Florida Gubernatorial Candidate Ron DeSantis Supports Both Open and Campus Carry

Florida Carry’s legal eagle, Eric Friday, met with numerous Republican candidates for office at the Republican Party of Florida’s Sunshine Summit and here’s a summary of what occurred.

First and foremost is the primary for governor. Ron DeSantis is one of two Republican candidates running.

DeSantis Supports both open carry and campus carry. Florida Carry did not ask the question, but DeSantis specifically mentioned that he also supports constitutional carry. Regarding Parkland, DeSantis stated he was against SB 7026 and would have voted no or vetoed it if he had been a member of the Florida legislature or governor. Lastly, DeSantis stated he would appoint strict constitutionalist judges to the Florida Supreme Court.

Apparently, this news has reach the Florida Democratic Party and they aren’t happy. Neither is the Tampa Bay Times.

Frank White, who is running for attorney general in the primary approached Florida Carry during a legal seminar before they approached him. Florida Carry states that White is “not a Bondi clone. When asked about SB 7026, White stated he would have consented to the NRA plaintiff remaining anonymous in the NRA’s suit against SB 7026 (current AG Pam Bondi filed to remove anonymity from the juvenile plaintiffs).

White also opposes Bondi’s overuse of legal procedure to fight lawsuits seeking to affirm constitutional rights (Norman v. Florida). White said he’d go after violations of F.S. 790.251 – Parking Lot Carry. The law that lets employees keep firearms in their cars even if the employer bans guns on their property. The House of Mouse (Disney) is a big time violator of this law. AG Bondi has not gone after violators.

Lastly, White said that as Attorney General, he’d seek investigation and prosecution of the Miami Beach Officers who violated the civil rights of Floridians who were open carrying in Miami Beach (see coverage here, here, and here.)

Blaise Ingoglia is the Chairman of the Florida Republican Party and running for reelection as a state representative. Friday describes a conversation he had with Ingoglia this way:

As we were walking and ending the conversation, we mentioned that gun owners were EXTREMELY upset with the legislature over SB 7026 and their performance on 2A issues in recent years. He waved it off stating “Yes, we know”. We then said, “No, we don’t think you do…they’re mad to the point of staying home in November.” He literally stopped and was taken aback.

We related that is the attitude of much of the membership based on the passage of SB 7026 and extreme frustration with the Republican party on not advancing good and meaningful legislation. Having an (R) next to your name is no longer a guaranteed vote.

There were a number of high-ranking Republicans who refused to meet with Florida Carry.

One of those who refused to meet was Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services commissioner Adam Putnam, who’s also running for governor. According to Florida Carry;

“Commissioner Putnam initially declined to meet, then finally agreed to have a staffer meet with us. Numerous texts were exchanged attempting to schedule a meeting were sent, before the staffer stopped responding.”

Senator Bill Galvano likewise did not respond to Florida Carry’s multiple meeting requests.

As for state representative Chris Sprowles,

We requested to meet prior to the summit on June 14. There was no response. At the summit, we again requested a brief meeting, and received an offer to meet in August. To date, the meeting has not occurred.

So much of the Republican establishment has decided not to meet with Florida Carry, but all the Republican outsiders that are supported by President Trump did. It seems that the Florida GOP is going to be facing an uphill battle in November if they continue treating Floridians like this.

comments

1. avatar New Continental Army says:

Well I’ll be voting tomorrow. I’ll be voting for Desantis and White. I haven’t heard of any serious challenge to Scott’s primary but if there is I’ll vote for them too.

1. avatar FedUp says:

IIRC Scott is running unopposed for the US Senate nomination.
      You can do what I do, when there’s only one candidate on the ballot and I’d not vote for him even if Hell froze over:

Write in Satan as the lesser evil.

1. avatar New Continental Army says:

I usually vote for myself, in those situations.

2. avatar MiniMe says:

“IIRC Scott is running unopposed for the US Senate nomination.”

The sample ballot shows a Rocky De La Fuente as an option for Rick Scott, but from what I’ve read so far of this De La Fuente fella, he appears to be yet another RINO so both ballot choices suck.

1. avatar FedUp says:

Born in San Diego, raised in Mexico…anchor baby??
          Wanted to be both Senator and President on the Dem ticket in 2016…loves illegal “immigration” and seems to be quite the NeverTrumper. Sounds like a guy who could make me vote for Scott.

During the 2018 elections, De La Fuente drew headlines when he filed as a candidate for U.S. Senate in nine state primaries. He is campaigning as an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump’s immigration policies.

If Mrs Clinton of Arkansas can run for Senate in NY, why can’t De La Fuente of California and Mexico run in Florida and 8 other states at the same time?

2. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

Either Repub. candidate for governor is a far better alternative then Graham.

Graham has promised ban the sale of AR-pattern (and similar) rifles by decree if elected…

1. avatar KenW says:

“As governor, I will work with cities and counties to restore local control and their ability to protect their communities by directing my Office of General Counsel to assist local governments challenging the state’s preemption law,” Graham said in a release.

