Florida Gun Owners Have Until September 30 to Get Rid of Their Bump Stocks

Effective October 1, any Floridian in possession of a bump fire stock or similar accessory commits a third degree felony thanks to the capitulation of Governor Rick Scott and the Florida Republican Party.

§790.222 Bump-fire stocks prohibited — A person may not import into this state or transfer, distribute, sell, keep for sale, offer for sale, possess, or give to another person a bump-fire stock. A person who violates this section commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. As used in this section, the term “bump-fire stock” means a conversion kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device used to alter the rate of fire of a firearm to mimic automatic weapon fire or which is used to increase the rate of fire to a faster rate than is possible for a person to fire such semiautomatic firearm unassisted by a kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device.

Reading the bolded portion of Statute 790.222 isn’t exactly comforting. It’s so vaguely worded that it could mean just about anything (including a rubber band). A list of just some of the accessories that can accelerate the rate of fire of a semi-automatic rifle without converting it to a machine gun includes:

Bump stocks
Crank fire devices
Binary triggers
3-gun triggers (Geissele and LaRue, among others, make a wide variety)
Lightweight bolt carrier groups
Buffer springs and different buffer weights
Adjustable Gas blocks
Registered Lightening Link (the host remains semi, the LL is the MG)
Registered DIAS (the host remains semi, the RDIAS is the MG)
Registered HK sears and trigger packs (the host remains semi, the sear or pack is the MG)
Registered FNC sears (the host remains semi, the sear is the MG)

The new law will infringe on the rights of thousands of otherwise law-abiding Floridians. I am personally affected by this. I owned a first generation SlideFire Solutions bump fire stock for my AR-15s for years. And somehow I never broke the law.

I purchased it as a range toy when they first came out in 2012 and have used it off and on throughout the years. But that’s now a thing of the past. I have it stashed on the other side of the border in Georgia outside of the Florida gun-grabbers’ jurisdiction.

Vermont gun owners are experiencing a similar situation. In a statement to Vermont Public Radio; State Police Capt. Timothy Clouatre said residents can turn in their newly-outlawed devices in to any Vermont State Police barracks.

The only thing we ask is that people don’t show up at a barracks with a weapon itself, but just the bump-fire stock removed from the weapon. And they can turn that in anonymously and voluntarily, Monday through Friday between 8 and 4.

A person who violates this section shall be in prison not more than a year and fined $1,000, or both. Right now, voluntary compliance is the preferred method, and like I said, we want to give people the option and the means to do this.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement hasn’t given Floridians that option. Currently, a lawsuit is in play due to the vague language of the law and the fact that the Florida constitution bars the state from taking private property “except for a public person and with full compensation therefore paid to each owner.”

The bump stock ban law’s author, Senate President Bill Galvano (R) says that he stands by the law.

I have made a cursory review of the suit and continue to support the ban. At the end of the day, these devices turn semi-automatic rifles into machine guns. A policy decision consistent with the authority of the state has been made that this is not acceptable.

No word has come down from FDLE yet on what how Sunshine Staters should handle the October 1 deadline due to the pending suit. All that’s known for sure at this point is that if you still possess one of the above items when the clock strikes midnight on September 30, you risk arrest, a fine and possibly imprisonment. Not to mention the loss of your Second Amendment rights.

comments

1. avatar rc says:

Well, at least now that bump stocks are banned Florida, gun crime is now a thing of the past /sarc

1. avatar John says:

I am a cop in FL and you are absolutely right. Since they passed the law, without it even being enforced yet, violent crimes are a thing of the past. Gun control is amazing. Thank you Scott.

1. avatar Bearpaw says:

I have a friend who is wondering if bump stocks float?

1. avatar Elmer Keith FUDD says:

They sink. I lost mine overboard just yesterday.

2. avatar Michael says:

Wow!, this must be challenged, Did the ATF outlaw bump stocks Or am I just living In Kansas, watching the Wicked Witch of the West flying through a Tornado storm?

2. avatar Michael says:

I Live in NV, and I will keep mine and my Franklin Armory Binary Lower too. FL has no power over the Fed Firearm Owners Protection Act does cover all accessories. Protection at in Commerce Axt. Until Congress tries. AS CAlif has done, it is becoming its own constitutional Nightmare.The straight skinny on the

Firearms Owners’ Protection Act (FOPA) Posted on their website; NRA-ILA 2011
      the law that saved gun rights
      Nearly a quarter century ago, the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act was signed into law.
      Looking back, it seems like an impossible victory.
      by Dave Hardy

3. avatar frank speak says:

hide them well, floridians…and forget about compliance….

