A Great Shot Timer at a Great Price

lasr app rangetech shot timer

Shot timers are a great tool. They allow you to measure and test the speed of your draw, your transitions, reloads, movements and anything else during your practice, training, or at a match. A shot timer is one of the few practical ways of instantly adding some pressure to your shooting, specifically the pressure to speed it the heck up!

Shot timers themselves been around for a long time, and for the most part, they all have the same feature set and the same price range. The new RangeTech shot timer is looking to change that, offering more features at a better price.

“If you’re not testing on the clock, you’re not testing… the timer brings a mental stress to it that isn’t there otherwise.” – InRangeTV

The RangeTech shot timer starts at only $30 and integrates with your smartphone or tablet to offer unprecedented functionality. On top of all of the features you expect from a shot timer, you also gain things like integrated scoring, record keeping, auto-restart, and more. Check out a full feature list, and even compare RangeTech to other shot timers on their website.

Intelligent and thoughtful design ensures that RangeTech is easy and practical for everyone. Match ROs and instructors can make use of the remote controls for safer and easier practice. Billboard Mode” and the option to have your shot times audibly announced make RangeTech a great option for the individual user as well.

You can learn more about RangeTech and order one for yourself at lasrapp.com/RangeTech.

comments

1. avatar Kevin says:

The $30 version is only available for Android devices.
    If you have an iPhone, you’ll have to shell out $65.

🙁

1. avatar RocketScientist says:

WHOAwhoawhoa there. You’re telling me. That Apple products and their associated accessories… cost more than equivalent android products and their associated accessories??

2. avatar Michael in AK says:

If you have an iPhone, you should be used to overpaying….

1. avatar S says:

If you have Android you should be used to settling for inferior products

1. avatar Michael in AK says:

Hahaha…nope. ….what does the business world use?

1. avatar S says:

So you think that’s a measure of quality?? Lololololol

2. avatar Raz-0 says:

I can tell you from the back end of enterprise scale mobile device management, that IOS is much more pleasant to provision and manage. The android ecosystem is a hot mess that takes significantly more work to get sorted and has us constantly sampling devices from carriers to see which ones lie. Which is most of them other than Samsung with Knox.

Even at $65 is not a bad price and you avoid display issues which are a problem on most timers in hot or freezing weather.

3. avatar Steve B says:

And the minute they change the operating system for either phone, your shot timer may not work.

4. avatar Curtis in IL says:

I’ll look forward to some objective reviews on this. Until then, I am skeptical.

I have not been impressed with the cell phone based shot timers that I have tried. There were problems with the timer picking up echoes or not recording every shot during rapid fire. And I think the problem stems from the hardware, not the software. The microphones on cell phones are just too sensitive to deal with the decibels involved.

I picked up a Pocket Pro II from Competition Electronics and have had no complaints.

1. avatar John says:

That is the entire idea… this fixes the hardware problem.

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Thanks, John.

Looking closer, I see that the product includes hardware that communicates with a cell phone, via plug-in jack or bluetooth.

While it’s good to have options, I generally like to keep things simple.

Looking forward to a thorough review here on TTAG.

5. avatar little horn says:

pfft. a timer does you no good if you don’t know HOW to improve your times.

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

I disagree. If you are training for defensive shooting then some measurement of speed should be part of the equation. I don’t discount the value of a good trainer, but improvement is still possible without one.

Also, shot timers can be used for friendly competition at the range. They add another element of enjoyment to shooting with your buddies. In my case, many dollars have been won and lost over a few hundredths of a second.

1. avatar little horn says:

thats nice.

6. avatar el Possum Guapo Standartenfuher " they think we're making pizza's Oberst von Burn says:

Shot timers and 1/120 second splits is for competition. Real world maybe a one second difference might be an advantage. I’d think like in a cowboy gunfight 1 sec vs. two secs, you’d both wind up shot

7. avatar c4v3man says:

The site seems pretty light on details about the whole setup, which is sad since it’s something I’d be interested in. I use Practiscore for the matches I organize, and would love a bluetooth or line-in unit to capture time and allow for easy “pasting” into practiscore. A competent programmer should be able top program an android app that spawns a notification that shows the current shot time, and constantly copies that time into the clipboard in Android. That way I’d never have to leave practiscore.

I’m sure the app it uses is acceptable as a timer, and may even be fine as a scoring application. I, and many others, don’t care. Practiscore handles the easy tracking and dissemination of results to a quality website with the ability for multiple users to easily review results, handle multiple squads, etc. So I don’t care how easy it is to score with the RangeTech app, if it doesn’t integrate neatly with Practiscore, I’ll just stick to my CED timer.