FN America’s New FN SCAR 20S (MK 20 Sniper Support Rifle) Limited Edition Package

FN America's New FN SCAR 20S (MK 20 Sniper Support Rifle) Limited Edition Package

Word of FN’s latest civilian addition to their venerable SCAR rifle line has leaked a little earlier than planned. Oh well. The good news is we already have one in our hot little hands and will be putting it through its ballistic paces in the weeks ahead. Look for the full TTAG review coming to a screen near you soon.

The 7.62 long-range FN MK 20 Sniper Support Rifle (SSR) had only been available for military sales. As FN describes it, the MK20 is a “tailored design for long-range precision fire applications while also providing capability to fight close in. Based on the FN® MK 17, the SSR is capable of sub-minute of angle accuracy out to and beyond 1,000 yards.”

FN’s now making 200 FN SCAR 20S packages — including the upgrade of a factory-installed Geissele Super SCAR trigger — available to the civilian gun-buying public including:

You SCAR fans will need to save your samolians. The limited edition packages are priced at $5499. Click here for a full spec sheet and to order yours.

comments

1. avatar TrueBornSonofLiberty says:

How the hell dis you get a hold of a $5500 limited rifle? Did TTAG or someone close buy it? Or is this a T&E? I’m incredulous to the idea FN is sending out a limited edition, $5500 rifle for review.

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

We’ve gotten much more expensive guns than that to review. This is a T & E gun, simple as that.

1. avatar TrueBornSonofLiberty says:

Fair enough. I believe you. It sorta answers another question, too. I kind of figured that these 200 sets would go quickly. This tells me FN is concerned enough about moving these that they find it necessary for folks to review them. Also- I wonder if this is included in their 200, which won’t be sold, or does this mean they actually produced more than 200. Hmmm

2. avatar Greg says:

A paid T&E.🙄

Have Kat do it, you freely admitted you were biased in the XDM comments.

2. avatar Cucamonga Jeff says:

Sub minute from a chrome lined barrel?

1. avatar rdsii64 says:

Absolutely. Its not as hard as people think. lower grade barrels have their bores enlarged via a chemical process to make ready for chrome This ruins bore uniformity. If you start with a barrel that was made oversized in the beginning, than hand lapp it before you chrome line it you can very easily have a sub 3/4 MOA chrome lined barrel. Critertion’s chrome lined barrels hybrid profile barrels are known for being 1/2 MOA tubes. So yes a sub moa chrome lined barrel is very doable.

1. avatar DesertDave says:

My FNAR is sub MOA with good ammo. 2 MOA with Wolf. FN makes some serious hardware!

3. avatar L says:

Something tells me these will be sitting in FN’s warehouses for a long, long time.

1. avatar jwtaylor says:

These will all be sold in the first couple of days, if it takes that long.

1. avatar L says:

Two hundred $5,500 rifles? And they are literally SCARs with a slightly modified look and longer barrel. Tell me what demographic of buyers will buy that up in a few days.

1. avatar New Continental Army says:

Those that have way too much money to burn.

All joking aside, they exist, believe me. There’s a successful market out there for guns way more expensive then this. Machine guns, double bore hunting rifles, gold plated Deagles, there are a fair amount of rich gun people.

2. avatar jwtaylor says:

It’s not about the rifle at all. The rifle is just the centerpiece of a package. The fact that it is a very limited package will ensure that they are all sold.

3. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Yup. I’d be surprised if they lasted more than a day.

4. avatar darkstar says:

Yup. Will sell out quicker than a politician. Exactly as JW says, because it’s a limited edition.

4. avatar Scott says:

So far as I know, the only real difference between the Heavy and the Sniper versions is the barrel length. Unless I’m mistaken, why don’t they sell barrels for a few hundred rather than whole guns for more than anyone cab buy?

5. avatar Fffghll says:

Limited Edition Package you say.
    Perfect!
    I have too limited of funds to pay for it.

6. avatar Cruzo1981 says:

$5499.00??? 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂😂😂

1. avatar Karl says:

It’s Gold!!! and tactical peanut butter.

7. avatar Sal Chichon says:

Yeah…. nope!

8. avatar Mark says:

Can’t lie. I want one. On the other hand a KAC SR-25 is cheaper and has a better rail and is equally as proven.

9. avatar New Continental Army says:

FN has finally eclipsed HK in pretentiousness. I won’t knock those that have the money to burn on this (provided they are built in FNs American facility by American workers). But If I’m ever going to pay several thousand for a gun it’s going to have a giggle switch.