2. avatar Roy says:

Good riddance.

1. avatar Kenneth Stephens says:

So are you saying good riddance to Florida or the bump stocks?

1. avatar Roy says:

Bump stocks. If we could be rid of Florida as well, I would be eternally grateful.

1. avatar New Continental Army says:

If it can happen to Florida it can happen to your state too. Where do you think all these liberals are going to flee to once they’ve ruined Florida? Get ready because they’ll be next door to you soon too. Domino theory was right all along. If we would’ve continued to fight them in NY and CA we wouldn’t be fighting them in FL and TX now.

2. avatar Just Sayin says:

Dear Roy,
          Well bless your heart…
          Aren’t you special

3. avatar Cz Rider says:

Hey look, it’s a great example of the kind of person who got Florida into this mess with their selfish apathy. I hope nobody lifts a finger when the left-wing feelz brigade rolls up demanding something you actually care about.

4. avatar Bump bump says:

Please say that to the thousands of morons from NY, NJ, Boston, IL, and of course Canada. They are already giving us nightmares when they are daydreaming in the left lane on a busy interstate. You are right, FL sucks, please stay home!

5. avatar Coyote says:

New Continental Army is correct. I remember years ago “nah don’t worry you only find them in Charlotte, Atlanta, Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Houston…”. Fast forward in 2018 and you find them in much smaller towns all over FL. Anywhere there is the beach, malls, and housing available you have them there working hard to make FL as stressing as the libtard state they used to call home.

6. avatar Truckman says:

I live in north FL. born and raised in this state and am proud to be from here the problem we have in Fl. is all the people that are here from other states and countrys if they would just come here for vacation would be great but no these Damm people come here and want to change our ways to there ways and A lot of us are tired of that Now as far as the bump stocks I have never owned one or realy wanted one same thing as a AR the only way I would have one is it is set up for 7.62×39 or 7.62×51[308] but I already have a AK and SKS that I use for deer hunting and if need something bigger will pull out old 30 06 but the Bump Stocks if somebody wants one dont bother me because on eather the Ar or AK if you try and put to many rounds thru them they will fail after a while without cooldown time

2. avatar New Continental Army says:

Let me guess, you don’t care because you don’t own one? That’s fine. By the time they come for what you do have, there won’t be any of us left to help you….

Or we’ll have won. I like that option better. No thanks to people like you however.

1. avatar Roy says:

I’m glad to see them getting banned because they’re fucking stupid toys for the kind of jackasses I see at the range who shouldn’t be allowed within arm’s length of a firearm. Bump stocks aren’t a hill worth dying upon. Gun control people get to feel like they’ve done something and in the process we’ve lost exactly nothing. So yeah, good riddance.
        If your feelings are hurt because bump stocks are getting taken away, I’m guessing you’re one of those jackasses I’m talking about.

1. avatar New Continental Army says:

Oh wow. You’re a real beauty. I’m gonns throe this out there and guess your the kinda guy that goes to the range and bitches about too much shooting, or goes to a bar a bitches about loud music and drinking. Or the one that bitches about 30 round mags and thingys that go up. Just do yourself a favor and become the democrat you want to be.

2. avatar New Continental Army says:

Oh wow. You’re a real beauty. I’m gonna throw this out there and guess your the kinda guy that goes to the range and b*tches like a little girl about too much shooting, or goes to a bar and cries about loud music and drinking. Or the one that is willing to take it up the ass on 30 round mags and thingys that go up. Just do yourself a favor and become the democrat you want to be.

3. avatar Danny L Griffin says:

Roy, so you’re glad that $250 Geissele precision triggers are banned?

4. avatar darkstar says:

Assinine comment. I, myself see no particular need for a bump stock but as much as I don’t want one or really give a damn about them I will support those that like them, and abhor stupid feel good legislation enacted upon because of them. I simply don’t understand why supposed “gun” people have this thought process. Oh we are giving up nothing (that matters to me) so I’m okay with it. Fool. You think they will stop at this? Pretty soon it’s your walnut stock, blued Rem 700 they’re gonna be after, and then what? Look at the bigger picture before it’s too late.

5. avatar Erik Weisz says:

Not reading the article and it’s list of accessories that the bill applies to is what makes you far worse than just a jackass. This isn’t about bump-stocks, you moronic fudd, it’s about incrementalism – which is how we lose all our rights.
          What SHOULD be regulated are these sketchy home-medical exam kits that enable idiots like you give themselves a colonoscopy with a pair of reading glasses.

