Pulitzer Prize Winning Columnist: Racist Kooks Killed Gun Control Bill

Cynthia Tucker (right) celebrates her Pulitzer Prize (courtesy sandrarose.com)

Twenty dead children, reasonable regulations, politicians subverting the will of the people, NRA, yada yada yada. And in closing, “But as hunting has become less popular and as the number of households owning guns has declined the ranks of gun owners have become over-represented by conspiracy theorists and assorted crazies and kooks,” Cynthia Tucker writes. Google is not Ms. Tucker’s friend; hunting is as popular as it ever was. And there are plenty of folks who think American gun ownership is on an uptick (including a whole bunch of gun makers, dealers and buyers). Again. Still. Which kinda undermines Tucker’s whole argument—if that’s what you want to call it. Quick aside . . .

Tucker won the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for commentary for her “courageous, clear-headed columns that evince a strong sense of morality and persuasive knowledge of the community.” This one got picked-up by yahoonews.com. OK, go . . .

They can be easily persuaded that the government is on a mission to confiscate their firearms. There is little doubt that paranoia is amplified by the presence of a black president, who represents the deepest fears of right-wing survivalist types. So it was probably naive to expect that he could drum up support for more reasonable gun safety measures.

But if 20 dead children can’t persuade Congress to tighten gun laws, what will?

Hopefully nothing. And may I respectfully point out that it takes a racist kook to know one? Just sayin’ . . .

comments

1. avatar DrVino says:

You filed this in the wrong category.
    Should be: “Department of Willful Lies.”

2. avatar DrVino says:

“a black president…represents the deepest fears of right-wing survivalist types.”

What if that right wind survivalist is, themselves, black, errr… brown, errr…. colored….. errrr…… melanin-gifted, errrr….. “American of Indigenous African Descent”?….

1. avatar Brock says:

DrVino, to her, the person you described is as mythical a creature as the tooth fairy or God.

1. avatar DrVino says:

Ah, well, I guess I also imagined all those pride flag bumper stickers at the gun show….

2. avatar travis m. says:

I wonder if she would refer to the washington posts own Courtland Milloy as a racist? He was against the bill, and he certainly isn’t white or right wing. link:

3. avatar SCS says:

I guess you don’t have to be very bright to win a Pulitzer these days.

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

It’s not hard to stand out in a crowd of midgets.

2. avatar Seth says:

At least its still harder than winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

1. avatar OODAloop says:

Compared to recent Peace Prizes, apparently it is. Remember, Obama was nominated 2 weeks into his presidency for his “promotion of nuclear nonproliferation and a “new climate” in international relations”…”especially in reaching out to the Muslim world.” (Wikipedia). You tell me, how can a junior Senator with next to no political background (but a lot of rich supporters- Yes, you Joyce Foundation!) get nominated (and win) for his entirely lackluster political career?

3. avatar William Burke says:

Nope. And you don’t have to be peaceful to win a Nobel Peace Prize, neither!

4. avatar Shenandoah says:

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

5. avatar Joke & Dagger says:

Have another bottle Sister.

4. avatar Jeh says:

It doesn’t matter how wrong she is, she’s a liberal journalist. They live in their own little worlds where everything is how they say it should be, because if they ever came to reality their heads would burst, which is why they never leave the bubble to start.

5. avatar foggy says:

It looks like people have been having some fun with her Wikipedia page:

Born
    March 13, 1955 (age 58)
    Monroeville, Alabama, USA

Residence
    Washington, D.C.

Alma mater
    Auburn University

Occupation
    Political race card advocate

Employer
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Universal Press Syndicate

Known for
    Biased Left Wing Propaganda passed off as journalism.

Board member of
    International Women’s Media Foundation (Advisory Council)

1. avatar Sixpack70 says:

It’s a truthful wikipedia entry!

2. avatar Azman says:

Nice.

3. avatar uncommon_senes says:

Ah, the beauty of Wiki … I love it.

