Ten Ruger Mini-14/Thirty Accessories That Are Actually Worth the Money

The Mini-14 and Mini Thirty have been in production in one form or fashion since the early 1970s. Being a fan of the platform, I’ve seen a lot of gimmicky accessories for both rifles over the years. But, after going through just about all of them, here’s a good selection of items that are actually worth a damn to add to your rifle.

1. Accu-Strut Barrel Stabilizer: $130 via Amazon

Ten Ruger Mini-14/Thirty Accessories That Are Actually Worth the Money

The Accu-Strut is a clamp-on barrel device that dampens barrel vibrations, a principal cause of inaccuracy. It will reduce group sizes 50-75% for most older rifles with a straight profile barrel and up to 33% for newer, tapered barrels. It also helps prevent vertical “stringing” with a hot barrel.

2. Tech Sights: $70 via Amazon

Ten Ruger Mini-14/Thirty Accessories That Are Actually Worth the Money

All-steel construction with easy click adjustments for both elevation and windage, and a standard .062 aperture. This is a quality upgrade and replaces the fragile fold-down aperture on pre-2005 Ranch Rifles. It also adds adjustment ease to the 580 series produced from 2005 to present.

3. GG&G Red Dot Mount: $40 via Amazon

Ten Ruger Mini-14/Thirty Accessories That Are Actually Worth the Money

GG&G of Arizona makes, in my opinion, one of the best mini red dot mounts out there. It can accommodate optics like the JPoint, Doctor, Burris FastFire, Leupold Delta Point, and the Trijicon Red Dot (non-RMR). GG&G will fit all Mini-14 and Mini Thirty Ranch Rifle models. Additionally, there is a relief cut beneath the rail for unimpeded cartridge ejection.

4. UltiMAK Optic Mount: $109 via Amazon

Ten Ruger Mini-14/Thirty Accessories That Are Actually Worth the Money

The UltiMAK optic mount is a forward, low mounting rail configuration with the enhanced versatility of a standard mounting rail. Since the UltiMAK clamps directly to the barrel and doesn’t interface with the stock in any way, it fits with any aftermarket Mini-14 stocks – wood or synthetic, fixed, collapsible, or folding. It gives the shooter the option of using either a low-profile red dot or a forward mounted scout-type scope.

Arms Room Light Rail: $50 via Arms Room

Ten Ruger Mini-14/Thirty Accessories That Are Actually Worth the Money

The Arms Room flashlight mount attaches to the factory gas block and allows a small weapon light like a Streamlight TLR-1 or Insight M3/M6 LED to be mounted in an out-of-the-way but useful position.

6. ATI Mini-14 Strikeforce Folding Stock: $130 via Cabela’s or OpticsPlanet

Ten Ruger Mini-14/Thirty Accessories That Are Actually Worth the Money

This is an excellent 6-position folding replacement stock. You can choose to use or remove the pistol grip, and you also get a nice upgrade to your recoil management. Long story short, folding stocks and Minis are made for each other. If it’s legal in your state and you don’t have one, you’re missing out.

7. Specter Gear Sling and Buttstock Magazine Pouch: $25-$45

Ten Ruger Mini-14/Thirty Accessories That Are Actually Worth the Money

The Specter Gear Mini-14 Buttstock Magazine Pouch holds one spare 5.56mm 20 round magazine on the offside of the stock. The pouch is easily attached to the rear adapter of any of Specter Gear’s two- or three-point tactical slings. The sling-and-pouch combo gives a solid stock Mini-14 a modern M1 Carbine appeal.

8. Choate Machine & Tool Flash Hider / Front Sight Combo (for both old and new)

Ten Ruger Mini-14/Thirty Accessories That Are Actually Worth the Money

A replacement front sight and flash hider combo from Choate; this gives older Mini-14s and current production Ranch Models with the classic, rugged M1 Carbine-style front sight and a useful flash hider. Why a flash hider? Because Bill Clinton and Dianne Feinstein don’t want us to have them.