6. avatar Opossum not so guapo says:

I have never seen anyone using a bump stock at a gun range in FL. I go to the range frequently.
          As far as people with safety issues and/or lack of common sense and maturity, there are several ways to handle it. You may intervene, some people understand when they are politely educated, some may need to be warned or simply kicked out and that’s when you can report the issue to the range safety officer. If nothing is done and you don’t feel safe, well I don’t live in the most crowded part of FL, yet I have 4 ranges located 5 to 30 minutes away from my residence.
          I have never considered obtaining or using a bump stock, however as little as it may seem for some it is one more step against the 2A in the Sunshine State. Your logic makes me feel uncomfortable, you resonate a bit like some gun grabbers and neo marxists in our nation “if I don’t like it you have no need for it and the government should ban it”.

7. avatar ACP_armed says:

It’s not a hill, it’s a door to banning semiautomatic long guns.

8. avatar John in AK says:

Now, Roy, please just show us on the dolly where the Evil Bump Stock touched you.

Oh, you can’t? A simple plastic-and-steel device has done NOTHING to you personally, and the thousands already sold have done NOTHING since 2012 except for one instance where a deranged monster killed people with one (and not very efficiently, either. . .). But, because YOU don’t like them, it’s OK to ban them, and that makes you self-righteously overjoyed.

But, what is next? The rifles upon which they were mounted, of course. After all, a ‘bumpstock’ doesn’t fire cartridges; It just SITS there! Oh, yes, it’s the RIFLE that shoots those bullets. . . so, why not go for the rifle, as well? What makes more sense–banning the software, or banning the hardware?

I won’t bother to carry this theme further, as it would be a wasted effort. Just remember that the End Game requires coming for YOUR favorite firearm, for one simple reason: Whatever it is, it shoots those bullet things, and that is sufficient to warrant its condemnation and seizure.

You just sit back, relax, and bask in your short-term self-righteous complacency–until ‘they’ come for YOU.

9. avatar JD says:

Roy, you are as bright as a 2 watt bulb. What a fucking moron.

10. avatar Matt says:

Listen up Roy,
          Do you honestly think that banning a piece of plastic is going to do anything to smooth the violence occurred from guns. What’s next on your hopeful agenda.
          Here’s the deal. I have NEVER nor have I ever given any thought to owning a bump stock. For me it was an impractical addition to an AR. But that was just my take on them. If I want to up the rate on ANY simi rifle I’ll use a rubber band, hairtie, betl loop, and the list goes on. So what’s the answer if I’m out at rhe range and my hair is tied back ,plus I have a spare hair tie in my pocket. Have I now committed a crime because it could be hooked up to the trigger in seconds and have a faster rate of fire.
          Here’s the deal, You have every right to your beliefs. It’s when you push your agenda on others that’s the problem. You and all your cronnies need to think on that one.
          Bottom line here is, just because I have no Want for one doesn’t mean they need to be band. For me it’s preference. To those who owned them is preference. Lets say out of a million are on the street. Maybe 20 of them will be turned in. The others went down when they were fishing. In other words they lost a boat, fishing gear and a bumpstock to boot when the boat sank.

11. avatar frank speak says:

well,..you won’t be seeing them on the range anymore…

12. avatar Slider says:

Oh Roy…I just wanted to say you should accept what New Continental Army said, take a look in the mirror, and reevaluate your stance on the issue. After going full left, what’s next for you…safe spaces?

3. avatar Stateisevil says:

The Florida GOP is bought and paid for by Michael Bloomberg. They are scumbags and I’m not voting for Rick Scott for Senate.

1. avatar FedUp says:

Unfortunately, this month’s shitshow in the Senate has convinced me that I’d even vote for that POS Scott to keep Dem numbers down in the Senate.

If I lived in Florida, I’d probably take a slidefire stock to the governor’s office next month and ask if I could see Skeletor in person. As in “Hey, pRick, shove this up your freedom hating ass”.

2. avatar Bob Jones says:

Then you will be turning in your semi-auto and pump guns this time next year as the new democrat Senate and House of Representatives ban their possession next spring. Don’t expect any compensation either as SCOTUS will go democrat too. Permanently.

Cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face is NEVER smart.

The only thing worse than voting for Scott is NOT voting for him.

3. avatar Terry Story says:

And the alternative is???

4. avatar Draven says:

so, another gun control law passed with no thought on how to implement it? this is my surprised face 😐

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

“so, another gun control law passed with no thought on how to implement it?”

It will be implemented arbitrarily, when the prosecutor wants to.

And that’s just how prosecutors like it…

1. avatar John in AK says:

Yes, it is.

