Hands On With Dead Air’s New Nomad-30 Suppressor

dead air nomad-30

A couple of weeks ago I found myself in Salt Lake City which of course meant I just had to make the trek out to visit Mike Pappas and Todd Magee of Dead Air Silencers. As luck would have it, at the time they were mere days away from announcing the newest suppressor in the Dead Air line, the Nomad-30.

This compact, lightweight, .30 caliber suppressor strikes a balance that makes it ideal for most of the silencer-buying market . . .

In the Full30 video above, I conduct a sloppy interview of Mike and Todd and they walk us through all of the features, benefits, and design considerations of the Nomad-30. Then we put rounds down range, firing .300 Win Mag, 300 Blackout, and 5.56 through the Nomad.

At only 6.5 inches in length (minus the mount), the Nomad-30 is a particularly compact, .30 cal suppressor. It maintains excellent sound suppression thanks to a larger-than-usual 1.735-inch diameter and a unique baffle design.

With no external tube, internal space is maximized and weight is kept to a minimum. Each 17-4 PH stainless steel baffle is directly welded to the next via LBM or laser beam welding. A pretty sweet process that bonds more deeply despite less overheating and almost no distortion.

On the business end, the Nomad uses Dead Air’s existing end cap system. The user can easily swap between end caps with different aperture diameters, flash hider end caps, and more.

On the mount end, Dead Air made the cool decision of designing the Nomad to be compatible with “legacy” mounts. Mainly, this means mounts for some SilencerCo and other suppressors. This opens up a whole world of direct-thread mount pitches and QD mounts for all sorts of different muzzle devices.

Including, of course, Dead Air’s own Key-Mo system that works with their brakes and flash hiders.

Mounted on a Barrett MRAD chambered in .300 Winchester Magnum, the Nomad-30 was surprisingly effective. For such a small suppressor, it cut the sound of that punchy caliber shockingly well. Especially for the shooter, it was flat-out quiet and completely comfortable with a great tone. It also appreciably tames recoil.

On 5.56 it sounded great. We shot this Galil ARM, a Ruger Mini-14, and an AR-15 with the Nomad attached. The large diameter of the suppressor reduces backpressure, and the sound level and tone were great even on the slimmer caliber with the .30 caliber end cap.

Through a 300 Blackout, it was as quiet as I’ve heard anywhere. At least subjectively using the ol’ ear-o-meter. Given the compact size, light weight, and durability, the Nomad-30 is a fantastic choice and a top performer for 300 BLK.

When I first saw it, I didn’t really “get” the Nomad-30 (which is funny, because I had the same experience with Dead Air’s Wolf 9SD). It isn’t a belt-fed-full-auto-rated super durable suppressor but it isn’t a featherweight titanium suppressor, and Dead Air already sells five other .30 cal cans. But after holding it and experiencing it, I’ve come around 100 percent.

I think Dead Air has found the sweet spot where most of us actually live. Do I personally need a suppressor to be rated for belt-fed full-auto fire? No. I wish, but no. Would I like a suppressor to be durable enough that I can do mag dumps through a semi-auto 5.56 or 300 BLK or .308 and not have to worry about the bore eroding? Yes, yes I would.

So it gives up a few ounces to an all-Ti can and ultimate high-temp stability to the Inconel and Stellite super-alloy cans, but in doing so finds that sweet spot between weight, durability, and sound suppression. The Nomad-30 would be at home at a PRS match, out hunting on a bolt gun or hunting hogs with a semi-auto, or taking a tactical carbine course and sending a thousand rounds down range in a day.

I’m a big fan.

Specifications: Dead Air Nomad-30

Length: 6.5″
Weight: 14 oz
Diameter: 1.735″
Caliber: Multi — up to .300 Winchester Magnum
Finish: Cerakote
Materials: all 17-4 stainless steel except for Grade 5 titanium end caps
Minimum Barrel Length: no restriction
MSRP: $916 (about $745 via Silencer Shop)

comments

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

This sounds like a wonderful suppressor.