9. Aftermarket Magazines: $15 via Gun Mag Warehouse

Ten Ruger Mini-14/Thirty Accessories That Are Actually Worth the Money

Magazines for the Mini series of rifles are hit or miss, and mostly miss. But Thermold has been making aftermarket polymer magazines since before the 1994 Clinton AWB. Their magazines work and work very well, especially since they’re one of the only aftermarket manufacturers right now making both Mini-14 and Mini Thirty mags.

An equally functional, less expensive option is Tapco. While their first generation version had issues, The Gen II mags are good to go.

10. Accuracy Systems Extended Magazine Release: $30 via Brownells

Ten Ruger Mini-14/Thirty Accessories That Are Actually Worth the Money

Accuracy Systems offers an extended magazine release paddle that makes mag changed easier and faster. Just like the AK and Galil, Mini-14 and Thirty magazines are the “rock in” type and the extended release paddle makes it much easier.

Honorable Mentions

Sadly, Butler Creek recently ended production of their folding stock. I have one and it’s fantastic. Solid, rugged, and well-made. But they’re still out there, new in box if you look around.

Photography done by A. Valdes

Aimtech Second Sight Rail

Ten Ruger Mini-14/Thirty Accessories That Are Actually Worth the Money

The Second Sight series of Aimtech mounting systems for modern rifles is a no-nonsense, no-frill mounts are made of a solid bar of heat treated aluminum which has been precisely fitted Ruger Mini Series. Made for a number of rifles, it allows optics to be added while still being able to use the factory iron sights.

Falcon Arms /Ramline Wood Folding Stock

Ten Ruger Mini-14/Thirty Accessories That Are Actually Worth the Money

Back in the 1980s, Falcon Arms and Ramline made a folding stock that was as good as the factory Ruger made stock. Same locking design and the only different was it used standard AR-15 pistol grips. So it actually has something the factory folder doesn’t have.

Author’s Note: Ruger named the 7.62x39mm rifle as the Mini Thirty. They did not numerically spell it out with the numeral digits of of 30.

comments

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Could the title of this article possibly have been any more confusing?

Ten … 14 … Thirty

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Hi Luis,

Yeah, I know that Ruger makes a Mini-thirty rifle. Even thought I know that, I had to read the title two or three times to make sure I was understanding it correctly.

By the way my original comment is intended as comic relief — which I may have failed to accomplish.

2. avatar neiowa says:

Is this site now owned by the antigun leftist loons at amazon? If you’re linking to a product source link to a legitimate business.

1. avatar Steve says:

I know right? Three of these shameless ‘best of’ ad posts in three days… is one of the editors trying to scrap together money to close on a house, or something?

EDIT: Oh, I misspoke – there was four!

Crimson Trace
      AR-15 handguards
      9mm carbines
      Mini 14 parts

3. avatar el Possum Guapo Herr Standartenfuher" they think we're making pizza's" Oberst von Burn says:

My Mini14 came with factory flash hider. Used it once but it didn’t work, my cohort reported he could still see the flash( ha). Folding stock, I got a real nice one, it’s for sale. Ruger needs to lower their price to be competitive with the AR’s. As I see it the only advantage over an AR is for hunting as the Mimi’s are a little more easy to carry through brush and things of that nature.

1. avatar Jake Rogers says:

I dont know what half of your handle means but i like it

4. avatar Dave Lewis says:

My early vintage Mini 30 sits in a Choate side folder polymer stock. Works great. I see that Choate still lists a similar model for the Mini 14 but I’m not sure about the fit of the 14s vs 30s these days. I shoot my ARs more often but I never did buy an AK and I wanted something in the inventory that was chambered in 7.62×39.

5. avatar Spock says:

I hope the Butler Creek stock for the Mini 14 is better than they one they make for the 10/22. I bought one and I eventually threw it in the trash.

1. avatar Stephen M says:

Same with the one that came with the used 870 I bought. Using an aluminum block to screw a steel bolt into is just stupid. It stripped out after a couple good range sessions.

6. avatar Bloving says:

I’ll just say it. That Accu-Strut gives the mini a more authentic M14 look and I’ll want one just for that.
    🤠

1. avatar ColoradoKid says:

Price must have went up after the article was released…$170 now. I still like it though.

