Texas Firearms Festival Daily Digest – NYPD Gears Up, TSA Screws Up, and an Aussie Mobster Fesses Up

28544943855_d8cdbc2991_o-676x450_1

Don’t worry, Mr. Mayor, these two promised they won’t turn their back on you when you’re speaking. NYPD Buys Assault Rifle-Proof Vests and Military Grade Helmets – “After recent killings of officers in Dallas and Baton Rouge, the New York City Police Department is investing millions into heavy-duty bulletproof vests and military-grade helmets. The department is spending $7.5 million to buy 6,000 bulletproof vests and 20,000 helmets, said the city’s Police Commissioner Bill Bratton at a July 25 press conference.”

20150406MWHgunsLocal06-5

Vast Majority of Guns Recovered by Police Not Carried by Legal Owners, Pitt Public Health Analysis Reveals – “Nearly 80 percent of perpetrators carrying a gun recovered by Pittsburgh Police were not the lawful owners, a strong indication that theft and trafficking are significant sources of firearms involved in crimes in southwest Pennsylvania, a new University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health analysis reveals. The finding suggests a timely opportunity for collaboration between public health and law enforcement officials to better understand and reduce violent crimes involving firearms.” Wait…so the vast majority of criminals don’t come by their guns legally? Get outta town!

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 1.17.49 PM

Security theater: “This is what a 4% success rate looks like. I was cleaning out my bag, my carry-on bag, after my last flight and before my next flight and I found 12 rounds of 38 special ammunition in an exterior pocket in a bag that’s marked with a pink tag from the TSA. My I love how they work to keep America safe.” Yet they managed to find the 14 rounds of .45 ACP RF had in his carry-on last week. Go figure.

Don’t like that GLOCK rattle? “New for 2016, the SI JitterPlug is a drop-in component that installs in a stock polymer guide rod for compact and full-size Glocks. Installed between the guide rod and the front of the lower locking lugs, the SI-GJP increases spring tension on the barrel and slide, improving lockup feel and removing that annoying Glock barrel rattle.”

3691493500000578-0-image-a-38_1469417032156

‘The Columbians and half the city’s underworld were after me’: Gangland figure Mick Gatto says cartels forced him to keep a gun at home – before leaving court in a shiny Rolls Royce – “Gangland kingpin Mick Gatto kept a loaded sawn-off shotgun hidden at his house because ‘the Columbians and half the Melbourne underworld were after him.’ Gatto, 60, pleaded guilty to two charges over the unregistered shotgun and ammunition on Monday. They were found in a cavity behind a cabinet in an ensuite of his Lower Plenty home in Melbourne in February.” A “gangland kingpin” with a gun. In Australia. Imagine that.

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 1.11.10 PM copy

Remember, no one in California needs a ‘weapon of war’. “Armed with an AR-15, Robinson Ranch (Santa Clarita, California) resident Jim Dematte defends his neighborhood from looters as the Sand Fire pipes smoke behind.”

comments

1. avatar jwm says:

Gangsters with Rolls budgets and facing serious threats choose the shotgun as their weapon of choice. Sounds right to me.

1. avatar neiowa says:

Should have moved in with ole Mike Dundee and his babe whatshername.

1. avatar The Dude Abides says:

That’s naht a scatter gun.

THAT’S a scatter gun.

2. avatar FormerWaterWalker says:

A jitter plug? I thought GLOCK brand GLOCKS were perfection…hey I’m getting one of those Glock 22’s Gen3 floating around. I’m suddenly seeing a kajillian on the internet. The local shops still want way too much.

1. Anybody annoyed by Glock rattle, would be annoyed by the clank of their jeans button hitting the drum of the clothes dryer. I have a product to sell you that slips over the brass button so you no longer have to put up with this unnerving racket.
      $4.99 plus shipping. Leave quantity ordered, credit card information, shipping address in a reply. GA residents add 7% sales tax.
      Thank you for your purchase…suckers.

3. avatar Hoplopfheil says:

If they can come up with an addon that makes the GLOCK stop squeaking, that’d be impressive.

1. CLP works on mine.

“they managed to find the 14 rounds of .45 ACP RF had in his carry-on last week.”

Yes, well, he’s a shady looking character who’s easily profiled.

1. avatar Andrew Lias says:

They knew the .45 ACP was there immediately with no X-Rays because of its soul vaporizing power.

