Rossi Issues Safety Warning on .38 Special and .357 Magnum Revolvers

Rossi R971 Safety Recall Drop Safe

Rossi has issued the following notice:

Rossi is issuing a voluntary safety warning on .38 Special and .357 Magnum revolvers made between the years 2005 and 2017 that may have a condition that could cause, under certain circumstances, the revolver to fire if dropped.

This Safety Warning covers .38 Special and .357 Magnum revolver models R351, R352, R461, R462, R851, R971, and R972 with serial numbers beginning with the letter Y, Z, or A through K.

Rossi is developing inspection and repair solutions. Rossi will make every effort possible to ensure Rossi Revolvers will be inspected, serviced if necessary, and returned to customers in a prompt, timely fashion.

Rossi Safety Warning .38 .357 revolvers Notice Recall

ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN:

Stop using your revolver immediately.

Go to WWW.ROSSISAFETYNOTICE.COM where you can enter your serial number and read our instructions. Or call 855-982-8787 for assistance.

If you no longer have this revolver, please inform current owner of this notice.

We appreciate your business and value you as a customer.

About Rossi:

The Rossi revolution of firearm design and manufacture started with the founding of the company in 1889 by Amadeo Rossi. For the past 120 years, the tradition of innovation grew along with the company and the Rossi family. Today, Rossi brand firearms are  distributed in the U.S. and abroad by Taurus USA. The Rossi brand continues its tradition of dedication and innovation in every firearm. Rossi looks forward to providing its customers with the next generation of great firearms. For more information about Rossi Firearms, visit www.rossiusa.com.

comments

1. avatar Old Region Fan says:

Here come the commando drop tests

1. avatar Bearpaw says:

two words:

Buy American

(Springfield is not American BTW)

2. avatar Defens says:

Revised version:

Stop dropping your revolver immediately!

3. avatar former water walker says:

Another nail in the coffin of Taurus owned Rossi…didn’t these Brazilians ever hear of a transfer bar?!? I’ve had 5 perfect Tauruses but no more after they ended a “lifetime” warranty. Plus beware if you send one in. You may not get it back just a crappy gun you don’t want or a lowball “replacement”check.

1. avatar Robbie RobbertsSon says:

My dad discovered their lifetime warranty means they’ll receive it and do nothing and ship it back twice. They won’t accept it a third time and they won’t give your money back.

4. avatar Thinker1 says:

Your link to rossisafetynotice.com does not work. Nor does that address.

5. avatar el Possum Guapo Herr Standartenfuher they think we're making pizza's" Oberst von Burn says:

Oh a nuther fire if it’s dropped. Heard through the B.S. grapevine Rossi’s are supposed to go up in value, Taurus buy out. ??? I’ve had two Rossi’s sold them both, Okay guns they are, not my cup of tea however

6. avatar Michael in AK says:

Note to self : keep buying old Smith’s and don’t drop your firearm.

7. avatar William Ashbless says:

This cannot be right. California has independently tested and approved these handguns to be drop ‘safe’ and, therefore, available for purchase by the good people of this state.

8. avatar Randy Buell says:

I sent in a Taurus 605 poly 357 never been shot the cylinder was not locking up right I get a letter back from Taurus it’ll be 12 weeks to get it back

9. avatar Geoff says:

rossisafetynotice.com presents a blank page with 3 periods in the upper left of the page.

10. avatar Vhyrus says:

I guess it doesn’t matter for me since my 461 blew up in my hand in May. Still waiting on a replacement.

1. avatar jwm says:

Never had a gun go boom in my hand. Hope you were uninjured.

2. avatar William Hume says:

Do you still have your hand? Just kidding. I have had a Rossi 357 for about 3 years now. I have not shot it much but have had no problems, It functions fine like its supposed to and I never drop my guns. From the comments I have read from other Rossi owners, I think I,ll just keep my gun as is and be content with it.

11. avatar Gralnok says:

The link doesn’t work, and neither does Taurus’s lifetime warranty.

I have a cheap Davis .22mag derringer. Even it has a safety that will block the hammer from contacting the firing pins, should it get dropped. Heritage builds cheap, pot metal frame revolvers, and they have a similar hammer blocking safety. How come a proper, steel frame revolver doesn’t have a similar safety?

12. avatar Quasimofo says:

“Made in Brazil”

That might be all the warning you need. Of course, I still married my wife anyway, so what do I know…

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

““Made in Brazil”

That might be all the warning you need.”

Pftttpt. The third-largest aircraft manufacturer on the planet is Brazilian.

