Tallahassee Man Arrested For Brandishing Gun at Local McDonald’s Over Bad Service

Image courtesy of WTXL News

Brett Taylor of Tallahassee, FL, owner of a local Lindy’s Chicken restaurant, was arrested last week by the Leon County Sheriff’s Office on Saturday over an incident that occurred in a McDonald’s drive-thru. A video showed him pulling a handgun and threatening employees after arguing over slow service.

Investigators say on Aug. 1, Taylor was brandishing the gun toward a 17-year-old employee who was slow to bring him a refund. The service was slow at about 10 p.m. when Taylor entered the drive-thru.

The McDonald’s is short-staffed, employees told Leon County Sheriff’s deputies, and customers often complain about the slow service.

The incident was recorded by a customer in the drive thru lane. Taylor yells that someone tried to fight with him over a hamburger. He draws a gun and says, “Come out here.” When someone can be heard threatening to call the police, Taylor says, “Call them, I want them to be here for this.”

Warning, foul language:

You can clearly see Brett Taylor clearly holding a handgun.

Taylor pulled the gun, according to investigators, and pointed it toward the door of McDonald’s where at least four employees were standing. A child inside the burger joint can be seen being ushered away to a car in the parking lot during the altercation.

Taylor now faces multiple charges including four counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, cruelty toward children, and improperly exhibiting a firearm. Two of those are felony charges under Florida Law.

comments

1. avatar Gman says:

And this is why we have to fight to have nice things.

1. avatar How_Terrible says:

^this

2. avatar MarkPA says:

As a purely practical matter, this is the way the world works. We can appeal to principle arguing that our ownership and use of – say claw hammers – ought not be impaired because a few people use that same tool to commit battery or murder. When guns are as popular among the voters as are claw hammers, that argument will resonate. But we aren’t there yet.

We can’t stop criminals from crime-ing. What we CAN do is take care to be on our best behavior; and admonish our fellow PotG to do so as well.

3. avatar 16V says:

Scrolled through all the comments, and nobody remembered…

1. avatar Klaus Von Schmitto says:

My manager at McDonnell Douglas in the 80’s was EXACTLY like Michael Douglas’ character in that movie. He was a ticking time bomb till the day he stroked out.

2. avatar jwm says:

Jeebus, Marty and Jobus. It’s a mickyd’s. Nothing there is worth pulling a gun over. Why would you even go there? I’m fat and I got more self respect than to hit a mickyd’s.

1. avatar Bloving says:

^this^
      There is only one type of meal I might occasionally crave from McD’s – breakfast (gimme that hash brown, dammit!).
      Absolutely nothing else on that menu is really edible.
      🤠

1. avatar Mark N. says:

For me it is the Egg McMuffin.

2. avatar Big Bill says:

This guy owns a restaurant, and goes to McDonalds?
      How does that work, exactly?

1. avatar Wood says:

I worked at a chicken joint for a few years in college. I’d eat anywhere else, anyTHING else but chicken. That’s why he was at McDs.

3. avatar Jon in CO says:

What a douche. Ya know what they say, never get between a fat man and a meal.

1. avatar ColoradoKid says:

Hey! I’m a fat man and I…ok, no argument here…

4. avatar RA-15 says:

Idiots like this moron give POTG a bad rep. No more Cary permit for you fool. All this over a burger. Go eat chicken at your own joint , wait You’l be eating slop at the Tallahassee police joint. Enjoy, hope your insanity was worth it.

1. avatar jwm says:

Do we know he had a permit?

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Not sure about license, but I’m betting he had access to alcohol and possibly controlled substances as well. This incident is just too far crazy.

2. avatar MarkPA says:

We don’t know whether he has a permit or not. Being Florida, it’s likely that he does. We ought to reflect on such incidents and consider them in light of the merits of Shall-Issue vs. Con-Carry.

In a Con-Carry state some @$$-hole thinks he has a Constitutional right to behave however he wants to behave. Not until he gets a felony/2-year misdemeanor/domestic will he have to reconsider his misbegotten ways. If he has to go through the trouble of applying for a permit it may dawn on him that he retains that permit on “good behavior”. Maybe – just maybe – this will register with a few of them.

The news media will be sure to publicize every incident that embarrasses gun carriers. It’s their only viable avenue to slow the movement toward right-to-carry. (There is nothing we can do to force them to publicize DGUs.)

We are in a PR fight. We have to be as good at the game as are our skilled opponents.