More often than not, all that is necessary to strike fear into the Masses and to ensure their cooperation is to select one of them for ‘special treatment.’ Prosecute one otherwise-innocent man for Possession of Bumpstock, convict, fine, and imprison him, with suitable public panoply and grim determination to make a good example of him ‘pour encourager les autres,’ and the Masses tend to fall into line.

‘Tis a sick world in which we live.

5. avatar Texican says:

Good thing Jerry Miculek isn’t from FL!

1. avatar anonymoose says:

The man is a walking WMD. He’s gonna have to get ATF approval every time he crosses state lines to visit Reed Knight.

6. avatar Francis says:

Now only criminals will have rubber bands, thumbs and belt loops in Floriduh.

7. avatar Higgs says:

He is human, And an argument came be made that he shoots as fast as a bumpstop. This fact negates the effect of the law.

I know it would probably not stand up in court but my hope is to pop some veins in liberal foreheads with this comment.

1. avatar Mater says:

I saw that too so you can keep it as lomg as you can fire faster without it?

8. avatar Mark C says:

September has 30 days.

1. avatar Francis says:

They must be referring to the months with a high capacity number of days.

2. avatar Cz Rider says:

30 days in the month and one in the chamber?

9. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

‘Florida Gun Owners Have Until September 31…’

Well that basically means they don’t have to get rid of them because September 31 will never come!

1. avatar Leighton Cavendish says:

I love that logic…

10. avatar Slim says:

These nonsense laws are gonna start being heard by the scotus.

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

“These nonsense laws are gonna start being heard by the scotus.”

That looks promising, provided we get Kavanaugh confirmed and seated.

But thanks to the Leftists throwing a wrench in the works with their little scam, we may not get him.

All they have to do is peel off a few votes and they can block him.

I have a SCOTUS question for legal folks –

Can an associate justice be seated at any time? They’re trying to delay seating him until after the next session begins. Can a justice start work after the next session begins? Or must he wait until next year?

1. avatar Adam Warlock says:

An associate justice can start at any time. What the Dems are trying to do is delay the confirmation vote until after the November elections hoping control of the Senate will flip in their favor.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

In which case they’ll delay it until doomsday.

2. avatar Angry Az says:

Kavanaugh needs to be rammed down their throats like gay marriage….. Trump 2020

11. avatar jwm says:

Welcome to CA.

1. avatar anonymoose says:

Hey, at least it’s not MA.

12. avatar MLee says:

I understand the arguments, including not giving any ground to the gun grabbers, but honestly, bump stocks are a damn joke anyway.

1. avatar ‘liljoe says:

Yes, a joke they may be, but they are something people own legally, have paid money for and are private property… should the government be allowed to Willy nilly ban random items you own that have no effect on public safety?

This isn’t about bump stocks, has never been, it’s about government overrreach and when do we say enough is enough!

1. avatar Francis says:

I agree, all a joke until they start calling for a ban on red dots, laser sights, non-flammable tracer rounds, lead ammo… in fact wasn’t the joke on the POTG when they banned bayonet lugs, muzzle devices, folding stocks, heat shields and other devices? There are now leading physicians calling for banning modern firearm optics… look up the editor of military medicine who goes by the nick name of “Trip” who is a retired colonel army physician who supports banning all kinds of firearm accessories from civilian ownership.

2. avatar Danny L Griffin says:

MLee, how would you feel if you paid $250 for a precision Geissele trigger for your hunting or competition rifle and now the government made you a felon? As liljoe stated, this is about government overreach.

How would you feel if the government took your house for a shopping mall or parking garage and refused to pay you its fair value? Just took it, evicted you, and said you were SOL. People don’t like it even when the government DOES pay the fair value.

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

“…how would you feel if you paid $250 for a precision Geissele trigger for your hunting or competition rifle and now the government made you a felon?”

Has anyone tried to get a determination letter from the BATF explicitly stating if drop-in triggers like the Geissele are illegal under the new law?

1. avatar Cz Rider says:

These are state laws so BATFE probably wouldn’t care either way. They’ve been awful quiet about the federal version of this nonsense though.

2. avatar MLee says:

Well, I do own an Arsenal SAM7R. I had Rifle Dynamics trick out a G2 for it. It’s sweet and possible tomorrow, I may go buy a .300 blk AR pistol. I live in Washington State. Could they outlaw some of this stuff? Certainly possible and you know what I’m going to do if they did? Not a damn thing. They can kiss my ass.

3. avatar FedUp says:

Danny, how would you feel if a Judge ordered you out of your house and gave it to the guy you just had arrested for breaking in?

1. avatar Danny L Griffin says:

That’s messed up!