Yep, make it a nightmare to travel across Florida.

“My commitment to you is action, not words. I have found a public safety statute which allows the Governor to take emergency action to quell violence] that allows the Governor, whoever she may be, to sign an executive order for public safety reasons banning the sale of military assault weapons,”

She would spend a lot of money and time fighting a losing battle hopefully if the Judges agree she is interpreting the statues wrong. This used to be prominent on her website, she no longer has it there but I pulled it up using the wayback machine.

If you look at her website now she has scrubbed all of the real inflammatory antigun stuff off of it. I guess she is in run silent, run deep mode now.

3. avatar Ronald says:

We don’t need more “let’s make compromises” RINOS and we surely don’t need all the libtards moving in from NY, NJ, MA, PA, IL etc to make FL another state ruined by their nanny state policies. DeSantis is scoring points with that, although I am not interested in open carry (don’t want to tell the bad guy I am packing) I am all good with it for our law abiding Floridians who are interested in such practice.

4. avatar Bigus Dickus says:

I would prefer the bad guy’s first indication that I’m carrying to be the rounds that hit him center mass. I personally don’t like open carry but I’m not going to prevent someone else from exercising their desire to do so.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Those who don’t support OC may suddenly change their minds if their outer garment slips and allows the LEO beside you to see your EDC. After a few thousand bucks in fines, or some private time in jail to think about it, legal OC may start looking pretty good.

1. avatar FedUp says:

BD doesn’t like to OC, but he wants others to have that option.

Sounds like he’s on board with the idea of legalizing deliberate and accidental OC.

5. avatar Ing says:

Like I said before, with Republicans like these, who needs Democrats? The Screw All You Little People Caucus is bipartisan and nationwide.

1. avatar Marty says:

Yea, I’m afraid you’re right. Even here in Utah, it looks like bad boy Romney is going to become our next senator, God forbid.

2. avatar New Continental Army says:

Trumps election proves that voting still matters. If there was some grand conspiracy to alter elections, there’s no way in hell the powers that be would ever allow Trump into the whitehouse.

1. avatar Ing says:

I’m not saying there’s a grand conspiracy to alter elections. I’m just saying that the powerful on both sides have a strong tendency to screw everyone that’s not them.

Every damn one of them would throw you and me and everyone else like us under the bus if they thought it would advance their career in the political machine. When they get to where they think they don’t need your vote, look out.

Trump’s been okay so far, but it’s wisest not to place much trust in him. Or anyone in government, really.

1. avatar Marty says:

The last thing Trump is, is a politician. He is a person who loves his country and hated what politicians were doing to it. I completely agree with him. He has brought this country
          from the brink of disaster. He wasn’t my first choice, but I real glad he is our president.

6. avatar Just Sayin says:

I trust Putnam more than De-
    Putnam has been 100% pro 2A as Ag. Commish.
    (In Fla the concealed carry program is administrated by Dept of Ag.)
    Look at De-missing’s voting record as a House Rep.,
    it’s terrible. Hasn’t even been on roll call half the time.

7. avatar Nanashi says:

DeSantis never introduced the NFA repeal legislation I met with him about, but between him and anti-fair tax Putnam it’s no contest.

For anyone else in district 6, vote Mike Waltz. I’ve met with all 3 candidates for the Republican primary and he’s the only one to support the second amendment. John Ward is an utter hypocrite about it too, telling stories about how great it was that armed citizens kicked the British out of boston before admitting he thinks machine guns and bump stocks “aren’t necessary”

8. avatar uncommon_sense says:

And that is why, sadly, he will not win the primary.

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Huh, I was wrong — and glad to be wrong.

I hope Mr. DeSantis wins the general election.

2. avatar BRUCE CLARK says:

Sorry to break it to you pal, but he won .

9. avatar Docduracoat says:

I early voted for DeSantis.
    If Trump endorses him then I’m for him.
    We need to unseat Democrat Bill Nelson as Florida senator.
    So I will vote for Rick Scott, even though he signed the bump stock ban bill 7026
    I looked up all the candidates for Judge on the Voter registration website and voted for the ones registered as Republican.
    My wife and son voted the same wayS

1. avatar Nanashi says:

“We need to unseat Democrat Bill Nelson as Florida senator.”
      Only if he’s replaced by someone who isn’t an illegal alien loving gun grabber, which Scott is utterly incapable of. Only difference is Nelson winning means there’s a Republican on the ballot in 2024.

“One of those who refused to meet was Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services commissioner Adam Putnam”

Hoggboy hates — HATES!! — Putnam, which is reason enough to vote for him.

11. avatar Sora says:

Why is this damn article so late? I had to research on my own and sent in my ballot weeks ago!
    People have already voted and now you come out with stuff like this.

Next time consolidate and mark by name for easy share among friends before voting begins.

12. avatar BRUCE CLARK says:

You can’t lose by voting a straight party Republican ticket. Scott is not perfect but he sure as hell is better than Nelson.