Taurus Breaks Ground On New Bainbridge, Georgia Manufacturing Plant and HQ

Image courtesy of WTXL News

The sleepy farming community Bainbridge, Georgia, about 40 miles north of Tallahassee, will soon be the new home of Taurus USA. Long located in an industrial district of South Florida’s Miami Gardens area, Taurus has decided to move to greener pastures due to the need for expansion space and the ever-increasing cost of doing business in the Sunshine State.

Back in April, Taurus and Georgia’s Gov. Nathan Deal struck a deal for Taurus to invest $22.5 million in infrastructure and operations to establish a firearms manufacturing plant and new headquarters, creating 300 jobs in the South Georgia area.

Gov. Deal and Taurus Board of Directors in April, 2018.

While construction had already begun the official groundbreaking ceremony took place yesterday.

Taurus’s Jorio Dauster told WTXL News;

“It took about two years and a half to start from zero. So, today, we see people working,” said Jorio Dauster, the board chairman. “Taurus It’s a real groundbreaking, not only words. We hope that by, perhaps next year, September, October, to have the plant ready.”

Economically speaking, this is a boon for the South Georgia and North Florida areas. In addition to providing 300 new jobs, there’s also is a benefit to the local construction industry over the next year.

Work underway at Taurus’ new site.

When the new plant is finished, there will be more than 200,000 square feet of space for manufacturing and shipping. But more importantly as Gov. Deal said;

“This will allow you stay in a part of the state of Georgia where you grew up, where you probably have family connections, and it will allow you to find a good job. That is always important for a rural state, like much of our state truly is.”

comments

1. avatar Nanashi says:

The big question is if the Georgia plant will be making hand grenades or pistols.

1. avatar Bloving says:

???
      What am I missing about grenades?
      🤠

1. avatar TheUnspoken says:

Depending on whether the pistols pew or kaboom I am guessing?

2. avatar George P says:

Obviously you have Taurus confused with Glock

2. avatar Michael says:

Since we can make our own firearms, why not our own grenades, for our own personal use, of course?

1. avatar TheUnspoken says:

I guess you can form 1a destructive device like a launcher, but can you make and register an explosive other than mixing tannerite, that is a good question.

1. avatar Geoff says:

Actually, yes.
        You need to have a Federal Explosives License to buy the materials and a FFL10 SOT2 for manufacturing Destructive Devices.
        FFL10
        Manufacturer of firearms, ammunition and ammunition components, manufacturer of destructive devices, ammunition for destructive devices, and armor-piercing ammunition; may also deal in all of the aforementioned items. Requires payment as an SOT Class 2 (can act as an NFA Dealer). To manufacture any DD with an explosives content (e.g. flash-bangs) requires an additional FEL[2] as a Type 20 Manufacturer of High Explosives.

3. avatar Rammerjammer says:

Garbage guns…now made in America!

1. avatar Bloving says:

That’s not fair!
      There are plenty of crummy guns that have been made in America for a long time!
      🤠

1. avatar bryan1980 says:

Yeah, what about Jennings, Bryco, Raven, & Jimenez? All 100% made in the U.S. of A.

1. avatar Rammerjammer says:

Feel free to buy those turds too.

2. avatar Forward Assist says:

A low point for America is Hi Point.

No recalls is also an indication that nobody cares about the product. Most Chinese crap has never been recalled either. Must mean it’s good, right.

3. avatar Jonndoe says:

Don’t bad mouth Jennings I’ve still got the one I bought back In 88′ and granted I had to replace the slide after less than a year and some screws for the grips.
          That said I was also very aware this was basically a disposable gun, In all that time I expected It to just stop working at some point and after 30 years and about 800-1000 rounds(never shot It a whole lot)It’s still chugging along and when It die’s I’ll go out to the garage pull all the metal bits off toss them Into the recycle bin and pound the rest Into zinc power and toss It In the trash.
          As long as you go In knowing what your buying, just a very cheaply made plinker.
          It Is NOT a home or self defense gun by any stretch.

2. avatar Christ T in KY says:

Feel free to put down the Hi point company, that has never had a recall. Unlike Remington, Sig Sauer and other so called high end gun companies. My JHP 45 pistol is outstanding. Go ahead and spend a $1000 on a hand gun. I know spending lots of money gets some people really excited.

1. avatar Sho Rembo says:

Because some people just throw it in the gutter and go by another.

2. avatar Durango Jim says:

Let’s see, $800-$1000+ for a Kimber, $200 for my Taurus TCP, $179 for my HI-Point 9mm. The only common denominator is that every time the hammer falls, it goes bang. I sold my TCP because with arthritis, it was too small and to hard to rack. I like the Hi-point because it’s heavy, never had a malfunction, and being so heavy, when you run out of ammo you can beat someone with it. I replaced the TCP with a new S&W MP EZ.
        Larger in size but very easy to rack.

