The 3 Best Full-Size Pistols Under $400 MSRP

On a budget and looking for a full-size centerfire pistol with an MSRP under $400? Options are actually pretty thin, but that doesn’t mean you can’t find a good gun. Here are three of the best budget blasters . . .

Canik TP9SA / TP9SF

Seen above is a fantastic pistol from Turkish manufacturer Canik, reviewed on TTAG here. The TP9 series is reliable, durable, ergonomic, and accurate. It also boasts one of the best striker-fired triggers on the market. They’re great guns at any price. At an MSRP of just $399.95 (about $350 street), though, they’re the best thing going for less than four Benjamins.

Smith & Wesson SD9 VE

For eleven bucks less than the Canik (MSRP of $389), you can go with a U.S.-made S&W SD9 VE, reviewed on TTAG here. An evolution of the old Smith Sigma, the SD9/40 VEs sport a stainless steel barrel and slide, improved trigger (still miles short of the Canik’s, but arguably more appropriate for self-defense use), and updated ergos. They’re solid, reliable, serviceable guns that include a lifetime warranty from a major manufacturer at a very affordable price point. Hard to argue with that.

Hi-Point 9/.40/.45/.380

If an MSRP one mocha frappa-latte-chino away from $400 is still a bit too 1%-er for your wallet, there’s always Hi-Point’s models in the $199 to $235 range. Yes, that’s full MSRP. Street prices are in the $150-$185 range. How about a 9mm C-9 in a hard case with a Kershaw knife? It’s available online for about $185.

Make no mistake, these guns are heavy, ugly as sin, short on capacity, and long on trigger. Nine pounds long.

But while TTAG’s review wasn’t entirely positive, Hi-Point pistols are well-known for one thing (besides their low price): they go bang. With impressive regularity.

They may not offer much in the way of prestige or shooting enjoyment, but if the requirement is a new, functional pistol at the lowest possible price, a Hi-Point is a very defensible choice.

Honorable mention: Walther CREED

TTAG’s review consensus: the Walther CREED is okay. It’s basically average in every way. Except, of course, for it’s low, low MSRP of $399 (about $365 street). But otherwise it’s fine. Acceptably mediocre. Unexceptional. Thesaurus. We don’t expect to see James Bond carrying one in the next flick. But he could. It just wouldn’t be particularly noteworthy.

comments

1. avatar Pwrserge says:

Support terrorism, by a Canik.

1. avatar DrewR says:

Agreed, I won’t buy anything from Turkey.

1. avatar Muzzle Device says:

Best pistols not worth owning.

Unless there is something magical about new at under $400, just get a used Glock and get on with yer life.

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

I suppose you only buy used police cruisers for transportation.

Sad to be you…..

2. avatar JasonM says:

He said “Support terrorism, by a Canik.” I’m assuming he wants us to support terrorist acts that Canik pistols perform.

3. avatar Bigred2989 says:

Man, I swear there’s only a few dozen gun owners in the US who actually give a fuck about who they buy guns from. I can’t believe how many of us are okay with buying from countries like Turkey and want to reopen imports from Russia and China, forgetting that the former is getting ready to curb stomp us on the geopolitical stage, and the other tried to give bangers in Atlanta full auto AKs.

1. avatar junkman says:

Well I for one do give a damn. I did not start out to be a Ruger only buyer, but that’s what it has come down to. Between haphazard QC, not running properly, ergonomics and a litany of other issues, anything that was not a Ruger was sold off. Some models of Mossberg & Stevens are unfortunately not American, same with all Winchesters! I hate not buying American where I have a choice. Ruger firearms are %100 American made; and this includes even the raw materials. Damn it, if Ruger can be the major player in the firearms industry while doing everything here, what in the hell is wrong with the other companies????? And don’t even get me started on why not to buy Glock. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/11/glock-family-goes-down-guns-blazing.html

4. avatar Scoutino says:

You mean our fellow NATO member Turkey?

2. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Because they’re Turkish (like many other firearms companies such as Sarsilmaz, Huglu, etc) or due to something more specific? …and please don’t say the ancient symbols of the two-headed eagle, stars, and crescent moons on the case are conclusive evidence of terrorist sympathizing, even if some terrorist groups appropriated versions of those symbols. Not that I think a gun case with Hindu swastikas would go over well, but the point remains haha. Is there something that actually suggests Canik somehow funds terrorism? Or is it just the fact that it means money is going to a company in Turkey? (not saying I’m a fan of that, to be clear, but curious if this is a high-level thing or if there’s a rabbit hole here)

1. avatar pwrserge says:

I won’t buy anything manufactured in the Islamic Republic of Turkey after they went full Jihadi last year.

2. avatar Hellofromillinois says:

Better not support John Deere either. Some of their parts come from Turkey and they do business there ;).

1. avatar pwrserge says:

Yes… Because not knowing about something totally negates my point that Turkey is rapidly spiraling into a Islamic terrorist state.

And don’t celebrate Thanksgiving either.

3. avatar J says:

Kubota for me. John deeres are extremely overpriced and underwhelming……of course at the moment, I have more need of a riding mower…..

4. avatar Jeremy S. says:

LOL, Ralph. I’d take a honey ham, duck, or goose over a turkey any day anyway. Or a few pheasants! Mmm.

5. avatar pwrserge says:

The most American Thanksgiving bird is a Turduken.

6. avatar pwrserge says:

That looks like something that crawled out of Japan.

7. avatar Geoff PR says:

So _that’s_ what Cthulhu looks like…

3. avatar DrewR says:

The Turkish government is one of, if not the largest single supporter of islamic terrorism. I don’t have my source for that in front of me right now, but it can be verified with a quick google search. I personally won’t buy products from Turkey because a part of that sale goes to the Turkish government in the form of taxes. It really sucks, because they make some nice guns and the cheapest bulk 7.62×51 that shoots well that I have ever come across. It is just a personal choice on my part, though I understand why others wouldn’t agree.

