Remington’s New V3 TAC-13 Semi-Auto Non-NFA Shotgun

Remington's New V3 TAC-13, Semi-Auto Non-NFA Shotgun

OK, so technically we’re not supposed to call these shotguns. They’re non-NFA “pistol grip firearms.” Fine. None of that changes the fact that firearms like Remington’s short barrel 870 TAC-14 and Mossberg’s Shockwave have become plenty popular as compact, powerful home defense and truck gun options.

But those smoothbores are pumps. Remington’s latest is the V3 TAC-13 semi-auto featuring their ultra-reliable, recoil-absorbing Versaport gas system. That should make shooting the 12 gauge TAC-13 — whether it’s birdshot or buckshot — a lot more pleasant.

Here are the details:

The Remington V3 Tac-13 represents the ultimate in compact personal defense regardless of where your journey takes you. From the comfort of your own home, to the remote wilderness the V3 Tac-13 offers the assurance that no matter what you encounter in the world you will have adequate means to defend yourself or those you love from any threat.

Remington's New V3 TAC-13, Semi-Auto Non-NFA Shotgun

• BIRDSHEAD PISTOL GRIP
    Allows for more ergonomic hold to help control the firearm and reduce recoil for the shooter.
  • HAND STRAP
    User adjustable to help control muzzle flip and improve handling characteristics.
  • LIGHTWEIGHT ALUMINUM RECEIVER
    For easy, comfortable transport anywhere.
  • 13″ LIGHT CONTOUR BARREL
    Compact and easy to carry anytime its needed
  • RELIABLE FEEDING
    Gas system optimized to run common light field loads or full power buck and slug and anything in between
  • LOW RECOIL
    Patented Versaport gas system is self regulating and offers very manageable recoil in a compact package
Remington's New V3 TAC-13, Semi-Auto Non-NFA Shotgun
The V3 TAC-13 has an MSRP of $915.
Remington's New V3 TAC-13, Semi-Auto Non-NFA Shotgun

comments

1. avatar Joatmon says:

Way to much from a company that has been putting out crap for quite a while.
    Pass.

1. avatar Bearpaw says:

Ditto. Big Green is dead to me.

Note that Aimpoint pylon. Any taller and you could hip shoot with that red dot. Also about as useful as that “any other weapon.”

1. avatar Cpt. Obvious says:

The “sight” for any rig of that type would be one of the circle-dot lasers (which spread out at the same rate as a non-choked shotty’s pattern) mounted on that front pic rail.

2. avatar frank speak says:

that msrp is way out of line…when you consider the pumps are going for a third of that…

2. avatar jwtaylor says:

That thing would be great if it had a stock on it.

1. avatar little horn says:

LMAO

2. avatar Greg says:

I’m sure SB tactical will have a brace for it.

1. avatar arc says:

SBs are available for other shottys already.

3. avatar anonymoose says:

Needs a standoff device.

4. avatar former water walker says:

I’ve only been a gun owner for some 7 years. I don’t get it…unless you’re robbing banks or liquor stores?!?😄😏😎

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

It’s for maneuvering about in tight quarters, like narrow hallways.

Kinda like how tank crews in WW2 had ‘shortie’ carbines with folding stocks.

(Or for knocking off banks, liquor stores and pawnshops…)

1. avatar Ranger Rick says:

“banks, liquor stores and pawnshops…”

Otherwise known as manned atm’s.

2. avatar Hannibal says:

Sure, stick a pistol grip and vertical hand grip on it and it would be gre… oh.

2. avatar OKNO says:

Your concern is noted.

3. avatar Bloving says:

Or… defending banks and liquor stores… or homes, offices, vehicles, boats…
      🤠

4. avatar little horn says:

yeah its pretty stupid.

FWW, I don’t get it either . . . but I still want one. 🙂

Alas, it’s illegal in the Commonwealth of Massivetwoshits.

1. avatar Chadwick says:

It doesn’t have to be particularly useful to be fun. I want one, and can legally own one in my area. The price will keep me away. Maybe it’s worth it and maybe it isn’t. All I know is $700+ for a shotgun is hard to justify with the type of shooting and use I have for one.

5. avatar Iron Cat Beast says:

I’m not going to say it isn’t cool, but three things:

1: A Semi-auto isn’t as easy to handle off-the-hip compared to a pump, and is more likely to have FTE issues if you can’t brace it tightly enough.

2: The MSRP is almost double that of its pump-action equivalents.

3: It’s a modern-era Remington, which disqualifies it for me straight away.

1. avatar EWTHeckman says:

Re. #1: That’s more of an issue with inertial systems. This one is gas cycled so that should not be a problem.

Re. #3: Why is “Remington” automatically a problem? I know they’ve had problems lately, but their shotgun division has been one of the real bright spots in that troubled company. And it’s not like they’ve pulled some anti-2A garbage (that I know of).

1. avatar Iron Cat Beast says:

I dunno, something about seeing brand new factory 870s with canted barrels, and shotgun shells that only ejected the brass and left the plastic hull stuck in the chamber. You’ll never find a better quality scattergun than a pre-Freedom Group Remington, but they’re cutting costs in all the wrong places nowadays, and there are too many comparably-priced options to risk buying any more new Remington products and hoping I ended up with one of the “good” ones this time.

