Hunting Self-Defense Carry: Everyday Carry Pocket Dump of the Day

According to the possessor of this pocket dump, Henry Bowman, this is his carry for hiking or scouting for hunting locations. He’s chosen a GLOCK 40 MOS with a Trijicon RMR; the 10mm chambering and 6.02-inch barrel make it a solid choice for the various predators you might find in the woods and mountains (four-legged or two-legged).

That’s the thing about selecting a self-defense gun for the woods: it needs to be a large enough caliber to stop the threat, but small enough that you can control it. Fast follow-up shots are a must. Personally I find 10mm to be the perfect choice.

(And yes, you can technically drop a raging bear with a 9mm – just ask Phil Shoemaker. But even Shoemaker agrees it was far from ideal.)

Any other hunting/hiking carries out there?

comments

1. avatar smh says:

My “pocket” dump is a S&W500 and 5 boxes of ammo. Yes, I have pretty big pockets.

1. avatar Bearpaw says:

Thank goodness a Glock. I was feeling some withdrawal symptoms in my tummy after the M&P in the last one.

2. avatar Jeff in CO says:

My pocket dump is a 650mm Creedmoor with 5-100 round drum magazines. If it ain’t a Creedmoor, then it ain’t, okay, I’ll just stop…

1. avatar Omer says:

If it ain’t Creedmoor, then you just need more.

2. avatar Apollo Creedmoor says:

Well done.

3. avatar EDC BREN-TEN, FOUR MAGS, THREE FLASHLIGHTS, ONE FLESHLIGHT... says:

Honestly, that is every bit as realistic as these stupid things. I expect to see it next week.

2. avatar Omer says:

He could be the new Dirty Harry.

3. avatar jwm says:

When I’m hunting as a group I carry my primary, shotgun or rifle, and my knife. When I’m solo I add a j frame in a pocket holster. I only see small bears where I hunt but I do see scandalous folks on occasion.

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the bull, get the horns" PR says:

“…but I do see scandalous folks on occasion.”

People getting busy getting ‘frisky’ out in “Mother Nature”?

1. avatar jwm says:

That does happen. But what I was referring to was the guys like the salt and pepper team in a hoopty that were nosing around my 4runner when I came out of the brush close by. These dudes would have been right at home living out of a shopping cart in San Francisco.

It was 2 of them and 1 of me. When you’re hunting in CA your shotgun has to be modded so that it holds only 3 rounds. I felt a lot better having my j frame to back those 3 rounds of birdshot up.

4. avatar Craig in IA says:

Funny stuff. Seriously, for deer hunting or turkey, etc , I just carry my 6″ S&W 29 with a 2X Leupold in a chest rig. I’ve actually drawn it and shot a buck I jumped a few years back. Wished I had some pals with me, they’d have thought me Wyatt Earp at least.

Hunting you don’t (at least in IA) need to worry about concealed…

5. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

I love my 40, but my 500’s blow it away. My Glock Guncrafters 50 GI on the 40 frame is also a heavy hitter.

6. avatar Sal Chichon says:

That’s close to my setup!

7. avatar Ted says:

I love those EDC “pocket” dump where they have to put the ring. Why don’t you put your socks and underwear as well?

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the bull, get the horns" PR says:

“Why don’t you put your socks and underwear as well?”

Some folks don’t wear socks or undies…

“Ventilation, dont’cha know…?”

2. avatar tsbhoa.p.jr says:

it’s silicone…

8. avatar Jeffffffff says:

A fugly glock now that’s refreshing!

9. avatar EDC BREN-TEN, FOUR MAGS, THREE FLASHLIGHTS, ONE FLESHLIGHT... says:

These are so stupid. I mean intolerably stupid. Flashlight – no signs of wear. Gun slide – no signs of wear. Holster – no signs of wear. G10 panels on knife – no signs of wear. Get off your blog. I spend almost 300 days a year walking in the woods with holster and gun, and there are patterns of wear all over everything. Even my G10 grips look grayed from matter getting stuck in them. I keep really clean gear, too. These things are so fake.

1. avatar Ralflol says:

It is the narcissistic “yoga pant” society of gun ownership. I must show it. Let’s make it look perfect, just like me, but stop looking at me pervert.

1. avatar GS650G says:

Nailed it.

10. avatar B.D. says:

Some decent gear…. a little excessive for a secondary carry while hunting. But seriously, he IWB’s that LS 10mm? why the fuck… Get a chest rig you noob.

1. avatar DaveL says:

Agree 100% Kenai chest holster so you can carry a backpack.

11. avatar RxDoc says:

I carry only one firearm for self-defense and for in the woods. A Ruger SP-101 2.25in .357mag DOA. From what I read on several different hunting sites, it’s a very valid carry in both scenarios. Along with my revolver, my reliable Remington 870 with slugs or 00 buckshot or something appropriate for type of hunt, makes good company.

12. avatar raptor jesus says:

After reading (I believe it was on here) about a guy who had to shoot a bear something like 10 times with 10mm, I’ll stick to a Ruger Alaskan strapped to my chest.

1. avatar Jr says:

That was here but if I recall he had his human JHP ammo in it at the time.