1. avatar NEIOWA says:

They have been massacring the Kurds for a CENTURY as well. An where ever possible avoid the chicoms.

2. avatar TomD says:

I think Iran takes the “prize” as largest state supporter of Islamic terror, but you are otherwise correct in every detail.

4. avatar Danni says:

Hello Jeremy, I have a question. I use to be a avid gun collector and shooter in the 80’s. Lots of range time, skeet, and such. Even use to reload all my ammo. But gave it up years ago do to a divorce. Now I want to buy my first gun again mostly for protection, was thinking of starting with a hand gun first, then maybe a 22 riffle or I had a 410 pump I liked a lot for home protection. I am on a budget so what would you recommend for a woman for a hand gun, then something more powerful next. I am sure after not shooting for so many years it will be a lot like starting all over again. I had a 22 riffle rugur that was awesome but very pricey wish I still had that beauty. There is a new rugur hand gun out I can’t remember the name off hand that was about 450, my money range is 500 or under.There are so many opinions here I can’t get a handle on one that would be good for me..lol Also I heard there is shortage for bullets is that true and if so what would be my best option. I will use it for some practice, but mostly for protection so huge amount of bullet supply is not vastly important I suppose. I would really appreciate the help I am a widow now and want to keep me and my kid safe..God bless you and thank you for any help you can give on this. Danni

3. avatar Anonymous says:

I’m ok with Turkey. They are the most moderate Islamic country. In my opinion, they aren’t “real Muslims.” Because the Koran demands you kill infidels and have a slew of lifestyle restrictions (such as not drinking alcohol), that the people there don’t follow.

Original Christianity demanded gays be killed and adulterers stoned, but people moved past that with “reason.” Turks are doing the same.

1. avatar pwrserge says:

Go look at Turkey over the past 12 months or so. They are sliding straight right back into islamism.

2. avatar J says:

Turkey is quickly heading into hardline Islamic territory. It’s basically Iran in 1976.

3. avatar YellowDevil says:

Turkey’s days of being a “moderate” secular Islamic in name only nation has long passed. The dominate party, the AKP, has embraced populist Sharia to build up it’s political clout. Normally I could care less about whether or not a nation want’s to go down that route, but it is unfortunately one of the biggest NATO military and the gateway to the west when it comes to letting in Islamic “refugees”.

Oh and you might want to reread John 8:2 in regards to Jesus and his stance on stoning adulterers.

1. avatar Anonymous says:

Leviticus 20:10

The new testament “moved past” stoning.

4. avatar Mark N. says:

Turkey has in the past year jailed 50,000 people, including military, police, school teachers, professors etc for their alleged connection with Erdogan’s former comrade in arms and now archenemy Gulen (in exile in Pennsylvania) and Gulen’s alleged planning of an abortive coup against Erdogan. There are more journalists in jail or prison in Turkey, usually on terrorism or treason allegations, because they have had the temerity to criticize Erdogan; and the papers they worked for have been seized and shut down or taken over by Erdogan’s party. Erdogan has virtually outlawed all opposing parties, and has recently arrested one leader of the Kurdish opposition party and had the other kicked out of Parliament. After the attempted coup, he was granted dictatorial emergency powers for three months; six more months have been added. In addition, he has proposed and is campaigning for the passage of a Constitutional Amendment which will make the President of Turkey (Erdogan) the top political figure instead of the Prime Minister (a job he formerly held). This will cement his power and assure his continued power until his death, despite term limits.

Erdogan, claiming that the YPG (allied with the U.S. in the fight against ISIS) is, because of its relationship to the Turkish PKK, a terrorist organization, and he has sworn to forceably evict every PYD/YPG member from west of the Euphrates River found in Syrian testimony. EVen thugh it is not his territory. He has been threatening to march on Manbij, despite the fact that both the Russians and the US have told him to cut the shit out; and his allied Syrian militias of the FSA (many of whom are jihadis) continue to attack Muslim SDF (Arab) forces (who are allied with the YPG) and Syrian Arab Army forces west of Manbij, while Turkey is shipping in reinforcements from the north.

It seems that he intends to attack Kurdish areas north and west of Aleppo, despite the fact that there have been no fighting at the Turkish border except that associated with Turkey building its “self defense” wall–in Syrian territory. If he does so, he undoubtedly intends to give the territory to the FSA and to the indigenous Turkmen.

He wants to march on Raqqa, which lies deep in Syrian territory, even though he has been told he is not invited to that party. The US and the YPG/SDF are making great gains in attacking that last great stronghold of ISIS in Syria and Turkish assistance is unnecessary.

There is every indication that once Turkey takes Syrian territory, it will refuse to give it up, claiming its right to invade foreign territory in the name of its own national security, which is the equivalent to the US invading Mexico and “securing” 100 miles of Mexican territory to prevent illegal aliens and drugs from gaining entry. Something which obviously can be conducted on Turkey’s own territory.

Erdogan’s son was implicated in the sale of ISIS oil to Turkey. Turkey’s secret service, until the winds of war shifted, was shipping arms to ISIS and allowing its forces to transit across Turkish territory and to receive medical care in Turkish hospitals. A Turkish reporter and a Turkish border officer who unconvered a shipment of arms to Syria were arrested on treason charges, and when another reporter republished the story a year later, he too was charged with treason. Despite the pictures that proved what was going on.

Last but not least, pissed that the US has stepped in to prevent his attack on Manbij (where US troops in a small number are present), Erdogan has threatened to withdraw from NATO and to prohibit NATO’s use of Incirlik Airbase in Tureky. Meanwhile he has been making nice with the Russians (a necessity after he shot down one of its jets) because it is a major trading partner. I have not heard yet of the fallout due to the fact that Russian troops are also in the territory west of Manbij, and thus under threat of attack from FSA troops. (Erdogan may have underestimated his ability to keep the jihadis on a tight leash.)

Turkey makes some nice guns, but their politics really suck as Erdogan seeks to reestablsih the Ottoman Caliphate lost at the end of WWI.