Now, if Mossberg puts out one like this, that’s another story.

“[Remington’s] shotgun division has been one of the real bright spots in that troubled company”

My store sells plenty of Remington shotguns, so I get to handle a lot of them. In all honesty, the pump 870 went downhill fast in recent years and I’m not sure it’s back yet. OTOH, the semi-auto Versa Max is a total gem.

1. avatar EWTHeckman says:

That’s good data. Thanks for the info.

2. avatar Mike O Koberlein says:

Ralph, from what I have read these V3 Tac13’s were just introduced by Remington this past Tuesday, 10/09/18. Has your business been advised when these might be available for customer purchase?

6. avatar No one of consequence says:

Welcome to the wacky world of workaround weapons.

7. avatar Removed_californian says:

Semi auto dumpster defender?

1. avatar jwm says:

The homeless have the right to self defense also.

1. avatar SAFEupstateFML says:

“I doubt it” for what I think he was referencing. Fully agree with your comment but it does get the NIMBY crowd riled up

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

The wild, weird, whimsical and wacky world of workaround weapons.

(Good for hunting wabbits…)

The wild, weird, whimsical, wonderful and wacky world of workaround weapons.

Good for hunting wascally wabbits…

FIFY

3. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

I am going to have to buy you an adult beverage one day, Ralph…

2. avatar Bill says:

Fits in a shopping cart?

8. avatar IAmNotTheHulk says:

No one of Consequence, you sir, win the alliteration quote of the day

9. avatar Shire-man says:

I’d be into it at $500 or so. I love my Mossberg Shockwave and use it all the time. $900 for a novelty I cannot justify.

1. avatar Brainman says:

Exactly.

This thing would be great – at half the price. For 900? Not a chance.

1. avatar jwm says:

And if it was made by mossberg.

1. avatar skoon says:

As soon as i saw the shock wave i sad dam i hope they make a version of the 930

2. avatar Gregolas says:

….which has the safety in the perfect place.

2. avatar Dan Zimmerman says:

Note that MSRP isn’t the price you’ll see on it in your local gun store. I’d guess the actual street price will be somewhere between $550 and $700. Just FYI.

1. avatar L says:

Hi Dan, even still, at $700 it would be a commercial failure at best. Priced at $550 I think it has a chance. When a Shockwave can be had at under $400, it’s tough competition to beat. Paying an extra $150-$200 for a semi-auto versus a pump is something some people would do, although this is discounting many other factors against the TAC such as Remington’s more recent reputation.

2. avatar kahlil says:

From what I’ve seen in Virginia with the Tac 14 wooden model the local price is around $50-60 less MSRP. I’d be shocked to see the semi auto for anything less than $750.

3. avatar Curtis in IL says:

The MSRP is only valid if you intend to buy one at Gander Outdoors.

4. avatar thebronze says:

Just paid $399 for the 870 Tac-14 Woody.

1. avatar kahlil says:

In my area the Tac-14 wood version is going around $420-$450, after taxes and all that I think I paid around $435 for mine. I love wood stock and grip and it is a blast to shoot. These mini shotguns are made for pump action, I honestly don’t see how well the semi-auto version will work. I see the attraction but for me pump action is ideal. The only think I don’t like about the tac-14 wood version is the polymer trigger group/housing and the handguard/sling point at the front wobbles in every one I have seen, causing some barrel wear. Handles 3″ shells like a champ and is much easier to point and use than expected.

10. avatar BobS says:

Only five in the tube? How quaint!

Consider the Standard Mfg SKO Mini and Shorty, with detachable box magazines up to ten. And a more attractive MSRP.

Presumably we’ll soon see pistol brace adapters for this entire category.

1. avatar Cpt. Obvious says:

“Only five in the tube?”

Yeah, it’s not a drum. But ‘just’ a quick three of those, in 00, (about 1 second) , would be like Twenty-Seven 9mm rounds.

(and no one really goes around saying “Oh, your 9mm pistol only holds 26+1? Pffft!”)

11. avatar Srirachapocalypse says:

I’m in for one when the price drops and they offer wood furniture.

1. avatar Kahlil says:

The pump tac14 is offered in wood, is more or less a replica of the witness protection gun.

12. avatar Texican says:

Mossberg hurry up and come out with the 930 based option with those 20 round box mags! And his grip needs more c-clamp!

13. avatar Mountocean says:

I’m confused, I think.

So it’s an AOW cause it’s a handheld non-stocked smoothbore, but non-NFA cause it’s so long? But they can make is shorter than I can in my garage since it never was a long-gun? I feel like I’m missing something.

Can someone explain why it’s special.