7. avatar Anonymous says:

I have a butler creek stainless steel folding stock – brand new. I have no idea what to do with it though. I don’t have a mini14/30.

8. avatar Docduracoat says:

Really the best thing about the Ruger Mini 14/30 is that they are often allowed in ban states
    The wood stock and no pistol grip is a traditional hunting look that slides under the radar and you can have a modern semi auto rifle even if they don’t want you to have one

1. avatar AZgunner says:

This is really the only reason to buy one in my opinion. They’re overpriced, accuracy is poor-marginal, magazines are expensive, and the ergonomics leave much to be desired compared to other modern rifles.

9. avatar Heartbreaker says:

The ATI stock is heavy, bulky, ugly and clunky. I regret buying one and it’s gathering dust in a box.

10. avatar sound awake says:

top 5 mini 14/mini 30 add ons that can all be had for the same or less than the total cost of all the silly items listed above by the author:

ar-15 upper receiver group with rail and flash hider

ar-15 lower receiver with stock kit

ar-15 lower parts kit

ar-15 magpul front and rear sights

ar-15 magpul 30 round magazine

this list represents the most comprehensive worthwhile and cost effective modifications that can be accomplished to maximize the performance of the mini 14/mini 30 platform

1. avatar Joel says:

EVERYTIME I go to a gun store, I pick up a mini and admire it, then put it back on the rack because an ugly plastic toy gun does the exact same thing, but better. For less. Sad really. I do like the way they look and feel.

11. avatar Anonymous says:

I love the ruger minis and the wood stock.

BUT, is there any benefit whatsoever, in choosing a mini over say – an AR15??? 20 years ago, a mini 14 was cheaper than an AR15. Definitely not today.

12. avatar Klaus says:

The first sentence is incorrect. The mini-30 wasn’t manufactured until 1986.

13. avatar Bryan says:

The Tech Sight is by far the best upgrade. Be nice if Ruger replaced their loose fitting POS rear sight with these as stock or at least as an option. The Tech Sights are also boss on a 10/22 and an SKS. Everything else (listed upgrades)is pretty much cosmetics.
    I tightened up my groups by shimming up the receiver in the stock. My mini 14 is in a stock synthetic stock. I made shims out of a aluminum can and stuck the shims in the stock receiver recesses with grease then installer the receiver over them. I have 3 shims on each side and it is a comfortable fit not a forced fit. I simply added shims to fill up the space. Think about that, 6 shims of coke can thickness of side to side play. I should have stated that my mini is the 580 series ranch purchased 5 or 6 years ago
    No charge for the info.

14. avatar =BCE56= says:

My early 189 series stainless Mini Thirty Ranch rifle seemed a bit pricey at the time, about 1/2 the current price. About the size and weight of an M1 Carbine in an effective caliber with less muzzle blast than the Mini 14. Less susceptible to gun-grabbers than the AR.
    Reliable with factory mags, aftermarket mags not so much.
    The flip-up rear sight seemed flimsy. I considered aftermarket fixed sights and scout mounts etc. but decided to use a Bushnell red dot in the factory rings instead. Accuracy is acceptable for general blasting with this setup. (It’s not a sniper rifle- there are other platforms for such use.)
    I looked at other upgrades by Clark and ASI: struts, barrels, muzzle devices and stocks and concluded significant improvements were not cost-effective.
    I did touch up the trigger group and checked the bedding of the wood stock.
    While I had it apart I stripped the factory brown finish and applied some Minwax Ebony stain and a couple coats of clear semigloss polyurethane. A significant cosmetic improvement IMO. I replaced the slippery plastic buttplate with an aftermarket steel plate.
    After that, I put it away for a while and concentrated on an AR also in 7.62X39.

Conclusions?
    The AR is more accurate but more complicated, perhaps a bit more reliable than the Mini, due mainly to the mags. Neither was built for high precision.
    The AR actually cost more than the Ruger because of the timing of my purchases. A similar AR built today would cost about the same as this Mini. A full-boat ASI custom Mini might run a couple grand. Worth it? Maybe for some.
    For sheer value an Eastern bloc SKS probably beats both of these carbines. I should have hung onto mine…