Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan Ignores Law, Signs Local Gun Control Ordinance

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan Ignores Law, Signs Local Gun Control Ordinance

Image via KIRO-TV.

Who needs the rule of law when you have good intentions, right? For decades, Washington State’s preemption law has blocked cities from enacting their own gun control regimes. In spite of that, Seattle’s brave social justice warrior mayor just signed a firearms “safe storage” ordinance. Because, well, guns. Those icky guns.

Not long ago, the Seattle City Council approved the local ordinance. Earlier this week, Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan signed it into law. With her police chief Carmen Best at her side, Herhonner claimed the new law will save lives. Additionally, she claimed, it will keep children from living in fear waiting for the next spree killing.

Here in the real world, we know her claims are utterly baseless. Obviously, no violent criminal will care about a $500 fine. On the other hand, the new law will hamper the self-defense rights of the law-abiding in King County’s biggest city.

On occasion, it might even leave residents or visitors sleepless in Seattle, worried about crime. The NRA has the facts:

…The ordinance, if signed by Mayor Jenny Durkan, will impose a one-size-fits-all method of storing firearms as well as punish victims of theft by requiring them to report a lost or stolen firearm within 24 hours or face increased fines.

For some reason, Mayor Durkan made no mention of flouting the rule of law when it comes to local gun ordinances during her signing ceremony.

Assuming the act takes effect next February as scheduled, it will impose civil, not criminal, penalties for violations. From the Mayor’s website:

Penalties for failing to safely store or for not reporting lost or stolen firearms within 24 hours after the loss or theft is discovered:

• Basic requirement to store: Up to $500 fine (or community service) for failure by any person to store or keep any firearm in any premises in a locked container.

• Accessed by prohibited person: Up to $1,000 fine (or community service) if the firearm is obtained by youth, prohibited purchaser or an “at-risk person” (expressing suicidal or harmful ideation).

• Harm done by prohibited person: Up to $10,000 fine per victim if prohibited person uses the firearm to injure, kill, or commit a crime.

The fine folks at the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF), based in neighboring Bellevue, Washington don’t think much of this new ordinance. Hence, SAF head honcho Alan Gottlieb promises a court challenge. A wise and prudent man wouldn’t bet against Mr. Gottlieb when it comes to legal challenges.

As for Mayor Durkan, perhaps she has more pressing issues for the City of Seattle besides picking a fight with gun owners.  She has her work cut out for her with plenty of big city problems, everything from police reform to a growing homeless population in her deep blue city. Instead, she’s keeping busy by conspicuously virtue signaling, signing a blatantly illegal local gun control ordinance into law. Good luck, Seattleites.

comments

1. avatar Rimfire says:

“Blue” cities seem to be in a race to see who can be the most outlandish. Each is trying to outdo the other in a downward spiral. For a city, any city to place itself above the state’s law is contrary to the law. Yet these leftist corrupt places do this with impunity. That strip of land from San Fan thru Seattle is so far down the sewer already it has become a communist socialist shit hole.

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

” That strip of land from San Fan thru Seattle is so far down the sewer already it has become a communist socialist shit hole.”

You mean *literal* shithole.

San Fransisco is budgeting something like 30 million a year just to respond to reports of human defecation on the city streets and sidewalks.

The Leftists are all about making sure impoverished countries get basic toilet facilities, yet they are perfectly fine with people shitting on the streets of San Fran, considered the most ‘Progressive’ city in the USA…

1. avatar Scoutino says:

Well the super smart leaders of those progressive centers banned plastic shopping bags, which homeless people used as portable toilets, ….to help the environment. Unintended consequences are funny sometimes.

2. avatar Ingenero says:

Sadly, the, uh, *excrement* problem extends all the way down to San Diego (see the recent Hep B outbreak and steam cleaning of city streets). It keeps spreading, to detriment of mainly the most vulnerable.

3. avatar Ed Schrade says:

Seems like it would be a crime to violate a state law. Looks to me that the state attorney general should file charges on the mayor and city council for violating a state law and impeach these socialists.

1. avatar Scoutino says:

Right? How come the mayor doesn’t suffer some very personal punishment for her law breaking?

1. avatar Badtrevor says:

Because she legally broke the law.. see its just ridiculous. Maybe Seattle is succeeding from Wa.? I cant help but joke at this, 2A? Yeah right, keep our way and dont you dare bear..

