Floridians Are Taking No Chances – A Warning to Looters

Courtesy of The Epoch Times

Floridians in the panhandle have been hit hard by Hurricane Michael. Looting has been at an all-time high, even to the point that my fellow brothers in blue were the targets of criminals and had to take lethal action. Many residents are taking no chances due to the scarcity of law enforcement in the affected areas.

As the Epoch Times reported:

Video footage emerged that shows a Dollar General in Panama City being looted. People can be seen taking toilet paper, soft drinks, beer, and other items. Alekz Londos, who uploaded the video, said that the police told him “that they do not have the manpower or resources to focus on the looting.” He said that police now just “drive up and scare” the looters.

I can honestly say that both Law Enforcement and the Florida National Guard are trying their best. We have flooded the areas as best we can, but still. Even that isn’t enough.

FLNG and State LE patrolling storm ravaged areas.

There are only so many LEOs to go around and like everyone else, many of us were personally affected by the storm, too. A number of Floridians have taken personal security into their own hands and have posted signs advising criminals to ply their trade elsewhere.

On a personal level, we’re not taking any chances either. Since I’m on Hurricane duty working 12-hour shifts, my wife is back home watching the fort and trying to cook a nice warm meal and make sure the furballs don’t get into trouble.

Courtesy of A. Valdes

Courtesy of A. Valdes

Courtesy of A. Valdes

And yes, she keeps guns at the ready and doesn’t take any chances. Being a hurricane veteran herself, she knows what can happen to the thin veneer of civilization when folks don’t have running water, electricity, and the general comforts of modern technology for an extended period of time.

I can also tell you that patrolling in a squad car during a hurricane is no fun at all.

I won’t be taking any chances with some ne’er-do-well either. I keep my work AR within reach and have go bag with additional mags at the ready along with an individual first aid kit.

Courtesy of L. Valdes

All in all, we’re doing our best to help others in more need than us. Because thankfully, we got through this storm with only a slight inconvenience. Others, like a good friend of mine and a brother in blue, were less fortunate.

He lives in Panama City and is dealing with a mess of biblical proportions. Up to eight trees fell on his home and crushed his well water pump.

So I ask our good-natured and kind hearted TTAG readers…if you can, please help those in need. Thank you.

comments

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Glad to see your wife keeps a gat or two handy while cooking outdoors.
    The smell of fresh cooked food travels a long way and hunger can cause strange behavior in folks.
    Glad you made it OK.

1. avatar Eric in Oregon says:

Glad you made it through the storm safe Luis! Looks like your house is in pretty good order. 🙂

x2 on keeping that AR handy. I think I’d keep it slung, myself.

Edit: Just noticed the Python or Diamondback in the second cooking pic. Classy!

1. avatar Dude, where’s my Kahr? says:

I think the revolver is actually a Dan Wesson.

1. avatar Bob says:

I think it is a Python. As a matter of fact, I’m damn sure it is.

2. avatar Eric in Oregon says:

Dan Wesson revolvers have a different hammer and trigger.

3. avatar Dude, where’s my Kahr? says:

I suppose you both are right and I’m wrong. I’m a firearms finatic, but that doesn’t make me an expert at identifying these. It just looked like a Dan Wesson logo on the grips. Or at least I thought it did.

4. avatar LarryinTX says:

The grips are not Python, a sacrilege. Trigger is a shoe, if that is a Python. But it sure looks like an abused Python to me. 4″, in fact, the only true Python.

5. avatar Frank in VA says:

Hard to see without zooming, but it’s got three vents in the vent rib, so it appears to be a 6-inch Python.

2. avatar CZJay says:

I didn’t even notice the guns, I just saw the food and dog. I guess I don’t have a phobia of guns… The can of PAM was more jarring.

3. avatar Cliff H says:

Having a supply of water and food for emergencies such as this is an exceptionally good idea, although I have often thought that it would be optimum if the rations could be prepared or eaten without the additional risk of letting cooking food waft through the neighborhood.

Seems like “heat the water, pour it in the bag/bowl, eat quickly and hide the dishes” would be the best policy. Unless, of course, you want to rid the Earth of some looting scum for desert.

2. avatar jwm says:

Remember. With a revolver you don’t have to worry about policing up the brass. And a shotgun is harder to trace. Shoot. Shut up.

1. avatar Tim says:

Two excellent, excellent points which are (oddly) ignored by most folks.

2. avatar Chris T in KY says:

Thank you. I have not thought of this before.

3. avatar Ansel Hazen says:

Triple S in Maine.

Shoot
      Shovel
      Shut Up

We don’t have any helpful gators around.

1. avatar SAFEupstateFML says:

Would’ve thought the winter months would keep that population relatively small……. unless your meth zombies are as catered to as ours.

2. avatar Rokurota says:

Shovel? And waste all that good meat?

