NRA-Endorsed Georgia Governor Candidate Is No Friend Of Gun Owners

Back in April, the NRA’s Political Victory Fund endorsed Georgia Lt. Governor Casey Cagle for his run for the top seat in the Peach State. Here’s how NRA announced it.

On behalf of our members in Georgia, the National Rifle Association’s Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF) proudly announces its endorsement of Georgia Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle for governor and Sen. David Shafer for lieutenant governor. Cagle has an “A+” rating based on his more than two decades spent advancing self-defense rights and the interests of gun owners and sportsmen across Georgia. Shafer also has earned an “A+” rating for strong leadership on Second Amendment issues and an unwavering defense of our personal liberties.

“At a time when the five million members of the NRA are under attack like never before, Casey Cagle has very publicly chosen to stand with us,” said NRA-PVF Chairman Chris W.Cox.  “Our endorsement reflects Cagle’s unwavering support to advance self-defense rights and the interests of gun owners and sportsmen across Georgia.

Cagle is going up against Secretary of State Brian Kemp next month in a runoff for the Republican nomination.

As a NRA Life Member and a Florida resident who lives just south of the Georgia line, I know what’s it is like when the NRA backs anti-gun politicians who go on to stab gun owners in the back. Florida Gov. Rick Scott and the entire debacle that is the Florida Republican Party have been perfect examples.

So why is this Floridian watching Georgia politics so closely? Because I was thinking of moving there to escape Florida. But here’s a quick rundown of Cagle’s record for Georgia gun owners:

• 2013: SB188 (Campus Carry) was introduced twice within that legislative session but Cagle refused to allow the Georgia Senate to have a floor vote.
  • 2014: Cagle wanted to have ‘training requirements’ inserted into HB65 when the bill being debated and amended in the Conference Committee.
  • 2016: While hosting a forum with Georgia’s religious leaders; Cagle told them that Campus Carry was not “responsible” and he “does not agree with this and other legislation being pushed upon our state.”
  • 2017: The Georgia Legislature passed Campus Carry but Cagle said it was a “thoughtful compromise” when he allowed his College and Career Academies to remain on the exemption list.
  • 2017: Cagle sent SB177 (Georgia Constitutional Carry) to die in committee and blocked three additional Pro-Gun amendments to be heard in the Senate.
  • 2018: Cagle during an interview with the news stated “Georgia is in a very good position where our gun laws stand today, and I know of no areas where gun rights need to be expanded in the state.”

Apparently the grass isn’t any greener on the other side of the border.

The NRA is backing a pol with what I consider to be an anti-gun record. This one just happened to wave the NRA flag when Delta decided to cancel its discount partnership with the NRA. Yes, Cagle is the Georgia politician who took Delta Airline’s $40 million fuel tax break away.

But when it comes to the question of constitutional carry in Georgia . . .

Cagle also said he’s not in favor of “constitutional carry” proposals that would allow legal gun owners to conceal and carry handguns without a permit.

A bill to eliminate carry permits got no traction in the 2018 session of the legislature.

”Georgia is in a very good position where our gun laws stand today,” Cagle said, adding he knows of no areas where gun rights need to be expanded in the state.

Surely Georgia can do better.

comments

1. avatar FedUp says:

So Cagle supports duck hunters and the NRA, and the NRA supports Cagle, and to heck with the real reason for the 2A?

And they’re endorsing him over a guy who holds guns in his campaign advertising (that Kemp guy who was falsely accused of pointing a shotgun at a teen)?

Let me guess, the real reason the NRA is endorsing Cagle is he’s a well established GOP politician and they think he stands the best chance of beating the Dems (like saying Kasich could beat Hillary when everybody knew Trump couldn’t).

1. avatar Frank says:

It’s all about money for the NRA. If cage gets elected, they can try to get more PAYING members because he of his views and to go against him. The NRA is not really a 2A origination, they are a money one.