1. avatar Dave Lewis says:

There was a lot of discussion on the net when Mossberg introduced the Shockwave. The Feds seem to be on board with the concept based on the premise that the guns started out as a receiver rather than a full size shotgun that was “sawn off”, they aren’t designed to be fired from the shoulder, and they exceed a minimum length of 26″. There’s some other legal stuff which I would probably get wrong if I tried to recite it from memory, but as the article says these boom sticks are legal on the federal level with no additional fees or paperwork beyond what’s required for any firearms purchase. I’m pretty certain that they’re not legal in some blue states just because.

I’ll admit that I bought my Shockwave to outrage the snowflakes. Surprisingly it shoots pretty well with (to me at least) less perceived recoil than the old Mossberg “Cruiser” style pistol grip guns. I think it has a lot to do with the shape of the grip. I have a laser mounted on mine which helps my aim even when shooting from the hip and I keep it loaded with #4 buckshot if I would want to greet uninvited visitors.

1. avatar jwm says:

Not legal in CA. But neither is the Judge. CA is stupid.

14. avatar Vhyrus says:

‘Remington’ ‘ultra reliable’

Pick one.

15. avatar DaveDetroit says:

I don’t like shotguns without stocks. If short is what you need, then use a standard handgun or even an AR or AK style pistol. Shotguns DO need to be aimed (despite Hollywood misrepresentations), and relying on forearms alone to handle the recoil on a 12 gauge (auto-loader or not) doesn’t seem wise.

Honestly, the design looks more like something for a video game than real world.

1. avatar jwm says:

IMHO this type of shotgun fills a couple of roles. Fun gun. It looks like a case of 7-8 shot and improvised targets and a couple of friends and this would be a hoot.

A dedicated house, apartment, camper gun. Gives you the punch of a 12 in a compact package. Unless you live in the playboy mansion chances are the compactness would be a real bonus.

1. avatar Stephen M says:

Agreed. I’m really tempted to get one for my ’50 Chevy if wood furniture can be found, just because

2. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Shooting from the hip really is the least punishing way to fire a shotgun. Let your arms absorb the recoil and you can blast full power 00 Buck or slugs all day long.

And, you’d be surprised how accurately you can intuitively point a shotgun from the hip. Take your favorite scattergun out to the range someday and try ringing some steel at 10 yards. It’s a hoot! Alternatively, throw a laser on that puppy and you’re ready to perforate thugs at will.

That said, I really do think my regular-sized Mossberg 930 Tactical is plenty short enough for home defense. To each his own.

16. avatar Gerard says:

It would be a bargain at twice the price (yeah right) can I pay for one wih my bitcoins?

17. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Now get Mossberg to make this in 20 gauge, and I’m all in!

18. avatar Angry White Guy says:

“OK, so technically we’re not supposed to call these shotguns. They’re non-NFA “any other weapons.” ”

Wrong.
    They aren’t AOW’s……..they are just a “firearm”. An “Any Other Weapon” or AOW is by definition an NFA firearm.

Words have meaning, learn them.

TTAG never fails to fail.

1. avatar Ranger Rick says:

Triggered early today?

1. avatar jwm says:

Well, he is an Angry White Guy. I think they were born triggered.

Well, even an Angry White Guy can be right from time to time. It’s not an AOW, which would require a tax stamp. It’s just a non-NFA firearm.

Legal under federal law, but not legal in CA, MA and other slave states.

2. avatar Random NYer says:

I was going to comment the correction here too, but I don’t think it needed to be quite that sour.

3. Looks like we were both wrong. They’re technically “pistol grip firearms” or PGFs. Text amended.

19. avatar el Possum Guapo Standartenfuher " they think we're making pizza's Oberst von Burn says:

I’m still confused about these sawed off shotguns. Is that 18 1/2 inch barrel thing still in effect? Can it be chopped off only if it has a pistol grip?? Could I chop the barrel off my .410 and be legal if it had a pistol grip? That’d be a cool camping gun

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

If it was legal to cut down a shotgun to make something like this, then there would be no market for something like this.

20. avatar George from Alaska says:

I would rather pay the SBR or AOW tax and get a real one. Heck, I bought a bottle of Don Julio Tequila a few weeks ago for $65. And the wait isn’t that bad nowadays… it is what it is… like it or not but I have managed to suffer through the decades and have a nice NFA collection and have not once in 40 years has the government kicked my door in.

1. avatar bontai joe says:

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK…..

21. avatar Greg says:

Wonder if Benelli will jump on wagon? M4 with a brace be nice.

1. avatar BobS says:

I’m betting they’ll build it on the Stoeger M3000 line.

22. avatar Ron Hollowell says:

Still can’t shoot the mini Aguila shells.

1. avatar BobS says:

That’s like being disappointed a 10/22 can’t feed or cycle with .22 Short.

2. avatar frank speak says:

mossberg will…but it requires an adapter for reliability….

23. avatar Bigg willy says:

If Mossberg doesn’t make a 9:30 Virgin of this,lol, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle… and the safety will be in the right place… #newschool blunderbuss. Mossberg will charge at least $150 over what the 930 costs. And it’ll be worth it. Close quarter battles are very unpredictable. it’s hard to pump a shotgun when the second attacker is trying to take it out of your hands…

24. avatar joe says:

Just like the Mossberg, in Ohio..its a no,no!