3. avatar Francis says:

A joke until they start banning any rifle with a “takedown” feature, because you know those things wake it easier for criminals to do you know whatever…

4. avatar New Continental Army says:

I remember when this line of thought was projected on ARs….

13. avatar Danny L Griffin says:

So Florida allows real machine guns but not bump stocks or binary triggers. Brilliant. Some of our legislators need to go (I am not from Florida, but still…)

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Unless the machine gun is through a RDIAS or registered lightening link.
      It makes no sense.

2. avatar Sian says:

The wording is vague enough that I feel it could affect my competition shotguns, as they have triggers modified for very fast action.

Sure nobody is asking that they be turned in, YET, but with the law’s wording, how can I be sure that someone won’t take a more generous interpretation of it later, and scoop up all firearms with aftermarket parts in the action? It can happen.

Not to mention that it’s stupid to ban a plastic accessory that does not change the functionality of the firearm at all.

1. avatar Cz Rider says:

The law is vague enough that you could potentially make a case against someone for cleaning their bolt-action rifle, because the reduced friction afterward will allow them to fire the rifle very slightly faster. Then again, you could also argue that a bump stock doesn’t actually affect the cyclic rate of the and so nothing is banned. The rate of fire of automatic weapons varies enough to weasel into or out of that one as well.

Unconstitutional vagueness, anyone?

3. avatar Chris T from KY says:

The rich will always have their machine guns. But the poor or people would not enough money are not allowed to have a rapid-fire weapon. Gun control it is also about controlling economic classes of people as well.

It was after Los Vegas where I noticed on TTAG so many people who were so willing and happy to Outlaw the bump stock. The gun Community is full of frauds/ FUDDs.

14. avatar Cooter E Lee says:

If for some reason you’re enough a pushover to comply, I would request you NOT turn it into police. Just throw it away in the trash, or better yet give it to someone in a free state to hold for you.

I want a news story about how some ridiculous amount (7 is a good amount) were turned in statewide after a 6 month period.

15. avatar Leighton Cavendish says:

and how many will be stored in the safe or attic or trunk…for when the laws get turned back around at some point?

16. avatar Anthony says:

Unbelievable Florida is one of the only states that allows you to purchase and own a real machine gun so this law really don’t make sense, Politicians have no idea what they are doing let alone trying to take our 2nd Amendments Rights away more and more everyday ! Just to let our politicians in Florida know that when you outlaw our guns then we become the outlaws, FYI there are more gun owners then there are politicians !

1. avatar frank speak says:

more than half the states permit legal ownership..[subject to federal registration]..of machine guns…

17. avatar Leighton Cavendish says:

Off topic, but anyone else out there find it funny that a company like Kimber can make revolvers and semi-auto pistols in New York city that it can’t even sell in NYC?

1. avatar el Possum Guapo Herr Standartenfuher "they think we're making pizza's" Oberst von Burn says:

There’s a bunch, S&W comes to mind, ironicatbest.

18. avatar Chip in Florida says:

Bump stocks? No. I lost it last spring in a terrible boating accident.

1. avatar ‘liljoe says:

No! No spring In the bump stock, that turns it into a machine gun!

19. avatar Fudds Mckenzie says:

Oh no, I hope they get to bump one last time to say goodbye.

20. avatar el Possum Guapo Herr Standartenfuher" they think we're making pizza's" Oberst von Burn says:

State Officer, driving a Chevy Impala with a pink ribbon and a “Studs” strip joint bumper sticker. Oh okay, I’m watching out for that guy.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

I think that’s “suds”, but I do wonder what’s up with bumper stickers on a state car!

1. avatar Eric in Oregon says:

Looks appropriate, zoom in and see the ribbon is MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) and SUDS is “Stop Underage Drinking and Sales”.

21. avatar Defens says:

The truly sad thing about these ridiculous laws – bump stock bans, universal background checks, etc. – is that they have pushed formerly “lawful gun owners” into a corner. As a rule, POTG put up with gun laws that weren’t too onerous or inconvenient. We put up with signing for pistol ammo, even with the “evil features” laws.

Now that the anti-gunners have shown their true stripes for everyone, non-compliance has become a big factor. Look at the massive noncompliance with the NY SAFE act. And it will only get worse, and more egregious. Ban “ghost guns”? Watch how the number of people building their own will increase – where just a relatively few hobbyists built their own before.

AND – if you’re threatened with a felony conviction for something as innocent as owning a bump stock, or letting a hunting buddy borrow a rifle (in violation of Washington State law) without going through a background check, well then heck – why bother getting a Form 1 to build your own suppressor, SBR or DIAS? All of these laws are Malum Prohibitum anyway, and its only because POTG respected the rule of law before that we paid any attention to these laws. Now that the law has become downright decadent, our respect will continue to deteriorate.