1. avatar Marcus (Aurelius) Payne says:

Soul vaporizing? How did the TSA, find it, then? Also, you’d think being around TSA agents would be perfect camouflage.

1. avatar Chadwick P. says:

No kidding because the tsa is exactly a soul sucking organization of heartless incompetence. Oh well I suppose even a stopped clock is right two times a day.

5. avatar peirsonb says:

Flew to North Carolina a few months ago. The project manager flying with me got pulled aside at security. 14 rounds of .22 LR in his bag.

Took the TSA a half hour and a dozen x-rays to get them all out of the nooks and crannies. They had to call a local cop to “dispose” of them.

The cop’s response: “Where the hell did you find 22?”

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

That there is funny!

2. avatar Rusty Chains says:

Thanks for that! Still can’t find 22 at the local Walmart. My favorite gun shop has it as does Cabela’s but no one else seems to.

1. avatar Lupinsea says:

Funny, there were boxes and boxes and boxes of .22lr at the gun store I was in this afternoon (Lynwood / Everett, WA). A wee bit over priced at $6 / box of 50 but it was there. Lots of it.

However, glancing at the prices of the other ammo the store was running a few $/box hire than my usual ammo haunts.

2. avatar neiowa says:

Gun show 2 weeks ago and bricks of 500rd .22LR @ $35. A few yahoos still trying to get $60 though. Cabelas has most of the time. None at any Walmarts.

1. avatar Swilson says:

Bricks at Dicks. Dicks has bricks. $35

2. avatar Wiregrass says:

Dicks can keep it. I don’t buy from dicks.

6. avatar James69 says:

6,000 vests and 20,000 helmets…… math people, math. What are they lining the cars with helmets? Caption for the picture “Does this vest make me look fat??”

6,000 vests and 20,000 helmets for over 35,000 cops.

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

They work in shifts. They can share them.

1. avatar Gov. William J Le Petomane says:

Kind of like in Waterboy when the players had to share helmets and cups.

I can see the headline now; ‘NYPD plagued by lice epidemic’.

7. avatar barnbwt says:

Double subtitle;
    “Why isn’t it soft like my shirts?”
    “I am a mannequin, I feel no tickles…” and/or “Dude, are you seriously touching me?”

8. avatar Mr. 308 says:

From the linked NYPD article

“The incident added to the heightened sense of risk among police after the recent attacks.”

Heightened huh? Really?

So what about us? You get to arm up and dress all up for battle, we pay for it, and we get what? Spitballs?

Eff you, the lot of you.

1. avatar LJPII says:

Buy your own.

1. avatar Mr. 308 says:

Buy my own what? This is NYC we are talking about genius.

1. avatar notalima says:

Buy your own armored cop. They are for sale in NYC.

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

Then, after you’ve paid the big bucks, if you ever need him run to the nearest donut shop.

2. avatar younggun21 says:

.308 has a point. The recent shootings of cops is disturbing and supporting the police is important but context is needed. Cops don’t get killed on the job anywhere close to the rate that people are killed in bad parts of the inner city and NYC has effectively made these people sitting ducks with draconian legislation.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Well, yeah, except! Those other inner city types are not disarmed by those laws, any more than their competitors are. EVERYBODY is armed, and everybody therefore understands that the laws are meaningless, the laws about guns, the laws about drugs, all the laws. And some might say the results are predictable.

9. avatar Kendahl says:

I’d rather Bratton spent $7.5 million buying his officers guns with decent triggers and teaching them to shoot straight.

1. avatar Binder says:

They need to teach them to keep their fingers off the bang switch first.

10. avatar Wilsontx says:

I personally don’t know what to think about the effectivity of airport security. As much as I hate to admit stupidity on my part, I’m lucky I’ve not been locked up. Two years ago, I carried on a backpack that I did not throughly empty nor did I inspect it prior to packing for an international trip. I was flying to Zurich and I went through two different securities. Austin Bergstrom security and London Heathrow security. Upon arriving at my hotel, I dumped out my backpack. To my horror, a full 50 round box of .45ACP Federal HSTs fell out. It would have been a major pain if I had been caught in Austin. I shutter to think what would have happened if I had been picked up in London.

I do know we are safe from small jars of jam (the type typically found in Hotel breakfast dining rooms). Flying out of Frankfurt, two ladies behind me were pulled aside because they had a large stash in their carry on bags. Who knew orange marmalade could so dangerous.

1. avatar Pascal says:

What the hell did you do with the ammo? Dump it in the garbage?

