Honor Defense Announces New Line of Frangible Hollow Point Personal Defense Ammunition

courtesy mfr

Press release:

Gainesville, Ga (October 30, 2018) – Honor Defense is pleased to announce the introduction of a new line of hi-performance self-defense ammunition for consumers.

The new ammunition features:

• Precision-drilled hollow point
    • Maximum accuracy
  • Frangible
    • Maximum terminal behavior in soft tissue
    • Reduced ricochet
    • Perfect for steel plate training or self-defense
  • Top pistol self-defense calibers
    • .380, 9mm, 10mm, .40 cal, .45 cal
  • Lead-free
    • Avoid lead issues for ranges
  • Virgin Brass
    • Perfect for reloaders
  • Hi-speed projectile
    • Maximum cavitation (9mm @1350 FPS)
  • Passes FBI protocols
    • Bare gel/Light clothing/Heavy clothing/Wallboard/Plywood
  • Made in the USA
    • Like all Honor Defense products, we feature USA craftsmanship

The result is an unmatched self-defense round for consumers.

With maximum effectiveness to stop threats and reduced ricochet for bystanders, the new Honor Defense ammunition offers un-matched performance.

Historically used by LE/government, this projectile will now be widely available for consumers. The product will be available to retailers through Sports South.

Retail locations announcements will be made soon.

For more information, contact Honor Defense at 678-943-8035 or visit them at: https://honordefense.com/hollow-point-ammunition/

comments

1. avatar Kahlil says:

Why would frangible ammo need to be hollow point, it isn’t like it is expected to expand or anything? How is this supposed to assist with accuracy?

I’ve been thinking more and more to try out some frangible rounds to keep in my house/home defense handguns.

1. avatar Frank in VA says:

Ammoland claims the hollow point version supposedly performs better on soft targets and is less likely to pass through like a FMJ, when compared to a non-hollowpoint frangible of the same material composition.

1. avatar Mack The Knife says:

The hollow point or front cavity will give the bullet a large frontal face or increased front area creating drag and probably cause it to tumble, further causing it to dissipate energy, unlike an FMJ that passes through soft tissue. Also the front cavity would cause a hydraulic effect creating a sizeable soft tissue cavity (the equal but opposite reaction).
        If the bullet misses its intended target and does in fact shatter upon impact of drywall then I believe we finally have the perfect home defense round. How can I become an investor?

1. avatar Bearpaw says:

Is Honor Defense still a thing? I thought they lowered the customer service bar to such depths that the company vaporized.

Guess they’re baaaaaack. Think their ammo will go off when dropped?

2. avatar Mr. Savage says:

Didn’t they say they wouldn’t do a recall on a non-drop-safe pistol? So what if I drop their pistol, with their ammo, and it happens to kill someone? I’ll pass.

1. avatar kahlil says:

apparently they have a “voluntary upgrade”, its on their website.

2. avatar MikeJH121 says:

So Honor’s ammo “frangibles” when you drop it…..or maybe it just randomly goes off in the box…..maybe it voluntarily recalls itself back when you try to load or shoot it.

3. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Meh… I’ll wait until I see the barrier penetration results…

1. avatar Kat Ainsworth says:

Sinterfire bullets. Barrier tests have already been done at enormous length by Sinterfire themselves and by shooters like myself. I’ve been hunting and shooting with Sinterfire bullets for several years. Love it.

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Well my comment above was purely sarcastic, but by all means, do share…

4. avatar Jon in CO says:

Or…you could stick with traditional bonded or solid copper bullets that don’t fragment and have better terminal ballistics.

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the bull, get the horns" PR says:

There’s a place for both types.

Choose your ammo to fit what you need.

Bear country, I’d want hardcast slugs in 44 cal. or better with a full-house load to drive it…

1. avatar Jon in CO says:

I get what you’re saying, but if I’m shooting a living thing, (human, animal, game animal) I want a bullet that doesn’t frag. Fragmentation is for steel targets.