1. avatar New Continental Army says:

Yep. They’ll find that prohibition has a historically poor record in the US.

22. avatar Sian says:

I expect nearly a dozen will actually be turned in.

23. avatar New Continental Army says:

I live in FL, I don’t have one. I always thought they were a gimmick, but that’s not the point. But if I did I would not comply. There’s some things in life I just won’t stand there and take. And the government taking my lawfully owned property, guns or not, isn’t one I’m ever going to submit to.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Are they personally notifying every citizen of the state, and every visitor, of this new and stupid law? Why should someone visiting from Texas know about such a stupid and clearly unconstitutional state law? How in hell do they think they are going to enforce this?

1. avatar Danny L Griffin says:

Well, for example cops in NY and NJ and MD don’t care if you don’t know that your PA pistol carry license is no good there. They will still arrest you, confiscate your pistol, and throw you in jail. So same way with Florida on bump stocks I guess.

True, it is not hard to find out which states honor your pistol license, but people get arrested for that all the time because they didn’t know.

24. avatar Chris T from KY says:

I know it will hurt president Trump but I really do hope and pray that Rick Scott loses his election to the Senate. Anyone who doesn’t support civil rights and betrays the cause deserves to lose

1. avatar doesky2 says:

That’s F’ing grade school thinking.
      The time to take Scott out was in the primary.
      Defeating Scott at the national election means possibly losing the Senate and scotus judges like gorsuch/kavenaugh.
      Don’t be a putz.

2. avatar Ed says:

Why would you ever want another six years of Bill Nelson?

25. avatar MAGA says:

Question: How do they KNOW if you have one?

They will likely have a repeat of the NY an NJ assault weapons bans, where everyone hid their AR-15s and didn’t comply.

It’s all on the honor system with unserialized accessories.

1. avatar John in AK says:

The answer is, they won’t. That is, they won’t until some other factor precipitates its discovery.

A burglary of your home, for one–yours gets stolen and later recovered, or is discovered during the investigation. A domestic disturbance or assault, for two–evidence of the ‘crime,’ seizure of the ‘evidence,’ court-required confiscation of all weapons. Any suspected crime for which a search warrant could be issued for your property or vehicle. A random traffic stop where the drug dog ‘alerts’ on your car, even though you’ve never had so much as a rhododendron in the trunk. A garbage man who saw the package for the device in your trash. The neighbor who saw you bring it home. The gun range guy or other shooter who saw you with one. The store where you bought it on your credit card. The random ex-girlfriend or ex-wife who swears that you own one.

Deny it as much as you wish; Claim that it was stolen, destroyed, lost in a boating tragedy. It doesn’t matter; Probable cause now exists for a Liberal judge to issue a search warrant to find out if you’re telling the truth or not.

Sweet dreams. . .

2. avatar frank speak says:

there are ways…but that usually means going after sales records…like direct tv did a while back…doubt they’ll bother…

26. avatar neiowa says:

United States Constitution forbids the passage of ex post facto criminal laws, on the principle that it is wrong to punish an act which was not illegal when committed

1. avatar RMS1911 says:

On the state and federal level.

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

“OK, so, when did you buy this?” “I don’t recall.”

3. avatar SShink says:

Thank you!
      This is the real crux of the matter.
      This law and other all other laws that force citizens to give-up property that was previously legally owned is unconstitutional…PERIOD, END OF DISCUSSION

27. avatar Wood says:

Take a long walk off a short pier, Rick Scott. I will be voting for Nelson in November.

1. avatar doesky2 says:

Imbecile.

1. avatar Wood says:

Nerf herder.

28. avatar former water walker says:

Golly now you Floriduh denizens know how us Illinoisans feel. Good luck-you’ll need it.

29. avatar Jay in Floriduhhh says:

Hi FDLE!!!!!
    You might see if I own any of the above when and if I open my door……………….Otherwise GTH…………..

30. avatar ButtMunch says:

So, just how close is the time to start shooting these tyrants?

1. avatar Maverick says:

AHHH, Hey BUTTMUNCH:… I hope You wish you could take this comment back, as I think You need to stop write this crap down….
      BUTT Yeah, IF they’re at your door, it’s Already TOO Late.

1. avatar Jay in Floridaduh says:

As I dont own any of these devices. If the popoes did come a knocking here at my door. I might try to do some damages. I doubt Id go passively. It’s thieft by decree. I wouldn’t take that on its face values from anyone.