1. avatar Dave M says:

Some of the Turkey shotguns are nice, but this has hardened my resolve to wait for Ruger to make a pump or semi auto shotgun. I have sources that say they are in fact. (Even Winchesters, the ones I saw, were Turkish).

5. avatar Steve M says:

Not sure where you are getting your Christian history from…but Christians were never tasked, nor encouraged to kill anyone, ever, for anything. You are thinking about Judaism and the original laws established by Moses. The two you laws you mention were to maintain a well functioning society.

6. avatar TheWoodsman says:

“Original Christianity” required no such thing (unless the Mosaic Law as found in the Old Testament is your definition of “Original”). Jesus said “He who is without sin (meaning no one) cast the first stone”, in the New Testament.

1. avatar Rev. John Kennedy says:

Unfortunately Christianity also has a history that is every bit as bloody (if not more) than Islam. All religions have fundamentalist extremist and nationalist.

Christianity brutally killed hundreds of thousands during Crusades to the Holy lands. They raped, pillaged, and burned.
          There was the Inquisition where the Church killed over 2,000,000 people were tortured and the burned alive. Pretty barbaric. Tens of Thousands of French Hugenots (protestants) were brutally massacred by Catholic Christian mobs. Spanish Christians came to the Americas and put to the sword and beheaded anyone who would not become a baptized Christian. It happened​ throughout South America, Central America, Mexico, and the Southern half of of the USA that we took from Mexico while claiming God’s favor. The early Americans were all Christians. The pilgrims were mostly Congregationalists, the Church of England (Episcopalians), Baptists, etc. They also killed the Native Americans and put them to the sword if they did not surrender there lands, and become Christians. Nearly 3,000,000 died in just the first hundred years. The same tactic, convert or die.
          Just about every European war was carried out by Christians who claimed God was on their side.

Over 20,000,000 million Africans were enslaved and stuffed in the bottom of ships and shipped to Europe, North and South America, and the Carribean to be beasts of burden. Their women were raped, children were sold off, men were tortured and killed if they resisted, all by people who went to church on Sunday and claimed God’s favor.
          My family has been from the South (the Carolinas) since the 1630’s, and veterans of the Revolution, the Civil War, etc. Over 42 of my relatives fought for the Confederacy, were slave owners and Christians. I’m not proud of that. They used Holy Scripture to justify slavery. During WW 2, Christian Germans loyal to the Nazi party caused a War that lead to 52 million world deaths, and the torture, rape, and executions of men, women, and children. All while going to church on Sundays, praising God, and being “good” parents and neighbors!! Wow!!

Our government and CIA selected and put in power ruthless dictators; in Libya (We chose Kadafi); Noriega in Central America, Marcos in the Philippines, ran Iran/Contra operations, and hand selected Sadaam Hussiem in Iraq. We have him weapons to use against civilian populations in Iran, as long it was against our current enemies we did give a hang about the civilians that were being gassed. The weapons of massive destruction he had were the ones we have him…And all of these operatives likely claimed to be “Christians”. It’s no different with Muslims, etc. The majority want peace, and compassion. At it’s best it has done good, at it’s worst not so much. Our Old Testament is every bit a bloody. Our Christians through the ages (quoting the New Testament) have been every bit as bloody at it worst.

Anyone who claims to be a true Christian must allow the ways of Jesus to trump nationalist tendencies.

I’m a Christian, an ordained parish pastor, and a father. I am also a former military and retired Austin Texas Cop. And firearms have always been a part of my life.

I believe in Christianity, yet it has just as bad of a track record of any other faith.

7. avatar TomD says:

This was probably true at one time, but Erdogan is definitely taking the country “full-Islamist”. Turkey is most certainly no longer “moderate”, but is rather moving rapidly – very rapidly – in the direction of Islamism. Do not be deceived by the lack of MSM coverage of this in the US. Turkey was not a moderate state a century or so ago and will no longer retain any vestiges of “moderation” before long. Their membership in NATO will prove to be very troubling.

And, “Reverend” John Kennedy: The Crusades were a response to the violent, merciless, bloody invasions of Europe by Muslims. Your revisionism about the history of Christianity (perhaps you mean the “political leadership of the Medieval Church”) are false, and you, sir, should question your self-described Christianity.

8. avatar singleshotcajun says:

Where are you getting your information, MSNBC ? Show me your source, Christianity advocating killing gay people by doctrine never happened. Stoning of anyone was Hebrew doctrine IE: Old law not Christian.

4. avatar Noishkel says:

If your standard is ‘I don’t buy things from nation that supports terrorist’ then stop buying anything made in the US. Case you hadn’t noticed the US supports terrorism world wide. Not to mention all kinds of cyber-warfare and constant proxy wars. #Vault7

Not that I really support Turkey now anyway. But I’m not going to really give a damn about buying from some one that other people find morally reprehensible. Especially given how far removed the imported small arms trade is from the whole of situation out there.

1. avatar doesky2 says:

You win the DB award for the thread.

1. avatar Hannibal says:

He’s… not wrong, though.

Let’s remember who funded Osama’s rise to fame. (spoiler: we have historically supported terrorists plenty as long as they’re aimed at the enemy… at the moment)

2. avatar Anonymous says:

Hillary helped out a lot of Islamic nations too!

2. avatar GanderPyle says:

Great point. Spot on.

5. avatar MM says:

You anti-Turkey idiots are fun to watch…….you forget that America holds hands with ISIS in Syria, bows to Saudi Arabia, and funds many Islamic extremist sub-groups for temporary alliances as they later blow us up from behind. Using your logic I should never buy American……..Maybe everyone should just buy the damn gun they like and that shoots the best for the price because no one has clean hands anymore.

6. avatar David Whitaker says:

FYI – How much money does the U.S. give to Turkey?
      According to our research engine, Source Wikipedia:
      The U.S. Government gave a total of $25,234,639 to Turkey in 2012 with your tax $’s, so don’t sweat your Canik purchase.