1. avatar Ed says:

I’ve said it for years now…the NRA has no interest in actually fixing all the injustices that have been heaped on gun-owners for the last 80+ years. Their ONLY worry is driving up paid memberships and donations. If at the very least they actually got national reciprocity and the HPA passed people might feel like their 2A rights are no longer under imminent threat…and that wouldn’t be good for business now, would it? How would LaPiere and co afford to pay themselves the stupid amounts of money they are used to robbing from the members? With friends like this, who needs enemas? FUDDS. THE WHOLE NRA BOARD…EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM.

2. avatar Marty says:

Yup, if you remember this happened when the NRA endorsed harry reid in Nevada. They based it on reid’s helping to build a shooting range. They did not even check the idiots voting record which should have rated a F. I and millions of others took exception to the NRA to the point where they withdrew the endorsement. The point is when a person takes on the responsibility of voting for a person, look at their voting record!

1. avatar Nanashi says:

And John McCain over Dr. Ward.

2. avatar CC says:

Reid voted pro Second Amendment for many many years. After he changed the NRA dumped him., WTF is wrong with the NRA doing that?

1. avatar Marty says:

I’ve had a few problems with the NRA over the decades. The big problem is I’m a life member, and can’t just quit paying my dues. I had a battle with Cris Cox and they switched me over to some law enforcement dude to communicate with. The battle was involving the NRA giving A drug dealer $500 because the police had a case on him and when they found out he had firearms registered to him, they obtained a ‘no knock’ warrant. For God’s sake, they bought drugs from him! The next was them endorsing harry reid. I’m a life member, but I won’t put up with their helping anti gun politicians or criminals.

1. avatar frank speak says:

don’t recommend becoming a life member…you need to make them earn your membership…

2. avatar Marty says:

I became a life member 47 years ago. That was before any other 2nd A groups existed, at least to my knowledge.

3. avatar Sam I Am says:

Likely the NRA prefers elites, as the leaders of NRA believe themselves to be I’m sure. Elites are not about letting the vassals control the government. Which is the long way ’round saying the NRA lives in the swamp, and cannot really disengage meaningfully.

Continuing to vote my wallet; no funds for organizations whose claim to fame is nothing more than, “We are not as bad as….”

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Which is the entire Democratic Party platform.

4. avatar New Continental Army says:

Sounds about right. The biggest hurdle to constitutional carry in Georgia and many other states is the revenue stream. Even deep red legislatures don’t like giving up easy cash flow.

5. avatar Garrison Hall says:

The NRA is like a dowager empress who has been on her throne for most of a lifetime and makes decisions based on ingrained understandings that may have been commonsense at some point in the past but are now seen as eccentric and mysterious. Deciding to bet on a RINO who’s more Fudd than 2nd Amendment supporter during a time of great threat is a good example.

6. avatar Green Mtn. Boy says:

I tend to consult GOA’s ratings and totally discount Negotiating Rights Away since 1934 as their heart isn’t in the Second Amendment.

1. avatar 16V says:

“Negotiating Rights Away”. I like it.

I use “Not Really Allies”, but I might start working that in. Agreed completely, they’ve never been more than a fairweather friend of the 2A, from their founding until right now.

Publicly supporting NFA, FFA, GCA and every other Constitutional violation, while occasionally throwing gun owners some minor thing they didn’t help take away. And calling it a “victory!”.

Frighteningly the lap dogs lick it up….

1. avatar Green Mtn. Boy says:

16 v

Heres the list,that is Negotiating Rights Aways complicity in the infringement of the Second Amendment as none of these aforementioned bills became law ,without Negotiating Rights Agway’s finger prints on them.

History
        1791: The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is ratified.
        The amendment reads:

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
        the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

After That
        1871: The National Rifle Association was formed by Union Army veterans Col. William C. Church
        and Gen. George Wingate.