4. avatar Bill says:

Excellent time to start voting the libturds right out of office for “doing whatever the hell they want to do”. Clean house, drain the swamp or whatever else you wish to call it, it is definitely time to get the libturds paying attention to WHO the boss really is.

5. avatar Js says:

That is why we have the Santa Ana Fault. One day that part of the continent will break away and disappear into the ocean.

Hey, Mayor Durkoff, I’m on your side: I don’t give a sh!t about your damn laws either and intend to break as many of them as possible.

Can I be Mayor too?

1. avatar David Deplorable says:

Run Jen-nay run!

1. avatar Clyde Buhrman says:

remember a jenny is a female donkey ( jenny female Ass )

3. avatar BlakeW83 says:

So we’re punishing victims of theft now? Very progressive indeed Seattle.

1. avatar SurfGW says:

Not punishing victims of theft; just punishing irresponsible gun owners who invite theft.
      Like stories of boot camp when drill instructors steal rifles from recruits in the field at night; after the theft is discovered, the recruits are punished and everyone learns to tie the sling to their arm when they sleep.
      Gun owners must be responsible or it invites more restrictions. Lock up your guns.

1. avatar Michael Keevert says:

How about we punish irresponsible Mayors who blatantly break the law.

2. avatar Scoutino says:

We should also punish irresponsible women who invite rape. That will teach them to wear short skirts and not chastity belts!

If my neighbor steals a spade from my unlocked shed and proceeds to kill his wife with it, should I get punished too? I swear I didn’t invite him to steal from me!

3. avatar Longhaired Redneck says:

SurfGW: “…just punishing irresponsible gun owners who invite theft”.

Invite theft? Would l ‘invite’ a thief into my home? Not very likely. How does a thief know whether or not my guns are secured in accordance with your standards? I’ll tell you how. He illegally enters my home, that’s how. So how is it that l am to be held responsible for someone breaking in to my house? I am white, and do sport (from birth) a penis, and I do enjoy the privilege of having been gainfully employed for the past 45 plus years, but that shouldn’t make me responsible for the illegal misdeeds of some fatherless miscreant, whether or not it involves my property. I suggest you reevaluate your pontifical position and adopt a more reasonable attitude regarding the criminal misuse of the property of law abiding members of the public, i.e. your family, friends, and neighbors. Thank you.

4. avatar FedUp says:

Remember MamaLiberty, the retired firearms instructor who hasn’t been seen in the comments here for a while?

RIP, Mama:

1. avatar Nigel the Expat says:

Damn. Thanks for the info.

She always had good stuff to say.

1. avatar SoCalJack says:

I agree. She did share her wisdom.

2. avatar dlj95118 says:

(sigh)

I had email with her late last year concerning a move to Wyoming. She was very friendly and willing to answer all my questions.

A sad day…

3. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Yup. She was battling a rather aggressive cancer.
      RIP Mama.

Oh crap. She was awesome. RIP.

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

What Ralph said.

I always enjoyed reading her comments…

5. avatar Bloving says:

Oh no…
      Hey, Dan – I think Mama is worthy of a obituary article here on TTAG.
      A great loss for us all.

6. avatar SouthAl says:

That sucks. I’d like to see TTAG do an article about her. What about it Dan?

Didn’t see blovings post when I posted. I’ll second.

7. avatar C.S. says:

🙁 RIP

8. avatar Moltar says:

Damn I’m still reading through her book she sent me… RIP MamaLiberty.
      I’ll third the recommendation for a TTAG Eulogy and Obit for her.

9. avatar A Brit in TX says:

Very sad news, RIP Mama, I always looked forward to her comments, truly a unique lady.

10. avatar Jenny Durkan says:

Mama Liberty often advocated for a second American civil war that she herself as an old, obese ( and apparently dying woman) would not have to fight in. Among the chicken hawks here she was one of the most possessed of the convictions of younger, fitter males courage. I wonder if she ever expressed this desire to her grand son to see him fight and die on his own native soil?

1. avatar Scoutino says:

She was a wise woman. Tree of Liberty…

11. avatar Klaus Von Schmitto says:

That is awful news. She was clearly a no-compromise woman when it came to our rights and she’ll be missed. I think a TTAG obit would be in order too.

5. avatar Todd says:

I live in WA, and refuse to go to Seattle unless it’s required for work, travel.

It’s the San Francisco of the Northwest, the homeless just aren’t as aggressive and backed-by-the-law.