6. avatar watchmenlewis says:

cant walk quarter mile with out running into another person here in wi

7. avatar miserylovescompany says:

HAHAHAAHAHAA…..seriously? This one is so easy to explain, actually. It failed in the Senate becase enough citizens made it clear their liberties were not worth sacrificing merely to assuage the ‘feelings’ of liberals for 20 children. A tragedy yes, but the fact remains that mass murders and violently mentally ill peopke are both exceedingly rare, to the point of almost nonexistence. As many have mentioned the constitution does not provide for personal safety and admits the occasional tragedy, in exchange for the people’s liberty’s teeth against a tyrannical government. And that is precisely as it should be.

8. avatar outwardhound says:

I am so sick of being labeled a kook, nut, extremist, ad nauseum – she can FOAD.

“But if 20 dead children can’t persuade Congress to tighten gun laws, what will?” – ummm, how about relevant facts & proposals that would actually have an impact?

1. avatar Davis Thompson says:

Careful there, that’s sounding like logic. Logic is to liberals what water is to the wicked witch of the west.

1. avatar Robert M says:

I though her name was Dianne Feinstein?

Thanks
        Robert

1. avatar J says:

Since we’re on the subject, am I so wrong for thinking that the government would happily take my guns when this respected member of the Senate has stated outright that she would ban guns if she could? Is it crazy to think that someone might do exactly as they say they will?

9. avatar R says:

These “journalists” must have short term memory problems..

10. avatar Goldenboy says:

If 20 dead children can’t persuade Congress to do away with harmful gun laws (gun-free zones) that actually leads to higher body counts in mass shootings, what will?

If 20 dead children can’t persuade Congress to stop trying to pass meaningless gun laws that would have done nothing to prevent the death of those children, what will?

11. avatar Martin B says:

But most guns are BLACK! Do stainless/chrome gun owners shoot it out with black gun owners? The only distinctions are between ‘fraidy-cat gutless “Oooh don’t touch me with that” weenies, unable to accept that adults have a RESPONSIBILITY to protect themselves and those they love, and the ordinary, calm individuals who have chosen to learn how to use firearms and have them at hand in case of need.

The former control the media, the latter control the congress and senate. Hollywood uses firearms for action and glamour, but decries their existence privately. Can anyone spell HYPOCRISY?

1. avatar Gotta Love the South says:

“But most guns are BLACK…”

Nice.

2. avatar Cortney says:

I’ll give spelling that word a shot, Martin. O-B-A-M-A. Oh. Well, six of one, half a dozen of the other, right?

12. avatar jwm says:

Very early on after Sandy Hook I proposed measures that would improve school security and student safety. I’m not a senator or prize winning jounalist but my suggestions would have actually made schools and kids safer. Something that none of the laws about background checks and mag limits and banning certain types of fire arms would do. Slow Joe admitted that the laws he was pushing would have no effect on the next mass shooter.

Now here it is months after Sandy Hook and years after Columbine and I can still walk on elementary campus’s all over my area without so much as a fence to slow me down.

The anti’s have wasted time, energy and resources and virtually guaranteed the next Lanza will be successful. If there was real justice Difi, slow joe, kapo bloomberg etc. would be buried next to the victims of these shootings they enabled.

1. avatar Jefe O. says:

I work at a small charter school, they were too cheap to put a fence in.

Three lock downs later (escaped criminal, Newtown, bomb threat at another school — 150 miles away) and it’s now being looked at.

Also, because I’m one of the few male staff members that is not a teacher, I got to “provide security” during a couple those, armed with a radio. So mostly I sat in my truck in the entryway to the school, watching security cameras on a laptop.

2. avatar William Burke says:

OF COURSE they’ve wasted time, and effort too. That’s because, if they were forced to tell you the truth, they don’t WANT school shootups to stop. They advance the agenda. Well, they’re supposed to, and did, until recently. But they’ve cried wolf once too often. They LOVE school shooting, they PINE for school shootings when they’re no happening; they REMINISCE about great school shooting of yore.

