Situational Awareness: Everyday Carry Pocket Dump of the Day

GLOCK 43 EDC Everydaycarry.com Everyday Carry

This pocket dump is courtesy of Will Duncan of Murfreesboro, TN. It includes a GLOCK 43 with a Taran Tactical mag extension and a Spyderco knife. But perhaps the most attention-grabbing item is the BeatsX Wireless In-Ear headphones. What do you think about wearing headphones while going about your day as it relates to situational awareness?

comments

1. avatar el Possum Guapo Herr Standartenfuher "they think we're making pizza'"Oberst von Burn says:

I think it’s dumb

2. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

“What do you think about wearing headphones while going about your day as it relates to situational awareness?”

It depends on where I am and what I am doing, frankly. I don’t listen when riding my bike, for example…

1. avatar Joel says:

On our local trail system, I’m always riding up on runners, walkers, and other mountain bikers who are lost in their own world, earbuds in. Completely unaware of what’s happening around them.

What I want badly, (and will soon need) are the Bluetooth, in ear, hearing aids that also suppress gunshots and other loud noises, while also connecting to your cell phone. Those are cool.

1. avatar SpeleoFool says:

Those have just officially landed on my shopping list as well. Pro Ears makes some. I have (and love) their electronic muffs, but hate the ABS headbands for their awful durability in the desert.

I just recently got some CIEMs for music, and OMG the comfort! And they are superb at blocking external sound. Add in the superhuman hearing factor, with the bonus ability to stream my own life soundtrack, and I’d never want to take them out. Nothing says “prepared for self defense” like “my ear pro is already in.”

3. avatar DrewR says:

Must be tough carrying the cutting board around all day.

Headphones are for secure areas only IMO, home, restricted access work areas, maybe a members only gym with a key card or password to get in. That’s about all I can think of.

4. avatar cj says:

only in a secure environment such as home and indoors at work. I never walk around in public with them on or drive around in a vehicle… just me…..

5. avatar Hannibal says:

I wear em a lot when exercising. If I’m on a mountain bike or something else where I need to hear if someone is coming up behind me, I wear one and leave the other out.

They’re sometimes useful in public to broadcast “I’m not interested in talking to you, strange person” even when not connected to sound although it depends on context (well-lit supermarket, good- dark sidewalk in sketchy area, bad). People still try to make small talk sometimes though… jerks.

6. avatar Michael in AK says:

Absolutely not on the ear buds unless I’m a secure environment, and even then, not likely.

7. avatar S.Crock says:

I wear earbuds at the gym or sometimes walking to class. I try to make up for it by paying extra attention to my surroundings. By wearing just one ear in at a time and only in pretty safe areas I feel like it’s not a big issue.

8. avatar strych9 says:

As I’ve pointed out before most of the BlueTooth headsets also control your phone.

So if you’re not being dumb about when/where/how you use them they’re potentially a big benefit during an emergency where you need your hands but also need to talk to 911.

9. avatar Jean-Claude says:

I wear my earbuds to the gym and sometimes keep them in when I go shopping everywhere. I think earbuds are much less of a distraction than cell phones.

I can’t tell you how many times I see people walking from their cars to the store or vice versa with their heads down, staring at their phones.

Lots of people make themselves easy targets.

10. avatar Aaron Ping says:

I think anything that reduces your situational awareness is a problem. I’ll where mine in my members only gym or other non public locations. I just dropped my 19 year old off, this one of things I reminded her of, no headphones while walking around campus and know what is going on around you.

11. Omg, you people are crazy. You can have your earbuds in and live your life, just pop your head up now and then and look around, easy pesy.

1. avatar Baldwin says:

Predators select the weak and stupid for a reason. Unless your buds are actively used for amplified listening to what is going on around you (bionic ears), you are NOT maintaining situational awareness. Easy pesy? Easy prey.

12. avatar Jeremiah says:

I don’t listen any music. I dislike music. I have no needs for earbuds. I also don’t feel the need to check my “smart”phone every 5 minutes. I am ready at all time, always scanning with my eyes and ears. I am like a cheetah, but slower. I don’t get distracted by anything. I have been expecting the worst since I turned 15.