4. avatar former water walker says:

Never had a problem with several Tauruses (I’m not inept).HOWEVER I won’t buy another after they(stupidly) went with a mere 1 year warranty. Good on them moving to Georgia…

5. avatar Michael says:

Better a bad Tauri than a good S&W with a Clinton hole.

6. avatar jwm says:

That’s 300 new jobs with folks getting pay checks and spending that money in the local area which creates more demands for goods and services.

I can’t speak for Taurus autos as I’ve never used one. But I’ve owned and used several Taurus revolvers in .38 and .357. Never had reason to regret buying them.

Since Trump got elected things are changing regards tariffs and such. I was looking at an e bike on line just a couple of days ago. As I was looking at their site the prices went up 200 bucks per unit because they were made overseas and a tariff rate adjustment was in order.

Make it here if you want to sell it here. MAGA.

1. avatar GS650G says:

It’s hard on people but we need to make stuff here again or pay for the difference. A look at the balance sheet shows China eating our lunch.

7. avatar Jon in CO says:

I’ve had 3 bad Taurus revolvers, so I will never again buy one. However, I have several friends with autos, and experience with a good dozen of them, and they seem to work fine.

Maybe Americans in GA will force some better QC and they end up being a better gun. Either way, good on them for providing jobs.

1. avatar Sho Rembo says:

Have had a Taurus .357 revolver I bought in 1988. So far the only thing that has gone wrong is the cylinder stop spring broke. Broke a few years ago. I’d say that is pretty good.

8. avatar Ranger Rick says:

Good deal for Georgia.

9. avatar GS650G says:

I guess NJ, MY, CT, and Mass were not on the list of locations

10. avatar Gun Owning American says:

Good for Georgia.

11. avatar Jonathan-Houston says:

“Taurus and Georgia’s Gov. Nathan Deal struck a deal….”

Typical crony capitalism. What did Taurus get? Tax abatements? Government subsidized or guaranteed loans? Fast track permitting? Outright grants?

If you and your buddy wanted to open up a machine shop manufacturing firearms of your own design in a rented space, you can bet that Governor Let’s-make-a-Deal wouldn’t be there with an armful of government goodies and free assistance. You’d have to do and fund everything on your own. Good luck getting up to speed on a new state’s building codes, tax srructure, and employment laws.

Government should only be a referee in a capitalist system. It shouldn’t be a coach, owner, and certainly not a player.

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

I hear what you’re saying and I am sympathetic to it.

I think the benefits the local government will get from that deal in the form of payroll injected into the local economy likely make up for that.

And the jobs aren’t for flipping burgers. They will be doing a fair amount of CNC work along with assembly and running plastic molding injection machines.

They are upping the technical skills pool of the local labor in the bargain. I think that’s a reasonable trade for a tax break.

Glock in Smyrna, and now Taurus? The northeast US ‘gun valley’ is taking a hit. I kinda like the idea of a number of regional ‘gun valleys’ springing up in the USA…

1. avatar Mort says:

Yes, right on. It is a legitimate gripe. Nevertheless, it’s still good to see more jobs and more guns. And, in some ways, at least with this particular bureaucratic machination we have a “piece of the puzzle” and/or barometer of state politics that demonstrates “all Americans” are not hostile to firearms and firearms manufacturing, but instead we welcome it. That’s pretty important.

One often wonders, seeing some of the rollmarks and stamps by firearm makers in Massachusetts or California for example, why these businesses stay and operate in states that are openly outright hostile to their livelihood? We all see how absurd it is to have workers in a factory building guns that they wouldn’t even be permitted to purchase as soon as they punch out for the day– that is nuts, inexplicable. The emergence of “gun valleys” is a good thing, at least with regard to Americans general understanding that not everyone shares this hysteria and hostility of firearms that an irrational portion of America routinely purports to be “so obvious” for all of us. It’s not so obvious. Not all of us think “more guns is a bad thing,” and in fact tens of millions of us really delight in the idea of more factories making more firearms for us all. And more Americans making a living building guns… great! At the very least, this does speak for the other side.

Why we have 400 million firearms (and climbing) in this country dispersed among 100 million gun owners, and many Americans still manage to pretend that it’s “common sense” that all guns are bad, destructive, evil even, and that only imbalanced, disturbed, and dangerous people would ever own a gun… well, that’s a different matter all together. Or, “it’s all about the mental illness” shall we say.

Be safe.

