84-Year-Old Gunfighter to Police: “I’m Not Hurting Real Bad”

Ohio Home Owner Shot Shoots Home Invaders

In Silverton, Ohio, outside Cincinnati, an 84-year-old man chased off two intruders while his 17-year-old grandson climbed onto the roof and called 911. The elderly man returned fire after the two male invaders broke into his home and shot him in the side.

When the 911 dispatcher got on the phone with him, he was, as the WCPO commentator observes below, calm and collected.

“I think I’ve been hit,” he said, “but I’m not hurting too bad.”

When the dispatcher asked him what happened, he answered simply, “I just fired a couple shots.”

“Okay, who did you fire shots at?” she asks.

“At those two guys.”

“Did you hit them?”

“I don’t know,” he answers.

“Okay.”

“I got a couple holes in the wall,” he adds cooly.

Both potentially injured suspects fled and are still at large. The victim is now recuperating in the hospital, and his condition has not been made public. We hope he makes a full recovery.

You can listen to part of the recorded 911 call here:

Under most other circumstances, both grandpa and grandson would be easy prey for criminals. But because grandpa was able to fight back on more equal footing with a firearm, both he and his grandson are alive to tell the story.

comments

1. avatar Loat Down South says:

DGU: Fake news, never happens.

/sarc

1. avatar Nigel the expat says:

Yep, Shannon, Mike and Sugardaddy have firmly said that DGUs never happen and you’ll just shoot your eye out.

It was just a flesh wound. To the fleshy part of his lung.

Live long and prosper, Grandpa. You are a serious badass.

1. avatar whoopie says:

It’s OK, he coughed up the bullet.

3. avatar GS650G says:

don’t mess with an old dude with one gun, he’s had plenty of time to learn how to use it.

4. avatar FedUp says:

Gunfighter? Seriously?
    Let’s perpetuate the “Wild West” fallacy some more…

1. avatar Tom says:

When you get into a fight, with a gun, its a gun fight, you are a gun fighter…..

1. avatar RA-15 says:

Exactly !! Well put Tom.

2. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

You’re a shootist.

1. avatar Nigel the expat says:

Elder Operator 😉

2. avatar Dave in PTC says:

Grandpa is a rootin’ tootin’ shootin’ tactical operatin’ seasoned shootist gunfighter.

But does he have a Glock?

2. avatar RA-15 says:

The “wild west” fallacy ?? Wtf are you inferring.

1. avatar FedUp says:

I refer to the concept, as seen in western movies, that gunfights were a common event in frontier towns in the 1800s.

The gun grabbers repeatedly predict everyday gunfights will happen ‘once again’ if any gun law is ever loosened (it didn’t happen in the first place, nor has it happened in any state that relaxed carry laws in the last 30 years).

1. avatar Bloving says:

A fair point.
          If gunfights were really all that common (thank goodness they aren’t), they wouldn’t be newsworthy.
          🤠

2. avatar Hannibal says:

While the wild west is largely mythos, it’s hard to argue that this guy is not, by its very definition, a gunfighter.

And winner, too.

3. avatar NCA says:

Much of old west lore is mythos, but tombstone and a couple of other places really were the “Wild West” for while. The myth is that everywhere was like that all the time. It wasn’t. Just as today everywhere isn’t Chicago and saint Louis.

3. avatar b72512ga says:

An octogenarian operator operating operationally.

4. avatar LJPII says:

So you’re saying there were no “gunfighters” or gunfights in the “old west”? That’s weird.

1. avatar rt66paul says:

Guns were expensive tools in the “Old West”, not many people owned them, just as not many people had a horse of their own to ride where they wished. The whole reason the stories were told was that a gunfight was a rare event, and was usually at some rich guy’s orders.
        Yes, there were gunfights and drunk men(who only got to town once a year) might do anything, but this was only common in boom towns which were lawless for the most part because the people who had the money did not want to hire people to protect the rabble.

1. avatar LJPII says:

Not many people owned guns or horses in the old west? Where are you getting your history? Even the poorest of the “westerners”, native Americans, had both guns and horses. I believe you think you know history, but you really don’t.

2. avatar LJPII says:

Let me give you an example. Have you ever heard of the Dalton gang, and the shootout in Coffeyville Kansas? The Daltons and fellow gang members rode into Coffeyville on Oct. 5, 1892 (the end of the “Old West” period) with the plan to rob not one, but two banks at the same time. While robbing the banks, word got out to the local citizens what was happening, and they turned out armed (you know, with the guns you claim they didn’t have), and they, along with local Law Enforcement, shot the hell out of the Dalton Gang members as they exited the banks. Several people died, including 4 gang members.
          There are many more examples of such gunfights in the old west. Now, if you were to say ‘gunfights at high noon, with two gunmen facing off and performing a quick draw spectacle, did not actually happen and is Hollywood bullshit’, then I’d have to agree.