After that, they start going the other way

1934:  http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/nfa.htm

1939 http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/gca.htm

1968: http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/gca.htm

1986:  http://www.constitution.org/2ll/2ndschol/46hard.pdf

1993 https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/5087/text

1994 https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/5087/text

What is a inalienable individual right and what is a privilege?
        What does “shall not be infringed” plainly mean?
        Does the NRA support the unalienable individual right of the individual to keep and bear arms that shall not be infringed by government or does the NRA support government privileges?

7. avatar Docduracoat says:

What can we Floridians do about Rick Scott?
    He signed the anti gun bill here when the Republicans had the governor, and both houses of the legislature.
    He is running unopposed in the primary.
    I am tempted to not vote and let Democrat Bill Nelson keep the U.S. Senator seat in Washington
    RINOS need to be spanked!

1. avatar FedUp says:

Only one Republican candidate for Senate?
      Organize your friends and have a write in campaign for Satan on the Republican primary.

2. avatar Nanashi says:

Don’t just abstain from the senate vote. Vote Nelson directly. If Nelson wins there’s a Republican on the ballot in 2024 and it sends a strong lesson to those who would follow Scott’s direction. If Scott wins we get more Kasich style tumors in government.

3. avatar ollie says:

If the dems take the senate, we will have a liberal SCOTUS within 4 years and all Anti 2A legislation will be upheld for the next 100 years. You people are cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The government won’t have to come and take your guns, you will be voluntarily turning them in to meet court-approved gun ban requirements of mortgage companies, insurance companies, utility companies and other service providers.

Only very wealthy folks and thugs will possess firearms.

1. avatar Ansel Hazen says:

Take a look at the voting record of every legislator, Senate and House, for the recent omnibus bill that had the fix nics language snuck into it. THEY ARE NOT LISTENING. THEY COULD CARE LESS WHAT YOU WANT.

The ONLY solution at this point is to make them all absolutely petrified of the level of SHTF that will go down if they continue this BS and try a gun grab.

8. avatar Salty Bear says:

NRA Is No Friend Of Gun Owners.

FIFY.

9. avatar Rusty Chains says:

Cagle, fought hard AGAINST campus carry and he was luke warm at best on the “guns anywhere” expansion of the Georgia Carry License. There are other things he has fought against that I support, in addition he is the reason Georgia is one of only three states where you can’t buy wine or liqueur on line, because distributors have been lining his pockets for years. Kemp is a much better choice and I will be voting for him.

1. avatar Marty says:

Rusty, wine and liquor mail order? I live in a state which is so anti liquor, they have an 80% tax on the stuff. Where I used to buy my bourbon (Evan Williams) for 14.00 for a 1.75 ltr bottle, I’m now required to pay 28.00 a bottle. Ya can’t even buy a beer mail order. Utah is definitely very anti booze, and now I find out the POS governor is even considering numerous anti gun bills. Get me the fuck out of here.

1. avatar ‘liljoe says:

Really? I buy wine mostly but I find the prices in Utah about the same as they were in NV… I do hate having to buy from the state store though… don’t tell me where I can buy my crap!

1. avatar Marty says:

Joe, you’re right, wine is about the same price, maybe even a little cheaper than Kalifornia and Nevada. Booze on the other hand is off the wall. When I’m close to St. George, I always drive the 20 or so miles to Mesquite to stock up. AZ and CO are other good places. In the west, OR, WA, ID, MT and WY are all high tax liquor states, although WY allows it to be sold at Walmart for reasonable (compared to UT) prices.

10. avatar Chris says:

I can’t stand the NRA because they’re broadcast what I wish to keep private! The last pistol I bought from Turners, they sold my name and address to the NRA and I keep getting junk mail. I’ve called, I’ve emailed, it keeps coming. I am trying to live under the radar, with their junk mail I might as well be going around town putting up flyers. My next step is the post office to file ps form 1500 related to obscene material to get them to stop. The next one that comes with a postage-paid label is being sent a box of bricks that they’ll have to pay for.