In 2006, an Embraer Legacy 600 business jet hit a 737 at altitude.

The cheap Brazil-made Legacy 600 survived the mid-air and landed safely.

The tough-as-nails Boeing 737 lost a third of its wing and broke up in flight, killing everyone aboard.

So much for made in Brazil is junk :

1. avatar Quasimofo says:

Wow. that was clearly a very lucky hit that Embraer took. A couple feet here or there and both planes would’ve been lost.

My (joking) comments still stand regarding Rossi/Taurus. Those companies could probably screw up a wet dream.

My experiences and observations working with Brazil is that they often need outside/foreign guidance in order to achieve success. I had a young former coworker move there and now he’s an officer in his company. I’m pretty sure the secret to his success down there was 1.) acting like he gave a damn, and 2.) showing up to meetings on time.

13. avatar Thinker1 says:

Rossi site is working now.

14. avatar MAGA says:

Rossi has a lifetime warranty. You die when the gun blows up in your hand.

Save the extra money and buy Smith or Ruger.

1. avatar Thinker1 says:

Mine has been a good shooter, particularly after I honed the cylinder’s chambers to make extraction easier.

15. avatar Alex says:

Seriously that’s a Smith and Wesson revolver not a Rossi get the picture right. Is the journalist so lazy they can’t find the right picture. Please post a picture of a Rossi handgun.

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

When did Smith and Wesson manufacture and ship revolvers with a “Rossi” logo on the grip and on the frame?

Or, maybe that photo really is a photo of a Rossi revolver.

2. avatar Andrew Lias says:

Where do you think most of the design is borrowed from? It’s not like the patents on a majority of their revolver line has been in effect. I mean hell a Hand Ejector came out in what 1905? Before these guys there were the Spanish.

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Andrew Lias,

Oh, I know full well that Rossi and/or Taurus make copies of Smith and Wesson revolvers. The comment above was ripping on TTaG about using an incorrect photo, which was NOT the case. That is why I commented.

2. avatar rosignol says:

…so the problem isn’t that it’s a bad design, the problem is that they aren’t making them correctly?

3. avatar William Hume says:

I,m looking at my Rossi and the picture and my Rossi is identical to the one in the picture. It is a Rossi.

16. avatar Hannibal says:

The two most crucial purposes of a firearm are that it does not go bang when the trigger is not pulled and that it does go bang when it is pulled. The latter one being screwed up is bad but if a manufacturer cannot figure out the first one in 2018 then they don’t belong in business. This is a problem that has been solved long ago.

17. avatar Used_to_read_regularly says:

Would love to read the article, if you could tame f*cking ridiculous adverts moving it around on mobile. Thanks.

18. avatar William Botts says:

stopped buying taurus and rossi a few years ago, after bad customer service. i know lemons can get by any gun company but when something simple as a spring can’t be mailed out and have to send a whole gun in is crazy then wait up to and over 6 months to get a simple job fixed.

19. avatar A BIt of a Gun Snob says:

I have a Rossi .410 single shot that is as tough as nails. Nothing breaks on that thing. That by the way is the only Rossi or Taurus I would ever buy. It is so simple it is almost impossible to mess it up or break it. Makes a great barn gun.

20. avatar TX223 says:

Brazilian guns went down the tubes when the country embraced anti-gun globalism.

21. avatar bobinmi says:

who would have guessed that a 300 dollar revolver would have some issues…

22. avatar Brian Bard says:

I don’t think I’ll send mine back because I’m afraid I’ll end up with a 13-pound trigger pull when they’re done with it. I cleaned this revolver a few times and once I took the side plate off to clean in there. I do this on my S&W’s with no problem, but on this Rossi it messed up the action and the trigger/hammer were jammed. I took the hammer block out and it worked fine, put it back–no good. My friend had the same problem on his Rossi. I sent it back to Rossi and they charged me $80 for violating the warranty. There’s something strange about their hammer block.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

23. avatar james leckie says:

I sent my Rossi pistol back on Oct 12, 2018 (this was due to a safety recall). Their response is always 4 more weeks. My last call was on April 3, 2019.

24. avatar Thomas says:

I have a Rossi 38 I bought new in 2015. It is on the recall .I never shoot it as it shoots 5 inches to the left at 20 feet. They told me that they would address that also . I haven’t received any shipping label or any mail from them. Gunsmith said the barrel is not threaded so he can’t adjust the front site. If I could get it to shoot close to poa I would never send it to them . I’ve got a decision to make.Any suggestions ?

25. avatar BRENT PETERSEN says:

I am still waiting for a shipping label since Octover 2018.