New from Spike’s Tactical: Spartan AR15 Lower receiver

One of the things Spike’s Tactical is known for is making some great AR-15 lowers with creative markings on the mag well. Now they’ve turned it up to 11 with their latest lower, The Spartan. According to Spike’s website the new lower is inspired by the Spartans who closed the Hot Gates on Xerxes. So there ya go.

This lower was designed by Rare Breed Firearms. Never heard of them? Neither had I, so naturally I asked Jeeves who they are. They’re a design firm with more than a dozen products in the works and if they’re all as cool as The Spartan then Rare Breed will have a nice future.

The Spartan billet bullet hose is machined from 7075 T6 and is Type III Class 2 hard anodized. The unpainted black version will set you back $349.95. A bronze Cerakoted version will run you $399.95.

Personally, I think spending the extra $50 is more than worth it. If you’re willing to spend almost $400 on a lower, you might as well go all the way. Get your lower here. Well, you can back order one anyway.

comments

1. avatar Quasimofo says:

1. avatar Bearpaw says:

Dumb stuff like this is so cool…until it isn’t. Then its a embarrassment at the range and never gonna sell used.

1. avatar Gladius et Scutum says:

Stuff like this looks good in the advertisement. Looks good in your head as you imagine what could be. Looks good in the store. Then you get home and think, “what the hell did I just buy?

(A much less garish) case in point: I was at the gun store the other day looking for an AR dust cover. Saw one with “5.56 NATO” engraved on it and thought it looked kinda cool. Bought it. Got home and put in on the rifle and boy, does it look stupid. In the end, it is your money though, so spend it as you wish.

2. avatar John Beaverton says:

Yeah, totes won’t get in the way of loading a mag…. /sarcasm

3. avatar BobS says:

I like the look in the set paired with a similarly finished upper https://www.rarebreedfirearms.com/collections/spartan/products/spartan-pistol

But it really needs a themed handguard in the same distressed bronze finish, like https://unique-ars.com/shop/hand-guards/15-swords/ or https://unique-ars.com/shop/hand-guards/2015-molon-labe/

Since you’ve made a beautiful but impractical wall-hanger, you could get really obsessive about the look of the stock, grip, controls, magazine…

1. avatar Southern Cross says:

And I thought case modding PCs was excessive.

2. avatar barnbwt says:

I can’t be the only one who sees it on the Molon Labe handguard, lol. Hold my beer, Keymod…

4. avatar D says:

Sweet. I like

5. avatar Indiana Tom says:

I want a lower with Elmer Fudd on it.

1. avatar barnbwt says:

S – Duck Season
      A – Rabbit Season
      F – Elmer Season

2. avatar No one of consequence says:

With wood furniture…

6. avatar barnbwt says:

“Inspired by Spartans” yeah, more like inspired by a homo-erotic mega-melodrama called “300.” Whatever, I remain impressed by the quality of their machining, if nothing else.

I love how they couldn’t bring themselves to engrave in a grave-style font, or selector markings. I’m sure the guy who did all the CAD design work on the lower could have pulled that off. They need to hire the Blaser thematic-gun artists for advice (at least those tacky things are coherent)

1. avatar Southern Cross says:

You could look up “300 Farting Spartans” on YouTube. It had my son laughing so hard he was crying.

1. avatar el Possum Guapo says:

I’m going too, that sounds funny… Oh that’s an ugly gun BTW, the grip looks hard to hold and there’s no trigger that I can see? The hooded sight is kinda cool, but where’s the barrel bull? This should be called the “Predator” because it looks like something it would have

1. avatar Scoutino says:

I can’t believe you have never seen stripped lower receiver, so I will take it as a joke. You are kidding, right?

7. avatar Texican says:

I’m thinking someone could come up with a bolt on solution for a regular receiver and sell it for $50 or less.

8. avatar Cucamonga Jeff says:

Should say on the selector…
    Safe
    Semi
    THIS IS SPARTA!!!

1. avatar Green Mtn. Boy says:

Dang,wished I would have thought of that,Thumbs up to you.

9. avatar Green Mtn. Boy says:

I like the looks of the Ceracoated bronze one and at only 50 clams difference,Oh what the heck.

10. avatar neiowa says:

So for the price of a COMPLETE M4 kit from Palmetto. Fools and their money…..

11. avatar How_Terrible says:

I’ll pass. I’m just not into flashy stuff like that.

12. avatar Stereodude says:

But where does this one fall on the things the prosecutor will try to use against you in a court case scale?

13. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

For $400 it should be machined from actual antique bronze so there’d be no need to cerakote it.

14. avatar Egghead says:

I got a san tan tac stt-15 with Cerakoted controls for about 300 and i got to go to the place where they make it got to sit across for the owners desk as he did my backround check.

15. avatar Guardiano says:

Sharps Bros (who actually make the Warthog, Hellbreaker, and Jack lowers, not Spike’s), already made a much nicer version of this called the Overthrow. I wouldn’t buy either one, but the Overthrow is a much more attractive product.

A Hellbreaker, absolutely. Just need an 80% to come out again. With a custom cerakote job and wood grips, a WWII themed AR-15 is gonna be one of my down-the-road builds.

16. avatar Gladius et Scutum says:

Is it not kind of odd that the American gun culture loves to celebrate a brutally opressive society that strictly limited the possession of weapons and arms to the elite?

17. avatar GunnyGene says:

You won’t be able to buy squat from Spikes anymore. Shopify who hosts their website is shutting them down, along with several other on-line dealers. See this:

18. Am I the only one that finds irony in the “spartan” idea and an expensive lower?