Question of the Day: Do You Carry a ‘Tactical’ Pen?

Image via Amazon

Sadly, there are plenty of places you can’t legally go with your carry gun or an EDC knife. It’s come to this…even something as seemingly innocuous as a cute little cat-shaped “self defense keychain” can land you in jail in Texas.

Perhaps especially in those ultra-safe, protected places, you may want to carry some other method of self-defense besides your bare hands. I generally carry this tactical pen (above) I got courtesy of FN USA a couple years ago. It’s solid, pointy, takes standard refills and better than harsh language or keys between the fingers if push comes to something more than shove.

It’s also managed to clear TSA scrutiny a dozen or so times.

Do you carry one? Something similar? Anything at all when a gun is out of the question?

Ultra-Dangerous Self-Defense Cat and Dog Keychains (via Walmart)

comments

1. avatar daveinwyo says:

A.G. Russell Odins Eye on my truck Key Fob. A 2 edged mini push dagger. Very sharp, not for boxes or letters. $20

2. avatar Darkman says:

A firearm is never out of the question for me anyway. I carry concealed everywhere I go and always have. For longer than most of the people who will comment next.

1. avatar raptor jesus says:

You carry concealed in the courthouse? at schools? on airplanes?

3. avatar Ed Rogers says:

Nope. I would rather create distance, not close it.

1. avatar Mark N. says:

Bingo.

4. avatar Rad Man says:

Uzi TacPen 6. Takes Fisher Space refills, glass breaker, impact ends, and a handcuff key.

5. avatar Swarf says:

Only when I fly.

1. avatar BLAMMO says:

Always have one of these in my carry-on. Never been a problem. Also has a magnet at the other end. Get it at any hardware store, tool supply or home center.

I also carry two S&W tactical pens with a Fisher Space Pen refills every day. I’m a writer by profession and, even though I hardly ever use anything but a keyboard anymore, I wouldn’t be caught dead without a pen in my pocket.

1. avatar Mack The Knife says:

A is singular, refills is plural. You have a period where you should have used a semicolon and you placed a comma following the word and. You don’t need a comma at all with the word and, they serve the same purpose when used as a break. Notice the difference in my last sentence as compared to yours?
        You asked for that, so, don’t attack me or the auto correct.

2. avatar Mack The Knife says:

You asked for that, so, don’t attack me or the auto correct. Good luck.

1. avatar Ams says:

This is why editors exist

6. avatar jwtaylor says:

Yes, but not primarily as a weapon. First, because they make sturdy, long lasting pens. Second, because they make a good strong bar for use with an impromptu tourniquet.

1. avatar Jon in CO says:

That’s a genius idea, the tourniquet part. I carry a tourniquet everyday, but another use item isn’t a bad idea.

7. avatar RA-15 says:

Mike Snody KA-BAR neck knife , nothing stops an attacker like lead to the head. For $8.99 on Amazon the tactical pen is on its way. Thanks Dan Zimmerman.

1. avatar Jon in CO says:

CRKT minimalist for neck knives. Super lightweight. I went to carrying it on the belt instead of the neck. Just got too annoying for me. Don’t even notice it’s there.

2. avatar Legalize crack says:

For $8 you could have had a crackhead give you a bj behind a dumpster. I hope you feel bad now.

8. avatar anonymoose says:

Nope. I like drafting pencils and Huntington Bank pens.

9. avatar Rick the Bear says:

Yes, when I fly or have to enter a courthouse.

10. avatar Jon in CO says:

I don’t carry a tac pen. At work just a cheap clicky pen to write stuff down. I recently picked up one of the cheap S&W 12” batons. It’s surprisingly well made, fairly easily deployed, and for being all steel, easy to carry. Been smacking it on whatever I can find and hasn’t had any issues yet. $25 at Bladehq. If it breaks, I lose it, or whatever else, no big deal.

11. avatar Tactikal, because it’s more tactical spelled with a K says:

I carry a tactical field note, tactical pen, tactical Sig P320, tactical flashlight, tactical knife, tactical car and house keys, tactical smartphone, and a tactical wallet.

1. avatar tdiinva says:

I carry a Kyocera Duraforce Pro Milspec smartphone so I guess I carry a tactical smartphone. Shock resistant, water resistant, scratch proof screen and it’s EMP hardened as well all for half the price of an equivalent Apple or Samsung gen 8 phone.

12. avatar uncommon_sense says:

No, I do not carry a tactical pen. Once every two or three years when I am in a security zone, I will rely on speed to escape or improvised melee weapons if any exist.

1. avatar ORCON says:

A small child makes an effective and simple bludgeoning instrument, plus they are almost always available no matter what country you’re in.

1. avatar Mike says:

But only if it is a tactical child, one with rails that takes Glock mags. Even better if its in FDE, (has not washed in a week)

13. avatar former water walker says:

Geez I carry a knife,Sabre Red pepper gel thingy and sometimes a gat…no plans for TSA or high security situations. And no TP.

1. avatar Mike says:

TP, Am I the only one that read that as Toilet Paper?
      Question of the day? Anyone carry spare TP?

1. avatar bontai joe says:

Yes, I have on occasion carried spare toilet paper disguised as the little traveler packs of Kleenex tissues. Public restrooms when I’m in the Philippines generally have no toilet paper available. I would assume that would be true in most 3rd world nations. That’s my international traveler tip for the day.

14. avatar Mr. Savage says:

Nope, if I can’t have my guns, and can’t win the fist fight, my shoedabakers are always tuned up.

