Israel Eases Gun Control, Up to 500,000 New Carry Permits Approved

Israeli Gun Shop

Israel, a nation about the size of New Jersey and with a similar sized population, has begun to back away from their long-standing gun control policies. The Jewish state is increasingly embracing the idea that good guys with guns stop bad guys with guns, while the Garden State moves in the other direction.

As mentioned in our Daily Digest post last night, the restrictions on civilians carrying firearms are being reduced for those who have served in the armed forces. But this doesn’t only affect IDF veterans.

Currently, there are 145,000 carry permits in Israel. That’s in addition to those who carry as part of their jobs like police, armed security, and military reserve officers. Another 500,000 are now currently being green-lighted.

As reported by The Times of Israel;

Under the new rules, which went into effect immediately upon being announced Monday, hundreds of thousands of veterans of the IDF’s infantry units will be eligible for gun permits, along with police officers who received the equivalent training.

Additionally, army officers ranked first lieutenant or higher, as well as non-commissioned officers ranked first sergeant or higher, who carried a weapon during their military service will no longer be required to return their guns and permits when they are discharged from reserve service, and will be allowed to ask to keep carrying them.

Volunteers in certain police units and in medical organizations Magen David Adom, ZAKA and Hatzalah will also be eligible to receive permits.

Under the old system, Israel largely kept gun ownership linked to military service.

Israel tied it to military serviced through their universal conscription system. But the Israeli Ministry of Defense has reported that at some point, they will end conscription and become an all volunteer force.

The IDF is working towards becoming a professional all-volunteer force. The old ways are going out the window. The age requirement to carry has now been lowered to 21 years of age instead of the old requirement of 25 if of eligible rank or 27 years old if one did not complete any service.

Additionally, individuals who have been in continuous possession of a firearm permit for 10 years will now be allowed to keep their permit indefinitely without undergoing periodic tests to prove they still match the requirements. Also gone is having to prove a need for the firearms, such as living or working in an area considered dangerous.

The biggest boon to gun ownership in Israel because of the changes though is the lowering of the age and not directly tying it to the IDF. Numerous civilians volunteer for the Mash’az (Police Civil Guard).

The civil guard is always out in public since they are the ones who traditionally protect Israeli schools and other public locations from terrorist attacks.

The Magen David Adom (Red Shield of David) is Israel’s national emergency medical, disaster, ambulance and blood bank service. It’s officially recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross as the national aid society of the State of Israel under the Geneva Conventions, and a member of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.

The Hatzalah is a volunteer ambulance service that operates hand in hand with the Zihuy Korbanot Ason (ZAKA). Which is also a voluntary community emergency response team made up of Orthodox Jews who are exempt from military service.

Since all these groups and their volunteers will now be eligible to receive permits, the Israeli gun culture will grow exponentially.

Israel has a strong culture based on volunteerism. As a nation and a people this will further entrench civilian gun ownership into the national fabric since gun ownership will no longer be tied to what has traditionally been seen as a privilege of career military service. It will now be seen more as part of the individual’s responsibility for the collective defense of their own person, their home, and their community.

Israel isn’t the only Middle Eastern nation to recently realize that allowing the law-abiding population to be armed is a step towards greater security for the country as a whole. Iraq also just lowered its restrictions on civilian firearm ownership and carry, too. Some places in the world are seeing the light, while some states and cities here in the US move toward the dark delusion of civilian disarmament.

comments

1. avatar Rick the Bear says:

Cool!

When will touristas be able to carry? (Asking for a friend.)

1. avatar VerendusAudeo says:

Likely never. Because Israel still requires both physical and mental health screenings, practical training, and licensure for civilian firearm ownership, including ammunition. Allowing tourists to carry would be like allowing Canadian children to drive in the US.

1. avatar Rick the Bear says:

I didn’t really think so. That was just a bit of humor/wishful thinking. Friends teased me a bit on my 2 visits there regarding the carrying of my sidearm.

1. avatar Ted Unlis says:

Sounds like a topic for Dean Weingarten to obsess over. In one of his goofy write ups a couple of years back when he was consumed with open carry anywhere anytime anyplace he rationalized that international reciprocity with Mexico was attainable after being confronted with the reality he was prohibited from going south of the Rio Grande strapped with his Glock in that green Fobus that of course was color coordinated with his favorite lion tamer costume complete with pith helmet.