Here is my only problem:

$750 for suppressor
    $50 for shipping/FFL transfer
    $200 ATF tax stamp
    ———————————————
    $1,000 total cost

I cannot justify $1,000 for a suppressor. I have excellent bolt-action rifles that cost 1/4th to 1/3 that including optics. I have semi-auto rifles that cost 1/4th to 1/2 that including optics.

When total cost of ownership gets down to around $400, I will buy one.

Oh, and I forgot to include the cost of paying a gunsmith to thread the barrels of most of my rifles.

1. avatar joel says:

You can get a suppressor for $400 total cost. some are less. Including tax stamp and everything. Something tells me this isn’t designed for a $250 hunting rifle, or marketed to to owners who primarily shoot $300-$400 guns…..

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Oh wow, I had no idea that anyone was selling suppressors for something like $200.

Does that price range provide options for all popular calibers/platforms?

In my mind popular calibers/platforms would consist of:
        — rimfire (.22 LR and .22 WMR)
        — handgun (non Magnums through .45 ACP)
        — intermediate rifle calibers
        — full power rifle calibers
        where full power rifle calibers would include the likes of .243 Winchester, .270 Winchester, .308 Winchester, and .30-06 Springfield

2. avatar TheUnspoken says:

At least with silencer shop you pay no shipping or transfer. So save $50! Which you will need for a mount… But you can get a $399 ghost-M…two cans for $1600? Joking… Or not.

Rifle cans, especially from more well known companies tend to be more expensive, so most would probably get their start with a cheaper pistol or .22lr can.

If you have a larger caliber rifle suppressor, you can use it for multiple guns as long as you are ok swapping it between hosts, so in that case, split between 5-10 rifles, a nicer can and mounting system goes a long way compared to an optic or light that maybe stays on one gun.

The $200 tax eats up a lot of the cost, and no way around that at the moment unfortunately, but if you watch there are frequently deals from various manufacturers who will give you $200 credit, or a rebate, or free mounts.

Guns and silencers aren’t cheap, but they are fun, useful, etc, and worth the cost to me.

3. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

“When total cost of ownership gets down to around $400, I will buy one.”

How does $275, including the stamp sound?

2. avatar joel says:

I’m digging that 300 blackout pistol with the can on it…..

3. avatar el Possum Guapo Standartenfuher " they think we're making pizza's Oberst von Burn says:

suppressors An ammunition company has the opportunity to capitalize on a powder that does not make my firearm take on the appearance of a smoke stack in a Chinese coal plant.

4. If I’m going to Shell Out a “Grand” or more for a .30-caliber Suppressor! I’d buy a Modern CNC SS-Waffenakademie (SS-Weapons Academy) HUB-23 Suppressor. Probably the best .30-caliber suppressor ever made, will reduce a 133dB 7.92x57mm by up to 75%…

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

You want an old fashioned Nazi suppressor that only handles subsonic ammo?

5. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

I think 750 is what I paid for my omega, and it came with a direct thread cap and a QD break mount.
    It’s a great can, but it’s like 11” long.

This Nomad is pretty cool. And only 14 oz?

1. avatar Andy1077 says:

if You take off that dumb### anchor brake (that only does anything on 300 Win Mag FYI), the omega is shorter then this depending on the configuration… and just as light…

This is from omega owner who still wants to buy the nomad. I love my omega but it’s kinda outdated compared to newer cans.

6. avatar Greg says:

No thanks I’m not paying that.

7. avatar whitey says:

Lots of text and stuff, but what are the dB numbers at the shooter’s ear? In the end that’s what is important and why they want lot’s of money for their silencer.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Once you’re under that hearing safe threshold of 140 dB, things like weight, length, caliber/rate of fire/barrel length restrictions, price become more important than chasing dB numbers.

8. avatar Alex says:

Is it just me or is this can basically a modular Trash Panda with steel construction? In any case, it does interest me for .556 – more so than 300 blk as I feel like Ti works just fine for the lower pressures/velocities involved. I don’t shoot 308, so that’s not really a factor…