1. avatar Cloud says:

I’m pretty sure most if not all civilian FN firearms are made in Fredricksburg VA.

2. avatar darkstar says:

Gonna cost more than several thousands for a transferable full auto.

1. avatar BehindEnemyLines says:

Mac-10s and 11s are around 5K. Registered auto sears are around 4K.

I’ll take two!

11. avatar TheUnspoken says:

Too bad it doesn’t include the matching appropriate optic and mount, unless maybe they have a version with and without. The HK Long Range Package II is offered with and without the optic, depending on what you want.

12. avatar TheUnspoken says:

The order form says this is offered to the FN owners group first, until October 15th. So if you are in the general public you may not even get a chance at this, if the owners group snaps them up. Which being the owners group, they would be the likely buyers of this anyway. Makes sense, nice they get a first crack at it.

1. avatar TheAsterite says:

As part of the owners group, I got one, but as far as I know, only a handful of people stated they were getting one. A lot of them are waiting for the barebones cardboard box release.

13. avatar rtw1951 says:

The headline says “only 200 rifle packages’ offered. Does this mean the rifle will be sold as a stand alone to anyone who wants one?

14. avatar Brandon says:

I would take a POF Revolution with the 18.5 barrel for less than half the cost any day of the week. SCARs are nice guns, but they are overpriced… and this example even more so.

15. avatar Spock is pissed says:

Is there some reason an established manufacturer like FN Herstal can’t build their own trigger that doesn’t suck, or at least, is capable of performance commensurate with a sniper use-case? I have a SCAR 17S and I had to buy the same Geissele $350 trigger to make it suck less. Are we to believe only companies like Geissele are capable of trigger sorcery that gigantic manufacturers are incapable of? is this some racket where aftermarket trigger manuf kick back a percentage of sales to the rifle manufacturers for making a sucky original model? Some Symbiotic tomfoolery? I am not just talking about how heavy a trigger is, but how LOOONG and gritty the friggin things always are out of the box. FN, put your big boy pants on and build your own sniper trigger for peeps sake. If you cant, then you suck. This shit is modular. Figure it out. Rant over.

1. avatar DesertDave says:

… but putting the Geissele name on the package adds so much. I got one for my cheap AR and damn, that is a nice trigger. When I mention that I have a Geissele trigger on my cheap ass AR everyone just about swoons over the name.

16. avatar luigi says:

hell yeah borther nice rifle lemme just go mortgage my house

1. avatar YuGo HuGo says:

Gotta find a job for the little woman!!

Putting the word “Sniper” in the description gives the antis ammunition to bitch more. May sound petty but seems these people grab onto the smallest of things and then inflate them to skyscraper sizes!

2. avatar Eddie says:

My wife’s sister works at FN she bought me one is that not great

17. avatar Evey259 says:

Sub-MOA out to 1000 yards and beyond, you say? I’m gonna have to call bullshit. Past the transonic range (even the best loads on .308 struggle to stay supersonic past 950 yards,) claiming it can stay sub-MOA past its transonic range seems like a bit disingenuous.

1. avatar DesertDave says:

Maybe they were shooting down hill.

2. avatar jwtaylor says:

Out of a 20″ barrel, M118LR is supersonic out to 1010 yards.

18. avatar Greg says:

Be nice if they included a 6.5 CM barrel.
    Overpriced in my opinion posers and wannabes will buy em up.

19. avatar john says:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH $5500?!!?!?!?!?!?? That’s almost as bad as the PSL coming back for over 2k…

“A fool and his money are soon parted.”

1. avatar Greg says:

Jesus! $2k for a PSL? I remember when they were $500. Fun to shoot just wish mags were around.

20. avatar Ninjashyper says:

Is it an epic or legendary scar

21. avatar Edward Rogers says:

I don’t collect firearms, I shoot them. I can’t justify spending that kind of money just because it’s fancier “military grade”.

I love my FN guns but have NO plans to purchase this particular weapon.

22. avatar Clint says:

All of you guys complaining about price are the same folks who drive around in rusted/clapped out 1990’s model Ford Rangers, and falling apart Honda Civics, and/or living in run down trailer parks. Of course you are going to say it’s over priced. You purchase what you can afford that meets your needs, and there is nothing wrong with that. Gun manufacturers are no different than auto companies. No one needs a $5500 SCAR-H with a longer barrel, just like no one needs a bottom of the barrel Ferrari California when they can get a loaded Cadillac for half the price.

23. avatar Eddie says:

I got an email from FN yesterday and bought the gun today

1. avatar James says:

I sent the email back Wednesday with my FFL. I am hoping that I get one. Fingers crossed.