Yet.

1. avatar Southern Cross says:

San Francisco does have a particular ambience. But to most people it just reeks of urine and faeces.

1. avatar Chris T from KY says:

The Socialist Progressive enjoy the smell of feces and urine in public spaces.

1. avatar Geoff "Mess with the Bull, get the Horns" PR says:

Yet they want to spend your taxpayer money to build toilets in impoverished countries…

2. avatar El Duderino says:

I moved from the west side to the east. I don’t believe I’ve been in the Seattle city limits for at least 18 months, if not 2 years. I am a little morbidly fascinated with how the current leadership is flushing the city down the drain. I just hope I don’t have to bail them out too much. That, or income taxes and I might as well just cross the last few miles into Idaho.

1. avatar Art out West says:

East side of Lake Wahington, or East side of the Cascades?
        Kirkland,Bellevue,Renton, or Yakima, Ellensburg, Spokane, Walla Walla, Kennewick?
        The words East side are used in both senses.
        Either way, I’m glad you got out of Seattle.

1. avatar Kenneth says:

Got to be Spokane. Likely out in Spokane Valley. That’s just a few miles from Idaho.

6. avatar yolo says:

visited seattle invited by a prospective employer. surrounding area is beautiful as is the city itself. once i started taking a look around and doing touristy things for a couple of days 2 things stood out the most:

1- this is the whitest city I have ever seen, take that how you need it.
    2- the homeless population is out of control. I was confronted everytime I entered or left a restaurant or paused on the street to write a text or google use google maps. I would never let anyone in my family anywhere near that city at night.

Good news though, I didn’t get the job and I get to stay in Texas 🙂

1. avatar neiowa says:

Your #1 is certainly “racist” and has WHAT relevance to ANYTHING.

Lived in Puget Sound 30yrs ago (about the time Komifornians started to move in). Loved it, beautiful area. Was overrun with “homeless”/bums then Would return about the same time I’d move to Chiraq.

1. avatar Hannibal says:

His #1 is relevant because it’s a very liberal city that loves to talk about diversity- and how everyone else must be diverse- while being extremely homogeneous.

2. avatar CarlosT says:

While there has to be a whiter city out there, Seattle is pretty dang white. As of the 2010 Census, the ethnic breakdown was as follows:

– White: 69.5% (Non-Hispanic Whites: 66.3%)
        – Asian: 13.8% (4.1% Chinese, 2.6% Filipino, 2.2% Vietnamese, 1.3% Japanese, 1.1% Korean, 0.8% Indian, 0.3% Cambodian, 0.3% Laotian, 0.2% Pakistanis, 0.2% Indonesian, 0.2% Thai)
        – Black or African American: 7.9%
        – Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 9.0% (4.0% Mexican, 2.3% Puerto Rican, 1.3% Colombian, 0.2% Guatemalan, 0.2% Salvadoran, 0.2% Cuban)
        – American Indian and Alaska Native: 0.8%
        – Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.4%
        – Other race: 2.4%
        – Two or more races: 5.1%

3. avatar Trek says:

Your #1 is certainly “racist” and has WHAT relevance to ANYTHING.

How is it racist at all? Racial cohorts vary in the extreme in gun crime commission rates. African Americans are about 13.7% of the US population and commit about 52% of US gun murder.

So Seattle with about half the national average black population, and about 1/4 the national average for cities, is going to have way less murder. The point is they can’t call that a policy based lower murder rate, when it is rather a reflection of their demographics.

Seattle claims a lower than national average murder for a city of its size, but adjusted for racial demographics, Seattle has a much higher murder rate than average.

4. avatar Casey says:

His #1 isn’t racist, Seattle is. Incredibly.

I knew a Seattle-native woman in her late 30s, and I was there when she met her first black person. Literally the first black person she has talked to in the decades that she’s been alive. She felt the need to comment that “they” are just like people. And her friends DIDNT BAT AN EYE.

In two decades of working at four different downtown companies, I had ONE black coworker. His name was Dana, and I believe he was only hired because he was also flamingly gay, which would have made it a discrimination issue (because black clearly doesn’t).

Source – I lived there for 20 years, recently. That whole metro area has gone to shit just in the last 6 years, and fug-bucking insane in the last 3. Which is why I moved to St Louis, which is far less racist than Seattle, and we have Ferguson.

7. avatar Rastan says:

Safe storage laws don’t reduce accident, crime or suicide.