1. avatar Nigel the expat says:

Not eating robbers. I have a few standards.

2. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

Dog food.

*snicker*…

3. avatar Nigel the expat says:

A pen full of mobile bacon does the job. A embassy sawing might be required first though

1. avatar joe Forgetyou says:

Isn’t that story just horrifying?
          a billionaire tyrannical bloodthirsty jihadi slaughtering a less rich wannabe tyrannical bloodthirsty jihadi, who pal’d around with Bin Laden and was a beloved ‘journalist’ for the Washington Post and CNN.

I’m just so tearful and horrified.

/sniff, sniff

2. avatar joe Forgetyou says:

PS – – re those porcine disposals. Anyone know how long it takes for DNA in their stomach contents to be unrecognizable in a necropsy?

/asking for a friend…

4. avatar LarryinTX says:

No gators? Hogs are good.

3. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

The good people up there may want to add the Spanish to “You Loot – We Shoot” to those signs…

1. avatar GS650G says:

a small picture of a looter carrying a TV being plugged would suffice

2. avatar Nigel the expat says:

saqueas nosotros disparamos

—- Close enough

4. avatar CZJay says:

Bruh, don’t shoot me! You got insurance. My life isn’t worth your TV, Xbox or iPad. Just make an insurance claim. We both will get something out of it.

1. avatar Southern Cross says:

Newsflash. Not everyone has insurance, or at least house AND contents insurance. In Hurricane areas insurance premiums might be higher because of increased risk and comprehensive policies may not be affordable.

And anyway, didn’t your momma teach you not to touch things if they don’t belong to you?

1. avatar Bob Jones says:

Can’t speak for Florida, but in coastal Texas, Homeowner’s + Flood + Windstorm Insurance costs five or six times more than inland areas. About $4,500/Year for $200,000 coastal island home, $1,200/year for $320,000 inland home. Those values don’t include land.

1. avatar GluteusMaximus says:

Well the land doesn’t go anywhere

2. avatar Mark N. says:

My cousin in Miami told me that his homeonwer’s deductible is $25,000. And his premium is $2000 per month.

2. avatar Nigel the expat says:

Sorry, bruh. You were in my house.

3. avatar Garrison Hall says:

A version of that excuse is now the standard response from a local surburb’s police department whenever a resident calls in a car break in. They actually say they “don’t have the manpower” to respond to a car theft in progress and suggest that the owner simply make an insurance claim.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Just tell them you shot the mofo, just send the hearse.

5. avatar Sean in Tampa says:

It’s real bad here in Marianna, I can’t imagine what its like further south. We’re making the chainsaws sing up here.

6. avatar William W. says:

I’d almost bet that if an organized group of retired Veterans would like to work Community Watch Patrols through the most looted areas. Why not contact the area’s VFW, and other patriotic groups for help or volunteers? Their experiences are inconceivable and indispensable to deter these animals.

1. avatar frank speak says:

ARMED looters????….and they wonder why you want an AR-15!……

1. avatar Nigel the expat says:

To stop “equitable wealth redistribution”…

2. avatar Jeremy D. says:

I’d worry about flashbacks or PTSD. Many cops are ex-military anyway

3. avatar drunkEODguy says:

If you hired blacks would you worry they would commit crimes? That has about the same level of logic as your “PTSD” claim.

7. I’m sure the *(DNC)* DemoCommies will somehow make an issue out of this…Maybe scream racism, the poor southern minority groups and “undocumented ” ILLEGAL Demo-crap voters…Forced into a life of crime by white privilege no less…Or It Will be Trumps fault, probably say he activated The Project HARRP weather modification weapons system and targeted Florida DemoCommies! Or They’ll say see what happened when the GOP passed SCJ Kavanaugh…That’s what Florida DemoCommies get….

8. avatar Green Mtn. Boy says:

One of the many reasons for there being a Second Amendment .

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

(With whiny voice) but, but, but government promised us that they would always be there to take care of us! How can there possibly be any “scarcity of law enforcement in the affected areas” when government promised to be there???

If the local police are unable to report for duty because they are busy cleaning up their own properties, wouldn’t government just ship in cops from other parts of Florida to fill in the gap?

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

My previous comment was sarcasm in case it was not obvious.

And buried in my last rhetorical question are two huge problems:
        (1) If government shipped-in cops from other parts of Florida, who fills in the gaps that those officers leave behind?
        (2) Where are all these temporary cops going to sleep, eat, and shower while they are in the devastated areas?

9. avatar RA-15 says:

Green Mtn. Boy : took the words right out of my head !! The 2nd Amendment . this is one of the reasons we do not mess with our constitutional rights. You never know when we will need the wisdom set forth by our founding fathers.