3. avatar Jon in CO says:

He doesn’t give me a bad name. He doesn’t make me look bad at all. He makes himself look like a dumbass.

1. avatar Nick says:

Dude, I get what you mean.
        But if you are a member of the gun rigts community then he absolutely makes you (and me) look bad.
        Things like this only embolden people who play up the stereotype of gun owners as trigger happy white dudes with anger issues.

1. avatar Doc Samson says:

Exactly this. It is unfortunate but perception usually does, indeed, equal reality. Most people (present company excepted, of course!) are extremely superficial and today’s media only allows and enhances said superficiality…

2. avatar LarryinTX says:

I have to side with Jon. The way to keep jackasses like this guy under control is to pass laws that make what he did a hanging offense, then kill him for it, if it’s all that important. But that in no way grants you the authority to interfere with *my* rights in any way. The justice system should deal with people who DO unacceptable things, and leave everyone else alone. We are not living in a police state. Yet.

5. avatar Ed Rogers says:

What an @sshole!

6. avatar John Boch says:

Brett:

You’re going to have plenty of time in prison to shave that neckbeard and ponder on your poor choices. Pulling a gun over poor service? Did you expect five-star service at McDonalds? C’mon.

And you owned another fast food joint? Man, what’s wrong with you?

7. avatar Eyes Open says:

You see him holding a gun, not pointing it at anyone and then placing it in his truck. You do not see where it came from. Brandishing and threatening? Did you hear him threaten to shoot or hurt anyone? Did you see it pointed towards anyone?

1. avatar ColoradoKid says:

Doesn’t matter. He’s still an a$$hole and deserves some time in the pokey.

2. avatar 2a says:

Oooops I just looked at the legal definition of brandishing – Dude is screwed!

3. avatar MarkPA says:

Merely holding it up as a display to intimidate is brandishing.

4. avatar Hannibal says:

If you are holding a gun at the range in preparation to practice fire you are not brandishing

If you are holding a gun during a heated argument at McDonalds, you are brandishing

This isn’t that hard. I bet even a jury can figure this one out.

8. avatar ollie says:

Arguing over bad food or service is a waste of time.
    Things get screwed up sometimes or someone is having a bad day and it’s best to just let it go.

That stooge could have eaten at the fanciest place in town for a month with the money he’s going to be spending on fines, bail, lawyers et al.

9. avatar former water walker says:

Gee I felt like pulling a gun at the local Goodwill today. Of course I DIDN’T as they hire developmentally disabled to (even!) man the checkout line…

1. avatar Jon in CO says:

Most of the people at goodwill are smarter than this dude.

2. avatar Hannibal says:

I find the same problem every time I try to use one of those silly lines with “self-checkout” written above them…

I don’t believe that there are any worse tasting chain burgers in the known universe than McDonald’s. They taste like they’re made from ground up cow sh!t seasoned with sawdust. Besides, McDonald’s burgers will kill a person just as effectively as any gun.

OTOH, In-N-Out burgers are actually worth fighting for. Five Guys too.

1. avatar Gunr says:

I noticed that Five Guy’s were rated number one in a past consumers report mag.

1. avatar Indiana Tom says:

Five Guys is the best of the burger joints around here.

1. avatar Hunter427 says:

No five guys does not makes the best burgers, i make the best burgers. They over cook them like all chain stores due to health codes. I don’t eat at fast food shit holes if it can be absolutely avoided.

2. avatar 16V says:

So, you’re a fully-containerized parapalegic, and the only “food” they’ll bring you is Five Guys?

Protip: They want to crush whatever will to you live you have left.

3. avatar Hannibal says:

Five guys burgers are overrated. At least the beef part. They do overcook it like everyone else. At least the stuff around the patty looks like it’s food, though, unlike at most fast food places.

2. avatar Gordon in MO says:

I want you to know that McD’s uses the highest grade sawdust in their products…..only the best for their customers.

11. avatar Idiot Gun Owner of the Month says:

I own Lindy’s Chicken. That’s why I eat at McDonald’s.

1. avatar Paul McMichael says:

Do you really own a Lindy’s? It’s a local institution. Chicken fillet sandwich is the best. Breast taken off the bone and put on the bun while you watch. Don’t add cheese. Mayo, mustard and pickle only. Buy two. One for now, the other for later when you wish you had bought two. Now, to the matter at hand. Many reasons to introduce a firearm into a situation. A Big Mac ain’t one of them. Brandishing? In Florida it’s called improper exhibition of a deadly weapon. The guy made a serious mistake. This one incident negates 100 justifiable uses of a firearm to stop a crime in the eyes of the nonshooting public. Thanks asswipe.