3. avatar g says:

It’s not just you, or your school, jwm.

Months after Sandy Hook, my school district has DONE nothing, even after our principal sent a letter to the superintendent and forwarded e-mails written by staff members such as myself.

Walong the e’ve re-visited our school site that we have at the moment, but in case of an emergency, it’ll take waaaaaaaaaaay too long for me to run to the parking lot, retrieve a weapon from the lockbox in the trunk, and return to my classroom. The new plan that was developed is instead of waiting to die in a locked classroom while a maniac stalks the halls, I will quickly escort my students OFF campus to a designated safe area (local church), and IF I have time, while running alongside them, I’ll fetch the piece from the trunk.

It’s not a great plan, but it’s pretty much all I got…

1. avatar jwm says:

That would be a nightmare plan G. Herding frightened kids and trying to retrieve your gun at the same time. Bad as it is you’re still way ahead of a load of the “It can’t happen here.” crowd.

I will get between the shooter and the kids, but here in California I risk a felony for having the gun even locked in my car on campus.

On the plus side, I’m fat. Maybe some of the kids can use my body as a sandbag and survive that way.

1. avatar Rightontheleftcoast says:

Are you an SRO?

2. avatar jwm says:

Wrong, Right. I’m a semi retired sanitational engineer. Which translates into a broke down old mop jockey.

13. avatar Russ Bixby says:

You want a new gun law? How about this:

“Any and all staff of any institution funded at public expense shall obtain training and certification in the use of their state-issued firearm, as well as permission to carry it while at work.

“Variances shall be granted for religious objections made by Quakers, Jainists, Buddhists and the Amish as well as to the physically infirm. Any former felons on staff will be reviewed for rights reinstatement, failing which they shall be granted a waiver.

“Weapons shall also be placed in “in case of emergency, break glass – alarm will sound” cases adjacent to existing fire extinguisher/fire hose emplacements.

“Persons failing to comply within one year of enactment shall be replaced.”

There. How’s that?

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

I just sent this to Joe Biden.

Seriously.

2. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

Jainists?

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

A Chinese belief system in which one almost doesn’t eat because it involves things dying. Digging is discouraged, as worms can be injured.

Self defense or use of violence on behalf of another is right out. Some skin cells – other an those of he Jainist – might be injured.

You get the idea…

1. avatar William Burke says:

“Jainism is a religious minority in (ahem) INDIA, with 4.2 million followers, and has adherents in immigrant communities in Belgium, the United States, in Canada, Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore. Jains have the highest degree of literacy for a religious community in India, and their manuscript libraries are the oldest in the country

… the principle of non-violence or ahimsa is the most distinctive and well-known aspect of Jain religious practice. The Jain understanding and implementation of ahimsa is more radical, scrupulous, and comprehensive than in other religions. Non-violence is seen as the most essential religious duty for everyone.” (excepted from Wikipedia)

It’s worth pointing out that Jain practice of nonviolence is far more extreme than that of Buddhism. In Buddhism, attainment of a human life is seen as a rare and special turn of events. Because it is so rare and precious, Buddhists not only recognize a right to defend human life, it is seen as a sacred duty. To do anything less is to disrepect precious human life, and, as such, failure to do so is one of the very worst of human actions.

But SERIOUSLY was it not enough for you to ridicule someone else’s faith, that you had to misrepresent it as well? What kind of boy did your mother raise?

2. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Didn’t know that. I heard of it from a Chinese exchange student. A very thin Chinese exchange student.

I don’t believe that I ridiculed it, so much as waxed rhapsodic about the not-so-gun-friendly aspects.

Well, I’ll grant that skin cells might’ve been a bit much – but I’ll stand by digging. That’s truth – I’ve seen it.

And they’d certainly merit a variance.

14. avatar Randy Drescher says:

Aw, group hug. Thats almost as funny as kanye saying “just do what the president says”. I don’t believe Pulitzer Prize standards are what they used to be, Randy

I get upset when some ho calls me a racist.