1. avatar CC says:

GOA pesters you even more.

membership organizations work that way.

11. avatar anarchyst says:

The NRA failed when it allowed the National Firearms Act of 1934 to stand without offering opposition, the 1968 Gun Control Act, the “instant check” system, the “no new machine gun for civilians” ban in 1986, the so-called “assault weapons ban in 1991, and other infringements on the Second Amendment. Let’s face it. What better way to increase membership than to “allow” infringements to be enacted and then push for a new membership drive. Yes, the NRA has done good, but its spirit of “compromise” will only lead to one thing…confiscation.
    If the NRA is truly the premier “gun rights” organization, it must reject ALL compromise…

1. avatar 16V says:

FWIW, It didn’t “allow without opposition”, it was fully publicly supportive of NFA, FFA, GCA and a host of other infringements.

1. avatar Ed says:

God damn right! The NRA has been steadily fucking gun owners over for years, FOR PROFIT!

12. avatar anarchyst says:

Quite often, firearms owners are their own worst enemies. The duck hunters don’t like the AR-15 “black rifles” so they see no problem if attempts are made to ban them. The traditional rifle owners don’t like machine guns, so they have no problem with them being legislated out of existence. Some pistol owners see nothing wrong with certain long guns being outlawed just as some rifle owners would have no problem seeing pistols banned.
    Friends, ALL firearms advocates must “hang together” and realize that an assault on ANY means of firearms ownership and self-defense is an assault on ALL forms of firearms ownership and self-defense.
    There is absolutely NO ROOM for complacency among ANY Second Amendment supporters. An attack on one is an attack on ALL…
    ALL firearms laws are unconstitutional on their face. Imagine the hue and cry if “reasonable” restrictions were placed on First Amendment activities, especially with the “mainstream media”. The Second Amendment is clear–what part of “shall not be infringed” do politicians and the media not understand…of course, they understand full well…it’s part of their communist agenda…

1. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Bingo. Fudds are deadly.

13. avatar Dave in PTC says:

I live in Georgia. Peachtree City (PTC).

Governor Deal betrayed us.
    Cagle betrayed us.
    They are the worst kind of RINOs. Ones who pretend to have morals/principles but have none. I am disgusted and outraged at Cagle’s TV spots.

I have lost confidence in the NRA.
    They are playing a strategy without an eye on the prize, FREEDOM.

I am angry.

1. avatar Mtn Man says:

Yep. Cagle is an unvarnished piece of $#!+, and Kemp is a bumbling dumbass. Both are equally repulsive. And yet, we’re left with no other options to put up against a multiple-bankruptcy, urban-constituents-only Dem candidate (never once has that woman ever ventured up into my part of the state for any reason that I can find).

We’ve got one hell of a choice this time around.

14. avatar Paul says:

The NRA should be the NFA, National Fudd Association. It seems that they support the militarization of police, the rich conservative gun owners, but not the poor that wish to have protection(mostly from poor criminals that live in the same hoods).
    While the citizens that are much richer are scared of the hood class, the people that have full time jobs, better jobs(even in the lower middle class) are the most common victims of these thugs and have more need of personal protection.
    Some of the rich feel that the lower middle class will come and use guns against them and vote and lobby to restrict them from firearms. This is who the NRA supports.

1. avatar Indiana Tom says:

The NRA should be the NFA, National Fudd Association.
      I am loving it. Made my day!

15. avatar Dan says:

I’m a Georgia voter.
    I think that I’ll pass on Cagle the weasle.

16. avatar NRA Life Member says:

Remember, we are members of the NRA for one specific reason, to get discounts with Delta for our flights to the NRA Annual Meeting. The 13 of us, all NRA members, are now forced to pay the normal ticket price. This ain’t right. LOL.

The NRA has certainly set its priorities: discounts over the right to keep and bear arms.

