Dogs Matter, Too: Everyday Carry Pocket Dump of the Day

K9 Handler Matt Burnett is the director of training at Freedog USA so his EDC is a bit varied. He says they’re “all items that I don’t go a day without. Having multiple knife options and a high-performance dog training gear allows me to bring my service dog with me off leash to alert me when my oxygen intake is poor or to engage an impending threat. There is not a day in the last several months I’ve been without these items.”

Matt’s carry gun is a Ruger LC9s Pro carried in a Bianchi #100 Professional IWB.

The Dogtra collar and remote are familiar to those of us who have hunting dogs, as is the lead. Do you have any dog-related gear as part of your EDC? Personally, I like to keep a pocket full of cookies for my four-legged herd.

comments

1. This is a video all will appreciate I produced, K9s are smarter than most humans:

2. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

If this ‘dump’ is for dogs, does that make it a dog dump?

3. avatar Jack says:

“high-performance dog training gear allows me to bring my service dog with me off leash to alert me when my oxygen intake is poor or to engage an impending threat.”

Off-leash attack dog? Sounds tacti-tool AF.

4. avatar SouthAl says:

If I’m going to carry cookies in my pocket, they are going to be for me.

5. avatar Just say’n says:

How many pockets o k-rap you got to sort through to get to ur gun?

6. avatar K9Dan says:

Shock collars create fearful and anxious dogs. Credible trainers don’t use them, neither do LEO trainers I’ve worked with. There’s plenty of research and experience to show they are a poor substitute for real training.

1. avatar bryan1980 says:

They aren’t a substitute for training, you’re correct about that. However, they are a good tool for communicating with your dogs when they are off-leash, just as a prong collar is for when they’re on-leash. Using a remote collar at the lowest working level to get the dogs attention, while delivering a command, then releasing when they’ve performed said command (pressure-on, pressure-off).

I don’t know if you’re a “purely positive reinforcement” training person or not, but, in my opinion, that school of thought is one of the reasons our shelters are full of dogs. Reward good behavior at all times, but at the same time, bad behavior must be punished.

1. avatar Pelvicpunch says:

Thats how i use them with our GSP. She gets distracted sometimes and will tend to ignore me; a quick press of the vibrate or beep button and shes back paying attention but sometimes shes needs a zap when she finds a small animal nearby.
        Still learning all this dog training stuff though. It never ends!