5. avatar anonymoose says:

I just drove my 84-year-old grandpa back from Tennessee last night. Last time he shot was qualifying with an M1 Carbine over 60 years ago, and he’s probably not going to take it up again now that he needs a walker to get around.

1. avatar Kendahl says:

One of our trolls claims that it’s easy to run away from an unarmed criminal. He never replies when I remind him that won’t work for someone who needs a walker to get around. That doesn’t mean such a person is helpless. If he still is sound of mind, has reasonable eyesight and manual dexterity, he can draw a handgun from the basket of his walker and shoot the criminal.

2. avatar Southern Cross says:

My service rifle shooting club has a number of septagenarian and octagenarian competitors. They still keep up with us young ‘uns.

6. avatar RA-15 says:

Good for you grandpa. People think they can attack , prey upon their elders , rather than respect them. Wrong !! Nothing levels the field like one with a gun that is willing to shoot back. I don’t care how old a person is , if you’re 90 or 19 I would not want to have you shooting at me. I wish you a full recovery. I also hope you nailed the scumbags that were trying to invade your home. Unarmed this may have read : dead grandpa 84 yrs old & his grandson shot by home intruders. Protect you and yours. This is why good people have guns. Lets keep it that way !!

7. avatar Lon Loren says:

Guns are always needed for survival. It’s the job of every living to stay alive.
    I’m glad we can poses the tools to do that for now.
    Drive on Grand PA.

8. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

My father was 85 when he passed. Up til a week before his death he lived on his own land and took care of himself. My father would have scoffed if you called him a POTG. But til his death there was a shotgun in his home.

Those old timers were cut from different cloth than us youngsters.

The old timers were cut from tough canvas cloth. The Tide-pod generation is cut from gauzy chiffon.

1. avatar Dave in PTC says:

With lace.

2. avatar darkstar says:

110% correct. The gauzy chiffon types would probably condemn the homeowner for defending himself. He should have just laid down and died dontcha know.

9. avatar Joe R. says:

When people tell you flat out that Society’s ‘over’ they mean for everyone and everything else. There’s only one response, and it ain’t to deal back-in the authorities.

If 911 ain’t a caliber, it’s not your immediate answer.

10. avatar Cruzo1981 says:

That’s great news, make a full recovery, we’ll keep you in our prayers.

11. avatar former water walker says:

Godspeed Gramps! I am also a grandpa but 20 years younger. I’d blow away home invading perps in a heartbeat…

12. avatar AZgunner says:

Glad he’s recovering. People trying to victimize the elderly pisses me off. It’s good to see he wasn’t willing to go down without a fight.

Firearms: the only thing that can allow an 84 year old man to hold his own against multiple young assailants. Here’s to hoping the perps crawled off and died.

13. avatar ironicatbest says:

Used to be, used to be , youngsters respected their elders. Now we are just easy marks. I’m not passing judgement, however my opinion, that 17 year old grandson should have been in the mix instead of on the roof with 9-1-1.

1. avatar Gun Free School Zones are a crime against humanity says:

I have ingrained in my spouse, kids and grandkids that when poppa gives an order to follow it and ask why later. I give very few orders. I’m fairly laid back. So when I tell you to duck, just duck, don’t look to see why or question. It could be your last bold move.

That 17yo grandson could have been ttrained is just such a fashion. He may never have handled or fired a gun in his life. He may not have even known his grandpa owned a gun.

The reason for me to do the fighting is simple. I’ve done it before. And if something bad happens to me it’s worth it to protect my loved ones.

And if things really go sideways I can be spared, either for the grave or the prison much easier than my loved ones.

2. avatar LJPII says:

His 17 year old grandson probably wears skinny jeans and sports a man bun and groomed beard. You know, the usual millennial hipster. But hey, he didn’t spill his Starbucks milkshake scrambling up to the roof, so he’s good.

14. avatar usmcb1047 says:

Don’t mess with us old folks ,we are old but still can and will kick ass. I told a young man I caught on my property I am to old to run and to fat to fight ,but I will bust a cap in your ass if you come around with intent to steal or break into my house.Most of my life is over with you still have a lot of living to do ,but you will end up filling a hole if you mess with me or my family!!