1. avatar Gladius et Scutum says:

Yes, it does seem a bit unfair and ‘crony-istic’ to me. However, consider this: near where I live Intel has a number of facilities. Intel got some tax breaks to build them. Around each of these facilities are dozens of businesses that simply would not exist if Intel was not there; restaurants, shops selling cables and electronic equipment, convenience stores, office supply stores, etc. Think of how much all that tax revenue aggregates to for the local community. Not to mention all the jobs created. Is it unfair to all the local businesses that Intel gets a tax break? Yes, but many of those businesses would simply not exist without Intel and the net gain to the community is so great that those who get too bent out of shape about it are the types who would cut off their nose to spite their face.

2. avatar Mort says:

Exactly. And instead of Intel, this whole “community organism” of local businesses in a mutually beneficial arrangement will orbit around a firearms factory. I don’t think that will be lost on people. Especially with some exposure and publicity.

The prevailing judgment of “Guns=deathmurderkill” that much of the mainstream media spreads like a hateful virus… it seems easier to defeat and reformulate if it can be shown to be superficial and hysterical. The fact that firearms bring not only joy to millions, practical applications to millions, recreational and sporting purpose, societal security and lives saved– but also bona fide normal, everyday livelihoods that feed families and serve communities– that is a living, breathing antidote to the shallow and ignorant judgment of firearms as something purely detrimental to healthy society. We all know this is just a superficial lie. But we can say it and shout it as much as we want, and nobody has to listen or believe us. When the proof is right there, though, providing life and commerce to a town? Much harder to recklessly dismiss with prejudice, I think.

Perhaps that is idealistic or optimistic… but were there a firearms factory in every city? More people would have a more balanced view, I imagine. So, I think it is positive for Georgia and Taurus and the townfolk.

3. avatar Gladius et Scutum says:

Roger that, Mort. Ideology is easy, lazy even. Its easy to sit back and say, “keep the government 100% out of business.” Try being the town mayor or town council, “sorry, citizens, no jobs because I’m a rampant ideologist.” It is much harder to make a tough decision that ultimately benefits most people. Life is inherently practical which is why ideology ultimately fails. As Voltaire or perhaps Milton Friedman said, “The perfect is the enemy of the good.”

2. avatar Anymouse says:

How many jobs would you and your buddy create? How many other jobs will your employees create as a need is recognized to provide them with homes, food, transportation, and entertainment? How many thousands of square feet will the factory you’ll build be, how many construction workers will you employ, and what will the eventual taxes be? How much revenue will you generate for the government entity offering a break? There’s no chronyism, and no selection of winner or losers. Anyone who offers a high enough return gets the deal to incentivize them to set up shop there.
      When done properly, these deals are an investment by the government to bring in more revenue. Granted, many places make poor deals, either offering to much up front, or counting on too much return and not considering non-ideal economic conditons.

12. avatar Mort says:

The negative nellies can find fault with this all they want… however,

Anytime a company brings more work and more jobs into a willing area of America, to build more guns in the USA for the USA, no less… that’s gonna be a net plus. More jobs, more guns– goes a long way, even if it is a Braztech company. Glock, SIG, Beretta, and others do it…

I haven’t purchased or owned any Taurus guns… my “budget” favorite is Kel-Tec, and in good part because they are a small business that manufactures firearms in the United States with American workers (and in another good part to Kellgren’s innovation in design, despite their occasional budget material and QC issues…). But if Taurus builds firearms in the US… and I am sure we’ll find out which ones exactly… I would certainly consider purchasing one that’s USA built more than I did when it wasn’t.

But, that’s just my opinion. I’m sure my opinions are as flawed as Taurus guns… (and probably like a Taurus, rough around the edges as it may be, every once in a while it can save someone’s life…).

In fact, i would be delighted if they started to make their revolvers in the USA.

13. avatar Aaron says:

i’ve never owned a taurus, neither the ford taurus or the taurus brand firearm.

are they any good? (the gun, not the car).

comments seem all over the place, with some commenters positive and some negative.

BTW, i have been to bainbridge georgia AND bainbridge maryland, oddly both places for Army duties. there’s an abanoned naval base at bainbridge, maryland that was used for military training exercises.

1. avatar bryan1980 says:

I’ve only owned one Taurus (a TCP 738 .380), which I still have. I was needing a pocket gun, and I read a good review on it here. Plus, the fact that it’s one of the few guns of its class in which the slide locks back after the last round. I haven’t shot it much, since it’s not a range toy, but it’s been dead-nuts reliable for about 300 rounds. It’s a mixed bag with them it seems, but there’s a lot of hate out there that’s probably undeserved. Hell, one guy responded to my previous comment and compared them to Ravens and Bryco’s! I think Taurus is a clear step above them.

