK says:

I sold my mosin nagant because we were moving and wife didn’t want the hassle of moving a gun.

Now I can’t get one back for less than double what I sold it for. Bummer. It was a fun gun to own, the first long gun I ever bought.

So all-in-all not a huge loss, but that’s my story.

47. avatar PeterC says:

Years ago, my uncle was given a bunch of old guns by his American Legion post. They were moving to new quarters and didn’t have room for these relics. In 1961, the centennial of the Civil War, my uncle decided it was an appropriate time to sell off some of these relics. Because I was the family “firearms authority,” I was delegated to take these guns to a local gun auction. One of these was a Sharps carbine with a worn finish. The only marking on it was “Richmond, Va” as I recall. My uncle was delighted when it sold for $250.
    Little did we know that today it would be worth more than $10,000.

48. avatar Mike P says:

The first handgun I purchased was a Beretta 92FS Inox, back in the early 2000’s. That thing was a tack driver but I found that it was mostly a safe queen.

The NRA had a good deal on upgrading life membership to endowment membership after Parkland so I sold the Beretta to upgrade my membership. I miss the gun and I can only hope that the NRA doesn’t piss those dues away.