31. avatar Nanashi says:

Thanks Marrion Hammer! Thanks Wayne LaPierre!

32. avatar Sora says:

Vote on the next NRA board. Give them $35-50 a year to keep membership and then vote to kick out LaPierre.

I also voted against Rick Scott in Primary to send him a message. Also to kicked out people who voted for the 18-21 gun ban in FL. Even if Rick Scott got nominated, he’d see how many percent he lost in primary to know what he did was not good for his votes.

1. avatar frank speak says:

white kids got shot in an upscale district…that’s usually enough to motivate lawmakers…

33. avatar Maverick says:

HUMMM… Just Wonderful…. These Friggin’ people… Inch by inch, step by step, they will never stop take our Rights away…. WTH… WE Need to ban together to fight these things, IMHO: Starting with MASS Mailings and NOT stopping Mass Mailings!
    Is this wonderful State going to reimburse you/us the money we paid for them? (I do NOT own one BUT This Pisses Me OFF)
    I’m guessing these cost acouple hundred bucks?

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

I’ve seen them for $450. Couldn’t believe it, but saw it. Look at one, play with it, and you’d probably guess around $100.

1. avatar frank speak says:

$99…but that was before the hysteria….

34. avatar bryan1980 says:

Three words: Do not comply.

35. avatar Will says:

A third degree felony. For the crime of Having a Scary Thing. Really thought Florida was better than that.

36. avatar Geoff says:

Will everyone with an AR15 or AK47 have to turn in their trigger finger?

1. avatar frank speak says:

no,..but if that video gets widespread circulation they’ll be coming after the guns themselves!….

37. avatar Rob says:

No one is going to listen to this trash law. How will they enforce it? The moment they do I hope its a social media sauvy individual who lets everyone know as they hold up in their house waiting for support. Maybe this will lead to another Bundy Ranch confrontation where hundreds of law abiding citizens show up to defend thier rights. Politicians think they can tax and pass laws as they please. As if they know better than us peasants. Lets get this shit going….Im tired of the slow theft of our rights and hard earned dollars. A new America born from the ashes of corruption…..lol. Damn Im going to miss 24/7 electricity when this shit gets started!

1. avatar Icabod says:

The New York SAFE ACT required registration of “assault rifles.” After a few years attempts were made to discover how well the registration was doing. A FOIA was refused, which lead to a 2 year court case. Finally the information was obtained:
      “Based on an estimate from the National Shooting Sports Federation, about 1 million firearms in New York State meet the law’s assault-weapon criteria, but just 44,000 have been registered. That’s a compliance rate of about 4 percent.”
      Pistols are a bit better, sort of:
      “Jan. 31, 2018 was the deadline for New York State pistol permit holders who received their permit before Jan. 15, 2013 to recertify as required by the New York State SAFE Act. According to NPR, approximately 81,000, or 20 percent, of the affected pistol permit holders failed to contact the state by the deadline. Those who fail to recertify their permits risk having their permits revoked.”

Washington State passed a 2014 law that required universal background checks. While gun grabbers bleat that 50 people were stopped from purchasing a gun, none have been charged. In fact the only person that’s been charged actually told Police he’d sold the gun. Two problems: they can’t find the gun and they can’t find the man.

1. avatar frank speak says:

laws like this are largely based on bluff and bluster….just say “NO”……

38. avatar David Laidig says:

The article is deceptive. You don’t have to be a gun owner to own a “bumpski”. Bwaaaaaa

39. avatar racer88 says:

Next it will be lasers, red dots, scopes, and night sights. Watch. The media alluded to it after the Jacksonville video game tournament shooting. “He used a laser!”

Also coming…. “sniper rifles.” “Nobody needs a sniper rifle.” Precision bolt-action guns with scopes will be targeted by the antis. Soon. Watch.

1. avatar Danny L Griffin says:

In 1995 (or early ’96) the .gov (fed) Democrats tried outlawing sniper rifles. The definition was so broad it actually outlawed most big game rifles, including bolt action. I think you are correct, they’ll try again in the future.

40. avatar Jean-Claude says:

Florida is doomed. There’s a really good chance Gillum wins the governor’s race, if he doesn’t come across as either a brain-damaged idiot or a radical Communist. And then there’s only a good chance. The Democrat/George Soros workers will be out in force in the ghetto. That’s why the push to give felons the right to vote. If they can get felons registered, there will never be another Republican governor in Florida.

