I just absolutely have to call this what it is — a blatant lie by someone who is opportunistically trying to exploit a national tragedy to promote their agenda. Here’s what this guy said:
And the reality is that in the United States of America in 2012, it’s easier in many states to rent an automobile — to buy an automatic weapon than it is to rent an automobile. It’s more demanding.
Yep, complete and total lie. Here’s why.
First, let’s go over what you need in order to rent a car:
- Driver’s license
- Umm… Driver’s license
- Maybe a credit card
And here’s the requirements to buy a fully automatic firearm:
- Have around $10,000 in cash, more for “good” guns
- Submit two sets of fingerprints to the ATF for a background check
- Submit two passport photos to the ATF
- Fill out a Form 4 and submit it to the ATF detailing why you want the gun
- Pay a $200 tax to the government
- Wait 6 months for the ATF to perform the background checks and approve the purchase
There’s the option in some states to use a trust instead as the legal instrument, which still typically requires $10,000+ in cash and a 6 month wait on the ATF’s approval.
Explain to me exactly how whipping out a driver’s license and a credit card is “more demanding” than paying thousands of dollars and waiting months on end? Especially for a class of firearm that has been used in exactly two crimes since the National Firearms Act was passed in 1934?
I’ll gladly listen to any argument in favor of more gun control. Once those in favor have their facts straight and stop exaggerating, that is.