Maybe I’m dumb, naive, or ignorant. Good possibility of all 3. Who knows, it’s the internet. Everyone’s an expert right? Haha

5. avatar Marty says:

Liberty Ammunition. 9mm, 50 grain +p, 2000 fps, 450 fpe, 12 inch penetration at 10 feet. Don’t know what bbl length they use for stats. Do know it is very accurate out of my Sig 226 and S&W shield. You Tube has some pretty impressive videos.

1. avatar FlamencoD says:

Low sectional density bullets don’t penetrate well. Luckygunner labs tested the 50 gr Liberty 9mm+p and they averaged only 9.6″ penetration with no expansion to speak of (avg. dia. of 0.37″ after gel test). Avg. vel. with about 2035 fps. I stick with 115 gr 9mm+p.

1. avatar Marty says:

Not having any gel to test with, I used the lowly pumpkin. Yea, I know even a watermelon is harder than the pumpkin, but pumpkin was all I had. From 20 yards or so, the entry whole was over an inch and the exit was over 3 inches. I know, not very scientific. But thanks for the info on Luckygunner, I will look it up.

6. avatar possum says:

A 155 gr 45,,, man that’s bunk,. I’m just fine with Hornady’s 185’s thank you

1. avatar possum says:

But I will probably buy some, just because.

2. avatar Setarip says:

Sounds like a crappy load imo. Hodgdon has load data for CFE Pistol powder: 155gr cast LSWC, 1.230” COL, starting load: 7.9 grains, 1,081fps, 14,900 psi
      Max load: 8.6 grains, 1,187fps, 19,200 psi.

This is well below 45acp max pressures.

So this load of 155gr at 950 is pure crap. Bump up into 45acp+p and that 155gr will be screaming along.

7. avatar Bearacuda says:

Hopefully they’ll have their name plastered across the casing, just to stay consistent. :p In all seriousness though, I’m interested in seeing how it performs. The gel pic looks similar to m855a1 in the sense that it fragments but a penetrator continues on. Not a ballistician so I have no idea what the technical term for that is, lol

1. avatar Xerxes036 says:

Bearacuda being a wet blanket again!

8. avatar Sora says:

1,450 fps for 10 mm in 125 gr is not that fast or powerful. 9 mm and 40 mm are right behind the heel.
    115 gr 10 mm ExtremeDefender from Underwood has it done better.
    Maybe the fragmenting nature of the round limits max speed.

1. avatar kahlil says:

I thought the same, bullet size aside all the rounds seem pretty comparable with each other. Wonder what the energy is.

9. avatar GunnyGene says:

People worry about ricochet and “over-penetration” far too much, and ammo makers feed on that fear. The fact is that the chances of someone getting hit due to either of the above are extremely low. Missing your target is far more likely, in which case these kind of rounds (frangible, etc.) are no “safer” than any other. For defensive purposes a round that penetrates deeply – including thru bone – and expands well is far more desirable and effective.

1. avatar Ton E says:

BOOM^

No matter what in a HD situation a miss will overpenetrate. If someone is missing at average HD distances the type of ammo you’re running is the least of your worries.

10. avatar Gralnok says:

I’ve often wondered why self defense ammo needs to be lead free. My only conclusion being that if the perp survives and not every piece of shrapnel is plucked out, they could sue you if they get lead poisoning. I highly doubt anybody will practice with the super expensive hollow points they load in their carry mag. As for preventing lead poisoning at an indoor range? A good idea, if all the extra money forked over for clean burning propellant, primers, and encapsulated bases, wasn’t all wasted by the guy next to you shooting TulAmmo. I’m all for being clean and green, but realistically, unless it performs far better than the proven JHP, I see little reason to spend the extra money.

That all said, I will make an exception for novelty ammo. Tracers, HEI, armor penetrating, and RIP rounds, all are fun to be shoot and have their place. However, for common street thugs, I’ll stay with the less expensive JHP.

11. avatar Geoff says:

I can’t find a price anywhere. What does it cost?
    Oh, I have to ask so I guess it’s more than I can afford.