1. avatar Paul McMichael says:

Wait, Idiot Gun Owner of the Month. Could you be a troll? I ask because no one with a taste bud in their head would choose McDonald’s over Lindy’s. I think I’ll go pick up a couple of fillets now. Fries and coleslaw. Oh, a jalapeno please.

1. avatar FedUp says:

That was me, speaking (sarcastically) for Mr. Taylor, who has no sane reason for going to a McDs and going ballistic.

12. avatar Huntmaster says:

He must of been having a Mac attack!

1. avatar SouthAl says:

Or he is the Hamburgler, incognito.

13. avatar Paul McMichael says:

Okay, sorry FedUp, had no way of knowing. I respect, and enjoy, your posts.

1. avatar FedUp says:

I just can’t imagine a local business owner getting arrested and telling the cops what he does for a living. That goes double for when you’re arrested for Gross Tomfuckery at a competing business.

1. avatar Paul McMichael says:

Standard question, “What/where are you employed?” This guy, based on what we know, was ate up with a serious case of terminal dumb ass. What are you going to do? In any subset of the population there is a certain element of morons. Thankfully, we have fewer of them than the right. If “dumb ass” really terminal the right would be extinct.

1. avatar Paul McMichael says:

“On the left.” I meant. Been a long day.

14. avatar Calvin says:

Five words in, I think I found your problem. Thank me for my service.

15. avatar MLee says:

Some people get damn cranky when they’re hungry.

1. avatar Mark N. says:

He shoulda had a Snickers.

16. avatar Matt says:

I get it I have been the victim of HORRIBLE customer service (and insane lack of common sense and intelligence) at Mc D, Burger K, Walmart etc. I find it easier to boycott.

Idiots with a gun hurt us and our dear 2A maybe even more than all the leftist gun grabbers. They feed them. “You see we told you…”.

Owning and carrying a firearm is a responsibility. If you think you might pull it out just because someone took “your” parking spot or because you got a quarter pounder instead of a fish sandwich, it’s not for you period.

17. avatar New Continental Army says:

Wow. What a lardass.

18. avatar Jason A Somers says:

Lol Reminds me of Michael Douglas in Falling Down. Did he pay for his meal before he was hauled off?

1. avatar FedUp says:

I hear he tried to speed up a refund by pulling a gun out.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Sure, I can see how that would probably work.

19. avatar Bob in IN says:

There was a time at taco bell where there took my money but never called my number. Several times. Just skipped me. Waited several orders after my number before requesting to be served. Order lost. How these places stay in business is beyond me.

20. avatar ATTAG Reader says:

Back when Saturday Night Live was funny, with John Belushi as the Samurai customer/chicken restaurant owner, and Chevy Chase or Eddie Murphy as the McD employee, I could see this being the makings of a great skit. Without the handgun and with a fake samurai sword. Playing this out in real life with a real gun – not funny. And yes, it gives all of us a bad name.

1. avatar Klaus Von Schmitto says:

We don’t have any shortage of sword/machete/hatchet/ax attacks in Florida either.

21. avatar B-Rad says:

It was another Florida Man sighting, that guy has a history.

22. avatar Alfonso Alfredo Rodriguez says:

Last time I checked, there is a 3 year mandatory sentenced for committing crimes with a gun to be tag on top any other sentenced. So, unless that is no longer in place or just used to force a plea bargain (should not), this moron is facing jail time plus loss of voting and 2A rights. The court should not take in consideration any apologies and use this bastard product of an incestuous breeding no leniency since any contrition is just for show.

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Any such law should exclude brandishing as the crime, getting too circular. I can get behind such enhancements for rape or robbery, etc, but when the gun is the crime in the first place, enhancing punishment for having a gun because you had a gun at the time seems more than stupid. And I saw nothing about doofus committing any other crime (robbery, etc).

23. avatar little horn says:

has he never been to McD’s before? bad service is kinda what they do. wouldn’t make much since to have shitty food and good service.

24. avatar george lortz says:

I refer y’all to Joe Pesci in his ‘Lethal Weapon’ debut. Leo Getz: They freak you at the drive-thru, okay? They freak you at the drive-thru! They know you’re gonna be miles away before you find out you got freaked! They know you’re not gonna turn around and go back, they don’t care. So who gets freaked? Ol’ Leo Getz! Okay, sure! I don’t give a freak! I’m not eating this tuna, okay?