The aid was broken down in the following manner:
      Economic
      Department of Defense Security Assistance: $1,324,000
      Development Assistance: $133,731
      Migration and Refugee Assistance: $15,671,682
      Nonproliferation, Anti-Terrorism, Demining and Related: $1,255,826
      Other Active Grant Programs: $2,552,975
      Other State Assistance: $559,000
      Other USAID Assistance: $-713,675
      Other USDA Assistance: $4,000

Military
      Military Assistance, Total: $4,447,100

7. avatar David Whitaker says:

Q:
      How much did the U.S. obligate to Turkey in 2016?

A:
      The U.S. government obligated a total of $516 million in 2016 to Turkey SO WE HAVE ALL SUPPORTED Turkey.

The aid was broken down in the following manner:
      Category of Aid
      Economic Development: $14.6 million
      Education and Social Services: $995,000
      Environment: $12,000
      Health: $500 million
      Humanitarian Assistance: $20,436
      Peace and Security: $100,000
      Program Management: $112,412
      Supporting Agency
      USAID: $1.13 million
      Department of Defense: $100,000
      Source: Foreign Assistance. Refreshed daily. Show details

2. avatar Texheim says:

That’s four… Jaffa Cree(d)

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can’t.

1. avatar Timothy says:

In reality, there’s only 2 kinds of people. 1, those who try to box everyone in the world into just 2 groups and 2, more open minded people like myself

1. avatar jwm says:

There’s 2 kinds of people in this world. Those with loaded guns and those that dig.

2. avatar Esemwy says:

Nah. There’s 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

3. avatar RidgeRunner says:

There’s two kinds of people in this world. Them that knows there’s two kinds of people and them that don’t.

4. avatar Rokurota says:

5. avatar Rev. John Kennedy says:

Good point. I refuse to live my entire life in fear of some kind of invasion from the “other”. I’ve lived on the field of battle for life and death. I’ve survived PTSD. I’m not going to lock myself in some kind of small insulated world, where there is always some kind of supposed enemy around every corner. That’s what terrorist want. They make relatively small kill terrorist actions into something that cripples a whole nation with fear and suspicion. Sometimes countries create there own false flag operations. I enjoy firearms, I have hunted all my life, served in the military, and spent 12 years in a very large Texas City at a cop in “the hood”, in the Organized Crime Unit/Major Crimes, and was on the Clandestine Lab Interdiction Team (primarily Meth). I have survived life and death events too many times to count and involving the deadly use of force.
          But true soldiers want peace. They know sometimes the enemy can be our own individual self, sometimes the “enemy” can have more honor than some of our own brothers-in-arms.

We arm ourselves to the teeth, and then we die of cancer or a heart attack, car accidents, and firearm accidents at a rate that statistically out numbers any kind of death. We heavily arm ourselves and then smoke cigarettes and die with our weapons.

I will always be a gun owner and survivor, but let’s truly think about what “Surviving” really looks like??

Enjoy life, make friends, give a damn about others, hunt, target shoot,. Live life. I’ve seen death, there are things that are worse. And living in fear is one of them.

6. avatar TomD says:

Ah, a comment from one of our betters! “Open-minded” is a euphemism for people who can’t exercise discernment and do not hold to eternal principles.

2. avatar Anonymous says:

Funny guy.

2. avatar pwrserge says:

Ah… A reference to the show single handedly responsible for FNH still making P90s in any serious quantity.

1. avatar Adub says:

My LGS sent out ads for a special on P90s with the tag line “Before you go off-world, make sure you have the right gun.”

I appreciate their nerdiness.

3. avatar VerendusAudeo says:

“Alright, I’ve gotta know. What the hell does ‘kree’ mean?”

1. avatar pwrserge says:

Shut up MacGuyver. Now go magic space wizard us some meaningless techno babble. (Like unidirectional Einstein-Rosen bridges.)

1. avatar strych9 says:

I think that’s more Carter’s area of expertise. Of course, you could jump series and pull in McKay so that he can do as you ask in the most annoying Canuck way possible.

2. avatar pwrserge says:

Depends who stared into the ancient head grabber shiny thingy.

3. avatar strych9 says:

LOL! A fair point. However, I would point out that O’Neill starts speaking Ancient and it’s Carter that saves him with technobabble (in English, or… something).

I just want a Zat’nik’tel. That’s a smart gun. One shot to stun, two to kill, three to disintegrate.

4. avatar pwrserge says:

Nah… I don’t feel the urgent need to carry around a lemon for the rest of my life.

2. avatar Piet Padkos says:

“Cree” has many meanings in Jaffa, I find it similar to the word “Yella” in terrorist.

Attention, move it, etc. depending on context.

Better yet, how DARE you ask me?! Sho’vah!

4. avatar strych9 says:

Indeed.

3. avatar Adam says:

Those are some ugly pistols.

4. avatar Aven says:

I bought a Hi-Point C9 very slightly used for $125 and replaced it with a new SD9VE for $289.99 only because it was much lighter and better looking. The are very reliable and do what is needed. I can’t speak of the Canik but Rock Island Armory has a good selection of 1911s that sell for under $400 that are also very reliable (I got a fancier one for just under $500). I think Taurus also has several in 9mm that fits the segment very well and are good (I have a couple of Taurus but none of those).

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Neither Taurus or RIA make a full-size pistol under $400 MSRP…

1. avatar Dan in CO says:

Probably used price quoted, it’s still a durable good.