1. avatar Jefe O. says:

Hey, don’t call them hos, broads don’t like that. ;p

1. avatar Jefe O. says:

Optionally: Don’t call her a ho, that’s an insult to streetwalkers everywhere.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

How about morally flexible massage therapist?

16. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

“There is little doubt that paranoia is amplified by the presence of a black president, who represents the deepest fears of right-wing survivalist types.” The race of the President is inconsequential, what is of consequence is his documented history as a gun grabber. As for those fearing being ‘right-wing survivalists’-What’s the implication here-Only Redneck Militia members oppose gun control? That supposition IS racist, Americans of ALL ethnic and ideological backgrounds contacted their representatives in government, advising them not to mess with our constitutional rights. But, she of course has no agenda……..

1. avatar William Burke says:

Nah. MY greatest fear is ZOMBIES.

And really, REALLY large CENTIPEDES.

2. avatar BierceAmbrose says:

Well said. BUT, talking among ourselves isn’t the point. Should stuff like this come up outside this online support group, we gotta start pushing back at the very start, saying in public what Pantera V just said:

“Gun advocates aren’t all, or even mostly survivalists, neither are most folks you would call “right-wing.”

“I was against the bill because it wouldn’t help on the one hand, and *if you look at the actual language* it contained tons of opportunities for ‘accidentally’ criminalizing legal gun ownership. I’m for reasonable gun control. I think ‘reasonable’ requires actually doing some good.”

“BTW, I’m characterizing the criminalization of legal gun ownership as unintended just like your calling me a racist just now. You want to say it plainly, and mean it, we’ll have a different conversation.”

“As for paranoia, I take Senator Feinstein, who introduced the bill, at her word. She’d have all Americans hand in their guns if she could. It’s on YouTube. Look it up.”

17. avatar Davis Thompson says:

If these asshats are right, that gun ownership is down (and I doubt this is true, but let’s run with the premise,) it’s mainly because of stupid laws like the ones proposed in the Senate making it harder for folks to get their hands on hardware.

Getting a pistol permit in Westchester County, NY took me 18 months and cost around $400. Any wonder why there’s so few of us up here? Using regulation to cut our numbers is one of their strategies, that and full disarmament by a thousand cuts.

And Obama was not the face of gun control, it was lily white Joe Biden, lily white Dianne Feinstein and equally reflective Chuck Schumer who drew the brunt of the criticism.

1. avatar William Burke says:

” it’s mainly because of stupid laws like the ones proposed in the Senate making it harder for folks to get their hands on hardware.”

FOR GOD’S SAKE, MAN! Don’t give them ENCOURAGEMENT!!!!!!

2. avatar APBTFan says:

They’d like to believe gun ownership is down.

The sheer volume of sales for guns and ammo is beyond any of their contentions that it’s only existing gun owners buying them. In my microcosm of life I’ve had a brother, uncle and close friend buy their first AR posthaste. The uncle, whose only firearm for decades was a cheap shotgun, was the one I would have never, ever pegged as someone who’d want an AR but he sure as hell got one.

Apparently unable to connect 2+2 the grabbers ran their traps and went for broke. I honestly don’t think any of them were quite prepared for what they started both politically and sales wise for arms and ammo.

3. avatar Gadsd N. Flagg says:

Ditto here in southeastern VA… New gun owners are being minted.

I have three close friends, one of whom had a couple old shotguns but never gave a thought to black rifles, that are all three now the proud owners of said black rifles. They only have a few mags and they’re having trouble laying in more than a few hundred rounds of 5.56, sure, but they’re “on board” now and are voting with their dollars and calling the politicians to express displeasure (see Kaine’s and Warner’s senate votes – meh).

Oh, and they’re not all “Northern-European-Americans,” either.

18. avatar Lemming says:

Lest we forget, my “paranoia” is fed by the folks in DC _saying_ then want my guns, and being a subject of Cuomostan watching them seizing peoples’ guns.

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

Hadn’t previously heard “Cuomosan.”