10. avatar Joe says:

Yes folks, this is why we have a 2A. And we have elections coming, with Gillum the commie gun grabber running for Governor, and RINO gun grabber Scott vs crooked dumbocrat Nelson for US Senate…

Oh well, at least in the aftermath of this disaster my heart is comforted seeing all kind of people, firemen, cops….working together against the scum of the earth.

11. avatar Waynefromfl says:

Other than losing power for a week and a half. Most of the county here where I live did fine.

We cleaned up our yards and roads, checked on one another. And we watched each other’s backs.

Oh and I got some chili and beef stew MREs from the national guard.

1. avatar jwm says:

What did you do to piss the weekend warriors off?

1. avatar SAFEupstateFML says:

It wasn’t vegetarian omelet so couldn’t have been that bad

2. avatar Nigel the expat says:

As opposed to looting you local stores, rioting, burglarizing you neighbors, and other general mayhem.

Funny how that works… 😉

12. avatar Chris T in KY says:

Luis
    You job is to go home to your family every night. Please make sure you do that.

13. avatar Southern Cross says:

So are Hogge boy and Buzzcut girl sharing their bounties with those less fortunate or has Bloomberg sent down a security detail to protect his investments?

14. avatar James says:

Is there anything even worth stealing in the Florida panhandle?

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

Not if you value your life.

1. avatar Mister Fleas says:

Uh, wow.

2. avatar Joel says:

Best answer ever….

“You Loot We Shoot” worked damn well in Koreatown during the Rodney King riots.

Now that the mobs run through the streets of American cities under Democrat protection, it’s even more important.

My community is a peaceful as can be, so civil riots are extremely unlikely. But I’m still armed to the teeth just in case.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Spot on Ralph.
      Spot on.

2. avatar Joe says:

If stuff hits the fan, and it could at any time the way things are going, expect even the most peaceful community to quickly become not so peaceful. Be it due to outsiders or insiders losing it. Some good law abiding people will lose it when they run out of supplies, some will hunt squirrels or even eat roaches, but many will want to take from you. I’d say unless you are very close daily with people in your small, isolated (rural is usually better) community, then I wouldn’t trust anyone. Overall we live in a society of stressed, unhappy, materialistic, and stupid people. People don’t communicate enough on a calm day to begin with. Every day I observe nutjobs who would probably jump you for a road rage incident or a parking spot. If there is an opportunity to steal, rape, hurt just for the heck of it, people will do. Man is a wolf for man!

16. avatar Marcus says:

Who the hell would want to loot any devastated area in the Gunshine State???? I thought criminals were smarter than that if you want to loot an area safely wait for a major quake to devastate CA. Just be sure to pick a major city as they have the least number of guns but the most number of valuable goods in their 2 bed 1/2 bath million dollar homes.

1. avatar Joe says:

There’s a lot of meth in FL, it makes people dumber. Folks get crazy when they see an “opportunity”, for many the sign will be enough, for some they’ll get the message when you “welcome” them with a visible firearm, but a few will be begging to get shot at. Of course the hordes of brain dead leftards, thugs, BLM etc will hesitate more that if the same chaos happened in Seattle or Portland, but you can always count on a few crazies be it in FL or anywhere else.

17. avatar GS650G says:

You don’t need to be in a hurricane area to need supplies. Anyplace, any town the light go off for more than a few hours can turn on you. Florida has a large number of criminals hiding out due to the weather and income opportunities so it’s more than most.

1. avatar Joe says:

Excellent point. The gap between the “haves and have nots” is definitely pretty big in FL.
      I am a cop and I even work extra hours every once in a while, I am not in the same category as some of the folks who came from up north. They can afford houses I will never be able to afford unless I win the lottery. It’s fair game, but it also makes cost of living go up and up, and up…while our wages go up very very slowly. The cost of living is lower in northern FL but pay is usually laughable as well. We also get a lot of junkies, low lives and homeless from other states, as well as the usual 3rd world migration. If you are actively looking to exercise your stand your ground and check your SD skills, some parts of FL are definitely a good place to be.
      Most of us cops here recommend the good people to arm themselves, practice, and carry. The bad thing here is for 1 good patriotic family we get from Mass., NY, IL, etc, it seems we get 2 or 3 libtards anti 1st and 2nd Amendments who want to turn the state into a hell hole. They do the same in NC, GA, and parts of TX or AZ it seems.

1. avatar GS650G says:

I lived in S FL for over 4 years and saw the entire state in that time. Beyond the tourist spots lies a land where you are most certainly on your own. I left for greener pastures in 95 and I wager the gap has only gotten wider.

18. avatar dpk54 says:

Looters are nothing a few well-placed bullets won’t fix!! I don’t blame the residents…I’d shoot them, too!

19. avatar Ark says:

Looters should be shot, looters who surrender should be shot in front of an audience.

20. I’d like to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in penning this site.
    I’m hoping to view the same high-grade blog posts from you later on as well.
    In truth, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to
    get my very own website now 😉