15. avatar Michael says:

The late Mel Tappan, author of “Survival Guns”, (still available, used). The book that put survival on the map, favored the Mount Blanc fountain pen. Good enough for him, good enough for me. -30-

16. avatar Kyle says:

dumb thing was broken outta the box.

so no, i tac pen for me

17. avatar Johnny B says:

I have in the past, but find them to be a bit awkward as a pen, and among all the other crap I carry, I stopped carrying a pen at all. Prior to that, though, I settled on the Zebra F701 as a compromise. Much better looking, doesn’t at all attract unwanted attention (though people do tend to comment on it if you find yourself loaning out regularly), cheap and readily available. Most important, it writes well. I understand that it’s probably not as sturdy, and would be much more difficult to get leverage on it, but if I’m resorting to using a pen in a defensive situation, it’s already a really bad day and I don’t think there slight advantage afforded by a tactical pen would mitigate that in the slightest.

18. avatar Greg says:

After working corrections and seeing inmates in action. A bic works just as good.

19. avatar GS650G says:

Jason borne showed how a pen can put a hurting on someone.

1. avatar BLAMMO says:

John Wick used a pencil. A #%&king pencil.

1. avatar Mark N. says:

So did the Joker. “Want to see a pencil disappear?”

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

Well, yeah, but how about when there is no script involved?

20. avatar VaqueroJustice says:

If I can’t take a handgun, and I have to go, I’ll either take a nice sturdy cane,
    or an acrylic contact juggling ball in a crown royal bag.

A couple of rolls of quarters in a bandanna work well, too.

21. avatar TomC says:

The best tactical pen has been on the market since long before “tactical” became an essential word in name of everything marketed today. Of course it isn’t tacticool for all the mall ninjas because it isn’t painted black, but the best tactical pen available is still the Parker Jotter stainless steel pen and pencil set.

Perhaps not quite as strong as the best of the new mall ninja toys, but more than strong enough for the job, aided by the fact that it is a lot sharper for penetrating skin or breaking glass (or heads). And since it OBVIOUSLY isn’t any sort of “weapon” it easily goes anywhere — it not only breezes through the TSA lines without a glance but it also gets into those court houses and other ‘secure’ government facilities that will argue over your fifty year old P38 can opener.

22. avatar WhiteDevil says:

The problem, in the first place, is the cops who would arrest you and throw you in jail for having a fucking keychain. If it weren’t for scum, like NJ gestapo agents illegally enforcing their overlords laws and arresting people for engaging in a Constitutional absolute right, then we wouldn’t be in this mess. Politicians can pass whatever illegal laws they want. It’s up to the cops to choose whether to enforce it or not. They are as much to blame as the regressive statists, otherwise known as Democrats. Things need to change, and change now. Every cop who enforces these laws and send an innocent person to jail for keeping and bearing arms of any kind should be publicly shamed and ostracized.

23. avatar Moltar says:

The closest I get to tactical pens are those black skilcraft pens I acquired from an unguarded supply sergeant’s supply room. Kinda regret hoarding them since now I can just swipe new ones from work.

Any pen is tactical when it’s rammed into a BG’s eye.

25. avatar Andrew Lias says:

I carry a sharpie. I don’t think it’s that kinda sharp.

26. avatar RetroG says:

Sure do. A titanium Mini-Click made by a local company.

27. avatar RGP says:

No. I’m an ordinary nerd, I carry a Fisher Space Pen AG7 Original Astronaut model and a single action Ruger in .45 Colt.

28. avatar New Continental Army says:

Rape whistle.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

E-e-eek!!

29. avatar Hannibal says:

I own one but now just keep it in the car. Overly cumbersome for its primary purpose I would use it for- as a pen- and it pales in comparison to the other implements I would use for its secondary purpose- a weapon.

That said, if it was the pen or nothing, I guess I’d take it? It’s REALLY hard for me to come up with a scenario where it would be particularly useful, though- compared to running or just using my hands. I guess maybe if someone’s got me on the ground.

30. avatar OldGringo says:

OK. Take the little solid bic pen and your attack pen. Take a water melon or cantelope and stab with the pen and the metal pen. OK do that 10 times, both will go to the hilt. Now if you place denim over it the sharp pen is better. The moral of this story is, a bic pen will work if you will apply it to the neck or temple. Now, regardless of which one you use, you only get one stab and the bad guys grabs you and then it is a wrestling match. Since a body shot will not stop him for a while anyway, the bic to the head or neck fast and hard is just about as effective. I spent many years in law enforcement and while ice picks and screw drivers were often carried as weapons, I never heard of anyone arrested for carrying a concealed bic. Just saying….and if you run out of ammo, maybe just carry a backup bic.

31. avatar Sam says:

I always have at least one tool on me if needed for defense be it a pen, a knife, a pistol, or my fanny pack.

32. avatar Chris T from KY says:

My Schrader tactical pen as a fire starter on the inside and whistle on the outside. When I had to go to court last year to support a friend I was glad I had at least a pen strong enough to penetrate someone’s skull if necessary.

it was better than nothing. I’ve seen fights break out in courtrooms before.

I’m currently looking for a non metal knife for EDC.

33. avatar MrPotatoHead says:

I’ve carried a Tuff Writer Precision Press pen for years. It’s a pit pricey, but it’s a fantastic pen. Haven’t had a need to use it defensively, thankfully.

34. avatar N8thecowboy says:

I picked up a generic no name “tactical” pen a couple years ago and carry it everyday. I didn’t know if I would really use it, but I actually use it all the time. It’s pretty handy to have and writes well.

35. avatar Just some guy says:

The only time I carry a pen is at work, and at work I’ve got two glocks and a knife to use before I’m down to pen stabby panic. Besides, with the rate that pens seem to walk off on me, keeping a tactical pen on me would get expensive quick.