1. avatar Wilsontx says:

A couple days later I threw them into a roadside rest stop dumpster. I wasn’t going to call the authorities and fess up about my possession.

1. avatar Mr. 308 says:

So you weren’t so stupid then.

11. avatar Andrew Lias says:

oh and caption for the photo above “oh my god they’re real”

12. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Range bag. Travel bag.
    Two. Different. Things.

Anyone with the disposable income to enjoy the shooting sports but is too damn tight to buy a dedicated range bag – I don’t want him sitting next to me on the plane, I know that much.

1. avatar Rusty Chains says:

When I travel by car I am not exactly unarmed and yet my range bags stay home. Carry gun, hiking gun, light weight carbine, spare ammo for each and spare magazines. Loose ammo in my luggage or a forgotten box of twenty 9mm, or a spare magazine left behind, well, yeah!

13. avatar Geoff PR says:

” Yet they managed to find the 14 rounds of .45 ACP RF had in his carry-on last week. Go figure.”

Last week? I musta missed that one…

14. avatar Pascal says:

I have dedicated range bags to prevent the TSA issue. That said, I always have a knife and have traveled several times and forgotten my knife or knives and have passed. When it is busy, there is only so much they pay attention.

15. avatar ATTAGReader says:

“Given the pandemic threat in the United States of firearm violence, immediate improvement in firearm surveillance is needed to save lives.” The author of the Pittsburgh study reveals his interpretation of his study. He goes on to blabber about straw purchases and knowingly illegal sales (in his opinion). Not a bit of bias.

16. avatar Specialist38 says:

I unpacked after flying recently and found a loaded LCP mag out of the front pocket of my roller bag that had been checked through on a round trip.

It is one of three that I had with me on a road trip.

And my bag had a TSA stocker on it on the outgoing and return flight.

Lucky me.

1. You can have a loaded magazine in your checked luggage. It just can’t be loose ammo. It has to be in manufacturer’s packaging or in a metal, plastic, or cardboard container designed to hold small arms ammunition. A magazine is designed to hold small arms ammunition.

17. avatar ButtHurtz says:

How effective will those vests be on an ar15, or ar10?

1. avatar Hannibal says:

Judging by the thickness they look like ceramic plates, so they should be pretty effective unless they get shot a few times.

1. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Except for that fairly large area of exposed gut underneath them.

2. avatar ButtHurtz says:

Really? I thought the 308 would penetrate most body armor.

18. avatar mike says:

Jitter plugs… oh please. Butt plugs actually have more purpose.

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

“…oh please. Butt plugs actually have more purpose.”

Let’s keep the topic on guns, shall we?

1. avatar mike says:

It is a gun topic. There are butt…. er, grip plugs for Glocks.

19. avatar Random Swede says:

I traveled to Moscow. Went through a security check going there, in Moscow and then I went to see the May 9 military parade. Every subway had a security check with metal detectors. I must have been checked 50 times in that week.

When I was home and unpacked I found a couple of live rounds in one pocket. I am very happy that the Russians did not find them. Would not have wanted to explain that to them. Still, BS security theater all over.

20. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

“Don’t like that GLOCK rattle? “New for 2016, the SI JitterPlug is a drop-in component that installs in a stock polymer guide rod for compact and full-size Glocks. Installed between the guide rod and the front of the lower locking lugs, the SI-GJP increases spring tension on the barrel and slide, improving lockup feel and removing that annoying Glock barrel rattle.”

People actually waste their time worrying about sh*t like this…

1. Tweakers gotta tweak.
      They should trow one in for free for every purchase of a stippling iron.

21. avatar notalima says:

Just desensitizing folks for martial law. Nothing to see here. Papers? You have your papers?

22. avatar BDub says:

TSA Fact: The “random”, in random searches refers to the chances of success.

23. avatar DMD says:

Range dust on my shoes from a SHOT Show range day set off the TSA security bomb alert when I was leaving Las Vegas one year after SHOT–and I am a 75 yr old retired lawyer in a wheelchair !!! This “alert scare” brought the Keystone Kops running, and resulted in their intensive questioning of my bona-fides and a thorough ransacking and examination of my luggage, ID, travel history, professional documents, security clearances, and probably my colonoscopy records and reports going back 50 years. They were all very serious about it, and were probably most disappointed that they had not snagged their very own “shoe bomber” right there in Las Vegas. I had plenty of time to catch my flight, and I found the whole episode laughable–while they certainly did not. DMD