I like.

1. avatar Lemming says:

Funnier if you don’t live here. 🙁

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

That I believe. Still, I do appreciate cleverness.

19. avatar Houstorm says:

I wish the NRA were half as powerful as most of these people claimed. If so, my last firearm purchase would have probably been tax deductible.

1. avatar Roscoe says:

That’s good!

20. avatar The Original Brad says:

Typical elitist. Drinking Veuve Cliqout and telling us what to do. Let them eat cake, as one of them once said.

1. avatar William Burke says:

Don’t knock the Veuve Cliquot!! It’s DELICIOUS!!!! That, and wasted on protoplasm such as that….

Yellow label FTW!

2. avatar Tama Paine says:

Veuve Clicquot is how it’s spelled.

21. avatar Jake says:

Why do these people have to be so hateful and ignorant? The depth of their hypocrisy is baffling

22. avatar APBTFan says:

I’m getting real effin’ tired of being labeled a racist.

On this blog and every one of the other dozen I follow in not one article has Obama’s race been an issue, only his politics. It is ALWAYS the libs and progressives that bring up race in articles.

I couldn’t care less if a Presidential candidate is a half martian transgendered midget with a mohawk as long the career and voting record is solid and I feel I can trust them to do most of what they say. I was of voting age in 1989 and my entire voting career has been choosing the lesser of two evils. Maybe in the rest of my lifetime there will be a candidate that I get truly excited about.

1. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

‘half martian transgendered midget with a mohawk’. Closed my eyes and tried to picture it-laughed so hard I choked. Still giggling now as I type this….

2. avatar Jeff says:

Went to the range yesterday. 8 lanes. One OFWG and me (30-something white guy). The rest: Two young Hispanic men with a young Hispanic woman. A middle-aged African-American man. A middle-aged African-American woman who was shooting separately. A young Polish immigrant. A 60-year old white woman with her daughter. We are a diverse community. (And since this was in a Chicago suburb, I bet the OFWG was a Democrat.)

1. avatar APBTFan says:

That’s the thing. All they do is pigeonhole shooters into one ridiculous and narrow stereotype when that is the furthest from the truth. They hate stereotypes of minorities, religions, genders and sexuality but it’s open season when it comes to gun owners. Textbook double standard.

2. avatar Tama Paine says:

This.

I see this every time I go to my gun clubs and shows.

And then there are all the diversities that people choose not to wear on their sleeves or cannot be easily seen at first glance–freedom of and freedom from religion; nationality; ethnicity; sexual/gender preference/exploration; disabilities; and so on.

Ms. Tucker occupies a nice little niche beating certain drums for career and profit. Her columns have always truck me as dimwitted and propagandesque…but it’s no doubt the best she can do, because her thinking/writing has never done any better. She is fortunate to have been born at a time when such modest intelligence and capacities could be so richly rewarded based on accidents of birth or orthodoxies concerning them.

3. avatar William Burke says:

“I’m getting real effin’ tired of being labeled a racist. ”

HELL YEAH!!! If those aren’t fighting words, I don’t know what is. I’m pretty sure a lot of judges would agree. Utter fighting words too often, don’t be surprised if one day you go home bloodied and sobbing.

1. avatar APBTFan says:

The libs left Congress the other day bloodied and sobbing in part due to their smearing of gun owners as racist.

4. avatar Ardent says:

Hmm, I’d have voted for a half Martian transgendered midget with a Mohawk in the last presidential election provided he/she was pro 2A.

23. avatar Shenandoah says:

“So it was probably naive to expect that he could drum up support for more reasonable gun safety measures.”

Uhhh, but if we’re in decline and there’s only a few of us survivalists left, (obviously living on compounds in Idaho) how the heck did WE drum up enough support for our cause?

You really can’t fix stupid…

1. avatar William Burke says:

Really, it’s more like stubborn than stupid. Lotsa stubborn, with stupid in tow.

24. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

she is divorced. trying to get some info on her ex-husband. want to buy him a beer for wising up. . . . .