2. avatar jwm says:

Dean is the topic you obsess over, teddy. Amazing how you display the very same behavior you mock.

Another projectionist.

2. avatar 4808 N says:

That’s funny, right there!

2. avatar former water walker says:

Uh OK…would that the Jewish population in America embraced their ”rights” instead of communism.

1. avatar Marty says:

Not likely. Those here who don’t believe in American rights, also don’t believe in Israel. They’re libs through and through which is why they don’t care the dems are mostly anti Israel.

1. avatar ‘liljoe says:

There are plenty of Jews who believe in the 2nd and exercise that belief. Please don’t lump us all in the same category.

1. avatar Marty says:

We were addressing the anti gun Jews, not all Jews. Don’t read something into my comment that wasn’t there. I was born a Jew, although I can’t claim to still be Jewish. I lost many, many ancestors in the death camps in Germany. My sister has lived in Israel since 1978. The anti gun Jews are typical libs who like like most, never learned from history. Hell, most of them ignore history.

2. avatar 'liljoe says:

Sorry, was addressing FWW. I agree with you there are plenty of liberal anti-gun, anti-freedom Jews, mostly in large cities, who have never learned their lesson from history. The rest of us ain’t with them 🙂

FWIW: Jewish means the religion but also the race/people. If you were born a Jew, even if you converted to another religion, you would still be considered a Jew by the rest of the Jewish people. It’s kinda like the mafia… they never let you go 🙂

3. avatar Bloving says:

The volunteer guard carry M1 carbine?
    Could they seriously not spring for basic M4s?
    🤠

1. avatar jwm says:

Israel doesn’t give up on gear cause its got some age on it. Those carbines have probably been in service for decades there. In the 73 Yom Kippor war they still had Sherman and Centurion tanks in service. They rebuild, rework and repair instead of throwing away.

The US could learn a few tips on saving military money from them.

1. avatar CZJay says:

Get rid of old good jets for new bad ones?

2. avatar Clark Kent says:

Better a M1 Carbine than a handgun or nightstick.

4. avatar Stateisevil says:

Israel is quite the police state, MSM/ Neocon propaganda aside. If you don’t care about 1st, 2nd, and 4th amendment rights it might be ok. That and their lobby sucks billions out of American tax cow pockets every year.

1. avatar jwm says:

You mean the rest of the world doesn’t live under the American BOR?

Color me surprised.

2. avatar New Continental Army says:

And it’s still far more free then most other countries.

3. avatar Terclinger says:

That money is 99% spent here in the U.S., and the day they cut ALL the foreign military aid to the entire region is the day the handcuffs come off, and Israel can start wiping out all your jihadi friends.

5. avatar Missouri_Mule says:

Progress but no 2A in Israel.

1. avatar Big E says:

One step at a time. We have to appreciate the glimmers of light in a darkening world.

If I was a Jew (in whatever country) I would ALWAYS carry. Actually, I’m not a Jew and I almost always carry 🙂

2. avatar New Continental Army says:

The US is the only country with a 2A, and it shows.

3. avatar frank speak says:

surprised it took them this long to wake up….funny that I can have an UZI…and they can’t?

6. avatar thevictoriousgecko says:

An article on the Israel and only a single picture of an attractive descendant of Esther engaging in the freedoms that will ensure her people never again face genocide? Come on!

1. avatar Docduracoat says:

It’s funny that you should say that
      It seems like all the women in the Israeli Army are supermodels!

7. Thank God we have the 2nd Amendment! The 2nd Amendment is our PERMIT!

8. avatar CZJay says:

In America they call for more police and more equipment for them. At the same time they want restrictions on keeping and bearing arms. They also frown on moving towards a civilian police force and the disbandment of police departments. Most Americans think police and deputies are the same thing. They also think there is no way a militia/civilian force can do the task of providing security for their own communities. Instead America has a bunch of laws for law enforcement to shove down everyone’s throat when some white lady gets mad and decides to call the cops because “that’s illegal!”

1. avatar jwm says:

‘white lady gets mad’, I begin to think you’re a racist.

