BREAKING: NRA Carry Guard Expo Cancelled Due to Hurricane Florence

NRA Carry Guard Expo Cancelled Hurricane Florence

courtesy ABC News

The NRA’s second annual Carry Guard Expo had been scheduled for this weekend in Richmond, Virginia. However that coincides with the projected landfall of Hurricane Florence, probably somewhere between South Carolina and Virginia. As a result, the NRA has decided to side with safety and has cancelled the event.

Here’s their press release:

NRA Carry Guard Expo in Richmond CANCELLED Ahead of

Forecasted Landfall of Hurricane Florence

RICHMOND, Va. –The National Rifle Association has cancelled the second annual NRA Carry Guard Expo, which was scheduled for Sept. 14-16, 2018 at the Greater Richmond Convention Center in Richmond, Virginia, due to the impending threat of severe weather associated with Hurricane Florence.

The cancellation was made in the interest of public safety due to the forecasted arrival of Category 4 Hurricane Florence in the mid-Atlantic region this forthcoming weekend, and the resulting declaration of a State of Emergency by the Governor of Virginia. This decision required careful deliberation and concern for the safety of attendees, exhibitors and others involved with the event.

Customers who purchased event tickets or tickets to paid workshops will receive refunds for their purchases.

Despite this major weather event being beyond human control, the NRA regrets any inconvenience caused by this decision. We look forward to welcoming guests and exhibitors next year to the 2019 NRA Carry Guard Expo, scheduled for Sept. 6-8, 2019, in Fort Worth, Texas.

About the National Rifle Association

Established in 1871, the National Rifle Association is America’s oldest civil rights and sportsmen’s group. Six million members strong, NRA continues its mission to uphold Second Amendment rights and is the leader in firearm education and training for law-abiding gun owners, law enforcement and the military. Visit http://www.nra.org.

comments

1. avatar Bloving says:

“Preppers”. I’ll often get into it with anti-civil rights bigots who throw that term at gun owners like it’s some sort of insult.
    To them, I will soon thrown down that trump card: a perfectly reasonable scenario where a person can expect to be completely on their own with little hope of getting help from the Authorities anytime soon – hurricanes.

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

Having ‘enjoyed’ the 2004 hurricane season down here in Florida where I got hit by 2 of 3 hurricanes that hit in a month-and-a-half, I can testify it really *sucked*.

No power for 9 days in August in Florida was an experience I don’t wish to repeat. Work was shut down so I stayed home and sweated.

There was *nothing* on the local radio stations but news and pre-recorded ‘hurricane instructions’. So entertainment came at night via skywave…

1. avatar Bearpaw says:

Oh, you poor soul.

Gawd city folk are soft.

By the way, that L shape on the above map sure looks like a Leupold logo crosshair.

2. avatar New Continental Army says:

Yep. I have a fairly decent stockpile and a way to pump and filter my own water. I “prep” within reason. Yet many will still rag on me and I just reply with, “read up a little bit on hurricane Katrina.”

1. avatar Mater says:

Yeah 21 days no power ain’t worth a damn

3. avatar jwm says:

I’ve lived in snow country. Been activated into fema during floods. Saw tornadoes and some really awesome thunder storms in Texas, hail as big as golf balls. Went through the 89 Loma Prieata earthquake in CA.

I don’t think of myself as a prepper. I see myself as an experienced realist.

2. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

Cancelled because of a little wind?

That really blows. (Har, har…)

A tornado, and it would really suck… 😉

3. avatar How_Terrible says:

Stupid liberal anti-gun hurricane. We might as well just start calling it Hurricane Bloomberg. :-p

1. avatar New Continental Army says:

The gun control hurricane. I like it. Obviously a hurricane would support gun control. Hurricanes are aggressive and would prefer their victims unarmed.

4. avatar jwtaylor says:

Thanks, Obama.

1. avatar jwm says:

Don’t let Matt hear you say that. He is fed up with politics.

2. avatar Mater says:

Best comment…

5. avatar Ken says:

Having lived in Virginia for over 70 years and working insurance claims for insurance for over 31 years, they are making a wise decision. This hurricane looks to be much like Hurricane Hugo that did massive destruction in much of the state. My main concern where I live is the possibility of the loss of power like I had with Hugo as I have a well. I will go out tomorrow and but gas that I may need to use in one or two of my generators.

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

x

6. avatar Green Mtn. Boy says:

Weather happens and Carry Guard Expo doesn’t ,them are the breaks.

7. avatar Rusty Chains says:

My brother and his wife were visiting my parents in Punta Gorda Isles when Charley took a sudden turn to the right. They rode it out in the walk in closet in the master bedroom (the only space without a window). Fortunately the house was well built and there was only some damage to the roof from tiles blown off a neighbors roof. FYI a 10.5 pound ceramic roof tile at a hundred miles an hour has about 1000 pounds more energy than a 10 gauge 3.5 inch magnum slug. Oh, yeah and my brother told me that after the eyewall passed he went out to look at the damage and the blue sky before heading back in as the western eyewall came in.

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

Being in the ‘eye’ was kinda interesting.

I had the same experience, both times. My electricity stayed on for the first half, and I got over-confident.

A few min. after the second eyewall hit where the wind came from the opposite direction is when I lost power…

1. avatar Rusty Chains says:

Yeah, they lost power before the first eyewall passed, but had a portable generator to run the fridge and a small window A/C unit that my brother helped my dad set up. They were able to get through to me via cell a couple of hours after the hurricane passed, before the batteries in the cell tower died.

When I went to visit them about six weeks later I was amazed how little damage they sustained compared to some of the other buildings I passed that were on the way. Dad figured the two story house next door acted as a windbrake, and protected them from damage before the first eyewall passed.

8. avatar I1uluz says:

Maybe some of it the Richmond airport most likely being closed too starting Wednesday night. Just guessing there, mandatory evac in place for Norfolk and surrounding area and Eastern Shore in Zone A, most likely to flood, starting at 0800 in the morning. Navy stortie ships today. Schools are closed starting tomorrow. Gas stations are running out of fuel. GFS model is showing it hanging off the coast for about 4 days hammering Hampton Roads area with heavy rain and winds. Euro model shows it hitting southern NC, moving up around Durham into central VA and stalling out, dumping rain for days. Ground is saturated due to rain over the last week or so in/around Norfolk. Roots will not hold, wind will topple trees without much effort. Some where along the east coast, it’s goin to be a bad weekend.

9. avatar Mater says:

Man gotta pray for them anything over a cat 2 really isn’t a joke…

10. avatar scott says:

Figured a bunch of Virginians firing at the hurricane with their fully semi-automatic AR’s could divert the ‘cane. Only if they were firing Creedmore, tho…