25. avatar Taurus609 says:

“But as hunting has become less popular and as the number of households owning guns has declined the ranks of gun owners have become over-represented by conspiracy theorists and assorted crazies and kooks,” Cynthia Tucker writes. Google is not Ms. Tucker’s friend;

Or the FBI webpage…..Over 100,000,000 new NICS background checks with 700,000 denied in the last decade. So how does she explain 993,000,000 firearms purchased in the last decade as declining!

1. avatar Gotta Love the South says:

I think you might mean 99,300,000. One billion guns in a nation of 300,000,000 would be a lot – though some might argue that P/R/S for every man woman and child is about right.

1. avatar Taurus609 says:

Yep, you’re right, I looked at it twice and still got the subtraction wrong. Although the 100 million NICS is correct!

That’s why I can’t understand how antis and even Pro gun folks still come up with 300 million guns in America. If it was 300 million a decade ago, and we’ve added 99,300,000, how can it still be 300 million!

1. avatar Ardent says:

While I too think the actual number of guns in the US is something on the order of 3x higher than the estimate in the report that was on TTAG today (I’d explain why but it would be a text wall), NICS checks are done for all sorts of things other than gun sales. CCW permits come to mind but there are others. Still, even if only a 10th of the checks resulted in gun sales the number of guns would be far higher than indicated.

In short the actual number of guns will always be (drastically) under reported. When you consider that there are still quite a few revolutionary war era rifles around and lots from the civil war, and then figure in civilian gun purchases over the last 230 years. . . what percentage of guns bought in the last 100 years aren’t still in circulation? I’ll bet it’s well over 50% and probably more like 75%+.

Guns are seriously durable items and also usually revered to some degree by those who own them, the result being that few are ever destroyed.

26. avatar إبليس says:

Gun control advocates are classist, snobbish, racist, and anti-gentile in that order. F*** em’ . Whenever a gun-banner whines I say with a smirk “Don’t want them proles having guns now do we?” Good lulz to be had.

1. avatar APBTFan says:

I’d totally forgotten about Zardoz till now…..

1. avatar jwm says:

Sean Connery in a mankini. Some things just can’t be unseen.

27. avatar Paul53 says:

Turned 60 this year. NOW they tell me I’m a “racist kook!” Wasted my whole life as a paramedic and emergency nurse when I could have been enjoying the perks of being a racist kook. Well that really sucks! I wonder what else they haven’t been telling me?

28. avatar Totenglocke says:

Do you think she means by politicians who consistently push banning guns and have stated that their goal is complete confiscation of all guns? Or maybe she means that we’re easily persuaded that the government wants to confiscate guns when they buy enough ammo for a 20 year war, proclaim anyone who owns a copy of the Constitution a terrorist, train for attacking US cities, and train for attacking “fundamentalists who believe in following the US Constitution”?

29. avatar Gotta Love the South says:

I’m a black man and I’m sick and tired of the libs making gun control a race issue (as they also do with a lot of other stuff). For all of those who are with me on this, here’s something I regularly pull out of my hat to throw the libs off in a debate:

Gun control laws were a centerpiece of Jim Crow legislation in the south, and our modern gun control movement is very much a descendant of the government-sponsored racist fervor to disarm law-abiding black citizens in order to ease the confiscation of their natural and constitutional rights. Now, the federal government wants to do to all citizens what the Jim Crow southern governments did to blacks, and IT’S JUST AS WRONG!

In fact, the NRA adopted much of its modern aggressive pro 2A stance from the more radical wings of the civil rights movements of the 1960s who were ardent defenders of their right to be armed for self protection both against criminals and the government itself.

As a bonus, this general line of argument also applies to a lot of other favorite collectivist/liberal doctrine. It’s great to remind them that all the things they profess to hate (racism, sexism, etc.) cannot exist for long in an unregulated free-market with a well armed citizenry but instead rely on codification by an all-powerful government that tramples on the rights of an (always unarmed) minority of one sort or another.