2. avatar former water walker says:

So a Taurus 809 ain’t full size? Going for 240bucks free shipping from KYGUNCO right now. Oh and I certainly would add Ruger 9E. Helluva’ great gun. And it isn’t full size but I just shot157 rounds from a Taurus 111g2. Perfect function for 230 bucks…no need for a Hi point.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

809 is discontinued (and “going for” isn’t MSRP anyway). Taurus does not currently manufacture a full-size handgun for under $400 MSRP. If this list were going to include guns that are no longer manufactured then you could buy a full-auto Tommy gun at its original MSRP of $200 😉 (and, frankly, it would be an uphill battle to convince me a Taurus 809 is a better, sub-$400 MSRP gun than the Canik or Smith)

Ruger 9E’s MSRP is $459. Seriously, my man, the “rules” here are fairly straightforward. I don’t care if they sell used for $10. I could receive a $4,000 custom 1911 as a present (still waiting), but that doesn’t mean it gets to be on this list haha

2. avatar Dave M says:

The Ruger 9E has an average gong rate of $300 to $350, sometimes under $300. NEW. Got mine for $285. Best reasonably priced full sized 9mm with a great trigger. Did I mention %100 AMERICAN MADE by a company with fabulous customer service? Everything else mentioned is a loser compared to this gun.

3. avatar uncommon_sense says:

And the Ruger 9E eats EVERY kind of ammunition you can find. But, their MSRP is $459 which eliminates them according to the rules of this article.

2. avatar AZgunner says:

I always kind of forget about Rock Island when we’re talking about reasonably priced pistols. I’m not a fan of external safeties, but if you absolutely have to stay in this price range I’d probably bet on a 1911 over a Turkish pistol or a hi point.

The only person I’ve personally known who owned a Rock Island 1911 was very happy with it.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

They don’t make any under $400 MSRP (not even under $500 MSRP, I don’t think) and, if you want the honest truth, I’d put my money on the Canik being both more reliable and more durable (especially if you take a sample size of like 50 guns from each and testing them all for reliability).

1. avatar Higgs says:

I was thinking the Ruger SR9e. I think its under MSRP $400 but could be wrong. I know I personally would purchase the Canik or Smith and wesson you listed.

It might just be me but I can not reply to messages nested more than 3 deep.

2. avatar I1ULUZ says:

Rock Island, made in a country who’s president stated back in October:
        “Under a current defence pact, the US maintains troops at five military bases in the Philippines.
        Since taking office Mr Duterte has strongly emphasised a pivot away from the US, a long-time ally and former colonial ruler, towards China.
        “I want, maybe in the next two years, my country free of the presence of foreign military troops. I want them out,” he told a forum in Tokyo on Wednesday.
        He reiterated the possibility of cancelling current agreements with the US, as well as his desire to be “closer to China”.”

Yet Turkey has not told us to leave. And you might want to research how buddy buddy Turkey and Israel are when it comes to arms.
        As for cutting ties with Turkey is a sure fire way to send them further into the arms of the radicals. If you want to take over a country, give them access to US dollars, we screwed up with Cuba, Fidel would have fallen had we been able to corrupt them with free trade instead of acting like the big bully Fidel made us out to be and sort of proved him right.
        FYI, Caniks are licenced clones of Walther P99 series. Guess that makes them double evil, Walther made arms in the 1930-1945 in their home country. Wasn’t Austria where that evil leader was born? There goes Glocks too, sins of the father. Toss out AK’s Russia has supported our enemies a few times. China too, close all Wally Worlds.
        Having been to Turkey, granted a while back, at the time felt more safe there than in NYC or any other urban cesspool here at the same time.
        Just for reference, to take US dollars to Turkey and purchase a Canik, take right around $1000 give or take the model.

5. avatar Vhyrus says:

No Rugers on the list? How unamerican.

Edit: Nvm you said $400 MSRP. I misunderstood. That being said, you can buy many Rugers for the same price as the pistols listed here.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

They don’t make a full-size pistol under $400 MSRP, my man. My first thoughts for this post were the Canik, Ruger 9E, and SD9 VE…but the 9E’s MSRP is $459.

1. avatar former water walker says:

Ruger 9E everyday price $299 at Grabagun…

1. avatar Michael B says:

How many times does Jeremy have to repeat that this list is based on NEW guns and their MSRP….. NOT what they are “going for”.

2. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Infinite. It’s to be expected. No worries. Eventually I’ll stop mentioning it in the comments. If the title of the article isn’t clear enough I should realize nothing I say in the comments will help 😉

3. avatar former water walker says:

Let me know when you pay MSRP for that new truck boys…

4. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Let me know when Car & Driver publishes a “top sedans you could get under $25,000 if you wait for a sale and negotiate well” article.

“Street price” is simply too variable. If I said it was “about $250” you’d be in here posting “your stated price is high because Gander Mountain sometimes has them for $225” and some guy in California would say “damn, I have to pay full retail ($289) here” then some dude chimes in with “my grandpa is an FFL so I get them for $200 any time I want” and on and on. Not that this isn’t going on and on already.

These comments are public so you have a microphone here: What’s your list of the top three full-size centerfire pistols available new at a typical “street price” under $400?

5. avatar binder says:

Witness Polymers go for $250-275. The MSRP is $550. MSRP on some guns is far from reality it is not even funny.

2. avatar Specialist38 says:

But you were quick to mention the “street” price of the Canik.

The “street” price of the SD is around 280 and they have been listed for 250 by a couple of online vendors.

The SR9E “street” is around 300 but only has one mag. The SR9 and SR9c can easily be had for for 350-370.and come with at least two mags. My SR9c came with 3 10 rounders.

So… you do seem like you’re a little sweet on the Canik…..just sayin…MSRP doesn’t mean squat.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Street prices were added in by my editor, if you must know. Looks like it was added for all pistols in the list except the Smith, so I appreciate your info there.

I think it’s fair to say that I AM sweet on the Canik when compared to the other guns here. It’s definitely the best gun in this list. We could argue what best-per-dollar means all day long and maybe the Hi-Point wins there, but in the “sub-$400 MSRP” category I believe it’s probably the best pistol on the market…or at least the best full-size one. From this list I’d go with the Smith next, but the Canik is arguably more accurate and definitely has a better trigger. That said, for CCW use I’d choose the Smith. For HD use, range use, fun, competition, etc, the Canik. It’s a truly great pistol that stacks up shockingly well next to much more expensive guns such as the HK VP9, Walther PPQ, a Glock, etc. Ain’t nothin’ wrong with ’em (Turkish politics aside).