17. avatar Felixd says:

So, an anti-NRA article being run before the mid terms with so many piling on to say “me too”. How many individual people have actually written these comments? Is this simply agitation propaganda or, if it’s genuine, how many actually pay dues? What have the complainers done to combat the ultra left? When have they even written a letter to any politician to push for our liberties? Why have you chosen the most dangerous time in decades for our individual liberties to complain about the one organization that has actually done something for all of us, even for those who never commit their time or money to their own cause. If your complaint is they didn’t do enough in 1934 to prevent the NFA, or still whine about GCA 68, get over it. The here and now says get off your butt, write a letter, march on your state capital, join your state association, and let those in office know you expect them to protect individual rights. Ask yourself if you’ve become one of those that Paine described in The American Crisis. If you have just put your big boy pants on and join the fight.

1. avatar TheUnspoken says:

We can complain about the politicians, especially those Republicrats who betrayed us. We can complain about the NRA not doing enough, or lack of purity, begging for money, etc, I see it frequently.

I am asking seriously, though, in a case such as this, where we have the NRA giving an A+ support to a non-worthy candidate, what is the best way to actually protest to the NRA itself? I mean sure, people say not one more dollar, but if we want the NRA to better represent us or change their view, does calling help? Email form? Writing the board? I wouldn’t mind the NRA being more honest, so rather than shower Cagle with praise, maybe they could explain why he is the better of evils, maybe dock his grade but give some strategy if there is some to why he would be a good vote. Or change their opinion.

1. avatar Sam I Am says:

“Anyway, it would be nice if there was a good route for expressing concern to the NRA if one disagrees with something they do. Just wondering if there was a good way to do that.”

Not really. NRA leadership organized itself such that there can be no directional change the leadership opposes. The members do not have any direct mechanism to facilitate change. The only means available is for all members to abandon the NRA entirely. This is not likely because too many gun owners are not committed 2A supporters. Which is why GSL, GOA, RMGO and other groups are becoming larger. They still lack the size and funding of NRA, but those groups are more civil rights oriented.

The Left (all of them) believes the NRA, with a minuscule budget compared to Soros, Bloomberg and Gates, controls congress and defeats all the over-funded leftist anti-gun groups. NRA seems to be operating in the “mother, may I” mindset.

2. avatar Marty says:

Unspoken, I said it earlier, but I’ll say it again. When the NRA did the same thing about rabid anti gunner harry reid, senator from Nevada, I wrote to Cox explaining how the NRA was horribly wrong about reid. I included anti gun bills reid had supported, sponsored or voted for. So did untold others. Again you need to be explicit in the voting record. It worked, and the NRA withdrew their sponsorship. The power of the pen with truth really does work. Not just those from Georgia. I’ve never lived in Nevada, but I knew all about reid and let them know. Maybe, even here, you can educate those on this site on what this POS did that was anti gun in the past. We can research it and then write to the NRA explaining the error of their ways. My guess with enough complaints, they’ll pull their sponsorship.

2. avatar NRA Life Member says:

The NRA leadership knows exactly what is going on. They know that they pissed off a significant number of members with their actions lately. They have chosen to ignore us and go full retard on identity politics. That’s why the NRA leadership was playing all these games recently when they were losing discount programs.

The NRA and the NRA-ILA are broken. They are run like a protection racket: give us your money or you will lose your rights. What does it say about the NRA to you when they give an A+ rating to a clown like Georgia Lt. Governor Casey Cagle? Cagle is “pro-gun” during election season, which actually means he is for maintaining the status quo: https://www.11alive.com/article/news/politics/interview-with-casey-cagle-on-gun-permits-and-constitutional-carry/85-553113385 .

The only way forward for the NRA and the NRA-ILA is to replace its leadership. We know it, they know it. They refuse to make any changes. Putting Oliver North into play was just a move to solidify the current Fudd leadership at the NRA and NRA-ILA. Brace yourself, we are going to lose a number of rights in the next few years with the help of the NRA and the ignorance of the masses.