1. avatar CZJay says:

Not possible with the family I have. And how would that be racist to mention specifically white women, wouldn’t I need to also throw in white men? If anything that would be more “anti female” than racist or at least stereotyping angry white women.

I assume you don’t pay attention to all those viral memes of white women calling the cops for little things that happen to be illegal (even for things that are completely legal) but aren’t hurting anyone. If you did you would get the joke.

Additionally, if you lived in a mixed area for a long time, you would see the patterns of the various people. Like certain Mexicans crash into people’s cars and flee because they don’t want to deal with the police and they love to throw parties on the weekends with their loud Mexican music or bands. Older Asians like to go for late day walks, hang out at the park in the morning and the females try to cover their skin from the sun to keep it pale. Black people love that black American culture regardless of where they live. It’s not so common to see Asians, blacks or Mexicans call the cops for small things — they usually don’t want any trouble, especially government trouble.

1. avatar New Continental Army says:

Pretty much every comment you make you throw out some jibe at whites. It’s sad more then it is enraging. Your trying to be edgy or hip, and you just look stupid.

2. avatar New Continental Army says:

Why does literally every single derogatory comment you make involve the person being white? Do believe whites are inferior?

1. avatar CZJay says:

I guess you only focus on the comments where I mention white people. Is that because you are white and I hurt your feelings? You should look at my other comments where I mention Mexicans or black people.

I also talk about every class of people. Doesn’t matter if your rich or poor, if you are a cop or a thug, if you are a Democrat or a Republican.

Generally people like to solely focus on the things that effect/offend “them” personally. I understand that group mentality. I learned about it when I first entered public school. I never subscribed to collective outrage.

1. avatar New Continental Army says:

Not really. You pretty much only talk shit about white people. Nice try though. The old “I hate on everyone” jibe.

2. avatar frank speak says:

just bein’ “stylish”?….

9. avatar ATTAGReader says:

Lest anyone think this is not important, it is 5.9% of the total Israeli population, or in US equivalent, 19.5 million carry permits. With at least 1/3 of any population being minors, institutionalized, or just not interested, this is the equivalent of nearly 9% of the eligible population. Just imagine if 19.5 million shall issue permits could be magically issued in NY, NJ, CA, MD, Chiraq, etc. to normal, law-abiding citizens living in urban areas, and using the Israeli model, people reasonably likely to carry and if necessary use the weapons. Would that not change the dynamic? I know rainbow colored unicorns and an end to politicians tweeting are more likely, but one could wish.

10. avatar Docduracoat says:

Don’t forget that the weapons the officers will be allowed to take home will be fully automatic !

11. avatar Pocket Wolf says:

You go Israel! I have made an effort to learn as much as I can about Israel during
    the past year. The more I learn, the more I respect Israel. Then I read A PLACE AMONG THE
    NATIONS by Benjamin Netanyahu (out of print). the best ever! I also read EXODUS by Leon Uris.
    These two books among others gave me some solid background to what Israel is
    really about. I love our Second Amendment and I love Israel for setting an excellent
    example for the right to defend myself and my second amendment.
    I am a Christian for Israel and I am grateful to live in a Judeo-Christian country.

1. avatar RedRed says:

I suspect that Arab Israeli citizens aren’t allowed to be armed. Israel just declared themselves to be a JEWISH state, so that was intended to cow any Arabs still managing to live there. I am sure that any Jew in Israel that kills an Arab, right or wrong, won’t be prosecuted or even investigated.

1. avatar ‘liljoe says:

You suspect… you are sure….

Congratulations on saying nothing while throwing aspersions on an entire country… I suspect you are a liberal democrat… and I’m sure you have no idea what you are talking about.

12. avatar John G says:

What are the regulations or limitations of visitors, have a concealed carry permit, to Israel?

13. avatar Chris T from KY says:

The Jews are starting to learn from their own history. Good.

14. avatar Alan says:

Gun Control in Israel is, I suspect, a sad hangover from years of British rule.

15. I could never understand the rational that they had for their gun control. surrounded by enemies, terrorist attacks and yet they had gun control. and I will bet you can still only have one handgun even with the new rules. but think about it, someone their , who even served in their military, tries to get a gun permit and he/she has to prove a good reason to have it and at one time take a psyike exam. what a slap in the face.