They are just a way to criminalize many aspects of gun ownership

8. avatar uncommon_sense says:

So, this mayor is using her office to infringe upon our rights under color of law. Sounds like yet another example where a federal prosecutor should prosecute her for “Deprivation of rights under color of law”.

9. avatar CZ Peasy says:

Let’s fine rape victims for not wearing sufficiently tight pants.

1. avatar Alex Waits says:

Only if they fail to report the rape within 24 hours. Because arbitrary timeframes matter.

10. avatar Timothy Toroian says:

This bitch thinks her name is Zuckerberg. Oops, I mean god.

11. avatar Chris T from KY says:

Having grown up in the 1970s it’s amazing to me how it’s always been the conservatives who are The Defenders of the Bill of Rights. It never really was people who call themselves liberals.

12. avatar TheOtherDavid says:

Seattle is the only place where I’ve actually seen a city government sign that said “iIllegal Activities Prohibited.”

Which by definition seems to imply that unless otherwise specified plenty of other illegal activities are fine — like public urination, defecation, and gun laws that flout preemption.

13. avatar Mark N. says:

I’ve read more than once that the City s having difficulty empaneling juries because no prospective juror wants to wade through the bums, feces and urine surrounding the courthouse. I can’t imagine whet the public library(ies) are like. I am supposing that City Hall has a large police presence, though, so that the City Council doesn’t have to face on of the most pressing issues of the day. I must say, though, that I really liked the fish market the one time I was there. The weather not so much. (It’s 106 here today. Nice and toasty!)

1. avatar CarlosT says:

Yeah, the area around the courthouse is seriously disgusting. Third-world conditions.

2. avatar Big Bill says:

106 in Seattle yesterday?
      Are you sure you weren’t inside a bakery?

14. avatar D says:

The mayor and council members who voted for it should be personally liable for the legal fees to fight it

15. avatar thevictoriousgecko says:

“Additionally, she claimed, it will keep children from living in fear waiting for the next spree killing.”

Helen Lovejoy always thinks of the children.

1. avatar Hannibal says:

Kids would equally not be in fear if people stopped trying to scare them by taking them to protests about gun violence.

Kids have more chance die in a car accident or drown in a pool than get shot to death. Why aren’t kids terrified of cars and pools? Because the idiots raising them don’t want them to be afraid of cars or pools.

16. avatar Hellguard says:

It’s tyrants like this that need to get run out of WA. Seattle’s overlords like Kshama Sawant, need to get run out of the U.S.A. Before they ruin everything and blame it on someone else!

1. avatar CinciJim says:

Uh, no… I mean NO… thank you. Running them out of WA just sends them to another state they can uck fup royally.

WA needs to deal with their problems without transferring them to some other unsuspecting state.

17. avatar scottlac says:

What good is a preemption law if it doesn’t have teeth? Kentucky’s preemption law makes it a misdemeanor crime for local politicians to pass local laws and such. Who gets punished in Seattle? The taxpayers who fund the defense of this lawless mayor?

1. avatar CarlosT says:

Got it in one.

2. avatar SurfGW says:

The pre-emption law bans gun control; this law is arguably gun storage because it says nothing about the legality of the firearms in the city.

1. avatar Scoutino says:

Forcing me to lock up all my guns or pay a fine IS gun control. You may like it, but it doesn’t change the fact it is illegal.

2. avatar Longhaired Redneck says:

SurfGW, read my response to your previous comment…

18. avatar m. says:

Libcom d-rat may-whore signed the lock-up “law” because she does not want her constituents & relatives to get shot up while they are car-jacking, home-invading, mugging, etc. D-rats support gun control because they want their victims defenseless, same as abortion-rights aholes.

19. avatar Kap says:

Another Democrat, Elitist thinks she is above the Law, May the bird of paradise fly over and Sh*t on her head

20. avatar Charles says:

Hey mayor…… that goes for any of your people and those fine law abiding officers that you have under your thumb.. i hope you and all of your cronies gets your pants sued off….

This is unconstitutional and it will not hold up in a court of law…..

You cant blame a person if their weapon is stolen……. its not the victims fault that some theif cant control their urges and not steal……

No why in hell would i move there….

Cant see another term in office….

21. avatar Infidel762X51 says:

The left only follow laws they agree with.

22. avatar Zebra dun says:

Vote her out of office, move or take it up in a higher court. Yes the laws are about restricting law abiding citizens.