I am an NRA Life Member, have paid my dues and have donated even more. I got nothing but betrayal in return, when the NRA did some gun control backroom deal with the Republican legislature in my state and lied to my face about it. The only reason why I am staying in the NRA is to criticize it. Many others have already left the NRA.

18. avatar Gralnok says:

I like the NRA. I want to become a member. I see the NRA as the powerful lobbying and civil rights organization that it is. And then, right when I’m about to make friends with the 800 pound gorilla in the room, he lifts his leg and lets this ripe fart loose. A lower rating would be more appropriate, but an A+ rating? This doesn’t do much to convince the naysayers that the NRA is good. /).<

19. avatar Wake up says:

The NRA is no friend of gun owners. Only money.

The NRA has “compromised” (i.e. sold out) our rights more often than they’ll admit. They talk a big game, but in the end the GOA and SAF fight harder in court without compromise and are much better options.

The NRA: a Wolf in Sheepdog’s clothing.

20. avatar Mick says:

This is a great example of why I refuse to give the NRA a single cent.

1. avatar UPS Driver says:

Same here.

21. avatar Michael S. says:

The NRA has been screwing Georgia for some time. They and their lobbyists have actively killed pro-gun bills in Georgia. If it weren’t for GeorgiaCarry.Org, we would be screwed.

1. avatar Leadslinger says:

Brian Kemp is a Lifetime Member of GeorgiaCarry.org.

22. avatar George Venable says:

As an NRA Lifer, I frequently disagree with ’em, but ALL the Board guys ain’t bad. Trouble is the Nominating Committee pushes their candidates and very few folks nominated by petition(members) get on because so few members actually vote and when they do they mostly blindly pick names – I always “bullet vote” for on or two REAL gun guys, mostly those endorsed by Jeff Knox, son of Neal, the leader of the 1977 member revolt. LaPierre/Cox/etc. should be subject to term limits ! Been there too long.
    You can’t change ’em without participating. If enough current members would “bullet vote”, we could change the Board’s attitude over several years.

1. avatar Marty says:

Cris Cox is the one I’ve had problems with and I believe he is the one responsible for endorsements. He’s been there way too long.

23. avatar Craig in IA says:

So- it’s Cagle v Kemp in a run-off primary? What’s Kemp’srecord as a pro-gun candidate? Valdes doesn’t make any mention of it, so (speaking as a non-Georgian) I imagine Cagle is the least worry of the two, perhaps. It’d be interesting to find out how much money ILA and PVF have given to Cagle’s campaign, likely very little. Some more facts, please???

1. avatar Jenn Jacques says:

FYI: Cagle’s opponent also has an A+ rating from the NRA and all candidates’ ratings are based on their previous term in office. I will be writing something up shortly as a response to this article.
      Thank you!!

24. avatar Phillip Evans says:

Cagle once said he had “no appetite” for futhering firearms carry liberties. He also ran out the clock on SB101 in the Senate a few years ago, which was a good gun bill. Let’s vote for Brian Kemp!

25. avatar FB says:

Who in the nra approves this should be investigated.
    Sounds like another swamp that needs draining.

26. avatar zebra dun says:

Good to know!
    My vote would be affected.

27. avatar Bohica says:

I don’t rely on the NRA for guidance on how to vote. I am a life member but not because of their sometimes wacky endorsements of flaky professional politicians.

I’m in Georgia so this race is of particular importance. I’m not really a Kemp fan but will cast a vote for him rather than Cagle. I just wish there was a genuine Constitutional Conservative on the ticket.

Sigh…

28. avatar Free Speech says:

Proving once again that communism/socialism/leftism/liberalism is prevalent even in the South. Fight the globalist agenda!

29. avatar Paul Z says:

Happy to report that he got crushed in the runoff election yesterday.