2. avatar DrewR says:

Like the above comment, no full sized Rugers under $400 MSRP. SR9E is the cheapest at $459 MSRP, though my LGS does have them for under $400. Jeremy beat me to it.

6. avatar DrewR says:

It’s too bad Turkey is the largest State sponsor of terrorism, because all accounts are that they make some very nice guns. The only way I would ever own one is if I got it second hand, though.

Having owned both, a SCCY CPX 2 is a much better gun than a Hipoint for only a little more money, though not exactly “full sized.” Both are far better than Lorcins or the like.

If you look carefully and are a little lucky you can find far superior guns in great shape on the used market for around this price point.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Yeah, SCCY is either a small compact or is sub-compact.

You can get guns as gifts, in which case they’re free. Street price for new will fluctuate with sales and such, street price for used is highly variable. Gotta go by MSRP for stuff like this.

1. avatar DrewR says:

I definitely agree with the parameters you set forth. I am hoping we will see a compact and or subcompact list in the near future.

2. avatar Jerry says:

Saudi Arabia is – by far – the largest state sponsor of terrorism on the planet. Turkey is no saint but making this statement is just wishing up your facts to suit your case. Go park your car or buy an e-vehicle if you want to keep your dollars out of the hands of terrorists, it will have a much bigger impact.

7. avatar ColdNorth says:

What is the Jericho 941’s price in the US? When I do my CAD to USD conversion, the Canadian price ends up getting pretty close to $400 USD (but then again, things always cost a bit more up here and we can’t get deals like US folks can).

I suppose Norinco 1911s and Chinese or Russian Tokarevs are out.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

Jericho MSRP is like $559 and up depending on model.

1. avatar ColdNorth says:

Weird, I guess we get a bargain for once.

How about Shooters Arms Manufacturing 1911s? They should be under $400 if my conversions from CAD/USD are correct.

2. avatar Higgs says:

I think I am in a troll mood today.

Did you know that the Canik shark is kinda a clone ( At least similar to) the Jericho 941 and could be had for under $400?

The Tristar t-120 can be also. Of course that’s street price. So it would be excluded. And if I rember its actually made by CANIK. So is guess is double secret probation excluded.

Can’t we all just get along.

1. avatar I1ULUZ says:

The Jericho and Canik/Tristar and Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle III and Sphinx and….. Are CZ 75 clones. Just like the TP9 is a Walther clone.

Jeremy S, I will blame for my Caniks purchaseS, as in SA/V2/SF a lot of pistol for chump change, if they break I won’t cry, my first has over 2000 rounds and still going strong, groups better than my G17 and VP9. Canik/Century Arms finally released the TP9 SFx competition pistol it seems.

Here one that fits, but not sure if you reviewed it sort of a M&P clone, imported by Zenith Arms from the evil empire Turkey:
          GIRSAN MC 28 SA
          Caliber – 9 x 19 mm
          OA Length – 7.6 inches
          Barrel Length – 4.25 inches
          Barrel – cold forged
          Weight (Empty) – 1.6 pounds
          Height – 5.7 inches
          Operation – striker fire, semi-automatic
          Twist Rate – 10:1
          Sights – dove tailed
          Capacity – 15 +1
          $319.00–$334.00

8. avatar Anonymous says:

None of these listed are the “best” pistols under $400.

I’d wait and get a lightly used older firearm for less than $400.

I got a stainless ruger p94 (both the 40SW variety and 9mm variety) for $299 each. They were barely used with not a scatch on them. Just look around and don’t get a plastic garden tool in the shape of a gun just because it’s new.

9. avatar A Brit in TX says:

It may be possible to pick up a CZ P-07 for about $400ish. Mine was about that in a sale (I think, aging and a long work day is making my memory a little hazy…..).

1. avatar Shawn Graber says:

Yep, this. I came to comment the same thing. My CZ is the first generation P-07 Duty and I picked it up, brand new, for about $350. Not sure what the P-07 Duty’s MSRP is now, just because CZ has moved on to the 2nd generation now. (2nd Gen P-07 MSRP is $510). Regardless, they wouldn’t meet the “Under $400 MSRP” qualifications for this article. Wonderful handgun, though.

10. avatar Warren says:

I’m gonna throw into the running, the Zastava EZ9. I snagged one NIB for about $300. I enjoyed the hell out of that gun. My hip, not so much. It was heavy as sin.

1. avatar DrewR says:

Hey, that was my first 9mm. I paid about the same, had a drop leg holster for it, thought I was so tacticool. Saw a kid with a Glock in a drop leg at Cabelas yesterday and almost couldn’t hold back the laughter. Forget gun control, we need stupid holster control. Anyway, I ended up trading it towards a 6″ GP100 when I started bow hunting and decided I needed a bear gun.

11. avatar Specialist38 says:

I think I would have substituted the Creed for the Canik but not just for the made in Turkey thing.

Don’t want a pistol with a button that makes it dead.

The SW99/P99 system decocked the pistol to heavier pull – better in my opinion.

Just on technical merit, I see the Creed as a better pistol.

I don’t have one but it’s a sleeker looking version of my PPX. I just like the more defined overhang at the rear of the grip on the PPX for handling and shooting.

Kudos for the SD series. They are a bargain (259 online). While I dont think I’ll buy a HiPoint, they are a low-priced option for the public.

1. avatar Over-Rated says:

that no longer exists on the Canik pistols

1. avatar Higgs says:

It specifically only applies to the SA model.

2. avatar Specialist38 says:

The caption says SA/SF and the one in the photo is an SA.

They may not be in current manufacture but they are in current distribution…..cause they made a shit-load of them.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

The SF version doesn’t have that button and is still under $400 MSRP. An SA owner who takes issue with it can disable it. I think the whole “issue” is overblown anyway. There are tons of pistols with buttons or levers or hammers or safeties that effectively deactivate them.