2. avatar The Rookie says:

I think the thing about Taurus is that their QC can be hit or miss. I’ve had good luck with Taurus. My Taurus revolver has been absolutely reliable. It’s not as refined or smooth as a S&W or a Ruger, but it’s a good, no-frills little snubbie. I’ve had good experiences with the Taurus semi-autos I’ve shot as well. But it’s also my understanding that when you get a lemon from Taurus, you *really* get a lemon. I’ve heard and read stories of everything from transfer bars snapping to barrels flying off. Taurus’ customer service can also be really slow to respond, from what I understand.

3. avatar EnDangerEd says:

I have several Taurus semi-autos. The AFS92 is a copy of the Baretta 92/M9, shoots fine have been using it for 25 years, also a 2 year old 709 Slim, in 9mm shoots very well out to 7yds, OK out to 15 yards, but its very small and easy to conceal. Pocket carry. The 709 has at least 1000 rounds through it, no problems. The 92 has at least 2000 rounds no breakdowns. As with all firearms YMMV and they all have their favorite foods.

14. avatar kpraxor says:

I own a Taurus PT1911, a PT92, and 709 Slim. Also, way too many Sigs, which I love. The PT1911 got an upgrade to hogue rubberized grip and it just feels right. Never had any problem with it, it fits like a glove, is accurate, and reliable. I found a Beretta 92FS Inox, made in Italy version, but the PT92 is way more accurate. The only complaint is it spits oil a bit, but tighter groups, so I let it slide. I’ve been consistently impressed with the value of my cheap Taurus versions of the originals. Not sure about the Slim, though – it was one of those “looking for a backup or pocket carry option” but although it’s more pleasant to shoot that my Ruger LC9, it did not unseat it for that purpose. I hear a lot of people trashing Taurus, but in my experience, the ones I own are high quality, worth more to me than I paid for them, so I feel compelled to defend them from time to time. YMMV, but I’m a fan so far.

15. avatar Christ T in KY says:

I like my Judge Revolver. Its great. The gun snobs are the same ones who hate the Bump Stock as well. You guys are FUDDs. No guns for the poor!!!!

16. avatar FlamencoD says:

This is good news. I had a Taurus 24/7 G2 that was a great gun. Two-tone, 4.25″ 9 mm barrel, 17+1 capacity, very nice looking gun; I regret selling it. I have a buddy that is moving out of Cali as we speak, and will be buying a Taurus Judge as soon as he gets his license in his new free state (Idaho).

1. avatar Nickname says:

What license?

1. avatar FlamencoD says:

Driver’s license.

17. avatar ColoradoKid says:

Sent a 24/7 back to taurus in January, still “waiting on parts” (a slide). Last time I called they offered to send it back not repaired. Their customer service is a nightmare. I have had very few issues with their revolvers, their semis are another story.

18. avatar Jim Peterson says:

Jawga has Glock, HK, Honor, Daniel Defense and now Taurus!

19. avatar Retro says:

I have relatives there, that area really needs 300 jobs and an economic boost.

Maybe moving to a small town in GA will improve their customer service.

Nah, lets just go with all the negatives.

20. avatar Charles Meredith says:

I have bought and sold many Taurus firearms.
    Never had any problems.
    I have found them to be less expensive than firearms made anywhere else.
    The present quality is outstanding and equal to USA manufacturers.
    Now being made here, their warranty service will be much much faster!!

21. I have 6 Taurus revolvers.an 817 ultralite, ( a neet 7- shot 38 special that can only be described as a small big gun , it still fits in my pants pocket. and it is stainless/aluminun and weights 21 onces and 2 m85s one stainless ultralite and one stainless. these guns are troopers. I put them through a lot , sweat, rain, mud and they still work great. ( I have to whittle away at the 817s grip so I could get a good purchase on the trigger but that is all, the other 2 now wear their round butt wood grips). the 2 m94s, well that is another story, sent the m94 ultralit stainless back to the factory because the barrel is turned to far over to the right so the front site leans to one eide and sometimes you can’t get the cylinder out, and you will have to turn it alittle to find the “sweet spot” so you can. well they had it for 4 months and they sent it back looking the same way. also the stainless m94 w/ 3″ barrel seems to like to have it’s cylinder pin loosen up while shooting. I think I will just send them out to a professional to have fixed. and the m941 22 mag seems so far ok. now on the web I am reading about problems with S&W with their l-frames , something with their barrels and they don’t seem to be doing anything about it so it is not just Taurus. and I have a post 82 Colt Agent ( shrouded ejector rod gray finish) that works great but is not all one color and the side plate does not fit flush with the rest of the frame. but if that is all that is wrong, and it is the only Colt I own with a problem then maybe I should not complain. I hope Taurus does a better job in the future with their QC. I would still buy another, I just would look it over very carefully befoe buying and shoot it as soon as I can to see if there are any problems. but they never seem(at as fat as I know) to have any problems with their M85 types . and right now I am looking for a M856 to see how it is.