1. avatar Gadsd N. Flagg says:

I heard this same complaint from a neighbor, who (on the internet) is regularly branded as a racist. Except, of course, that he is a very black ex-military guy with a strong libertarian streak. He seems even more frustrated with the liberal race-baiting than I am…

OBTW, I have a text copy of an old Roy Innis article titled “The Racist Roots of Gun Control.” Roy is the National Chairman of the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE), and is an NRA Life Member. If you don’t have this article and are interested in reading it, please let me know.

1. avatar Tama Paine says:

He also appears in JFPO’s documentary “No Guns for Negroes”:

2. avatar Gotta Love the South says:

Thanks, I am interested. Try me at [email protected]

Love your handle BTW. I am fortunate enough to actually have the last name Gadsden in real life. Even though I came by it via slavery, I can still honor and feel honored by the message and intent of the flag.

2. avatar BierceAmbrose says:

This.

Wait a minute. Obama’s black? Holy crap! Does his mom know?

31. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

Liberals are the most racist people on earth. They simply can’t judge a man by the content of his character rather than the color of his skin. White (racist) conservatives love Alan West, Herman Cain, Mia Love, and Dr. Benjamin Carson but hate BO. Of course that only proves how racist we are(?).

1. avatar Ronald Chappell says:

Given the pedigree of Mr. Obama, one wonders when discussing the aforementioned, Alan West, Herman Cain, Mia Love, and Dr. Benjamin Carson just who is not black enough.

32. avatar Aharon says:

I had discussions with hunters (of one I am not) how they are not happy with the number of new hunters getting into the sport. Their biggest complaint is that hunting has become more dangerous because so many people new to guns and hunting are unaware how to practice safe hunting out in nature.

33. avatar Fred says:

You can’t argue with the race card. All us whities have to feel race guilt for slavery and give into her claims and demands. Too bad gun control is racism. Oh, and you’re all crazy for being enslaved by those things called facts. Free thinkers don’t need facts, they make it up, that’s why they’re free thinkers, they’re not bound by reality.

34. avatar Dave S says:

Playing the racial card is annoying. A person’s character, and qualities of integrity, honesty, and plain speaking are way more important then the color of their skin.

35. avatar AFIraqVet says:

She’s been Atlanta’s village idiot for quite some time now, with no signs of slowing down.

1. avatar Herb says:

I thought it was the former Congressthing Cynthia McKinney who was Atlanta’s village idiot. You know, the one who lost because of “dem JOOOOZ!!”

Remember, a “racist” is defined as “someone who is winning an argument with a liberal”.

1. avatar Ardent says:

+1 Herb on your last line.

36. avatar Mediocrates says:

You are not quoting The Cynthia Tucker, are you? That fool woman has been bat shit crazy for decades. No wonder the AJC is doomed.

37. avatar CarlosT says:

“They can be easily persuaded that the government is on a mission to confiscate their firearms. There is little doubt that paranoia is amplified by the presence of a black president, who represents the deepest fears of right-wing survivalist types.”

Or maybe they’re persuaded because people like Feinstein and Cuomo coming right out and saying that’s the goal.

As for Obama, I think the fact he’s the first President to openly order the assassination of an American citizen is plenty of paranoia fuel, and should be for everyone, regardless of race or political affiliation.

38. avatar Silver says:

I always did find it funny how those supposed tolerant and colorblind people always manage to bring race into everything. It’s projection at its finest. Just like how gun-grabbers are psychotically obsessed with guns with no logical or rational reasoning, due mostly to their own inadequacies and latent violent tendencies, they’re obsessed with race and calling others racists to mask their own inability to see past color.

39. avatar TankYou says:

I haven’t read all the responses, but when I clicked the link to her Wiki page, her Occupation say “political race card avdocate’ and she is Known For “biased left wing propaganda passed off as journalism.” I wonder how long that will stay up on Wikipedia, but at least we have some non-commie allies who edit Wiki pages.