No way would I put out that the Creed is one of the best pistols under $400 MSRP due to our test unit having a couple reliability hiccups and the fact that it’s such a new product to the market that there isn’t much in the way of long-term feedback. It’s on here as a runner-up because I more or less consider its status as a good pistol to be “pending.” If the PPX’s MSRP was under $400 it likely would have taken the place of the Hi-Point. There’s no chance the Canik would get kicked off first; it’s the best pistol in the article without question.

3. avatar Higgs says:

A lot of people need to just pour themselves a adult beverage and chill.

For new guns this is not a bad list. I would a agree some rugers could have been included on the list and I would have chosen the Canik SF and TP9 v2. That’s my opinion, and that is what this article is, and the expression of an opinion to help those new to gun ownership. It was articles like this that got me coming to this site.

For those against Turkey, I get it they are in chaos and terrorism thrives in that environment. I purchase my TP9 V1 well before the increase in Muslim activity . I would challenge the fact that its the largest state sponsor of terrorism. Off the top of my head I think Iran, Syria, the Sudan, North Korea, Libya, and the Sudan all present far greater issues as far as support of terrorism is concerned.

As for me…. I will keep my Canik, rub some bacon on 9mm ammo when I load it, and smile just a little if ever have to draw and fire a an ISIS fighter with my Turkish built firearm.

1. avatar Specialist38 says:

I’m not un-chilled. Just stating my opinion.

Hell – I have Walther pistols and Mauser rifles used by the most notorious terror machine know – the German army.

I do see that Canik now has the TP9V2 so I might pick one for a range toy.

2. avatar Jeremy S. says:

“I would a agree some rugers could have been included on the list…”

Which ones?

2. avatar I1ULUZ says:

The decocker can be defeated. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/03/04/turn-your-tp9-sa-into-tp9-sf-with-the-decock-block/ Sort costly, $15.00

I’ve seen a couple of videos showing how to defeat it and then reverse it if desired. There is a video of one being dragged down a dirt road and it didn’t decock. It takes 8lbs of downward force to decock it and you can’t reach it with normal human fingers with any type of normal shooting grip. Pretty sure it was Glock fanboys that blew it out of proportion when they realized it was just as good as their perfection at 1/2 the cost and no need for a Zev Tech trigger.

12. avatar Gary Kimberlin says:

I love my Sar Arms B6P. Yes it’s made in Turkey but the ammo is made right here. 2000 hand loaded rounds ant has not failed. All for 243.00$

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

It came to mind, but MSRP is $407. RF told me “best under $400 MSRP” so it is what it is. I suppose that’s what EAA gets for being weird enough not to do the whole $399.95 trick and setting MSRP at the specifically random $407 mark haha

13. avatar john g says:

isn’t the sd9 ve is the same size as the glock19 wich is considered compact? and the c9 is also considered a compact, although is almost a full size because it’s big.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

The 9E isn’t a fit anyway due to the MSRP, but FWIW it’s closer to the G17’s size, which is why it holds 17 rounds. In fact, Ruger’s height stat for it is a tenth of an inch taller than Glock’s stat for the G17.

The C-9 can be argued to be a compact, but the heading also mentions the .40 and .45 pistols, which are full-size for sure. Let’s just call it “any Hi-Point” 😉

14. avatar Specialist38 says:

So I’m not a fan of the Canik SA model – Dead Button.

But…..Just saw this

A Canik with the original DA/SA function of a SW99 or P99.

Might buy one of these. Turkey or not. I put gas in my car and Saudi Arabia is one of the most prolific terror supporters.

I still think the SD9VE is the best budget gun for concealment – this one would be a close second.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

The SF doesn’t have the decocker but still has the awesome single action trigger. A mechanism, by the way, that I trust more for reliability than the TP9’s DA/SA system. At least in terms of complaints I’ve seen online, the TP9 far outweighs the SA or SF. For some reason they don’t even list the TP9s on the Canik USA website, only on the Century Arms one.

15. avatar K Maiden says:

I effing doubt that any of those listed are on the Kalifornia safe for the serfs list. Oh, its such a drag living in this cesspool of DemoCrud corruption.

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

The Smith is and the Hi-Point in 9mm and .380 are. You can check the list: http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Obviously no new guns have been added since the requirement for microstamping became law, and no new ones ever will be. So no reason to wonder. If the gun was available like pre-2012, though, probably worth checking.

16. avatar lightfoot says:

The Taurus version G-2 of their PT-111 fits right in between the Glock 19 & Glock 26 (baby Glock) and has become the go to EDC for many who’ve carried many others before hand.

This gun is easily worth $350 but due to the lawsuit settled by Taurus, and their admirable interest in re-affirming their name brand, these PT-111 G-2’s were being market below value, and selling irregularly for about $200-$$250. You can still pick one up at an online gun store for about $200, NIB, with Lifetime Warranty.

Read the reviews on Palmetto State Armory’s online website for this little giant!

1. avatar Jeremy S. says:

As a compact gun, it couldn’t be considered for this list of best full-size guns…

1. avatar Higgs says:

Agreed. And I still think given the constrains this is a solid list of guns.

As a friendly friendly reminder your Tp 9 18 round magazines work in Tauras G2 pt111 very well. I always carry a spare tp mag with me since I either carry my tp9 v1 or my Taurus pt111 g2. I mention this in support of the canik as good full size gun under $400 as the next gun wanted is often something in the compact range. Msrp about the same as Canik.

Here is the kicker for me. Total cost for both guns new including shipping, tax, and background checks were just under $530 total. So for about the price of a Glock that fills one roll I got 2 guns that can have different roles but share magazines. (caniks magazines are made by mecgar btw).

For those on a limited budget that is a lot of value for the money.

17. avatar Frank in VA says:

If this was based on real world pricing and not MSRP, I would hope the Ruger 9E would quickly bump the Hi Point off the top 3 list.

1. avatar Frank in VA says:

Gander Mountain is currently pricing the Ruger 9E at $329. In stock.

