Beretta Cougar 8040 Unique Carry: Everyday Carry Pocket Dump of the Day

This pocket dump includes a Beretta Cougar 8040, a gun more commonly known for being produced by Stoeger (remember, Stoeger is owned by Beretta). The gun is chambered in .40 S&W, DA/SA, and manufactured with ambidextrous de-cockers although some people do choose to modify it to a single control.

It’s also known for its rotating-barrel breech locking system which some claim improves accuracy. It can take time to get used to the different controls on guns like this one but the owner here must like his if it’s his EDC.

Anyone else here have a unique EDC?

comments

1. avatar Jeremy D. says:

FMJ?

1. avatar troutbum5 says:

Pretty sure that’s Hornady Critical Defense. Good round.

1. avatar Kahlil says:

The owner called the rounds hornaday dummies, fancy or old fashioned way of indicating hollow point, like he’s trying to sound sophisticated or like a WW2 vet at age 37.

2. avatar slasher667 says:

I’ll usually keep hollow points in ny EDC 90% of the time, I have a spare mag with FMJ ammo in it for when I’m in areas with high bear activity and I’ll switch them out when I go into the woods.

Hollow points with 14″ of penetration against very big, very well fed black bears is a bad idea as far as I’m concerned.

2. avatar Clodball says:

Unique is a euphemism for stupid.

1. avatar HH says:

Don’t worry stupid, you’ll get your Glock and tacticool field note EDC dump of the day back.

1. avatar Clodball says:

How is this my problem?

3. avatar New Continental Army says:

Strip club owner.

1. avatar anonymoose says:

I’m not sure I’d want to see this guy’s club if he has the same taste in employees as he does in guns.

4. avatar Kahlil says:

To my knowledge there is nothing unusual or unique about the safety and decocking controls…they’re on the slide and easily manipulated with the thumb. Same as the px4 and 92/96 series.

1. avatar Ardent says:

A 92 is one thing, but I’m not terribly keen on packing something that’s overly complex, or that seems perhaps more geared to sport than defense. I did once have a brief, intense love affair with a 92fs for a few months many years ago. At the time all that ammo on tap was really something, and it shot like a dream…but these days I get all the firepower from half the weight and 2/3s the size (A boring G19). If my back were 15 years younger…I might still wear that gun…

1. avatar Kahlil says:

There’s nothing “complex” about it, it’s a frame mounted safety. If you’re unfamiliar with it take a moment to learn th controls, just like any other gun. I experience no issue going from a full size Jericho to a compact px4. Jericho has frame mounted safety, leave gun cocked and locked with a safety on. Px4 (cougar) flip decocker (leave on to drop hammer and disable trigger or flip back “off” to have trigger in DA mode. Some Cougars, 9x Seies, and storms have a decocker only feature, the safety/decocker version can be easily modified is you wish to be decocker only.

No more complex than a SA/DA Sig, just a bit different. When I carry the px4 compact I drop hammer and flip safety back off, carrying in DA mode, just like a revolver.

5. avatar troutbum5 says:

Every time I look at these, I feel so inadequate. Makes me think that my wallet, keys, pocket knife, phone and G23 aren’t nearly enough. But then, I don’t have to wear cargo pants to carry all that shit.

1. avatar DERP says:

Just to be clear: What you carry is not enough, and you are woefully inadequate.

6. avatar el Possum Guapo Standartenfuher " they think we're making pizza's Oberst von Burn says:

When I see a pocket dump EDC like my pocket dump EDC, I’m going to think “:what a fucked up dumbass that guy is”. Earlier I threw my cheap pocket knife at a tree, I still can’t find it. My EDC gun don’t jamb but it takes 45 minutes to deploy it and the batteries in my pocket watch complete with straps for attaching to your wrist are dead so I have no clue on the time society says it is. It’s dark and my blaster super sun flashlight still cannot find my EDC pocket knife I threw at that tree

1. avatar Joatmon says:

Beer or liquor? 😂

1. avatar B.D. says:

Probably neither. More of a disability.