The horde of Puerto Ricans which has spread to all corners of the state aren’t going to vote Republican. The thousands of Venezuelans who have fled here aren’t going to vote Republican. The Yankees who move here don’t vote Republican. The old Jews who move to South Florida aren’t going to vote Republican. And the blacks aren’t going to vote Republican. Gillum supports legalization of marijuana. Think THAT isn’t going to motivate people to vote for him? There are a lot of stoners in Florida who are single issue voters. Granted, the stoners aren’t as motivated to vote as gun owners, but they do vote. And if Gillum declares his support for legalization, if he makes that one of his core promises, stoners will turn out. As will almost anyone who ever smoked marijuana ever.

The Republicans are doing everything they can to screw this up. Pissing off gun owners. Allowing mass immigration of foreigners who won’t vote for them. Not squashing this “restore felon’s voting rights” nonsense.

If Gillum wins, you’ll have a rabidly anti-gun governor dealing with a proven sell-out Legislature. Florida could be New Jersey in four years. Like “turn in your AR and your Glock 19” oppressive.

Utah is looking better and better. And all those Rocky Mountain states should only allow immigration from concealed carry permit holders.

41. avatar Jon says:

I don’t even have a jaywalking ticket. I obey all gun laws. But if I own one. I surly wouldn’t comply. We gun owners having given up enough. Time to drain the swamp. Thank you anti-gun an crooked politician for making more unconstitutional laws that thugs don’t obey any laws anyway. So that being said. Keep making good folks disarm an less rights to their US Constitution Rights. And making them easier targets. But hey. At least the thugs will be safer. And we all know they will comply an obey all laws. Make sense. Fucking NaziAmerican.

42. avatar SShink says:

Ex post facto laws retroactively change the rules of evidence in a criminal case, retroactively alter the definition of a crime, retroactively increase the punishment for a criminal act, or punish conduct that was legal when committed.

They are prohibited by Article I, Section 10, Clause 1, of the U.S. Constitution…
    No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

1. avatar frank speak says:

sounds good…except they’re not listening!…

43. avatar Taz says:

The definition:
    This law needs to be challenged on the basis that any gun accessory (external) does not allow the gun to be fired faster that an experienced shooting using his finger to “bump fire”. The only thing it really does is limit the use of some springs, buffer weights, sears etc. although this is a bummer, once again in trying to be specific, they removed virtually all the items they were trying to ban.

This also wouldn’t effect 80% builds if they were originally built with the parts.

This is also an “Ex Post Facto Law” . That make prior possession legal and can not be changed retro.

While those in Florida work to repeal this law and replace those to pushed it through, take advantage of their ignorance. If they really knew anything about guns they would have written the law differently.

44. avatar Doug Rebertus says:

So, Gov. Scott is just another RINO.

45. avatar Bruce Clark says:

I’m from Florida and I couldn’t give a rats ass. I don’t own a bumpstock nor have I ever seen the need to own one. 10 cents worth of plastic for $150+ dollars, sounds like a deal to me. And I can’t see how not being able to own one is in any way infringing on my 2nd Amendment rights.

1. avatar Danny L Griffin says:

Bruce Clark, how about a precision trigger like a Geissele or LaRue? Does that infringe on your rights?

How about an adjustable gas block to reduce recoil, allow your gun to run cooler, or to tune your rifle for different ammunition, internals, or suppressors? Does that infringe on your rights?

2. avatar Wood says:

The damned bump stock itself is irrelevant. The ban however, is a step in the master plan of total infringement. For now we’re dealing in principle; eventually they’ll come for your tube fed lever-gun and your falling block black powder target rifle.

Then we’ll all be eating soylent green.

46. avatar TomC says:

Interestingly the Florida law actually provides a standard — which is omitted in most of the “bump stock ban” laws that have been proposed elsewhere.

To be illegal the device must “increase the rate of fire to a faster rate than is possible for a person to fire such semiautomatic firearm unassisted by a kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device.” — It would be interesting to see someone defend against being charged under this law by demonstrating that they can fire the gun faster WITHOUT the bump stock or other device.

I’ve seen plenty of competition shooters who can easily outpace or at least match the rate of fire of a bump stock.

However any Florida residents who currently own bump stocks or other “devices” they feel would be covered by this law are welcome to ship them to me for safekeeping (of course, all such shipments must leave Florida prior to October 1st)

47. avatar Steven says:

Unfortunately, I do not live in Senate President Bill Galvano (R) district to vote him out of office. Also unfortunate, there are getting to be just too many RINOs in the Republican party. And since almost all incumbents don’t get challenged, I’m almost to the point of voting in some Democrats (At least they have the balls to stand up for something even if it’s wrong) so during the election after that we can actually get real Republicans to run for the seat. Because anyone who would be proud of this bill absolutely needs to go.