2. avatar former water walker says:

Well Jeremy “dared” me for a list…I don’t get paid so you could just look at my suggestions?

1. avatar Frank in VA says:

Yeah, I totally didn’t read far enough down in the comments. I see now you guys had it covered.

18. avatar RetMSgt in Pa. says:

Yes, the Hi-Point C9 is ugly as sin, heavy, and only has an eight-round magazine. Did I mention that it rattles while in a holster? More so if you’re carrying it at the time.

But, it goes BANG every time you pull the trigger, no matter what brand you put in it, from Wally World Winchester White Box to Tula steel-cased ammo, whether JHP or FMJ.

19. avatar Cuteandfuzzybunnies says:

The XD 9mm is just over 400. Your better off with that than any on the list. I’ve seen the FN handguns in the under 500. Also ruger has some guns better than high point or the cheap s and w that are under 400 I believe.

XD MSRP = $508

20. avatar Frank in VA says:

MSRP = Manufacturer’s Suggested Retard Price.

Because if you actually pay that much for it…

1. avatar Jeff K says:

“Because if you actually pay that much for it…”; your are either an idiot or my brother the sucker.

21. avatar jwm says:

Of that list I would go with the sd9. I have the originol sigma and it’s been a reliable gun. Goes bang every time.

22. avatar Mark Horning says:

Ruger 9E.

Slightly cheaper version of the SR9, but actually has improvements such as getting rid of the ridiculous gigantic chamber loaded warning flag.

$299-$319 all day long.

1. avatar Dave M says:

The 9E has got to be one of the best full size 9mm’s ever. Hell, I choose it over the new American Pistol. Also the 17 round mags fit right in my SR9C, another great pistol.

2. avatar former water walker says:

I just checked Grabagun. They have the Ruger 9E for 289! I may get one!

1. avatar Dave M says:

All I can say is GET IT. The Ruger 9E is beyond comfortable, accurate, great trigger, absolutely not ammo picky, balanced & I could go on. You will love it.

1. avatar former water walker says:

I had a 9E on layaway at my LGS (for 349)and switched to a Taurus 111g2when they had ’em for 229. It runs great but I plan on getting the Ruger too. Getting a 2nd mag sucks…

23. avatar lightfoot says:

good buy

24. avatar YAR0892 says:

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone else notice the CREED is almost as ugly as the HiPoint?

25. avatar jjimmyjonga says:

“I can’t believe how many of us are okay with buying from countries like Turkey and want to reopen imports from Russia”….so is/does our current president it seems – so long as his family profits handsomely that is.

26. Sucks I really liked Turkey in the 80’s and early 90’s. Spent months there after DESERT STORM.

27. avatar GanderPyle says:

Canik TP9 SA is a great pistol.

All those getting the vapors about guns made/sold by Turkey should turn in their Berettas (because Benito Mussolini), Mausers, Walthers and Glocks (because Hitler was an Austrian!), Makarovs, SKSs and AKs (because Communist Russians, Chinese, et al.), FN pistols (because of atrocities committed in the Belgian Congo), Rugers (because Bill Ruger wanted mags restricted to 10 rounds…commie!), Colts (because Sam Colt sold guns to those ‘terrible’ Confederate slave owners during the Civil War), and Hi-Points and Jennings (just because).

If you are wearing a t-shirt purchased at Walmart, you’re already supporting communist China. See? You can make anything political if you like.

28. avatar Gerald Luedke says:

guess what? Spend another $100 or 2, and buy a real firearm. Who really says, I can’t afford a good gun? If I can’t afford something I want, I save up for it or pass. There are a lot of great guns, used with low round count that you can buy for $400 or under. Go that route of keep on moving. Maybe you don’t really need a gun. How did this turn into a discussion on countries and their practices?? Thought it was about guns. Not what the Q’uran says now or what Jesus said then.

29. avatar John W. says:

All this discussion over a pistol made in Turkey…..Triggered, so to speak- as a Snowflake might be at the word “Trump”.

30. avatar Tony T. says:

Hey peoples, try living in my communist state of California where every new pistol I want to own is illegal. Would move out of state, but wife stays with family and grandkids, and after 53 years am not about to give her up.

31. avatar Jon says:

I bought the Canik. Decent gun for the price. I’ve got Sigs, Smiths, Rugers, FNS etc. All this political stuff. Amusing at best. It’s kinda like when you go to a gun show. Do you run a check on who you’re buying from? Didn’t think so. I live in AZ which is a very liberal state but came from Mass which was just the opposite. If you like shooting buy whatever you can afford and sell it used when you wanna buy when you tire of it and want to get something new. All this other stuff. BS. Have a nice day.

32. avatar Don Swazy says:

Ruger 9E might be worth exploring.
    It’s a basic SR9, no absurd loaded chamber indicator like the SR9, same accessories, American made, good trigger, $380 at Cabela’s but I got mine for $299. No FTFs or FTEs for me so far.

The things people might not like are the magazine disconnect, pricy magazines, 1911 style safety, and it’s fairly plain looking. These don’t bother me a bit.

1. avatar unknown says:

The Ruger 9E is a superb gun; great trigger, great reliability, great American company, superb accuracy; Like an extension of your hand. Got mine for $300 total. If you do not like the mag disconnect (I do), when you take the gun apart & clean the striker assembly you can just leave the mag disconnect out & everything else functions normally. I find the safety great & easy to use, it’s ambidextrous. Best less expensive full size 9mm out there. By the way, you get a 20% discount from Ruger on accessories for a new gun purchase; a two pack of mags comes to $43; that’s not expensive & they also work in your SR9C.

33. avatar Dan Quickel says:

I just bought one of these at a pawn shop , used , so all my tax money went to the state of Tennessee. Wherever it was made it is a good gun for the price . I did have some FTE issues but resolved them. If I could go back I might buy something else but if you find one of these at a price you like go for it. Jon above got it about right. This is a gun review not a political platform.