40. avatar uncommon_senes says:

I disagree with your assertion that hunting has become more popular than ever … depending on your precise definition of “popular”. You provided evidence that the public attitude toward hunting is the most positive in recent times and I do not dispute that. However, every source that I have ever found tells us that the number of hunters going afield every year has been declining for decades.

The loss of hunters in my state is so pronounced that my state has gone to some pretty great lengths to try and attract the next generation to the hunting sports … creating special youth seasons, easier training requirements, younger people allowed afield, etc.

1. avatar Ardent says:

I think that ‘hunting’ much like owning guns in general is largely an underground thing. Love it or hate it I know more people who would be called ‘poachers’ than hunters. Then again, it’s been that way in Appalachia since time out of mind.

41. avatar Ing says:

I have a counter-question for you, Ms. Pukelitzer Prize Winner: Why do you need 20 dead children? If it’s worth doing, then it can be done without killing children.

42. avatar Sam says:

I’ve known Cynthia Tucker her entire life.

She’s a barely literate fool. Got her job in journalism in the early days of affirmative action, and has been single-handedly lowering the circulation of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution ever since.

43. avatar Gotta Love the South says:

Well, I’d bet dollars for dimes that she doesn’t even read it, much less actually do any of her own research, but I wrote her anyway. Gotta start somewhere:

Ms. Tucker,

After reading your recent op-ed on the failure of the recent gun-control legislation, I thought that it might be beneficial for you to start exploring a little about the history of modern gun control. I hope to spark your intellectual curiosity so that you can find out that that history is an ugly one which has its roots in Jim Crow legislation with the intent to deprive certain citizens of most of their natural and constitutionally protected rights via the legislative process. You might also be surprised to discover that the modern NRA aggressive pro-2A stance is a direct ideological descendant of the more radical elements of the 1960s civil rights movement that sought to protect those same rights by force of arms if necessary. This is the actual history, and it’s relatively recent.

This video is an OK place to start. It will introduce some of the themes which you can fact check yourself, if you are actually curious and wish to learn more about the issues so that you can have a more informed opinion on gun control – either pro or con. It could be more intellectually rigorous, but you are probably better able to be so in your own follow-up research:

Adam Winkler also wrote a good piece on the subject in The Atlantic that’s a bit better than the film:

It’s also clear from your op-ed that you haven’t spent much time actually speaking to any gun-rights advocates, or spent much time among gun owners, or at gun shows, or even browsing the internet sites where guns are traded. I would encourage you to do so, as I think that you’ll learn a lot there as well. After doing so, I would challenge you to try and legally buy a gun yourself without submitting to an NCIS background check, either at a show, or on the internet. It’ll be much harder than both your article and the pro gun-control lobby suggest that it is.

As you dig into the subject with some honest effort, good faith, and intellectual rigor, I do believe that you’ll be hard pressed to emerge with the same opinions that you expressed in the article. Hopefully it may also become clear that given the actual statistics concerning gun control and gun crime, the demagoguery that’s taking place around the Newtown incident and the subsequent political push for addition gun control is quite telling. Within our lifetimes (and certainly those of our parents and grandparents), governments acted aggressively to disarm the black population via gun-control legislation in order to ease the confiscation of their natural and constitutionally protected rights as part of the Jim Crow system, often using the same arguments that modern gun control proponents use now. In the face of the actual facts and statistics (particularly those regarding the semi-automatic rifles commonly and mistakenly referred to as “assault rifles”), we would be foolish indeed to presume that the current push for gun control has a substantially different intent. Particularly when you consider that we have a president who has asserted the right to kill American citizens, on his say so, without due process, and asserted that right with legal justification that he’s keeping secret. That’s a pretty radical departure from an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution, and objections to that type of attitude about our status as citizens (in light of the recent push for gun control) can’t fairly be classified as having racist roots or overtones.

Respectfully,

An African-American Family Against Additional Gun Control (and there are lots of us).

1. avatar Ardent says:

Extremely well said Gotta Love the South!